Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thoughts by this fan on Dabo threat to leave
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Thoughts by this fan on Dabo threat to leave

Nov 25, 2018, 8:01 PM

It's from another website:

Coach Swinney,
I agree with what you said. A 21 point win over S.C. is fine with me any time. The defense played one really poor game out of 12. You said that yourself, that the defense played poorly. The staff has certainly earned the right to have their judgement trusted to fix the problem. Having said that, Clemson gave you an opportunity that likely would not have been given you at another school of similar stature. Clemson also stuck with you and allowed you to learn and grow when it looked for a time like you might be in over your head. Now to be sure, you have taken the opportunity and developed it and magnified it into what it is today. But for you to throw a hissy fit and threaten to leave over some fans agreeing that the defense played poorly last night is at best irrational and at worst ungrateful. You have been a blessing to Clemson. Just for a moment think where you would be without Clemson. Probably a lot less well known and almost assuredly lighter in the wallet. Chill. Most fans don’t know cover 2 from quarter quarter half. But they know we got lit up last night. Y’all will fix it and you’ll get stroked with people saying “Please don’t go Dabo”. I want you to stay here as long as you want to. But don’t threaten us. You’re one of the greats but Clemson was here a long time before you and will be here long after you’re gone. Take a minute and reflect on what Clemson has done for you not just what you’ve done for us.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lighten up Francis...***

Nov 25, 2018, 8:05 PM

Re: Thoughts by this fan on Dabo threat to leave

Nov 25, 2018, 8:08 PM

There is a huge difference between saying the defense laid an egg, which it did and saying it felt like a loss which for some reason seems to be being pushed around (cough, cough, tnet).

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

Dabo’s earned the right to say what he said.

Nov 25, 2018, 8:10 PM

None of us should be acting like a bunch of spoiled, entitled brats. Our fanbase is better than that. I’ve been a fan for over three decades. I’m very grateful for what Dabo has done here and will never complain about a 21 point win over SC.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo’s earned the right to say what he said.

Nov 26, 2018, 1:57 AM

Threats are for ######...leave if you want...leave quickly. But threaten...grow up Dabo. Get off your high horse.

Stature ? LOL

Nov 25, 2018, 8:10 PM

Dabo's now THE REASON for that stature.

Maybe Dabo heard some things...

Nov 25, 2018, 8:13 PM

...most of us didn't hear. I was a little dismayed at what Dabo said to be honest. I think he sort of overshot the criticism by a LOT. I think his response was a little out of character and probably just a result of being a stressful game in lots of ways, weather, pass defense breaking down, pressure to perform for the committee, rivalry, blah blah blah. He's happy to have it behind him and a W in his pocket.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was pretty disappointed to read that he said this tbh

Nov 25, 2018, 8:37 PM

Nov 25, 2018, 8:14 PM

Probably a poor choice of words. Nevertheless, everyone is happy with the win., nobody is happy with the way the defense played but I expect some things to be worked out in practice over the coming weeks. A lot of big games coming up! Looking forward to watching. Focus people focus....

Nov 25, 2018, 8:16 PM

I can't believe you would even post that.

Nov 25, 2018, 8:20 PM

One of the best posts in a long time.

I think the main point of the fan was "Don't threaten us"

Nov 25, 2018, 8:20 PM

As a graduate and fan too, I tend to agree with that sentiment.

Re: I think the main point of the fan was "Don't threaten us"

Nov 25, 2018, 9:21 PM

Don't push Dabo too much or it could be another 20 effing years before we even win an ACC Championship .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2018, 8:23 PM

You do realize that he was being sarcastic right? He wasn’t threatening to leave, he was simply saying that If winning by 21 to your in state rival upsets you, you have serious issues! Nothing more and nothing less!

Nov 25, 2018, 8:39 PM

Thank you! My goodness some people overreact to everything. By posts like this you’d think Dabo actually said the fans need to hush or I’m out of here. Him saying that would basically be the same as me saying after a crazy day of work that if every day was like that I’d have to find another job. Nobody would hear me say that and think I was threatening to quit.

Nov 25, 2018, 8:59 PM

I agree with this post in its entirety. I am very glad that Coach Swinney and the staff he has assembled represent us and have taken Clemson to heights ever imagined. Having said that, Terry Don took a big chance, I doubt he would have done so at age 50, it's easier to be wrong and fade into the sunset when you can see retirement on the horizon.

I don't see this post as a slam, more a reality check for the symbiotic relationship between staff, players, administration and fans. Fans pay the bills, fans fill the stadiums, we all spend a #### of a lot of money to keep our Tigers relevant - not complaining just stating facts.

Our defense sucked last night, we also made the A&M QB look like a Heisman candidate, our safety's were lost and when your scheme puts a linebacker, Jalen Williams, one on one with Deebo Samuals - well, you're going to get lit up. Had our defense played better, we hang 80 on the coots.

Before you rip me a new one, I am a CU grad and have supported the program for the last 45 years - no more, no less than all of you. Like many of you that are long in the tooth, I suffered thru Hootie Ingram, the Red Parker years, Hatfield and West. We all want what is best for Clemson, but when you're pulling down $7-10M per year you are subject to questions, comments and yes, criticism from your fan base. Go Tigers!!

Dabo never threatened to leave

Nov 25, 2018, 9:12 PM

I think if you go back and read it, he was implying it was time for that fan to leave.

Nope. Read what he said.

Nov 26, 2018, 12:20 AM

“Just look around college football, there’s a lot of people that would love to have the program that we have here, I can tell you that. 12-0 ain’t good enough? Then it’s time for me to seek other places. Make sure you get that.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 25, 2018, 10:37 PM

I have no idea what Dabo meant by the remark or how he meant for it to be taken. Regardless, this whole curfufflle shows how spoiled we are. In 2015, we came much closer to losing to a USUck team that was much worse than this year's one. They definitedly had the momentum in the fourth quarter and it came down to a fourth down pass to Trevione Thompson to set up a touchdown that put us up by two scores, and even then our prevent defense in the final minute let them score to get within 5 with a second left. But then winning was new enough to us we did not see it as automatic. Partly because it isn't.

I warned before the game that all the talk about 66-3 was unrealistic. Whatever we think about the SEC, they are for the most part decent teams and the chickens are not the worst-probably second tier. Chickens had defensive problems all year but scored a ton against most opponents, even ones that beat them. I felt confident that the only way they could possibly beat us was in a shootout, but that it would probably be something like 35-17. While I did not see it as an up and down the field it was not realistic to think we could hold them to a single score like GT or Wake. So I was wrong, they can't beat us in a shootout.

Maybe everybody needs to take a breath. On Thanksgiving weekend, why don't we be thankful for an undefeated regular season for the second time in 4 years, and to be in the position for much more.

Nov 26, 2018, 12:36 AM

Great Post!!!!

I know zero .... that's ZERO ..... Clemson fans that are not happy with the win over the Coots. Dabo has found a straw man to go after and I am sorry Dabo, but the person you are describing does not exist. I was at the game and can name several fans and others that were not happy with the performance of the defense ... namely Brent Venables and probably yourself (basing that on your comments about practice Monday and them not liking the tase of the medicine they took), but that is a far cry from criticizing our players commitment and record of great performance. So I would suggest that you clarify that you were not talking to the Clemson fans who you may have mistaken as the straw men who don't think you or the team have done enough.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2018, 3:38 AM

Wow, I blame Al Gore. Although this platform, none of this happens.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic