Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Questions to grads from 1975 - Does signing up for Medicare
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1,958

Questions to grads from 1975 - Does signing up for Medicare

Dec 17, 2016, 8:52 AM

make you feel as old as it does me even though I'm still working as hard as ever?

Does getting mail every day from all these sleazy insurance companies disguised as official government letters annoy you too?

Have you now suddenly realized that you have not been paying nearly as much attention to your parent's financial decision making as you should have been starting about 20 years ago such as delaying social security as long as possible since we always assumed they were smarter and wiser than us especially since they never ask for our advice and we still really just think of ourselves as recently graduating from college anyway?

Given that we didn't have a lot to cheer about in the 70's, but were spoiled by the 80's after graduation, are you glad we have real football back again after that dreadful self imposed 20 year death penalty by the previous illustrious elite leadership regime?

Go Tigers!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly!!!***

Dec 17, 2016, 9:02 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is the proper response to all my posts :)***

Dec 17, 2016, 10:21 AM

Re: Questions to grads from 1975 - Does signing up for Medicare

Dec 17, 2016, 9:03 AM

Hits u right square in the ole noggin! Just want to see at least a couple more nc 's.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm planning to live to 100 and see a NC every 3 yrs***

Dec 17, 2016, 10:17 AM

Oh boy...

Dec 17, 2016, 9:10 AM

this one hits really close to home for me.

"Have you now suddenly realized that you have not been paying nearly as much attention to your parent's financial decision making as you should have been starting about 20 years ago..."

Hopefully it won't become an issue for you, should you parents require some level of senior care or assisted living, just be prepared for how outrageously expensive it is. That's when the realization that I had not been paying nearly as much attention to their financial decision making as I should have been starting about 20 years ago first hit me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Oh boy...

Dec 17, 2016, 9:21 AM

WoW did I find out the hard way. My Dad was upper-middleclass his whole life(or so I thought) passed last year penniless, except for a bunch of worthless timeshares.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

A key thought is that we need to do our homework

Dec 17, 2016, 9:22 AM [ in reply to Oh boy... ]

and be making astute choices for ourselves now such as assisted living insurance. My continuing to work for 3-4 years with a company health plan before starting Medicare Plan B/D is confusing how the various topics play together. Very time consuming to do the needed homework. But must be done.

Been over that for awhile

Dec 17, 2016, 9:16 AM

My first shock ('70 Grad) was 4 years ago when I found out I had to pay $100 a month for it.....NO CHOICE.......and I still haven't used it. Retired Navy & State Health Plan.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer

I've worked enough years paying into ss, that my 8 civil

Dec 17, 2016, 10:16 AM

service years are not in the count.

Dec 17, 2016, 9:27 AM

Both of my parents passed several years ago, but they were very poor all of their lives. There was no way they could have 'planned' for financial security IMO as they lived at or below the poverty level for years. When they passed, TennCare (Medicaid for TN) took everything they owned in return for medical care that TennCare provided for them thru the years. That included a nursing home for dad after his stroke.

We three kids sent them money every month just to provide enough for them to keep from worrying about how to pay the bills. Of course we all had our own families to support in addition to that, so that can be a problem in itself. But 2 of us have CLEMSON degrees and my 3 kids all have college degrees and do very well. Any of them could take care of me and my wife if I needed it. But it's taken a lot of hard work and sacrifice to get to this point.

I'm retired now and on MediCare and SS and loving it. Life is good. :)

Thanks for the feedback.***

Dec 17, 2016, 10:10 AM

Yes - but the alternative of being.......

Dec 17, 2016, 9:35 AM

six feet under is more depressing. I'm in my 60s now but don't feel like an "old man" at all but I guess time's starting to catch up.

Funny thing, I didn't feel old at all or even think about it

Dec 17, 2016, 10:13 AM

until that onslaught of medicare letters telling me I only had three months before my birthday to sign up. And received 25 letters every day since counting down until the deadline next month.

Re: Funny thing, I didn't feel old at all or even think about it

Dec 17, 2016, 10:38 AM

Letters go unopened, if I can tell what they are. I'm gonna die young.......Rode my SERK to Sturgis this year at 69 & gonna do it for the 16th time next year at 70. Old age is in your mind.......if you are mobile!!!

monter le cheval de fer

Mike and Mike are mean to Clemson***

Dec 17, 2016, 10:07 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ha ha***

Dec 17, 2016, 10:14 AM

Dec 17, 2016, 10:23 AM

When you start getting eob's from large medical bills that say amount you owe-$0.00, it fells almost as good as kicking the c%cks a$$

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That does sound good.***

Dec 17, 2016, 10:44 AM

Yes, yes, yes....and yes*****************

Dec 17, 2016, 10:35 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So you seem to know what I'm talking about***

Dec 17, 2016, 10:44 AM

Replies: 20
| visibility 1,958