Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Flu season winding down. Recorded cases declining in SC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Flu season winding down. Recorded cases declining in SC

Mar 27, 2020, 9:31 AM

But ILI reports are climbing and are 3 times higher than the state baseline. This virus is really screwing with the ILI assumptions we use to measure the traditional flu now. Just over 10% of people going to the doctor now have flu-like symptoms, roughly the same as the peak of a flu season. But positive flu tests are declining.

Just another metric to watch, ILI reporting. We have a long and strong statistical history of how that correlates to the flu. None with how it correlates to covid, but it can give a comparison broadly over how widespread this becomes compared to the flu. This flu season was a relatively bad one in SC overall. ILI reports peaked twice this year, in late December and early February. Then went down. Heading for another peak now, but the recent increase isn't the flu.

https://www.scdhec.gov/sites/default/files/media/document/2020-Flu-Watch-MMWR-WK-12.pdf

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is also a bad time for sinus infections

Mar 27, 2020, 9:34 AM

which make you feel like chit.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I had one from October to April last year

Mar 27, 2020, 9:36 AM

With a week off in December. Allergy shots FTW.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Also be aware of seasonal allergies. Don’t lie wake in bed

Mar 27, 2020, 10:38 AM [ in reply to This is also a bad time for sinus infections ]

awake at night, thinking you got the Covid crud when spring hits with pollen, weeds & blooms.

Living in FL, our spring hits early March. Both wife and I have mild allergies that hit early _ not the coronavirus.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To save everyone else a google

Mar 27, 2020, 9:35 AM

ILI is Influenza like illness

ILI - "Influenza Like Illness" - Sorry. Should have made

Mar 27, 2020, 9:38 AM

that clear. Anyway, just another way to look at this locally to compare the coverage of the virus. Thought it was interesting and probably a better stat to look at in the next month for some sense of comparison.

It's possible that COVID has diverted attention, but cases

Mar 27, 2020, 9:39 AM

of cannibalism seem to be on the decline too....SO FAR.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When McDonalds closes totally, that's when cannibalism

Mar 27, 2020, 9:40 AM

will rise. I mean if you're used to eating mystery meat from McDonalds, it's an easy transition to human flesh.

Here is a fever map of the country which shows Atypical

Mar 27, 2020, 9:45 AM

Illness along with Observed and Trends. It is a collection of wifi thermometer readings across the country.

The hot spots seem to be Florida and the I-95 corridor out of Florida and PA, NJ and NY along with Southern Louisiana.

Why is Louisiana experiencing such a sharp increase? Some have suggested Mardi Gras, but that was FEbruary 16th - roughly 6 weeks ago.

https://healthweather.us/

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It may be good data, assuming everyone has a wifi

Mar 27, 2020, 9:57 AM

thermometer and app. I don't know anyone with one, so if everyone I knew got a fever, Kinsa would not know. Probably can tell trends in urban areas, wealthy areas, and where people are willing to spend whatever more for a wifi thermometer. But overall doctor visit data is best. EVERYONE goes to the doctor when sick, even if they have a mercury thermometer.

I imagine places in BFE with a high poverty level, or middle class areas, would not be accurately represented. Places with younger people, tech savy people, wealthy people, etc. may be better represented.

The thermometers are distributed to low income families

Mar 27, 2020, 10:15 AM

through federal programs and sponsorship programs in addition to their sales. The numbers represent a relative data set compared to what they have collected in the past. No data set is 100% accurate, but a collection of data sets taken together paints a good picture and, in this case, can help identify areas where people have abnormally high fevers. Like doctor visits. Not everyone goes to the doctor when sick. As a matter of fact, medical experts are encouraging people NOT to go to the doctor unless their symptoms become severe.

https://www.healthcareitnews.com/news/digital-thermometer-data-may-provide-insight-covid-19-surges

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should be gov’t issue with GPS tracking phone and ...

Mar 27, 2020, 10:42 AM [ in reply to It may be good data, assuming everyone has a wifi ]

Shock collars if a person has a fever and leaves residence.

I jest.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic