Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Houston Mayor: Cougars will beat OU by 20+
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 666

Houston Mayor: Cougars will beat OU by 20+

May 18, 2016, 9:42 AM

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/5/17/11695718/houston-mayor-oklahoma-cougars-win

Houston's mayor still thinks the Cougars will beat Oklahoma by a couple TDs
By Peter Berkes ? @peterberkes on May 17, 2016, 7:07p +

It's the offseason, so you may or may not remember a few weeks ago when Houston mayor Sylvester Turner got loose and said Houston would beat Oklahoma by two or three touchdowns. It's quite a claim, and yes, he definitely said it during this interview with the University of Houston Magazine.

I will be at the first game against Oklahoma. It should be a sell out at NRG Stadium considering what UH did this past season. For the Cougars to start out the season against a powerhouse like Oklahoma speaks to how far the program has come. We'll win that one easily then move on. In this first game, I think we'll win by 14 or possibly 21 points. Then, we'll look for some stiffer competition.

Turner is obviously a proud alum, and he and other Cougar fans have plenty to be excited about. The team just went 13-1 and beat Florida State decisively in the Peach Bowl, then held on to head coach Tom Herman, one of the brightest young stars in the coaching world. Things are looking up for Houston, and Turner didn't back down from his prediction when contacted by the Tulsa World.

"It is not a subjective assessment," Turner said. "I'm being very objective. They are just that good!"

Now, Oklahoma had a pretty good season themselves last year. The Sooners went 11-2, won the Big 12 and made it into the College Football Playoff, all while overcoming the previously impassable barrier of getting into the Playoff while playing in a conference without a championship game. Amazing stuff, really.

It's still very early for lines, but Oklahoma is an eight-point favorite at 5dimes. The game will be played in Houston at NRG Stadium, but there will surely be plenty of Oklahoma fans who make the trip. I doubt many people think the Sooners will turn this game into a blowout, but probably even fewer people agree with Turner and think Houston wins this game comfortably.

This game has lots to look forward to. Both Baker Mayfield and Greg Ward Jr. are back running the show for both offenses, and both of these teams averaged over 40 points per game last year. It's hard to see Houston winning this game by several touchdowns, but hey, I'd rather live in a world where politicians confidently fire off predictions like this than just bet a case of Famous Local Product X on the big game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Maybe not by that margin, but I think Houston wins....***

May 18, 2016, 9:51 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe not by that margin, but I think Houston wins....***

May 18, 2016, 11:00 AM

I agree! It will be a one score game IMO but I think and hope Houston gets it done

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Houston Mayor: Cougars will beat OU by 20+

May 18, 2016, 9:53 AM

Ward is a beast for Houston. If he plays big, they win imo. I doubt it'll be by 20+ though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

This is the kind of thinking that got Spurrier a 85ft poster

May 18, 2016, 10:22 AM

you are nothing forever and with the smallest bit of success, you think you are Andre the Giant. Listen, they may be good, they played pretty well last year, but who would be surprised in Ok came in and dropped 50 on them.

Stick with me on this one. When you are playing pick up basketball, there is always this little shrimp of a guy that is hitting back door screens and scoring way too many pts for the competition they are in. In reality, that guy is not that guy, that guy is just comparatively better than the mouth breather that is guarding him. If someone with a pulse starts to guard him, he is completely shut down until that person sees he is no good and then starts to not worry about him and slips into a zone, to which he gets hit with a back door screen.

This is how I see Houston, they are being the hell out of the little kid that can not guard him, but if they play a team that treats them like a real challenge, they will get beat badly. This is why a Florida or FSU or Ok back in the day gets beat by these teams at bowl season, because they do not take them seriously.

Re: Houston Mayor: Cougars will beat OU by 20+

May 18, 2016, 11:05 AM

I believe he bit off more than he can chew.
OU will beat them by 20.

Replies: 5
| visibility 666
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic