Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What are the thoughts on the USS Roosevelt captain....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 60
| visibility 1

What are the thoughts on the USS Roosevelt captain....

Apr 3, 2020, 10:00 PM

...who took the ship out of action due to coronavirus???

https://apnews.com/7f2f3bce5b311f764ee90d7d5d556473

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He should not have leaked his concerns to the press

Apr 3, 2020, 10:14 PM

Fire-able offense. Put nation’s security at risk.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems to be a lot of that

Apr 3, 2020, 10:28 PM

going around lately.

Nope.

Apr 4, 2020, 12:57 AM [ in reply to He should not have leaked his concerns to the press ]

You obviously never served much less during a war***

Apr 4, 2020, 6:44 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was referring to the dispicable accusations here

Apr 4, 2020, 12:48 PM

Nobody has accused Capt Crozier of leaking anything to the press. He sent a letter to a few too many people trying to get some action, while the number of infected sailors jumped from 3 to 26 to 36 and now to 150.

So he was removed from command. Meanwhile, the president pardoned a murderer and other war criminals against all advice from military command.

Went outside his chain of command.....

Apr 3, 2020, 10:21 PM

and made it public. A new officer knows better, not to mention the captain of an aircraft carrier.

Re: Went outside his chain of command.....

Apr 3, 2020, 10:30 PM

Pretty strict and well known. If he took it to his c/o as he says... Nothing was being done. Tough place to be in but imo Gov should have just said no comment or something.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What are the thoughts on the USS Roosevelt captain....

Apr 3, 2020, 10:33 PM

Lead, follow, or get the #### out of the way. He did none of the three until he got instructions from his command to choose door number 3. Glad this trait Showed up before taking those young men in to battle when it all on the line...problem is that people with no military training are questioning the correct decision Everything doesn’t end like the movies.

The Chinese Navy is grinning..

Apr 3, 2020, 10:55 PM

since they have a tougher command, better & more modern ships and possibly can defeat us in a real all-out war on the sea.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Chinese Navy is grinning..

Apr 3, 2020, 11:22 PM

No.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Apr 3, 2020, 11:32 PM

No.

The Chinese have a navy? Just a few years ago they purchased an Old retired US air craft carrier and added it to be the first of their fleet! It was a proud moment for them.

Apr 3, 2020, 11:24 PM [ in reply to The Chinese Navy is grinning.. ]

I don't really keep up with these things, but I'm thinking China doesn't have close to the navy that we have....

Certainly, I could be wrong...

Dec 14, 2015, 4:23 PM

They are on the rise. They are outbuilding us over 2 to 1 on new hardware. Not getting political, but Obama crippled our Navy and Air Force. China still has a long way to go, but they are moving fast to get there. We have a technological edge, but as the old saying goes "Quantity has a quality all of its' own."

Obama crippled the Navy?

Apr 4, 2020, 12:50 AM

How so?

Re: Obama crippled the Navy?

Apr 4, 2020, 1:17 AM

They are building new carriers, subs, destroyers, at an alarming rate. Lindsay Graham was having a fit about it several months ago.

You know it takes years and years to build a carrier?

Apr 4, 2020, 1:37 AM

The ships launching most recently were authorized under previous presidents including, wait for it, ..... Obama.
The build rate of submarines is not much different than 10 years ago, and it has nothing to do with either Obama or Trump. The construction of 10 commissioned boats, with an eleventh scheduled in a few days, was started under Obama. Some were authorized under Obama, some under Bush. Construction has started on 5 under Trump. Two or three of those were authorized under Trump.

My mistake,

Apr 4, 2020, 1:41 AM

you are right about China building a lot of ships. They want quantity so they can occupy as much space as possible in their sphere.

Apr 4, 2020, 1:23 AM [ in reply to Re: The Chinese Navy is grinning.. ]

They are out producing us but if their craftsmanship on their products is the same quality as the stuff in our Dollar tree and Walmart stores, we would only have to worry about them for about a week or so.

Apr 4, 2020, 7:36 AM [ in reply to The Chinese Navy is grinning.. ]

since they have a tougher command, better & more modern ships and possibly can defeat us in a real all-out war on the sea.

Ummm... No..The Chinese don't have a true 24/7/365 blue water Navy. They are doing their best to buy one but they ain't anywhere close to matching our capabilities. The Chi Coms know they can't tangle with us and win so they don't and won't.

Now a land war on Chinese soil - that's a totally different story...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Give it a few more decades

Apr 4, 2020, 9:36 AM

All of the manpower and manufacturing is on their side, they just need time and technology and they are pretty good at stealing the latter these days.

Apr 4, 2020, 1:16 PM [ in reply to The Chinese Navy is grinning.. ]

No offense Bill, but where did you come up with that? The navy I served in, was the most technologically advanced, the best trained, the most skilled, and most highly motivated in the world. Mind you, that was forty years ago, but from what I've seen, our Navy has only gotten better. We may not have the biggest Navy anymore, but we still have the best.

Apr 3, 2020, 10:55 PM

Skipper was in a tough spot , trying to get help for his crew in a rapidly degrading situation aboard his vessel while staying true to his oath and sworn duties .
His crew seems to believe that he was doing the right thing , based on their clapping and chanting of his name as he went ashore relieved .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Apr 4, 2020, 12:18 AM

Follow orders.

Apr 4, 2020, 6:36 AM

As a tug captain of over 25 years and the son of a 22 year USN veteran I agree , orders are your baseline .
This situation and this virus however is unprecedented , we're not talking about a few seamen coming back onboard with pubic lice . Preventing crew mortality has been and always will be a CO's responsibility .
I don't see how anything punitive that happens to this man is justified when the review is done as he was acting in the best interests of 4500+ sailors on his vessel .

Just how I feel on the matter .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Skipper was not in a tough situation.

Apr 4, 2020, 8:34 PM [ in reply to Re: What are the thoughts on the USS Roosevelt captain.... ]

Captain Crozier was in command of a nuclear aircraft carrier and talking to his superior officer was remarkably easy to do. Not liking the speed of response, he decided to write emails to the Navy requesting faster action and he sends the emails to enough people they were leaked? Are you kidding me? If 1000 sailors of the Roosevelt get sick he could and should still follow orders. His tough job was following orders?

well, if 1000 sailors got sick

Apr 4, 2020, 11:00 PM

on one aircraft carrier then it would be out of action anyway...….

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2020, 12:03 AM

Don’t know the whole story. As none of us do. Chain of command is in place to protect our military and the security of the United States. Regardless of circumstances. USN vet here.

Apr 4, 2020, 12:20 AM

Yep. No guarantees on safety or comfort when signing up.

TU — excellent reply. Communications preceded the email

Apr 4, 2020, 2:36 PM [ in reply to Re: What are the thoughts on the USS Roosevelt captain.... ]

may be significant. I would tend to believe discrete and systemic escalation within the chain of command would have have delivered better results and maintained confidentiality.

It seems logical that operational readiness is compromised when the crew’s health is compromised. So I am not sure why the Captain’s concerns would not be promptly addressed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 4, 2020, 12:10 AM

He should be court martialed.

He'd need to be accused of a crime first

Apr 4, 2020, 1:02 AM

He sacrificed an admiralship (if Trump wins re-election) to protect his crew. Definition of a hero.

Re: He'd need to be accused of a crime first

Apr 4, 2020, 1:18 AM

Definition of a traitor.

You can go after the 4,000 sailors cheering him next.

Apr 4, 2020, 1:43 AM

Re: You can go after the 4,000 sailors cheering him next.

Apr 4, 2020, 1:46 AM

Were you ever in the military? Democracy doesn’t rule.

Message was edited by: TheRock®

Re: You can go after the 4,000 sailors cheering him next.

Apr 4, 2020, 7:48 PM

Were you ever in the military?

Message was edited by: TheRock®

LOL. Can you imagine?

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

I think you need to look up the definition of "traitor"

Apr 4, 2020, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Re: He'd need to be accused of a crime first ]

Regardless of whether you agree with his decision, he's not a traitor.

Apr 4, 2020, 6:37 AM [ in reply to Re: What are the thoughts on the USS Roosevelt captain.... ]

Absolutely not .

DB23

Apr 4, 2020, 12:44 AM

And I’m praying for the men and woman on this ship. God may you heal them and protect them from this virus but also place a Hedge of Protection around them from our enemies.

Apr 4, 2020, 1:09 AM

I'd bet he'd been shot down when he floated the idea through channels. We don't know the details, but it's a good bet he had it on good authority that he wasn't going to get help for his crew that way. He then sacrificed his career to save lives. That took guts. His crew knew the score.

Apr 4, 2020, 1:19 AM

Aw hell no. You act as the media. If you don’t think the Navy takes care of their own then you are sadly mistaken.

The Chinese Navy has......

Apr 4, 2020, 8:50 PM [ in reply to Re: What are the thoughts on the USS Roosevelt captain.... ]

.....4 nuclear boomer subs that carry a total of 48 missiles.

The US has at least five times as many nuclear boomer subs that carry 20 missiles each.

The Chinese have 2 aircraft carriers.

The US has 11 aircraft carriers.

I think that the US Navy will be OK for a few more years.

Apr 4, 2020, 1:10 AM

ENOUGH. Y’all are bickering over Obama Chinese navy and bs. If you have anything to post support our troops and their well being. Jesus Christ help us all.

Apr 4, 2020, 2:04 AM

The problem with the Navy is that where are not enough Army or USMC officers running it.

Rangers Lead The Way!

Apr 4, 2020, 2:20 AM

There, not where....

Too much Jamison. Spoken and typed like a true infantryman, I know, I know.....

Apr 4, 2020, 2:22 AM [ in reply to Re: What are the thoughts on the USS Roosevelt captain.... ]

You do realize that the marine corp is under Navy command right?

Apr 4, 2020, 2:32 AM

Tell that to the Commandant of the USMC and let me know how the conversation goes. Marines often shift OPCON to TACON when they are task organized from the JFMCC to the JFLCC too, and they are usually very happy about that too because quality of mission command goes through the roof.

You have a point though... SECNAVY is responsible for both organizations.

Only good Navy Officers I ever worked with had tridents. Currently working for a submariner. Those guys are the worst.

Apr 4, 2020, 7:54 AM

Keep you chin up - I did several joint assignments in my 27 years in the Army. I worked with a handful of sub guys and every one of them had a screw loose. I guess it takes someone that's a little off to get on a boat designed to sink.

There are plenty of good Navy guys that don't wear Tridents - don't be fooled to think that Navy Spec Ops are the only guys worth their salt. Had a couple of great Navy Chiefs that worked for me that were top notch NCO's. The best Navy officers that I worked with were the LDO guys - former NCO's that were directly commissioned into the officer ranks. Every one of them I ever met was sharp as a razor blade. They always knew their stuff, always had their "pins" (surface warfare quals) and got things done - wish the Army had a similar program as the Navy LDO program...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Working for a submariner, eh?...

Apr 4, 2020, 1:32 PM [ in reply to Re: What are the thoughts on the USS Roosevelt captain.... ]

Those nuke submariners are sharp mother f$%@kers!

Apr 4, 2020, 6:50 AM

His troops loved and supported him apparently. They crowded the deck and chanted his name when he was let go in Guam. That said, he shouldn't have leaked the situation.

This story and perceptions/opinions/expertise thereof

Apr 4, 2020, 7:47 AM

Parallels many other topics. It seems the further removed one is from the 'event', the greater their level of perception/opinion/expertise. And, as time passes, it becomes less factual and more 'I think'.

There are bad stories being published...bad in the sense they foment fear and over-reaction, i.e., irresponsible in many respects. This morning, is one regarding a gov't briefing around the potential for food shortages. So...what's going to be the general fallout from that today? Hoarding Part II...III? Enough sequels, please.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This story and perceptions/opinions/expertise thereof

Apr 4, 2020, 7:59 AM

Perfectly summarized.

I'm inclined to trust the men who served under him

Apr 4, 2020, 8:08 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxDkffIKzCs

THeir feelings don't matter ,they should be put out also

Apr 4, 2020, 8:23 AM

NO SICK MEN IN THAT VIDEO LOL

There is a COC,that doesn't give a flying f0ck what his men think, that you liberal NUT JOBS don't care about if it goes against "your feelings" this POS put the whole ship at risk by letting the world know that the ship was compromised.

He went up his chain of command and was not getting help.

Apr 4, 2020, 10:40 AM

If there was a leadership problem, it was up his chain of command. There are thousands of his crew cheering the man. They know the man much better than anyone on Tigernet.

He had 137 crew members test positive for the Coronavirus.

Trump has divided this country into the far right versus far left. What does that lead to? Nothing getting done.

Apr 4, 2020, 9:55 AM

He CC'd at least 20 people, including press, but did not tell his boss who he was literally shoulder to shoulder with each day. This wasn't about his crew, he did this for himself. Most likely he was under fire for something and needed a way out. This was orchestrated and possibly treasonous. Guarantee that there's more to the story.

Re: ^^This

Apr 4, 2020, 4:13 PM

The Theodore Roosevelt is the flagship, so his admiral's office is 20' away. Either the captain failed to communicate clearly with his admiral, or he didn't trust his admiral's judgment.

Either he didn't keep his admiral apprised of the changing numbers, or his admiral didn't respond with the urgency he felt was warranted.

Every one of us who is not in command, in isolation or in a position of responsibility for 15,000 lives has had our perception of urgency altered by the changing numbers and new information. I have to believe the admiral would have changed his mind, too, but the captain robbed him of that chance.

Re: Also gotta figure

Apr 4, 2020, 4:27 PM

They had to relieve him of his command because it's all about precedent.

Even if he is cleared in an inquiry, the next captain to face this decision will understand there is no margin for error in failing to keep a combat vessel in a state of absolute readiness.

Apr 4, 2020, 12:44 PM

If following chain of command orders or an acceptable judgement based on his position, fine. Else, remove from command and discharge. The rules is the rules.

Apr 4, 2020, 5:32 PM

He went outside the chain of command and released readiness information, done. Didn't even bother to talk to the Admiral in the next billet over....

I'm with the crew...***

Apr 4, 2020, 11:02 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 60
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic