Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This pending case is why I think college football will have a Super Conference
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

This pending case is why I think college football will have a Super Conference

Oct 22, 2018, 11:19 AM

in the next 5 to 7 years, if not sooner. If the players win this pending lawsuit for Clemson to remain at the top with Bama, ND, and like minded programs with the same $$$ philosophy new sources of revenue will need to be found, a Super Conference with a multi-billion dollar TV contract.

After reading this article I would like to know what others think.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/player-compensation-lawsuit-vs-ncaa-could-usher-in-new-round-of-conference-realignment/

Link is on CBS Sports App.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This pending case is why I think college football will have a Super Conference

Oct 22, 2018, 11:55 AM

The outcome of this hearing will be very interesting and will certainly change college athletics. Personally I hate to see conferences eliminated because the games usually take on a regional interest among the fans. A super conference would have a lot of positives but I’m afraid it would destroy the local rivalry games we all enjoy so much. In addition, road games could be a real challenge to even the most ardent fan. At some point in time, I see players receiving some kind of compensation. This has been talked about for years and years. The last decision to pay a small stipend seemed fair to me. College athletics is a BIG business and it certainly has big business problems. The rich get richer.
I hate to see college sports go in that direction. Some will profit from this proposed realignment but many,many of the fans of most schools will not be a part of this “advancement”.
I would not want to be the judge hearing these arguments.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This pending case is why I think college football will have a Super Conference

Oct 22, 2018, 12:54 PM

I am in total agreement with you. It is already a pricey day to attend a game and tailgate. I think college football players are well compensated already. They receive great coaching that prepare NFL caliber players for a lucrative $$$ future. They receive a free education, free books , great food, travel etc.. If they don’t make it in the NFL many, if they were smart enough to take advantage of their educational opportunities end up making a very good living. A lot of these guys are able to use their football contacts for employment opportunities that the average student who has to apply for financial aid and obtain loans are not privileged too. They get to keep a great deal of clothing and receive other benefits. Without that football scholarship many would have these opportunities.

To pay them means eventually that cost trickles down to the average fans. This is where you make a great point ForestTiger. It becomes a sport for the wealthy or over devoted fans. See A great example of what fans will do to attend games:

While traveling yesterday I was listening to the Philadelphia Eagles game on the radio. The announcers seemed to be impressed that many Eagles fans had to take out second mortgages on their homes to buy seasons tickets or spending their last dollar to buy an Eagles jersey. IMO those fans that would risk their homes for season football tickets need their heads examined.

A Super Conference would most likely eliminate regional games like the Clemson-SC game. I don’t know where college football is headed but I do not like the direction it’s headed. IMO its to late to slow down the train. The Big Money drives the train now, along with Vegas and the student athlete.

One either problem I foresee is player jealousy. One player believes he brings more value to the team than the other guy. And all of the above are just the easy problems to foresee. I am afraid many more will be created than solved.

Others thoughts on the current and future direction college football.

TY

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2018, 1:06 PM

Unless every scholarship player gets the same money I foresee a problem within teams. Especially teams like Clemson that plays 2 & 3 string starting in the first quarter. Now if it is just that players can make money off of their name that’s a different issue

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Don't forget access to world class training facilities and..

Oct 22, 2018, 7:14 PM [ in reply to Re: This pending case is why I think college football will have a Super Conference ]

nutrition.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

if they start pating students to play sports

Oct 22, 2018, 1:09 PM

I'll cancel my iptay dues and stop attending clemson sports. I'll try to get into HS sports.

2 decent seats in TDN will free up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

effin lawyers gonna jack up college football

Oct 22, 2018, 1:10 PM

like they jack up everything else!

If you're a lawyer and I offended you, do something about it!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

college football should be done like high school divisions

Oct 22, 2018, 1:17 PM

you know, the A-AA-AAA-AAAA etc alignments. There aren't enough "divisions" so to speak in college. Only sport where half the teams have ZERO SHOT at a national championship. Only like 65 of the 130 can win it, which are the Power 5 members (plus Notre Dame). The rest, what are they really playing for?

So why not have another division with its own National Championship tourney? I'd watch Boise vs UCF or something like that.

And also, as high schools do --- every 5 years or so, assess the programs and promote/demote classifications. Replace Arkansas or Rutgers with a UCF or USF. Reward the programs that give adamn.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it will not realign college sports

Oct 22, 2018, 1:23 PM

It will end it completely

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2018, 2:10 PM

All valid points so I won't repeat those.

What happens to the non-revenue sports. What if Clemson were to join the SEC, how will the softball team play a Mizzu road game. Will schools drop more mens sports to support the womens teams you have to support. I think it will put more pressure on funding title IX

There are only so many wealthy fans, and how many are drawn by the shinny toy. A team suffers a few losing seasons, will they jump ship.
Fan spending for college football is all discretionary spending. Despite a growing fan base, at some point you price yourself out of the market.

There is no way to avoid bidding wars. Say the esh-she-she approves 10 mil a year to distribute to players. 'bamer - "needs to be more", LSU - "we're in", Ark. "crap we could give 10mil but we can only afford 6mil".

Will tv money continue to rise. More people are cutting the cord and buying only what they want. The days of espn automatically being part of a tier 1 cable plan is coming to an end. Will a USC fan fan buy a complete football package so they can get up at 8:00 to watch uscjr play a noon game.

Will there be 64 teams willing to join a super conference. I think many bubble schools may opt out and reorganize some of the old conferences. I don't think wv-who could keep up. As it is, their athletic dept. budget struggles to keep up with the oil schools.

If you look at college athletes in total, more will be hurt than helped.

Oct 22, 2018, 2:19 PM

It becomes by definition a professional league at that point, and there will no longer be a need for college football. We already have a pro league, the NFL.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

players need to be careful

Oct 22, 2018, 2:22 PM

I can’t believe the IRS hasn’t already started taxing their athletic scholarships (value of room/board and tuition).

Re: players need to be careful

Oct 22, 2018, 5:03 PM

I think they already do.

My daughter earned the Presidential scholly from her school, and every year the school sends me a 1098-T. It states how much scholarship $ she received and how much went for tuition. She is free to declare all her other legitimate educational expenses.

The difference between what she received and what she spent on education is taxable income.

Re: players need to be careful

Oct 22, 2018, 8:35 PM

Has there been enough difference for her to have to pay taxes?

Actually the 1098-T just shows the amount of tuition

Oct 22, 2018, 8:43 PM [ in reply to Re: players need to be careful ]

Oct 22, 2018, 8:16 PM

Send it to the Supreme Court. Might be the best decision that comes from now 5-4 Right leaning high court.

You are assuming the huge TV contract model will

Oct 22, 2018, 8:22 PM

still be the way everyone conducts business during the next wave of rights deals and I'm not sure that's a good assumption. The media landscape is changing extremely rapidly.

This Bevilacqua guy sounds like a moron

Oct 22, 2018, 8:33 PM

What I rarely ever hear discussed is the value to each and

Oct 22, 2018, 10:38 PM

every Power 5 college football player, regardless of star power, of the expert coaching and deep professional staffing at each and every step while on campus, state-of-the-art equipment and training mechanisms available as requested, health and medical extraordinaire with the extra burden of being college institutions and largely deepdeep pocketed for any injury suit, media exposure and limelight for brand building later in life via the myriad media deals among the conferences and colleges, and of course the co-ed nature of the whole thing.

Much of that value, enumerated via our multi-million dollar annual investment in facilities, equipment, and personnel, like most other FBS programs, adds up big time. NFL Combine training programs can cost $30K for a month. Today's colleges offer top-dollar goods in these areas at measurable value. If kids are getting paid for this, do they then have to subscribe to that program? Scholars borrow money for tuition because the end goal is a degree from Clemson - strong stuff. Should athletes then borrow money for the training, coaching, analytics, specialized prescribed body enchancement, 'Club' access, and more since they would be drawing paychecks from it?

Be careful what you wish for.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic