Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This write up from a Louisville site has me feeling better.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 2,456

This write up from a Louisville site has me feeling better.

Sep 29, 2016, 9:54 AM

Louisville's Offensive Line and Clemson's Defensive Line Are Trending Opposite Ways
I'll start off by saying that the Marshall game is a very small sample-size but it was very worrisome to me because all of the issues we saw last season came back around all at once. Penalties, snap infractions, lazy exterior pass protection, interior linemen being beaten with simple swim moves, and interior linemen being blown off the ball were all issues that popped up in the first half alone against the Herd. While "trending" might not be a fair characterization it definitely could be against what is arguably the best defensive line in the country. Louisville's offensive line absolutely has to start off the game playing well. They improved in the second half against Marshall and looked like they had in the first three games but Clemson is much deeper and their linemen won't be tired and undisciplined like the Herd.

The Tiger defense lost two of the best defensive ends in the country to the draft last year and they've somehow gotten better at making plays behind the line. The defensive tackle spots are absolutely killing it so far for Clemson and they could play a big part in the game Saturday because Clemson has the speed to contain Lamar Jackson on the outside if they only have to rush four guys. Honestly, most teams can do that. We all saw Marshall pull it off early on in the game last week. What Clemson has that most don't is defensive tackles that can actually keep up with Jackson in a small space. Carlos Watkins and Dexter Lawrence won't "run down" Jackson but they can track him down as he starts his scramble. Marshall was the first team to get penetration against Louisville this year and the offense wasn't able to get going early. Louisville absolutely has to find a way to stop this line from getting into the backfield because it changes the way the entire defense can play Lamar.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This write up from a Louisville site has me feeling better.

Sep 29, 2016, 10:02 AM

I've been saying this all season. When I saw Charlotte in their backfield most of the first half of that game, I got the feeling their OL is not very good. Charlotte weren't very disciplined, and Jackson was able to run around their linemen for good gains, but most of those early scores were from him scrambling. They, like Marshall, wore out quickly and didn't do much for the rest of the game, but I really expected FSU to dominate that OL. I'm still surprised by the outcome of that game, but hopefully it was a fluke, and we are able to contain and close the pocket on him.

I do think they will struggle with the noise. Hopefully we can get at least a few false starts or delay of games early to rattle them.

It's going to be a fun game this weekend. Our D needs to come to play, because that offense is no joke.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2016, 10:17 AM

Something to keep in mind when reviewing the Marshall game is that Petrino's intent for that game was to work on the passing game. With this in mind, we were not using the running game to help out the passing game and take pressure off of Lamar.

The few times we did run the ball we were very successful, but we were running VERY infrequently. On the first drive we ran the ball once, by Radcliff for 15 yards, and that was it for that drive. On the next drive we ran the ball twice, first by Radcliff for 9 yards, then Lamar on the next play for 8 yards. What happens next? Seventy one yard touchdown pass. Runs set up the long pass.

The next series was 4 runs and 7 passes. Next series was 4 passes and zero runs. Petrino much prefers a balanced offense, but it was obvious from the get go that he wanted to work on the passing game, but in so doing, without that balance to keep the defense honest, it made it tougher on the passing game.

But the author of that article is correct in the that this will be the best d-line we will face all year and we have our work cut out for us. I just caution that the Marshall game is not necessarily the blueprint to having success against us.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if you watch ESPNU's "Film Room" show this week

Sep 29, 2016, 10:26 AM

they show in great detail just how AWFUL FSU's LB's and DE's played against UL. They bit on everything. Two players would continually dive into the line and let Jackson free around the end. One play they had 3 guys covering a screen pass and nobody covering downfield. Absolutely terrible defense.

That show made me feel much better, as there is NO WAY our D does that kind of stuff.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That is one of the main reasons I think we win this game.

Sep 29, 2016, 11:39 AM

1. Our defensive tackles are extremely big and fast and can get pressure with only 4. You can't double team all three of Lawrence, Watkins and Wilkins.

2. Our team had two extra days to rest and prepare.

3. Death Valley. It's the first time Jackson has played in such a hostile environment.

4. Our quarterback and offense have shown they can throw and catch consistently when the run isn't working well. Jackson has not.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 29, 2016, 2:08 PM

bump

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 2,456
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic