Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
It would be disrespectful for me to say ALL lives matter on Memorial Day...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

It would be disrespectful for me to say ALL lives matter on Memorial Day...

Jun 5, 2020, 10:00 AM

Right? Or when we are talking about the lives of the unborn, or reflecting on the holocaust or doing a 9/11 or sandy hook memorial to get up and say,,, “other people died on those days and those times. What makes them special??!! All lives matter!!” Black lives matter is a call to value lives who were devalued as property when they came into this country and who are still struggling to find our place and sense of worth when we see us not just being killed on film but so many of us stuck in poverty(not blaming anyone)... while this is the land of prosperity. I don’t need to hear about stats of fatherless homes, crimes, etc.,etc. In fact because of those things it is easy to blame and ignore those lives as a drag and not mattering AS MUCH to the American identity and culture. So black lives matter ( the statement, not the org or political movement necessary) is saying our lives matter TOO. It is even hard for us to see And believe that at times. It is as much for us black folks as anyone else. It is not a weapon or defense mechanism but a reminder and call to black folks first and others secondly to live and value this particular group of people as you value your own.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you are absolutely, 100 percent correct...

Jun 5, 2020, 10:22 AM

and in the past I would join you in this cry...

but I'm taking a chance to step back and listen. It requires humility. It requires me to not react to phrases that make me mad.

Simply hearing "Black Lives Matter" makes me mad because I believe every life matters. I get even madder when I push back and black people won't relent on the statement.

But I suggest we take the emotion out of it and listen. Doesn't mean my idea is wrong.

We may or may not have heard this analogy, but I think it is good.

Imagine your house is on fire. You run out into the neighborhood and yell, "My house is on fire! My House Matters!" Then imagine your neighbors, whose houses are safe respond with "All Houses Matter!"

We need to address things like unborn babies, but Jesus most always met some kind of need before He addressed the sin.

Let's quit trying to be right and start trying to be loving and wise.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: you are absolutely, 100 percent correct...

Jun 5, 2020, 10:56 AM

I am a little confused. You get mad when you hear Black Lives Matter, but you seem to feel it’s improper for the neighbors to say All House matter when the house next door is burning down.
Being right and loving and wise are not contradictory conditions.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's not what I'm saying...

Jun 5, 2020, 11:03 AM

And "mad" probably isn't the correct word. I am saying I understand, as a white person, why they react to the phrase "Black Lives Matter."

As I have stated before, I believe all lives matter. I also know that the vast majority of black people believe all lives matter as well.

The point of the analogy is sure, all houses matter, but the only house that was in crises at the time was the house on fire. Let's put out that fire first.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's not what I'm saying...

Jun 5, 2020, 12:13 PM

I believe what they are saying is, the USA has always kept
black people down in economic growth etc, and disrespect
from some of the police. They started moving up in 1965
but vast numbers of them are still lagging behind.

I do believe that the leadership of BLM is not telling
their real agenda. Hand in hand with ANTIFA.

A lot of these folks think that when we say all lives
matter, that theirs isn't included.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 5, 2020, 11:16 AM [ in reply to you are absolutely, 100 percent correct... ]

It requires humility. It requires me to not react to phrases that make me mad.

Simply hearing "Black Lives Matter" makes me mad because I believe every life matters. I get even madder when I push back and black people won't relent on the statement...

Huh? It requires you "to not react" and use "humility" then you get mad and madder?

In our family we know whats up anytime someone starts talking about a topic and the drops a "but." Im not a racist but. Im not a women but. I dont support this cause or that cause but.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

in my previous post...

Jun 5, 2020, 11:18 AM

"mad" is probably the wrong word.

I congratulate you on having it all figured out. I am trying to get there and help others get there. Thank you for your grace in this difficult time.

Jun 5, 2020, 12:06 PM [ in reply to you are absolutely, 100 percent correct... ]

Black Lives Matter is an important statement and movement because since the beginnings of America we all know White Lives have mattered the most. Us white folks are fine, it's the black folks getting a bad deal for the last 300 years that gives the power and legitimacy to BLM. Please forget our white provide for just a minute and think about this.

It's semantics really....

Jun 5, 2020, 12:32 PM [ in reply to you are absolutely, 100 percent correct... ]

No matter the phrase, we have to recognize that there is systemic racism.

Heck, you can read this board at times and feel it. I am a white man with a big Southern family much like many of you.

My Grandfather and some uncles, aunts, cousins think and say/said racist things all the time. I love my family but I don't like some of the things I hear.

You can't tell me I am on the only one and there aren't some of these types in every level of government, police forces, juries, etc.

Will it ever be perfect, probably not, but we can't sit hear and tell each other that being a black man in the good Ole USA is equal to the rest of us.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's semantics really....

Jun 5, 2020, 12:36 PM

Just to finish this thought....it's not about the words, or phrase. Many of you are religious and I will just say that the bible teaches us to be brothers and love one another. Heck even love thy enemy- what a beautiful refrain.

If your brother is hurting, consul him. Don't throw words back in your brother's face in a time of need.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I misread the OP...

Jun 5, 2020, 12:48 PM [ in reply to you are absolutely, 100 percent correct... ]

We are arguing the same point

Jun 6, 2020, 7:34 AM [ in reply to you are absolutely, 100 percent correct... ]

If your house burned down I would sympathize with you. If it could have been saved, but the fire department was negligent I would also understand your anger.
But if people started to protest at fire stations around the country and the media devoted the majority of their coverage to it leading us to believe that fire fighters were lazy and incompetent- I would not be sympathetic.

Re: It would be disrespectful for me to say ALL lives matter on Memorial Day...

Jun 5, 2020, 11:07 AM

Very good point and perspective.... Thanks,, needed that.

Agree 100%

Jun 5, 2020, 11:07 AM

I think those that can’t see your point, just don’t want to see it.

Jun 5, 2020, 11:19 AM

A good place to start would be ban the killing of all black babies before they have a chance at life. Ban Abortion.

Jun 5, 2020, 12:38 PM

One thing at a time. A better place to start would be to find some empathy. Maybe start with loving our neighbor.

Jesus said:

Jun 5, 2020, 11:19 AM

1 Peter 4:8: “Above all, love each other deeply, because love covers over a multitude of sins." 23. John 15:12: “My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you."

And 1 Corinthians 12 says...

Jun 5, 2020, 12:21 PM

On the contrary, the parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, 23 and on those parts of the body that we think less honorable we bestow the greater honor, and our unpresentable parts are treated with greater modesty, 24 which our more presentable parts do not require. But God has so composed the body, giving greater honor to the part that lacked it, 25 that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. 26 If one member suffers, all suffer together; if one member is honored, pall rejoice together.

Which means we ALL matter so when one part of us hurts we give it ADDITIONAL attention. We highlight and address distinctively the hurting part- we recognize it. So we are called by the Bible as ALL that matter to each other to, when black brothers and sisters are suffering to say Black Lives Matter if there is something communicating the contrary!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh, how I wish that 1 Corinthians 12 applied in this case,

Jun 5, 2020, 10:24 PM

but unfortunately it does not. It applies to the church, the body of Christ, not society at large. I know many people in America claim to be Christian, but many of those "Christians" cannot even explain what the gospel is.

Even if we were talking about the church, the body of Christ--one thing that you and I will probably agree on is that the church in America has done a terrible job when it comes to UNITY with respect to race. Too many all or predominately white churches, just like there are too many all or predominately black churches. We all need to re-read what you quoted (1 Corinthians 12) and learn to come together in unity, not with ultimatums and leaving our pride at the door.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I totally misread this post the first time...

Jun 5, 2020, 12:36 PM

my apologies

we are actually saying the same thing

yes!!! we are all good...

Jun 6, 2020, 11:46 AM

nm

This lady speaks the truth

Jun 6, 2020, 12:03 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=U8uHTFbZXPE

Re: This lady speaks the truth

Jun 6, 2020, 12:54 AM

Thank you for sharing!

Jun 6, 2020, 10:20 AM

Yes GOD said it it too. ALL LIVES MATTER TOO! My heart goes out to those 6 police officers and families that died this week because of hate. 3 black 3 white which one was woman officer. If you put your self in a bad situation that can cause you to be injured or forbid die. You can only blame your self!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic