Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Watkins, Billie, Capote Ineligible for Chick-fil-A Bowl
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Dec 18, 2007, 2:17 PM

Clemson starting linebackers Nick Watkins and Tramaine Billie, and starting offensive tackle Christian Capote, have been ruled ineligible for the Chick-fil-A Bowl game against Auburn due to academic issues. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

tempting to call the webmaster germans...***

Dec 18, 2007, 2:18 PM

What about Antonio Clay?

Dec 18, 2007, 2:20 PM

Is he still with us? Is he not a linebacker?

Good question.***

Dec 18, 2007, 5:54 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

@ MLB replacing C. Vincent***

Dec 19, 2007, 7:36 AM [ in reply to What about Antonio Clay? ]

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Re: Watkins, Billie, Capote Ineligible for Chick-fil-A Bowl

Dec 18, 2007, 2:22 PM

never mind letting down the team, they let themselves down. sad that it ends this way

All of them should be embarassed

Dec 18, 2007, 2:33 PM

Three 5th seniors who can't remain eligible for their final game. This is nothing but laziness and all of them should be embarassed and feel responsibility for letting their team down.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Correct in the case of 2 of them, incorrect on 1***

Dec 18, 2007, 2:35 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you know for sure...

Dec 18, 2007, 9:45 PM

Why don't you let everyone else in on the secret...

Or just shut up.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well ... I guess it is official now.

Dec 18, 2007, 2:36 PM

And, it still sucks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

We'***

Dec 18, 2007, 5:03 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Talk about letting your teammates down.....***

Dec 18, 2007, 5:34 PM

Absolutely pathetic. Nice way to end your college career.***

Dec 18, 2007, 5:34 PM

Lay off, they're graduating and life will hold way more than

Dec 18, 2007, 8:52 PM

college football for these young men. Life's long, so get one.

is that you Scott Baio?

Dec 18, 2007, 9:50 PM

Must be an inside joke between you and Ritchie***

Dec 18, 2007, 11:00 PM

Yes life does hold alot more now that their football careers

Dec 19, 2007, 12:27 PM [ in reply to Lay off, they're graduating and life will hold way more than ]

are done... which is exactly why they need to wake the h**l up. The time of people catering for all their needs is over. They wont have tutors helping them get a job. They are on their own now. They wont have employers that allow them to skip work all the time.

If these guys cant cut it when everything possible is being done for them to help them succeed, what does that say for their chances down the road in the real world?

Re: Absolutely pathetic. Nice way to end your college career.***

Dec 18, 2007, 9:08 PM [ in reply to Absolutely pathetic. Nice way to end your college career.*** ]

I hope they do graduate but the fact remains-you would think 2 senior starters would have enough maturity and team spirit to make the necessary grade-especially with the help they can get

Since you must know all the details of their situation...

Dec 19, 2007, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Absolutely pathetic. Nice way to end your college career.*** ]

Why don't you inform the rest of us with all the details so we can jump on the bandwagon of pummeling these young men who a few short weeks ago were cheered and encouraged as part of the Tiger family--which I am not sure you are a member of. Now that they have had problems that effect your viewing pleasue, you have the audacity to come on here and sarcastically toss away their contributions to Clemson like unwanted leftovers. People like you make me sick. I hope you may experience some humbling experience down the road as it sounds like you need some. In the meantime, show some respect for all our student athletes. It's no cake walk for any of them despite what you may think. The most "pathetic" thing in your post is you. Try being kind---it won't kill you!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, I don't know all the details of their situation. I do

Dec 19, 2007, 3:43 PM

know what Coach Bowden said, which was they had every opportunity to qualify. What that tells me is that they were just plain lazy and didn't do the necessary work. I look at it more as them letting their teammates down then them letting me or any Clemson fan down. And since you're not sure if I'm part of the Tiger family- 1999 graduate of Clemson, member of Iptay Collegiate Club while at Clemson, member of Central Spirit while at Clemson, current Iptay member and Iptay Rep. Oh yeah, 2 of my brothers graduated from Clemson also. I'm not sure what your qualifications are, but I definitely consider myself a Tiger.

Still no reason to bash them. If you really get down to it

Dec 19, 2007, 3:59 PM

almost all of our problems are our fault. You may even have some yourself. I think that was the point. I'm not questioning your fanhood and I know it's easy to forget these guys are people ,but maybe they should be allowed to make a mistake without being personally attacked.

Re: No, I don't know all the details of their situation. I do

Dec 20, 2007, 6:48 AM [ in reply to No, I don't know all the details of their situation. I do ]

My qualifications: My dad=class of 38, brother-class of 68, self-class of 80, niece class of 92, both of my daughters are currently enrolled. You are still very young. I used to be so much like you in being judgemental of situations such as this. There are ALWAYS 2 sides to a story. Your scenario is a possibility as is my implications of some extraordinary circumstances in some of the cases--1 I know of. Life is a whole lot easier if you give you fellow man the benefit of the doubt and encourage them rather than if you make a snap judgement without all the facts and denegrate them in a public forum.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We "pay" them to play. We paid but they broke the contract.***

Dec 19, 2007, 7:41 PM [ in reply to Since you must know all the details of their situation... ]

Please tell me you are not serious!***********************

Dec 21, 2007, 12:07 AM

Please explain how that's not true. Even MORE asterisks.***

Dec 22, 2007, 2:45 AM

Re: Since you must know all the details of their situation...

Dec 21, 2007, 2:50 PM [ in reply to Since you must know all the details of their situation... ]

Stop hugging trees and think FOOTBALL which is what this topic is about. This isn't MR. Rogers Neighborhood. You want a turn the other cheek attitude? Go read the Bible...This is a football forum so stop whining and go pick up some Vagisil. Also, stop being a hypocrite. You talk about kindness, yet you insult the fans for having an opinion. At least this guy graduated...that is already more than we can say for some of these "Student-Ahletes". Notice it is not phrased "Athlete-Students"!!! The required GPA has been the same for all 5 years they have been at the school, it hasn't changed. They knew what they had to do. The bottom line is the players are students at this college who are supposed to be here for an education. Football comes second to that. Those players put their education on the back burner and treated it with no respect. "Everyone has problems in life"...NOT AN EXCUSE. I don't know about YOUR "qualifications" and I don't give a d**n. But I do know that during my 4 years with the US Army, I, personally, served three of those years overseas AT WAR. Two in the Iraq war, and one in Afghanistan. So whining about having problems as an excuse carry's no weight in my book. We have soldiers who fight wars with 80% of their time, and yet still find a way to get an education through distance learning, or night school with the remaining time. Football practice does not occur during class hours, nor does it occur while the students are out partying rather than studying. Standing behind a commitment is a characteristic of a MAN. Sooner or later, these BOYS must be taught that lesson. If you can't see that, then it is you who needs the Humbling experience.

Who made you the boss?...geez***

Dec 21, 2007, 2:52 PM

look at it this way...we're playing with next year's team***

Dec 18, 2007, 11:57 PM

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Re: look at it this way...we're playing with next year's team***

Dec 19, 2007, 12:31 AM

great point.
glad to see people staying positive on the issue.

Dec 19, 2007, 7:37 AM

Where is all of our Bowden haters? Surely we should fire him over these kids' academic failures.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 19, 2007, 9:48 AM

Of course!! Everyone knows it was Bowden's Play calling that caused them to fail in class. B/c we all know that he gets paid 2.3 million dollars to tutor the athletes. I mean, what was he thinking, he should have blown off the rest of the well accomplished student athletes and left them out to dry so that he could do his job and read to them every night and play with flash cards so they could have good study habits!!!!

It's nice to see people have finally left Bowden alone and held the players accountable for their own actions.

Interesting how your opinion gas changed since...

Dec 19, 2007, 1:31 PM

an earlier post.

Re: Also, TB doesn't know what to expect from our team
Posted: Oct 18, 2007 2:56 PM Report Abuse Rate:

The coach has a quarter million dollar sallary or more to MOTIVATE the players into giving 100%. No one can predict a loss, especially one of LSU or CAL's caliber. But both of them played hard until the bitter end and no one can blame anyone for it. It just happened. Their opponents obviously worked very hard in preparation to win those games. But, I can guarantee you that the coaching staff for LSU will ###### a player out in a heartbeat if they don't give 100%. The talent level of Clemson is far supperior to South Carolina, but look at the difference in rank, record, and scoreboard. Blame the players for the lack of motivation, that's fine, but it is the coaches job to either get them motivated, or get them out of the game and find someone who IS motivated. We aren't talking about one loss here. We are talking nine years of sub-standard performance.

Your consistency in opinion is Germans!!!

Re: Interesting how your opinion gas changed since...

Dec 21, 2007, 12:26 PM

Touché!!! But were talking apples and oranges here my friend!! Bowden is a FOOTBALL coach. His job is to motivate players in the game of football and in turn, win games. He already has his degree. He isn't there to tutor athletes or further his degree, just his resume. If a player is a braindead moron, well that is the players fault. That player went through every grade from Kindergarten through 12th and if he learned nothing there, then there is nothing more that can be done. The player was planning to use college as advertising for himself for the hopes of a professional career and placed education on the back burner. If a player doesn't give the effort ON the field, then Bowden should pull him out. That IS his job. If the player does something stupid to get arrested, or the player can't keep his grades up, bowden has nothing whatsoever to do with it. He can talk with them about it, or remind them of the importance of maintaining grades, but he can not BABY-SIT them, nor can his staff. So I suppose in your opinion the proffessors should be fired too b/c the curriculum was too difficult?? Bowden wouldn't try to coach the basketball players nor any other sport b/c he is a FOOTBALL coach. So why would he be expected to teach an english class? It sucks for the players to be gone, but it is there own fault plain and simple. You obviously took the time to go back and read posts from months ago...perhaps if the players had your dedication, they wouldn't be so stupid. I neither like nor dislike Bowden. I just want to see the team win, whoever the coach may be.

If TB gets props for good behavior, should he get blame too?

Dec 19, 2007, 7:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Watkins, Billie, Capote Ineligible for Chick-fil-A Bowl ]

It seems like some people want a double standard. If Bowden's players do well off the field (academically and civically) some people want to credit Bowden. But if Bowden's players do poorly off the field (become academically inelligible or get arrested) then those same people hold Bowden blameless. And instead they want to blame the player. You can't have it both ways. Bowden either deserves the credit AND the blame, or he deserves neither.

Personally, I think practically all coaches strongly encourage their kids to make the right choices academically and civically, but the coaches can't babysit the players 24/7. So I don't give much credit or blame to the coaches.

Actually, it was Spence's play calling :-)***

Dec 21, 2007, 12:10 AM [ in reply to Re: Watkins, Billie, Capote Ineligible for Chick-fil-A Bowl ]

Maybe most Bowden "haters" are reasonable people?

Dec 19, 2007, 2:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Watkins, Billie, Capote Ineligible for Chick-fil-A Bowl ]

Maybe many of the people who are not Bowden fans didn't say anything because they know when to blame Bowden and when not to blame Bowden. Maybe they're reasonable people who simply have a different opinion of Bowden than you.

Maybe you're the one who's a "hater" because you want to turn this into an us-against-them issue.

I don't know of anyone who "hates" Bowden. I am one of many people who think that he's a slightly above average coach among serious I-A football schools, and that there are many coaches who could do better and bring us an ACC title once every decade or so. (For example, Jim Grobe brought an ACC title to lowly little Wake Forest in 6 years, with far, far less talent, worse facilities, no fan base, and no football tradition.) Those of us who are not big Bowden fans have NINE years of of data to support our opinion. So I think it's reasonable opinion, even if you disagree. Perhaps when the data doesn't support your opinion, it's easier to just label those who don't share your opinion as "haters". I think you'll find that labeling such people "idiots" is equally persuassive.

I do think it's disengenuous that so many Bowden supporters say, "Well he doesn't win championships but at least his kids aren't on the front page." Of course we all know that Bowden's athletes show up on the front page too for things like getting arrested for drunk driving (Vincent), getting arrested for smoking pot (Coleman before the Music City Bowl last year), failing to remain academically elligible, or having a bench-clearing brawl with South Carolina the likes of which was probably the most disgraceful thing I've ever seen from players in college football.

But I think most of us who don't support Bowden give him credit for running relatively clean program and recruiting well. (So do many other coaches like Jim Grobe or Bobby Bowden, only those coaches also win championships sometimes.) We just want a coach who can bring us an ACC title once in a while.

Do you think that's unreasonable? Do you think that it's Christian, adult behavior to label such people "haters"?

This will make it harder to suspend Vincent for his DUI,***

Dec 19, 2007, 2:24 PM

I hope so, but bust his chops later!***

Dec 21, 2007, 12:08 AM

Clemson still favored by 1.5-2.0 pts. by odds makers.

Dec 19, 2007, 2:31 PM

Based on my Internet search, it looks like the point spread hasn't changed as a result of these key personnel losses. If I didn't love Clemson so much...

Anyone want to comment on the SEC Tigers Academics?

Dec 20, 2007, 4:29 AM

Sheesh, Auburn's "philosophy" department gives degrees for dem athletes who can point at a book in the library. And @ Awebum, DA FEETBALL playURs get DWBLE points if DA BUK aint been colured in yat.

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Clemson's average SAT score: 1220. Auburn: 1170.***

Dec 20, 2007, 3:36 PM

Re: Anyone want to comment on the SEC Tigers Academics?

Dec 21, 2007, 12:51 PM [ in reply to Anyone want to comment on the SEC Tigers Academics? ]

My sentiments exactly. The coach didn't pull our players. The school is held to a higher standard and education comes first. If you can't meet the basic criteria, you don't play. That is school policy, and in some cases, NCAA policy.

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic