Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Those of you who successfully quit drinking
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 390

Those of you who successfully quit drinking

Nov 17, 2018, 10:17 AM

How did you do it? I’ve been sober for almost a month now but the cravings are really bad at times especially on game days because I love to drink beer when watching our games. Any advice would be appreciated. TIA.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bro weigh in on this...........

Nov 17, 2018, 10:19 AM

Beefsteak®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Attend some local AA meetings...

Nov 17, 2018, 10:25 AM

to be around and to discuss with others facing the same challenges.

I drank a lot of coffee as well. After about a month or so I couldn't stand to smell or be around alcohol.

Note: I was sober for a little over eight years, but a year or so ago I started enjoying beer again.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure. Friends and family always told me they stopped

Nov 17, 2018, 10:31 AM

by keeping their mind on other things. There's a long list of alcoholism in my family but I seem to be an exception for some reason. I drink. Sometimes I'll drink 4-5 drinks a day for a week or more. Then not drink for a few weeks. Then drink one or two a day for a while. Then get hammered, then not drink for a month. Never really have cravings to speak of. My dad used to drink every day, usually a bottle of wine and a mixed drink or two. But he never got really drunk, or hammered. And he always woke up and worked all day, and it was never a "problem" really. But I can drink 1, 2, or three drinks and stop. Usually I drink just enough to get a buzz and stop, or just maintain it. Today I'll probably start off with an Eagle Rare straight on ice (technically 2 drinks I guess), then I'll drink a beer per quarter for the game (Bud Plattys usually). Then that's it. I haven't had a drop since the game last week. And didn't drink the game the week before that. Doc asks me how many drinks I have per day and I have no clue because it can range from zero for weeks, to 4-5 a day for weeks, or 10 in a day. I guess it probably averages out to 1-2 drinks a day, but it's so irregular I can't really answer.

Anyway, best way to quit anything is to stop thinking about it. Don't keep track or count days. Don't get obsessed with NOT drinking. Just forget about it, if that makes sense. It's like losing weight. Weigh yourself every day and you'll never lose weight. Try and eat better, forget about the scales, and a month later step on them and you'll be amazed. Same with nicotine. Once you get past those first 2-3 days of withdrawal, just forget about it. Don't think about it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not sure. Friends and family always told me they stopped

Nov 17, 2018, 10:42 AM

That’s great advice. I really appreciate it. I’m not saying I’m never going to drink again but I wanted to challenge myself and see if I could make it to 30 days sober. The first week was extremely tough but I made it through. It has been getting easier but like i said, the cravings still get to me on days like today when we’re playing because thats when i would drink the most. Appreciate your reply

Try cbd oil.

Nov 17, 2018, 11:25 AM

It wasn't around when I quit. But that stuff might help with it, and other things.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-beeksteak-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First you need to have high high blood pressure.

Nov 17, 2018, 11:05 AM

The best way to reach that goal is to eat every meal like you're an injun going on the warpath and drink like a camel. Shooting pool in a bar filled with smoke won't hurt.

When you have totally ruined your health and realize you might want to live longer without being hooked to a machine you turn your heart back to God who will clearly explain that He didn't get you into this mess and He's not going to reward bad behavior by bailing you out.

You have a choice, you can drink like a fish, eat at Ryan's food bar everyday and die or you can realize what your behavior is going to put your family through and for the sake of them, if you don't give a chit about your family, grow a pair of nuts and conclude that the childish, selfish behavior is over and really quit instead of playing the 'I quit game.'

But then again, WTph do I know about anything?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As usual CT88, thanks

Nov 17, 2018, 11:16 AM

For telling us how you really feel. I have been working on cutting out the sugar coating myself.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Good one***

Nov 17, 2018, 11:54 AM [ in reply to First you need to have high high blood pressure. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whew at least I don’t ........

Nov 17, 2018, 3:44 PM [ in reply to First you need to have high high blood pressure. ]

eat at Ryan’s food bar or play pool in a smoked filled bar. ;)

Love ya ‘88 you always keep it real.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Those of you who successfully quit drinking

Nov 17, 2018, 11:18 AM

I have noticed that people with "addictive personalities" tend

Nov 17, 2018, 11:27 AM

to trade one addiction for another. If your personality demands it, you may have to pick up a new hobby to shift the focus away from alcohol.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The road goes on forever and the party never ends...

Upstate SC has this agency. Has helped some friends kids.

Nov 17, 2018, 11:30 AM

https://favorgreenville.org/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are behavioral health clinics that offer counseling.

Nov 17, 2018, 11:44 AM

I think most end up being free if you have insurance. Christian counseling through the church and AA are also viable options. I went to an AA meeting a couple of times but it wasn't for me. Works for many though.

It's important to seek out the right meeting group.

Nov 17, 2018, 11:52 AM

Some of them are just full of bozos that are there because the court told them they have to be.

We went to a couple in college because of punishment

Nov 17, 2018, 12:59 PM

I felt bad for the people with real problems being surrounded by a bunch of idiot college kids only there because they have to.

Get diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis

Nov 17, 2018, 1:08 PM

And make sure it's the seropositive type (the worst, most aggressive kind).

Drinking alcohol will cause crippling pain in your joints. It's a pretty good reason to stop.

Replies: 16
| visibility 390
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic