Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thought our DL played almost as poorly as the Safeties
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,472

Thought our DL played almost as poorly as the Safeties

Nov 26, 2018, 9:22 AM

We've had several guys running free in the secondary all season, but most teams couldn't exploit it because their QB didn't have a lot of time to throw the football. Bentley threw the ball 50 times. We probably made him uncomfortable on less than 10% of those drop backs. His pocket was clean for most of the night. Dabo said we stopped the run, but I wouldn't give credit to the DL for that. They gave up about 4 yds/ carry which isn't horrible, but definitely isn't good. SCar was more so incentivized not to run because they had to keep up on the scoreboard and because their passing game was working so well. There's no need to run the ball much when your QB is throwing for over 500 yds and you're able to consistently move the ball up and down the field without the threat of the run. This stuff doesn't even include us lining up offisides and the "monkey roll" stuff. Overall is was a very poor night for the front 4. SCar OL won the war in the trenches on that side of the ball.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thought our DL played almost as poorly as the Safeties

Nov 26, 2018, 9:30 AM

I am probably wrong but Ferrell seems to be called for a neutral zone infraction every single game. He is going to be a round 1 NFL pick but he cannot line up onside.

Lot of holding that went uncalled by the SEC refs hurt the pass rush as well, but I agree I did not think it was the best night for our D-line.

We always seem to have one game a year where the defense is just plain terrible. Odd that it was against an average at best coot team.

Nov 26, 2018, 9:33 AM

Unfortunately we could not rush like we used to due to them putting a lineman out wide. It made us
use our d-end to drop in coverage and not rushing or stopping run.

Nov 26, 2018, 9:37 AM

correct, as much as a hate to, I have to give them credit for that formation.

They didn't lineup like that every play though

Nov 26, 2018, 9:43 AM [ in reply to Re: Thought our DL played almost as poorly as the Safeties ]

They sprinkled that formation in occasionally. We couldn't get much pressure even when they lined up in a more traditional formation.

Nov 26, 2018, 9:42 AM

Since we knew coming in that they were not going to be able, or try, to run the ball, there is just no excuse for their receivers running free all night. Our safeties were not going to have to support the run unless they started running the ball, so they could play deep and play the pass. The only reason that Scar had any success running the ball was because late in the game our safeties were playing the pass and Scar was able to break a few 6 - 10 yards runs. Of course it was too late then, but it kept their drives alive.

I'm still baffled why we didn't have more blitz packages installed for this game. Bentley also was able to hit some spots downfield when he was about to be hit, but to his credit it was where his receiver was supposed to be ..... and was. In another game, those throws could very well be intercepted. This defensive performance was a one-offer for us and a one=offer on offense for them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We blitzed on their second TD...

Nov 26, 2018, 9:57 AM

They picked it up and we got burned.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

did you watch the game?

Nov 26, 2018, 9:50 AM

most of those passes were short. ball came out 2 quick.

alot of those yards were YAC.

I would guess Scar studied the Duke game. .cutcliff did the same.

get the ball out in 2 seconds and the pass rush is neutralized. scar coaches came up with a a good offensive scheme. Jake and his wrs executed the plan well.

it happens.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

It was not the same DL performance as we got vs Duke

Nov 26, 2018, 10:11 AM

The ball came out quick vs Duke, but we were still hitting hitting the QB and effecting throws even with their quick game. We weren't hitting Bentley that often and he completed a number of balls down the field. SCar did not have the dink and dunk offense you are describing.

what duke game were you watching? thre 1st

Nov 26, 2018, 10:40 AM

half went almost identical to the 1st half of the scar game.

wasn't till the 2nd half that clemson pulled away...just like the Duke game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I need to ask you what Duke game were you watching?

Nov 26, 2018, 12:04 PM

Duke's QB threw for around 150 yds for the entire game on 43 pass attempts. He made a few plays on the first couple of drives in the first quarter, but he did nothing after that. The back of Duke's QB was green at the the end of the half because he was on his back so much in the 2nd quarter. Bentley passed for almost 300 yds in the first half. The Duke game and the SCar were definitely not the same.

Dare I say it... but sometimes you have to

Nov 26, 2018, 10:18 AM

tip your hat at the opponent and smile.

Give CBV a few weeks in prep and he can scheme up a hell-of-a defensive plan.

I'm not sure we prepped as well for U5C. It's been a while since the bye.

Pitt won't score over 12. We win huge.

Plenty of time to prep for the playoffs.

I thought they were being tackled every play***

Nov 26, 2018, 10:19 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,472
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic