Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts from the student section...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 4,960

Thoughts from the student section...

Oct 4, 2016, 1:26 PM

I'm sure everyone is tired of these posts talking about the same thing. I've been coming to Clemson games for as long as I can remember. One of my earliest memories is beating Florida State in '03. I've been to nearly ever single Clemson home game as far back as I can remember. I know I haven't been around as some of you old love-able farts, but I've had my fair share of grand experiences in Death Valley.

My first game as a student here was 2013 Georgia, and man was that a fun one. The student section was rocking all night long, much like it was for the FSU, Louisville, and USuCk games since I've been here.

Last week was different. I could feel it in the air starting on Thursday. Walking around campus and downtown as everyone started to roll in for the weekend, GameDay setting up, and the RV campers parking out by the baseball fields. Families of alums, young and old, visiting the place that we all love so much. It was heartwarming to see young families walk their kids around campus much like my father did for me not so long ago. I could feel a spark.

That feeling continued to grow throughout Friday, and waking up Saturday morning I could hardly contain my excitement as I woke up my roommates blaring the "Tiger Rag" and "We Too Deep" over our speaker system. Driving to campus at 10, it was already bustling and the parking lots were filling up. Hopping tailgates and consuming ridiculous amounts of food left everyone in a great mood. Every fan ecstatic, as it was the first big home game of the season.

The day crawled by ever so slowly for me, but 7 o'clock came along and my friends and I headed into the stadium and claimed our seats on the Hill. During warmups, the countdown clock lasted forever, but before we knew it, we prayed and sang the national anthem, and players boarded the buses bound for the Hill.

That spark I talked about earlier had grown into an electric current that flowed through each and every fan in Death Valley. It was surreal.

I don't need to summarize the game for everyone, we know how that went, so I'll wrap it up quickly.

I have NEVER seen Death Valley that way, in my relatively short history of coming there for gamedays. It was like no other, and when Marcus Edmond sealed the deal for us, it was almost as if the entire student section had been filled with wild animals. Hugging, yelling, jumping up and down, picking up random strangers, nothing mattered because we had won, it was unreal. My younger brother was with me, and I turned to him and told him to NEVER forget this, because he had witnessed something special. Tears in my eyes, we all sang the Alma Mater, and I stood there in silence, just soaking in the atmosphere.

I love Clemson, I love football, and I wouldn't trade last Saturday (or any Saturday for that matter) for anything.

If you made it this far, thanks for reading. Go Tigers!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thoughts from the student section...

Oct 4, 2016, 2:57 PM

great post. Thanks for sharing!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you have restored my faith in the youth of this country***

Oct 4, 2016, 2:59 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Too long...

Oct 4, 2016, 3:40 PM

Read it all. Great post! You definitely get it!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2016, 3:45 PM

Nice post. It's a rare and difficult thing to articulate what is different and special about Clemson.

You came as close as I've seen.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2016, 4:05 PM

Thanks for the comment. I tried my best, but as you said, it's difficult to put these things into words. I think the closest anyone has gotten was "Something in These Hills"

We sat beside the students and I can't tell you how many

Oct 4, 2016, 4:14 PM

high fives and hugs we got. It was spectacular and absolutely electrifying. I personally found them quite respectful to us old codgers. I still have no voice and my hands are still numb celebrating with them.

From one of the lovable old farts . . .

Oct 4, 2016, 5:08 PM

The student section was awesome last Saturday! I was so proud of the way the students became the 12th man. You are so right, you will remember that game for the rest of your life! Go Tigers!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2016, 5:17 PM

Wow! Great post. You were certainly able to articulate something that usually can't be put into words. I am proud to call you a fellow Tiger!

Huzzah! Well done!***

Oct 4, 2016, 5:19 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2016, 5:23 PM

Very good. I could feel the enthusiasm in your writing

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Oct 4, 2016, 5:25 PM

I'm a 2007 alumni, student from 2003-2007. My hallmark games as a student were 2003 FSU & 2006 Georgia Tech spiller/davis.

The game Saturday was the best atmosphere I have ever experienced at a Clemson game. The crowd was insanely loud and the game was epic. Best $150 I ever spent!

Oct 4, 2016, 6:26 PM

@raginranger I fondly remember those too, although I was a little punk just waiting on my turn to join everyone in the student section.

Excellent; reminds me of the letters in

Oct 4, 2016, 5:47 PM

The magazine I found in the rack next to my father's recliner back in 1980. Same enthusiastic recollection, albeit a different subject.

WL

POTD!!***

Oct 4, 2016, 6:29 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good post!***

Oct 4, 2016, 6:33 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There were many years, not too long ago,

Oct 5, 2016, 6:26 PM

When the student section was roundly and rightly criticized for not showing up (or staying) at games. Oh, how that has changed in the last couple of seasons. The student section is back where it should be, as the heart of the stadium, and that section is LIT every single game. I sit in the opposite corner from the student section and they are a joy to watch even from way over in my corner.

Nice post my man!

Oct 5, 2016, 7:12 PM

Sounds like you've got your head screwed on straight, you'll go far!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think

Oct 5, 2016, 8:46 PM

That someday you will make this post when you have been attending Clemson games for 60 plus years as I have. Last Saturday night was among my top five. Go Tigers

Oct 5, 2016, 8:51 PM

I'm one of the lovable old farts(ha) who has been a season ticket holder since 1978 and I would have to say you're exactly right! I'll never forget that game and our section was doing the same as the students! Love my Tigers! (And I'm so glad they didn't move the student section... Love it right where it is!)

Replies: 19
| visibility 4,960
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic