Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A graphic showing why Clemson struggles in basketball
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 2,424

A graphic showing why Clemson struggles in basketball

Jun 17, 2013, 4:04 PM

http://deadspin.com/infographics-where-do-pro-basketball-players-come-from-513261549?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

The map shows hometowns of NBA players. We are surrounded by talent, but have very little in our own state.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A graphic showing why Clemson struggles in basketball

Jun 17, 2013, 4:08 PM

Darn I was sure it waS A FACILITIES PROBLEM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, it's a talent problem

Jun 17, 2013, 4:09 PM

We don't usually even land the occasional elite talent from our home state (neither does USCe, so at least we have that)

Re: Yeah, it's a talent problem

Jun 17, 2013, 4:16 PM

I don't guess I have posted more than fifty times that Clemson must have a big city, playground guy to ever become a factor in college ball. I have been a D. Coleman fan since he came to Clemson and I still believe he will be THE player next year,

Re: Yeah, it's a talent problem

Jun 17, 2013, 4:18 PM

I was concerned at the end of school when I saw something about he and Blossomgame still not being 100% physically. Seems they would be ready by now if they were ever to be ready. Of course I'm no Doc but it wasnt really encouraging news

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And all this time I was blaming Leggett and Bowden

Jun 17, 2013, 4:10 PM

;)

Thought it would show a photo of Karl Hess***

Jun 17, 2013, 4:24 PM

Not really.

Jun 17, 2013, 4:26 PM

A lot of, if not most good teams recruit well outside of their own backyards. Not only the huge schools with decades of consitent success and tradition, but smaller schools as well as schools who have recently gotten good. We have to be able to do that too - can't rely on our own backyard or use that as an excuse.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Clemson can't / doesn't recruit well nationally

Jun 17, 2013, 7:08 PM

We also don't have a bunch of elite talent that plays in state. We go into other states and pick up what they don't usually want for one reason or another. It's hard to beat teams using players those teams didn't want. It's not impossible, but it is improbable.

This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about.

Jun 17, 2013, 8:22 PM

Of course we can't likely do it without better players. Recruiting MUST improve significantly. But just because we never have recruited well it doesn't mean we can't. There is no mysterious curse on Clemson that prevents us from doing better; it's not because we don't have enough elite players in our backyard; it's not because we aren't in or near a large,vibrant urban area; it is largely due to the factors I have mentioned - a general lack of a long-term, consistent commitment to win in basketball.

We need better players. We have to convince them that we have big plans for our basketball program, and that we are 100% committed to win, and win big. That starts with new, state of the art facilities, and a coach that these elite high school players believe can get the job done.

And to be clear, I'm not saying that Brownell is not that guy. I think he is a fine coach and I'm a big fan; but if he is not THE guy, then we have to be prepared to move in another direction if we need to.

You have been beat down by years of disappointment, and I understand why you and so many others believe it's nearly impossible to win big at Clemson. I just don't think it's true, and if the powers that be do, then seriously, they should just scrap the basketball program and put the money to better use.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Clemson has never given top players

Jun 17, 2013, 4:28 PM

a reason to come play basketball at Clemson. Manhattan Kansas isn't some big urban city nor is chapel hill. Clemson"s problem very few people at Clemson care about basketball.

I don't know that up to date facilities, the right coach,

Jun 17, 2013, 4:40 PM

and a total, serious commitment to basketball would result in a top tier basketball program at Clemson, but it is certain that we'll be mired in permanent mediocrity without them.

- H. L. Mencken

You'er right do nothing

Jun 17, 2013, 5:13 PM

and Clemson will have a hard.time finishing above 10th place in The New ACC. But do fans care other than when Clemson gets beat?

I honestly think the support would be there from the fans

Jun 17, 2013, 5:28 PM

if we had a couple of superstar, All-ACC type players, and/or a team that could seriously challenge for the ACC title, but the problem is the commitment has never been there from the school, at least not with any consistency for a long time. Therefore, you now have a fan base, for the most part, who have gotten so used to disappointment that apathy has set in, and very few believe it is even possible for us to have a great basketball program. This mindset is due to, more than anything else, a lack of commitment and a few misteps and bad decisions, all of which CAN be corrected. So I firmly believe that we can have a winner at Clemson, and people would pack the arena to see it.

- H. L. Mencken

We have a GREAT HC; you just can't see it

Jun 17, 2013, 7:32 PM [ in reply to I don't know that up to date facilities, the right coach, ]

We lack a lot of things but BB is an outstanding coach. He has to recruit better but will not cheat to get the top players. It makes for a longer process, he's had some very bad luck with coaches and players but he will succeed. Hope you're there to witness it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, I don't necessarily disagree. I'm a big Brownell fan.***

Jun 17, 2013, 8:04 PM

- H. L. Mencken

One reason only players went to K.State

Jun 17, 2013, 7:09 PM [ in reply to Clemson has never given top players ]

That would be Frank Martin and his shady AAU connections (read Beasley, Michael)

Re: A graphic showing why Clemson struggles in basketball

Jun 17, 2013, 6:38 PM

So I guess we need to recruit more NBA type players.
Don't let UNC,Duke,or Louisville in on that little secret.

Lack of in state talent is only one of many reasons

Jun 17, 2013, 6:43 PM

the program hasn't had success

1. Lack of commitment financially both with coaches and facilities
2. Lack of support from the fanbase
3. Simply a lack of sustained success has resulted in an apathetic fanbase
4. Culture of the south is more football focused so the fans care about football then baseball then basketball.
5. Location of Clemson--tough to get to games during the week

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lack of in state talent is only one of many reasons

Jun 17, 2013, 9:37 PM

Number five is the key. Just like it real estate, it's all about location, location, location ............

I agree with all but # 4***

Jun 18, 2013, 12:24 AM [ in reply to Lack of in state talent is only one of many reasons ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 2,424
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic