Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
OPEN LETTER TO HC DABO SWINNEY
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 58
| visibility 1

OPEN LETTER TO HC DABO SWINNEY

Jan 9, 2018, 3:01 PM

Dear Coach Swinney,

You sir are truly my hero. The way you have built our football program from average to elite, with the best yet to come, not just by winning, but by graduating men (future husbands & fathers) where boys once stood, making integrity, family values, community service and great character a required part of being a Clemson Tiger is amazing and inspirational to watch. I believe you are the best in the business today, and will go down as the best ever. It is my greatest wish that your career will continue at Clemson until you are ready for the rocking chair.

That having been said, I believe even the best in any field can sometimes develop a blind spot. As someone who has driven almost 4 million miles in a 30 year sales career, I concur completely with your windshield mentality, but I also believe one should glance in the side view mirror once in a while to be sure nothing has popped up in the blind spot. Before I say what I think your blind spot might be, I wish to stipulate that I am not qualified to carry your or your staff's briefcases when it comes to football knowledge and obviously inside information regarding players abilities or what they show you on the practice field.

So, on to the theoretical blind spot to which I am referring. I believe you have such loyalty to the more senior players, that you are sometimes reluctant to try a change to a younger and potentially better player when the current player is not getting the job done to the highest level. I believe that had you elevated Hunter Johnson & Tee Higgins to starting roles on a trial basis sometime prior to the Syracuse game, you might now be basking in the glory of a second straight National Championship instead of Nick Saban who took a risk last night and put a true freshman in at QB for the second half because the established and celebrated starter was not moving the team. I would urge you to try that when circumstances indicate ... it just might pay huge dividends. Again, this is offered with the greatest respect and appreciation for what you do ... and how you do it.

Best Regards ................... GATigerBC

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are a brave sole.

Jan 9, 2018, 3:04 PM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Deer GATigerBC,

Jan 9, 2018, 3:05 PM

TL;DR

Sincerely,
Dabo Swinney

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'I Cannot Sanction Your Buffoonery'

Deer GATigerBC,

Jan 9, 2018, 3:11 PM

I skimmed until I got to this line:

"....I wish to stipulate that I am not qualified to carry your or your staff's briefcases when it comes to football knowledge ..."

So I figured reading the rest wasn't worth my time. But it was worth my time to post about it not being worth my time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Faxing this would be faster.

Jan 9, 2018, 3:06 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Faxing this would be faster.

Jan 9, 2018, 3:30 PM

fax machines still exist?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, E-fax does. You know, like E-cigarettes.***

Jan 9, 2018, 5:53 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: OPEN LETTER TO HC DABO SWINNEY

Jan 9, 2018, 3:07 PM

With all due respect, prior to Syracuse we were 6-0 with an average margin of victory of 17.8 points (not including Kent State).

I get everyone is still upset about the game, but there was no reason for Hunter Johnson to be elevated. There was just simply no reason what so ever. You could make a case that a change could have been made in the Alabama game, but that is the only time.

Not to mention you're wanting to put your eggs in the basket of a true freshman that you've never seen play meaningful snaps, while these coaches see them going up against live bullets every day.

Did it work for Bama last night? Yes, yes it did.

Did Georgia's true freshman make costly mistakes last night? Yup, sure did.

Did Georgia go 8-5 last year starting a true freshman? You bet they did, in the weak SEC Least.

Lastly, if I remember correctly, didn't Higgins get hurt in the Bama game? How would elevating him earlier in the season changed that?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We would have been 9-4 with HJ as our starting QB

Jan 9, 2018, 3:14 PM

The one thing you can't have when you have a top 5 defense is an offense that turns the ball over and doesn't grind clock. KB was a perfect complement for our offense.

Re: We would have been 9-4 with HJ as our starting QB

Jan 9, 2018, 3:19 PM

Yup, and I fully believe that Alabama and maybe Georgia were the only two teams with defenses that could have stopped our offense enough.

At Cuse, HJ should have been put in

Jan 9, 2018, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Re: OPEN LETTER TO HC DABO SWINNEY ]

place of KB on a very bad wheel, plain and simple. Coaching misjudgment all the way. If the system is based on merit, as Jeff Scott says, then a 60% healthy QB (or even less) should have been replaced with the competent, talented freshman. If Saban could replace his HEALTHY starter when the chips were all on the line, I'm pretty sure we could have replaced an UNhealthy starter with a player about equal as talented as TUA. Saban is Saban for a lot of reasons, but one of them clearly is he has discernment about playing players on merit without regard to their record of class standing. Also, he rolled the dice in a different way with the onsides kick two years ago, so in this aspect he is ahead of everyone.

Re: At Cuse, HJ should have been put in

Jan 9, 2018, 5:29 PM

That's a pretty popular opinion, but what basis do you have for that opinion? Just that you think HJ would have been a better option? Or did you attend practices, scrimmages, etc.?

Re: At Cuse, HJ should have been put in

Jan 10, 2018, 3:07 AM

Uhhh..... Because KB is already a limited passing QB. But with the ankle injury his best asset (running) was limited to 60-70%. A 100% healthy HJ would have been better in the Syracuse game.

I don't know if it would have helped us beat Bama, but it couldn't have hurt. And at least we could have said we tried. KB after all was ineffective.

Jan 10, 2018, 12:37 AM [ in reply to Re: OPEN LETTER TO HC DABO SWINNEY ]

With all due respect, in regards to Syracuse. It was blatantly obvious KB was not healthy enough to play, during the second series. Yet he stayed in.... and we all know the rest of the story.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Jan 10, 2018, 3:02 AM [ in reply to Re: OPEN LETTER TO HC DABO SWINNEY ]

Bryant shouldn't have started the Syracuse game. Hunter Johnson Should have started. At minimum HJ should have started the second half. Not bring both 2nd and 3rd string QB's into the game well into the 3rd quarter after Kelly gets a concussion because he is so hobbled that he can't run fast enough to get away from a defensive lineman.

You have to be able to pass the ball to beat Alabama or any top 5 type team. Or else they will just send seven and dare you to pass. Bryant can't do that. Admit it. we were not a one dimensional team, but when we played top defenses they could stop the run by stacking the box and forcing us to pass quickly. KB isn't that type of QB.

I don't want to waste next year doing the same thing when we know we have 3 QB's that can pass better than him and read defenses better. Hunter J., Brice, and now Trevor L.

I think you should have sent this to

Jan 9, 2018, 3:07 PM

GWPTiger® 's mail sack, even though no one cares what his thoughts are on the subject.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

these kind of foolish

Jan 9, 2018, 3:13 PM

Statements are hopefully never remembered if Coach Dabo is offered another job at a competing school.

Instead, you might offer more praise and less advice. A guy who makes eight million plus per year will never take advice from a ‘fan’!

You talking to me?***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: You talking to me?***

Jan 9, 2018, 3:45 PM

Of course not. The original poster. I don’t recall ever making a negative post about you!

Everyone else does!lol

That didn't make me feel any better.***

Jan 9, 2018, 4:12 PM

Re: these kind of foolish

Jan 9, 2018, 3:32 PM [ in reply to these kind of foolish ]

FM makes $8 Million a year!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To Forrest Tiger

Jan 10, 2018, 10:50 AM [ in reply to these kind of foolish ]

Did you read the entire post? It was 95% praise and 5% respectful opinion ... with the stipulation that I am really not qualified to offer that opinion. My admiration for Dabo is without bounds and your criticism was without merit.

Dear gatigerbc,

Jan 9, 2018, 3:09 PM

And how much are you paid to post on message boards and offer coaching advise?

Go Tigers!
Dabo Swinney
Head Coach, Clemson Tiger Football
National Championship 2016
Multiple Head Coaching Awards
etc.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

OPEN LETTER TO you

Jan 9, 2018, 3:10 PM

Email him direct when you call him a dummy

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

This post may just be

Jan 9, 2018, 3:12 PM

The most uneducated, ill-informed, assumptive post probably the entire history of this forum.

The implications of your post regarding the aptitude of coach Swinney and his staff are jarring to say the least.

Think about what you are implying. Just think about it.

You honestly believe this staff is incapable of putting our best option to win at that time in the QB position. You honestly believe that?

I trust that our coaches are fully capable watching and evaluating practice and game footage.

You have probably not even attended one single Clemson football practice in your entire life yet have the gumption to sit here and make grandiose assumptions about our roster and coaching staff.

This is embarrassing.

You forgot to say that you award him no points.***

Jan 9, 2018, 3:16 PM

Re: This post may just be

Jan 9, 2018, 4:36 PM [ in reply to This post may just be ]

Anyone can offer suggestions, opinions, thoughts. It's just that the person who delivered this post is dead wrong. HJ or any other qb would have been overwhelmed by the 'Bama defense. KB is an excellent runner but could not shake the 'Bama onslaught. HJ does not run nearly as well as KB. He would have been a sitting duck. And who was he supposed to throw the ball to if given some time? The Clemson receivers were covered like a blanket for most of the game. Only Hunter Renfrow was able to get free on the final drive when the outcome had long been determined. No offensive line to block and protect the passer? No win situation. Look at FSPU over the last 3-4 years with their Oline. Only the great Delvin Cook was able to do anything. The rest of their skill players have not looked so good. No Oline, no win. Simple as that.

^^^^^^ Greeting Card Writer ^^^^^^^***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.***

Jan 9, 2018, 3:16 PM

Re: Objects in mirror are closer than they appear.***

Jan 9, 2018, 3:33 PM

loved The Far Side.

LOL Saban took a risk because he was about to get blown out

Jan 9, 2018, 3:17 PM

That was an act of pure desperation that barely paid off, not a stroke of genius to be emulated.

Jan 9, 2018, 3:19 PM

Well, here comes another hanging for sure. Not to fret, there is enough rope to go around.

I commend you on stating your stance, and well written I might add. You do not stand alone, nor will you hang alone. Swinging from a tree in a cool breeze seems to be the price to pay for thinking in such a way.

Jan 9, 2018, 3:20 PM

No one is "hanging" anyone, I just counter those arguments with facts because we have those. The people going on and on about Hunter Johnson being put in seem to think that the only outcome would have been he succeeds, which is certainly not the only outcome that could have occurred, and is actually a less likely one.

Jan 9, 2018, 3:33 PM

I didn't mean it literally.

I am one who believes that pulling Bryant after the pick six, in favor of Hunter Johnson would have been the best option to try and turn the tide.

I can't say that he would have led Clemson to victory. I can't say that he couldn't have either. We will never know. What I can say as a fact is this, Hunter Johnson would have given the Tigers a better chance in the vertical game. That is a fact.

What did Clemson have to lose? The game? It was obvious that Bryant fell to pieces mentally after that second interception. Why not roll the dice?

Are we worried about Bryant's psyche that much? If his psyche is that fragile, then he shouldn't be a signal caller. Bryant is fearless in the physical aspect, but he isn't even close in the mental aspect of the position. It shows.

This isn't about one guy. This is a team game. Use'em if you got'em. Roll the dice from time to time. You never know, they guy you put I'm just may become legendary. It's worth the risk in my humble opinion. I rest my case.

Jan 9, 2018, 4:25 PM

No, it's not a fact that Johnson would've helped in the vertical game because of the simple fact KB didn't have time to pass the ball vertically, and on the rare occasion he did the pass was dropped or we were interfered with.

People are acting like the offensive struggles were centered around only KB, which is incorrect.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a KB apologist, fan, etc., but I also don't believe in whining about something we didn't do because another team did it and it actually worked for them. That's the exception to the rule.

Jan 9, 2018, 4:54 PM

I would agree to disagree on the point of Hunter Johnson being more of a vertical threat. Hunter is a better vertical threat. I don't know how it would have played out. I'm not saying that he would have led a comeback. It was obvious that Bryant didn't scare Alabama at all. I would have rolled the dice.

Bryant swallowed his banana and lost his grapes after the pick six. He was a mental basket of fruit after that. You would rather go down in a sinking ship rather than throw out something that might actually float on a last ditch effort? Remind me to not ever get on a cruise with you, lol.

Stating my opinion and defending it doesn't constitute that I am whiny. I rather gamble on trying to grab something that will float rather than sink under water knowing I can't hold my breath that long.

That's just me. If you could understand the me, then I could understand the you.

Jan 9, 2018, 5:01 PM

Again, if the line would have blocked better/the running backs picked up blitzes then yes, Hunter Johnson could have been a better vertical threat. However, the former was not occurring so therefore the latter could not. Pretty simple.

After the pick six he was in no way a mental basket of fruit, he went 10-18 after that. For the game he was 18-36, by statistics that is a better percentage so you're actually incorrect on that front.

You can state your opinion and defend it, I welcome the discussion. However, talking about the same thing 8 days later is kind of sad and for lack of a better term, shows some butt hurt that you weren't listened to.

I know the cruise thing was a metaphor and all, but really you go with life and death instead of any other thing you could when discussing this? Over dramatic much, lol.

Jan 9, 2018, 5:24 PM

A majority of those stats you posted were on the last drive down the field after Alabama had backed off some defensively. That's why Saban was going nuts. The very next drive was a three and out and Bryant looked rattled.

If I'm wrong, then I will admit that my memory is failing me. I haven't been on the internet until late Sunday night. Went on a vacation with the family, camping in the mountains of NC. Boone to be precise. So I guess my butt hurt from not being on the internet until now has shown through. My apologies sir.

I suppose my over dramatic metaphor struck a nerve. Just wait until I break out the pink silk dress and then watch me become a real drama queen.

With that said, I enjoy the conversation. I have nothing but love for my Clemson family. Its just that I'm a gambling man, and I take it that you are not. There is no way of knowing now. To say that it wouldn't have made a difference is just as ignorant as saying that it would have won the game.

I would have took the risk, butt hurt and all.

Jan 9, 2018, 5:34 PM

The very next drive after the pick 6:

KB rush for 8 yards.
KB pass complete to Ray Ray for 1 yard.
KB rush for 2 yards. (First down)
KB sacked for -13 yards.
KB pass complete to Richard for 4 yards.
KB sacked for -4 yards.

Pretty plain to see you're wrong, and the common thread there is two sacks. Even with another QB in you can't throw vertical when linemen are running drills through your o-line.

Didn't strike a nerve, just don't see why that was the metaphor used. But hey, you do you man. If drama queens are your thing, then have fun with it, just not my cup of tea.

I also love to gamble, but when I gamble it's a calculated risk I'm not just willy nilly throwing money all over a table. To say it would have made a difference is just as ignorant as saying it would have, because what is in the past is in the past and there is no changing it now.

Jan 9, 2018, 6:01 PM

I stand corrected. Bryant performed like a man possessed on the drive after the pick six. His banana was in hand and is grapes were as big as ever.

You got me, dead to rights. I have no shame in admitting it. So if shame is what you expected, I'm sorry to disappoint.

I use the first thing that rolls through my head. If that metaphor bothered you, again, my apologies. Man, I feel like I'm writing a break-up letter to some chick. You have got me all kinds of sideways here. You, you are good my friend, lol.

You call me an over dramtic drama queen. I call it shooting the breeze with a fellow Tiger. I must have missed the boat, or did it sink?

In all seriousness, it doesn't matter now. That we both agree upon. I have my opinion, you have yours. Next time just ask if someone has been around to express their opinion before assuming they are just butt hurt.

Jan 9, 2018, 6:18 PM

Anyone ever have posts disappear and come back? Makes me wonder if I am missing other posts sometimes.

Jan 10, 2018, 11:15 AM [ in reply to Re: OPEN LETTER TO HC DABO SWINNEY ]

It's hard for me to believe that so many of you guys completely missed the point of my post.I did NOT suggest that Johnson and Higgins be kept on the bench all season and suddenly inserted into the lineup at half-time of the Alabama game. What I did suggest was maybe .. just maybe.. that if they had been used in the Syracuse game, and beyond if they performed, by the time Alabama came along we would have been rolling along well enough to be celebrating another Natty about now. I believe the Higgins for Cain change would have been needed along with the Johnson for Bryant change (strictly as a trial). Cain was not coming down with his share of the 50/50 balls and was dropping passes that hit him right in the "8".

It's irritating that you guys who attacked my post believe that my opinion has no merit but yours = fact. They both are opinions and neither are facts. The facts are in the possession of Dabo and his staff ... and NONE of us are privy to them.

You call that run on sentence laden letter well written?***

Jan 10, 2018, 11:28 AM [ in reply to Re: OPEN LETTER TO HC DABO SWINNEY ]

Dabo's old school.

Jan 9, 2018, 3:24 PM

You should have nailed your theses on the door of Oculus.

Jan 9, 2018, 3:32 PM

LMFAO, DABO SHOULD GET DOWN ON A KNEE A REJOICE IN YOU BEING HIS HERO. BUT HEY DABO, DONT TURN YOUR BACK. IT MAY GET A KNIFE STUCK IN IT.

Jan 9, 2018, 3:50 PM

When I read post like the one that began this charade I always wonder what affiliation the writer really has with The Tigers. It would be interesting to know when was the last time he bought a ticket and actually attended a game in the valley.

To ForrestTiger 2.0

Jan 10, 2018, 11:28 AM

You need to CHILL. The last time I bought a ticket and attended a game was 15 years ago, at which time my diabetes got so bad that I had (and still have)trouble walking from one room to another, let alone getting in and out of Memorial Stadium. I was also forced to quit working, so affording to attend a game also became a problem. I don't know how old you are, but people in their mid seventies sometimes have health problems that dictate drastic changes in their lifestyle. YOU SHOULD BE ASHAMED!!

Re: To ForrestTiger 2.0

Jan 10, 2018, 1:54 PM

I’m older than you .... kid

Hero?? That word should be saved for people...........

Jan 9, 2018, 4:07 PM

in the military in combat or police or first responders or doctors, etc. I admire DS too but there's nothing heroic about being a football coach.

your premise is based on a false narrative easily disproven***

Jan 9, 2018, 4:21 PM

Jan 9, 2018, 4:43 PM

Over the years I've found that coaches very seldom, if ever, read open letters on a message board, and if they do, never do they respond. The letters I've written directly to a coach have always resulted in a response and never have they called me stupid, even though I'm sure the thought crossed their mind. As fans, we at times become frustrated. We become frustrated at what they do and what they don't do. The "what ifs" don't rest on our shoulders but entirely on the shoulders of the coaches. We can wonder what would have happened had there been a different decision but that is only conjecture. But isn't our conjecture most often a positive rather than a negative result? Otherwise, we would not be raising the question.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, offering advice to your "hero"??

Jan 9, 2018, 5:39 PM

D@mn millennialists. This is why I'm going off the grid.

Re: So, offering advice to your "hero"??

Jan 9, 2018, 6:19 PM

I still don't understand how so many people think Dabo has some sort of weakness for playing veteran players over the younger guys. We've probably played more underclassmen over the past few years than any other team in the country. Guys like Watson, Watkins, McCloud, Cain, Wilkins, Lawrence, ETN, and Hyatt just off the top of my head have all been major parts of our success as true freshmen.

Yes, everyone wants to point at Stoudt starting the season over Watson, but that view is very short sighted. Everyone seems to forget that Watson was hurt in the spring that year. Even then, Watson got snaps in the very first game, pretty much split the snaps 50/50 the next week, and took over the job by the 3rd series of the 3rd game. It's pretty clear to anyone with any sense that the coaches liked Watson over Stoudt, and were trying to bring him along slowly due to the injury in the spring, and the road games against Georgia and FSU within the first 3 weeks of the season.

This season, is it really that hard to believe that a guy in his 4th season here managed to win the job in the offseason? At what point after the season started should Bryant have realistically been benched? After the first few games there were people on here wanting to talk about Bryant for Heisman, and several saying the team was even better than last year. He struggled a bit in the middle of the season, but we were still winning, and in the thick of a NC hunt. You could easily divide a locker room by making a change at that point, and that's even assuming that Johnson could have actually been better.

Yes, Saban made the change last night, but Bama was actually able to protect their freshman QB, and I also don't think our situation against Bama was the same as the Bama situation against Georgia. We looked bad on offense in the 1st half, but going into the half we weren't far removed from our best drive of the game where we got a FG, and could have perhaps gotten more had the PI of been called in the end zone. We were also only down 10-3. Bama on the other hand didn't have a drive like that, and were down 13-0. That's also not to mention that what Saban did was unique compared to what most coaches would have done. We rode with Bryant through the first 13 games of the season and got that far. I don't think it's crazy to ride him till the end.

Jan 9, 2018, 6:25 PM

Brb. Going to get some Adderall.

Jan 10, 2018, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Re: So, offering advice to your "hero"?? ]

What PI are you talking about? The one where he was trying to find Tee? If so, I've looked at it over and over and didn't see the PI - I saw Tee turn into a wonderful corner and kept it from being an int. the play he got hurt on.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He read this poast and will make changes accordingly...

Jan 9, 2018, 7:07 PM

Thank you for your service to Clemson football.

I wish

Jan 10, 2018, 4:26 AM

Clemson had a staff capable of winning a National Title...and getting to the CFP annually...

Does that qualify as sarcasm?

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MY open letter to HC Dabo Swinney

Jan 10, 2018, 10:34 AM

Dear Coach Swinney,

These are good times. Keep being awesome.

Sincerely,

8992Tiger
(class of '89 and '92)

This is way to wordy. could've been said in a single

Jan 10, 2018, 11:25 AM

paragraph. Just giving you constructive feedback. I understand i may not be able (or want) to carry your briefcase, especially if it is filled with wordy documents such as this.

Replies: 58
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic