Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ditching Divisions in the ACC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Ditching Divisions in the ACC

Jul 12, 2015, 5:28 PM

With NCAA legislation pending to remove CCG constraints, an ACC co-sponsored effort, I'm curious as to how going divisionless in conference has little traction, according to Swofford, among AD's.

Were we to adopt a 3-team annual rival set-up (driven by UNC's need to schedule NC State, Duke, and UVA annually) with the other 5 conference games rotating among the rest of the league, every program could play every other program in the league twice every four years, instead of twice every twelve years, plus 3 annual mainstays. Following the regular season, the top two teams meet in the ACCCG.

3-team Annual Rotation Suggestion:

Clemson - Ga. Tech / NC State / BC
FSU - Miami / Syracuse / UVA
Miami - FSU / BC / Pitt
Ga. Tech - Clemson / Duke / Louisville
UNC - Duke / NC State / UVA
UVA - Va. Tech / UNC / FSU
Va. Tech - UVA / Pitt / Louisville
Louisville - Va. Tech / Ga. Tech / Wake
Syracuse - BC / Pitt / FSU
NC State - UNC / Wake / Clemson
Duke - UNC / Wake / Ga. Tech
Wake - Duke / NC State / Louisville
Pitt - Va. Tech / Miami / Syracuse
BC - Syracuse / Miami / Clemson

I would certainly be all for swapping BC out for FSU on our annual schedule, and shifting around the UVA, BC, Syracuse schedules to accommodate, but we'd still play them twice every four years regardless plus any ACCCG opportunities that came about. Rotating between FSU and Miami, plus Va. Tech & Louisville would be okay in my book.

A 9 conference game schedule just doesn't compute in this league, and this kind of arrangement, where the northern schools get more southern travel more often based on a more equitable distribution of opponents, would quell further moves to create the extra league game. Atlantic and Coastal have little traction outside of our immediate fan bases and the media. Ditching this imaginary demarcation would only help the more casual college fan keep up a little better, plus every recruiting class is guaranteed to play every team at home and every team away at least once during their 4-year stay.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Ditching Divisions in the ACC

Jul 12, 2015, 6:11 PM

This makes way too much sense to be adopted by Swofford.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is probably the best proposal I've seen

Jul 12, 2015, 7:19 PM

anyone put forth, either in the media or by fans on TigerNet. Good work!

Jul 12, 2015, 7:47 PM

Makes my brain hurt!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tiger/Terrier

Jul 12, 2015, 8:45 PM

I don't think Clemson will agree to any schedule that eliminates the yearly game with FSU. That games drives
season tickets sales in the years we play SC in Columbia.

I don't think Clemson has a problem sellingg tickets

Jul 13, 2015, 8:10 AM

The acc will be against it because of tv deals.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: I don't think Clemson has a problem sellingg tickets

Jul 13, 2015, 9:19 AM

Maintaining an annual CU and FSU match-up would be easy enough with these adjustments...

Clemson - Ga. Tech / NC State / FSU
FSU - Miami / Clemson / Syracuse
UVA - Va. Tech / UNC / BC
BC - Syracuse / Miami / UVA

Considering that every four years every program would have played each other an equal number of times, plus not having divisional names to adjust, the three annual games could be tweaked and altered throughout the league at that point.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

After 4 years change the 3 annual rivals.***

Jul 12, 2015, 8:59 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sure. Another element that makes this set-up work.

Jul 12, 2015, 9:38 PM

Every four years presents an opportunity for a reset on the annuals. The only program that would truly need to stay put with its 3 match-ups would be UNC.

Or at least change divisions for

Jul 13, 2015, 9:26 AM

one pair of current permanent rivals each year and that would do much the same. It would also set up possible Clemson/FSU championship games twice every cycle.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic