Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: AP Poll writer votes Clemson #1
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Football Update: AP Poll writer votes Clemson #1

Sep 3, 2013, 10:36 AM

AP Poll writer votes Clemson #1

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is the way voting should be...based on play

Sep 3, 2013, 10:47 AM

on the field, not reputation! Kudos to all the voters who are beginning to recognize this.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Football Update: AP Poll writer votes Clemson #1

Sep 3, 2013, 10:49 AM

Ehhhhhhhh I think this is getting a little overboard.

It was a good win, no doubt. But I don't think we're deserving of #1 in the nation.

Sep 3, 2013, 11:33 AM

I've been watching Clemson Fb as a fan for 51 years. And not really understanding all of the game of FB completely ( plays and schemes ) for only about 30 of my 51 years. When Clemson has had a good team, they have always played better and harder when they have had something to prove. Rank us at around #20 and watch how very hard we play when our guys know they are better than the voters say we are. These top 10 rankings make me very nervus this early. That is how we got the stigma of Clemson pulling a Clemson. By being highy ranked to fast and lose one or two. I know this is differnt players with differnt coaches. But I would rather us have to prove who we are every week, then the press can tell us how good we are near the end. If we are a #1 team near the end, we will have that ranking at the end!!! ( 1981/82 season, we got what we had earned at the end )

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In 81/82 we were only ranked #1 when we were the only

Sep 3, 2013, 6:03 PM

undefeated team left. Even when we went into the Orange Bowl ranked #1, we were not favored to win. I do not want our players to get big heads, but it is nice to get some respect without having to run the table. Based on this week's play, We played more like #1 than anyone else. Bama did not play like a top team.

Sep 3, 2013, 10:52 AM

Well it will be fun to see the Clemson (1) on the poll anyway :)

If pollsters didnt have a pre-season poll to "guide" them

Sep 3, 2013, 11:00 AM

or interfere with their balloting this week, I'd have to say that Clemson played the best during week 1 and should be ranked number 1. LSU beat a tough top 20 TCU team by double digits on a neutral field and should be #2. Maybe even a legit argument can be made to put LSU at #1 and Clemson at #2. I think we'll find out more as the season goes on. How good is UGA really. They need to beat USuC this weekend, that's for sure.

Re: If pollsters didnt have a pre-season poll to "guide" them

Sep 3, 2013, 11:40 AM

I personally believe Georgia will beat theysuck at home. And I think they may have beat us in their back yard also. The only way we beat them in their yard would have been if we had played mistake free FB. Our fans really disrupted UGA in our yard!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 3, 2013, 11:01 AM

I think UGA had a (1) next to their #5 ranking last week, so we might have received that same vote since we beat UGA.

We still have a lot of football to play.

Sep 3, 2013, 11:02 AM

I will not concede that Clemson deserves the #1 rank until we are 14-0 and leave Pasadena with a W. But, I hope it happens and I'm all in all the way baby! Go Tigers!

Sep 3, 2013, 11:03 AM

what you have is a writer from Ohio who is also tired of the sec banter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is going to kill us...we don't need this type of a...

...love fest this early.

Come on...give the Tigers a chance to get their heads on straight, before laying the kiss of death on them.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Don't be skeered.***

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

We need to get over this mentality of being scared

Sep 3, 2013, 11:09 AM [ in reply to This is going to kill us...we don't need this type of a... ]

of a ranking.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Most of us are over it

Sep 3, 2013, 11:11 AM

It was Bowden's teams who always choked after getting good rankings, I haven't seen Swinney's teams do that.

Tommy Bowden's long gone. Grow a pair.

Sep 3, 2013, 11:12 AM [ in reply to This is going to kill us...we don't need this type of a... ]

This team has been talking about a national title all summer. They aren't afraid of the stage they're on. How did Saturday night not convince you of that?

Go back and watch the play before our FG Saturday night. Tajh slightly overthrows Sammy and Watkins can't quite grab it. What are they doing? Talking, taking responsibility and SMILING. That's how confident they are.

Take a queue.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coaches job to keep team focused

Sep 3, 2013, 11:22 AM [ in reply to This is going to kill us...we don't need this type of a... ]

regardless of what happens in the press

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

That guy's ballot is crazy

Sep 3, 2013, 11:10 AM

Plus he says he ranks them based on resume and still puts UVA low after beating a solid BYU team? Drops UGA to 14th for losing to his #1 team?

I appreciate the credit, but this guy may be a little crazy.

He only had UGA at #11 in his preseason ballot so

Sep 3, 2013, 11:28 AM

they really only dropped 3 spots in his poll.

He said he doesn't base off of preseason ballots though***

Sep 3, 2013, 1:25 PM

Sep 3, 2013, 11:34 AM

We ain't #1, Yeah, we beat UGA but UGA will probably be 1-3 by the end of the month. They are down this year.

THAT news is horrible.

Sep 3, 2013, 4:09 PM

We can't move up all season. I have no interest in a poll where we can't move up?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: THAT news is horrible.

Sep 3, 2013, 9:16 PM

If we believe we're a top 10 team, what's wrong with having the ranking? We were #8 last week and went out and showed we deserved it. Now we're #4. I believe the boys will go out there and prove they deserve it. Dabo is NOT Tommy and he's gaining much needed experience every game. He has instilled a belief in his kids that they are as good as their ranking, yet says over and over, "The season starts tomorrow." I loved his answer when asked, "What does this win mean?" He said (paraphrasing), "It's just the first win, we need to enjoy it for a little while, then prepare for the next game."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: THAT news is horrible.

Sep 3, 2013, 9:26 PM [ in reply to THAT news is horrible. ]

We have a senior QB who has developed into an excellent leader and enough juniors and seniors at other key positions to keep this team grounded and focused, I welcome the challenge and have confidence that Dabo and Tajh will keep us going in the right direction!

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic