Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Those who say that "all we have to do is win" are correct.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 791

Those who say that "all we have to do is win" are correct.

Jun 27, 2012, 3:05 PM

If we go undefeated every year - problem solved!

If we go 12-1, or 11-2 most years, we're on our way!

Of course winning solves almost everything - it goes without saying.

What you are either ignoring or overlooking is that there is some correlation between how much money your football program has and winning, and schools with less money are at a disadvantage to schools with more money. It's not a perfect correlation, and there are exceptions, but if and when the ACC is behind the "Big 4" year-in and year-out, we will be at a competitive disadvantage, a disadvantage that will only compound over time.

So, while of course winning is the answer, our problem is not as simple as just going out and winning.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Those who say that "all we have to do is win" are correct.

Jun 27, 2012, 3:12 PM

Could not have put it any better!!!

Additionally our 12-1 or 11-2 will not be as strong as an the same W/L record of an SEC/B1G/Big12 ...

i.e. 12-1 (ACC) < 12-1 (SEC) ... which is the problem. IMHO

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Those who say that "all we have to do is win" are correct.

Jun 27, 2012, 3:39 PM

So you're saying that CU at 12-1, but still the ACC champ will not be as strong as a SEC 12-1, non-SEC champ? The assumption being that the SEC champ is undefeated, at that point. Of course, if the SEC champ is 12-1, they get the nod over us. I think that until we know the values placed on SOS, Conf. Champ, etc., these discussions are just that. What I do agree with is that at 13-0 and the ACC champ, we are in and a lock at that. In the BCS, I'm not sure that would be true. The points about needing $$s to win are very valid.

I'd say more that winning is a good start

Jun 27, 2012, 3:33 PM

Not just for us, but our conference. If the conference as a whole can start winning more consistently, that raises our stock in the eyes of voters, which will help our SOS, which could help land a couple teams in the BCS again which could lead to more $. If we get a team in the playoffs when it starts that could win it all that will help the perception of the conference even further. If this stuff starts happening, then we might be able to squeeze out more $ in our first 5 year look in of our TV contract. This would be a catalyst for bringing in lots more revenue for the conference.

College sports go through a lot of cycles and I'm not one to sit here and think that b/c the ACC is where it is at now doesn't mean it won't change. Of course just b/c things go in cycles doesn't mean the ACC is automatically going to start doing better b/c it's their turn, but I look at the recruiting and the strides made football wise with facilities and coaches around the league, esp among the traditional football schools, and the future looks very encouraging. I think the ACC has as good a chance as any top be very, very good. What makes me happier is that Clemson should be one of the teams to help make this happen.

Personally I don't think the Big 12 has done enough to replace what they have football wise and I'm not very surprised they're trying to add schools b/c they look desperate to do so. Say what you will about those schools but I don't think Texas and Oklahoma can carry that conference. I also don't think TCU, WVU, and Oklahoma St can win consistently at an elite level to help the conference.

TCU isn't a bad school to be, but they've only beaten 1 ranked school from a major conference in over 10 years. I think things will change now that they've bumped up their competition level. From being a perennial top 5 team, I think they become a perennial top 25 team, which isn't gonna put the Big 12 over the top.

WVU clearly shows they can beat anyone in the conference, but they are way too helter skelter and haven't shown they can consistently win. As bad as the Big East has been WVU has never been able to run away with it. In fact, they've really only had 1 great season when they went 11-1 and won the Sugar Bowl. Other than that they've been a mess and they haven't shown signs of changing that.

Oklahoma St is actually the one school I do like. If anyone else can step up I think it's them. They have a good coach and great facilities. They seem to be here to stay. KState will be out the door once Snyder leaves, which is soon. Baylor was a flash in the pan IMO and the other 5 teams are garbage. You're gonna here Big 12 bloggers dog the ACC all they can b/c they know what's there right now and they want to scare people to drum up support to make their conference better. I don't see it happening now.

The Big East is dead and the Pac 12 also is very vulnerable when it comes to conference strength. I do think they are getting better too, but that could change and they certainly aren't great as it is.

I understand the concerns and I also understand some people like to think the worst until they actually see change. Nothing in the future is promised, things can always change good or bad, but as of right now I'm at least optimistic about the next few years.

Replies: 3
| visibility 791
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic