Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
New Story: Dear ESPN: The jig is up
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 87
| visibility 51

New Story: Dear ESPN: The jig is up

Jan 2, 2015, 5:38 PM

Dear ESPN: The jig is up

Dear ESPN: No longer can you mislead and misdirect the populace at large and convince them that teams in the SEC are the most dominant force in the land, that players who don the jerseys of schools within that storied conference are somehow faster, stronger and smarter. Photo by Kevin Jairaj / USATODAY Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dear? im confused

Jan 2, 2015, 5:46 PM

Must be sec spelling.

Re: Dear? im confused

Jan 2, 2015, 11:07 PM

Why confused??? He used the proper spelling of the word. It's certainly not "Deer". But to prove my point here are the definitions of the word "DEAR".

dear1
[deer]

Synonyms
Examples
Word Origin

adjective, dearer, dearest.
beloved or loved:
a dear friend.
(used in the salutation of a letter as an expression of affection or respect or as a conventional greeting):
Dear Sir.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ This guy clearly doesn't get it! ^^^

Jan 3, 2015, 10:15 AM

SMH in advance.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

or maybe he was going for the double reverse

Jan 3, 2015, 1:06 PM

unintentionally

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm all for bashing ESPN and the SEC, but

Jan 2, 2015, 5:50 PM

Who has ever said they were smarter?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm all for bashing ESPN and the SEC, but

Jan 2, 2015, 5:57 PM

Isn't it implied when they try to pull the "great lie" over on all of us?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well written, as usual

Jan 2, 2015, 5:52 PM

Mike North, the smartest sports guy on radio, also predicted an OSU win.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good article, well written***

Jan 2, 2015, 5:53 PM

meh.

Jan 2, 2015, 6:34 PM

Not so much.

Not so much what??

Jan 2, 2015, 7:31 PM

Hood is right on the money, coot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

First, I'm not a coot. Taking two seconds to check my pulse

Jan 4, 2015, 10:49 AM

And number of posts would have told you that. But I understand that if you thought this piece was good journalism, things like that may come a little slow to you.

Second, it's not the theme of the article I disagree with. ESPN does deserve to be called out, and we should take issue with the bias and clear advantages being afforded to the SEC.

My comment, "not so much"' was a response to other posters calling this article excellent. I happen to think its not well written or well thought out. Me. hood addressed it to ESPN, but I believe anyone at ESPN reading it would not bother to finish it because of the way it's written. It was somewhat amateurish in my opinion, to which I am entitled.

####, this reminds me of a saying I once

Jan 2, 2015, 9:44 PM [ in reply to meh. ]

heard. It went something like, "the jig is up". Much like your tigerdancer, CUbuck, tigerstripe777, and that whole slew of twisted charade of handles you use to pretend you're a tiger, "the jig is up". You got whipped in the valley, you're going to get whipped in Wille Brice, and you're going to suck again just like you have most of your growth-stunted life. It's well past time to give up the charade...because the jig is up.

Yeah, my jig is up.

Jan 4, 2015, 10:51 AM

Idiot.

*mic drop*

Jan 2, 2015, 5:54 PM

Nm

*mic drop*

Nm

Well said.***

Re: Well said.***

Jan 2, 2015, 5:56 PM

Well written and very accurate.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And the jig too.

Jan 2, 2015, 5:55 PM

The jig is up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yeah!! right on!! thank you!***

Jan 2, 2015, 5:57 PM

"Nailed it!"

Jan 2, 2015, 5:58 PM

The jig is up

Jan 2, 2015, 6:05 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXhuso4OTG4

Love that song!!***

Jan 2, 2015, 6:39 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

It is veery serious when you think how the rankings

Jan 2, 2015, 6:09 PM

are manipulated based on the hype. SEC
teams have the advantage of saying their losses were to higher ranked teams when actually the team is just propped up on reputation.

Can you esplainify that?***

Jan 2, 2015, 6:24 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One word - "cartel"***

Jan 2, 2015, 7:29 PM

No explanation needed. Doesn't take long watching any espin

Jan 2, 2015, 7:50 PM [ in reply to Can you esplainify that?*** ]

broadcast to see the overwhelming bias of most all their talking heads. We saw all season, with an exclamation point added this week, that those "super four" of the SEC west, all of which spent time in the top five this season, are no better than the top three or four of the ACC, Big 10, Big 12 or PAC 12.
E-spin's favorite catch phrase, "SEC speed", can be put to bed. The myth that all the SEC west played superior defense, was exposed for what it is, a fallacy. I said all year, those teams can't seem to stop anybody. Not a one of those team's defense is in the same stratosphere as Clemson's.

Just compare Alabama and Clemson's last two bowl games...they played the same two teams, with quite different results.

TU for the last paragraph which you will NEVER hear

Jan 2, 2015, 9:17 PM

stated on ESecPN.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

correction to your last paragraph...

Jan 4, 2015, 3:54 AM [ in reply to No explanation needed. Doesn't take long watching any espin ]

Actually, Clemson and Bama didn't play the same team because Clemson played OSU with their starting QB and veteran RB and WR's but Bama played OSU with their third string QB who had only played in ONE game AND is a freshman along with underclassmen at RB and WR....

It appears to me Clemson faced the more complete team...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great Stuff!

Jan 2, 2015, 6:16 PM

Nm

I hope you don't somehow "disappear" David Hood.

Jan 2, 2015, 6:21 PM

We will miss you. The mothership is coming...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is GOLD!!!! Well done David!***

Jan 2, 2015, 6:26 PM

Speaking of unfair rankings as you did in this story, our

Jan 2, 2015, 6:28 PM

very own athletic director sat on a committee that propped Miss State up from 10th to 7th after an off week and a two touchdown loss the week before. Just enough spots to get into the Orange, send Mich state to the Cotton and, like magic get another Big Ten team into NEw Years Day Citrus. So when we jump on ESPN we have an athletic director that needs to be addressed also.

He was just doing his old school (GT) a favor. Let them

Jan 2, 2015, 7:00 PM

beat an over-rated Miss State team and get the ACC a win over an SEC flag-bearer.

Didn't want GT to face Michigan State.

Plus, knew a Clemson shellacking of Oklahoma would be perceived as better than a Citrus Bowl win over Minnesota.

Just kidding. ;)

Why do some of you pretend to know how

Jan 2, 2015, 9:40 PM [ in reply to Speaking of unfair rankings as you did in this story, our ]

DRad personally voted for anything? Because you don't. Please stop the nonsense about our AD "allowing" anything.

Where's the evidence that he personally voted for that?***

Jan 3, 2015, 2:51 PM [ in reply to Speaking of unfair rankings as you did in this story, our ]

GO TIGERS

Yeah, but... Tennessee is beating Iowa...

Jan 2, 2015, 6:36 PM

LOL. Somebody get d-Rad an SEC job... the two are a great fit!

Nice job, David, of stating the obvious! Thanks for saying it for all of us.

I'm all for exposing the SEC Bias that exists

Jan 2, 2015, 6:42 PM

but who can blame anyone for picking against Ohio St in the Sugar Bowl? I mean they were only starting a third string QB with only one start under his belt

OhSt could've had Miller & Barrett available, e-spin would

Jan 2, 2015, 7:56 PM

have been the same. Couldn't overcome that SEC speed, and formidable SEC defense.

Re: OhSt could've had Miller & Barrett available, e-spin would

Jan 3, 2015, 12:04 AM

Question: Who has the "faster" team...Clemson or Alabama?

That's pretty obvious, just like, who has the best D?***

Jan 3, 2015, 1:11 PM

You talking about the CCG?***

Jan 3, 2015, 9:33 AM [ in reply to I'm all for exposing the SEC Bias that exists ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great article David but

Jan 2, 2015, 6:43 PM

No one should EVER claim that the SEC is a "smarter" conference!!!! If anything, they are the weakest, academically speaking! I'm thinking u meant smartest in football, which is also absolutely false!! The likes of TCU, Clemson, Ohio St., Oregon, Michigan St, Georgia, FSU, soon TN, and some others I'm missing are now currently at the top in football smarts!!
As for the media SEC bias, it IS INCREDIBLY prevalent and it is OUR job as all other football fans to call them out now more than ever!! They are ALL OVER Siris/XM radio, ESPN TV/Radio, National magazines & newspapers and we need to call them out to stop their BS!!! Even the new "13 member committee" is succumbing to the bias already....Alabama had NO Business being in the playoffs...it should have been TCU, OBVIOUSLY!!! These biased groups are doing everything they can to keep the SEC at the top of all college football conversations and it's time for the rest of the Nation and the ACC, Pac 12, BIG 10, BIG 12 to DEMAND for them to STOP!! Your article is a GREAT start!!!! Keep it Coming, please, and advise what else we, as fans can be doing as well.

Re: Great article David but

Jan 2, 2015, 8:10 PM

I'm thinking he was assuming that's SEC thoughts because they believe their better in everything else, why not smarter also.

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

Phyllis from Mulgan, AL & Finebaum ain't happy!

Jan 2, 2015, 6:44 PM

You just whizzed in their Cheerios and I loved it!! Thanks for that article - David!!

OMG! I forgot about Finebaum. Suicide watch!

Jan 3, 2015, 8:43 AM

I will have to watch to get the homer's take on that butt whuppin. I bet the callers will be hilarious! Even more than usual.

Tammy from Alabama was particularly funny...

Jan 4, 2015, 1:08 PM

She is a brain crack toasted Awbarn fan. When Finebaum reminded her they lost 5 games this year, she lost it. "Finebamm, I don't care how many games we lost, WE PLAY IN THE SEC!. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?"
Absolutely fabulous comedy TV.

Clemson & Bama In Similar Games but Different Outcomes

Jan 2, 2015, 6:49 PM

Clemson beat both teams (Ohio State last yr & Oklahoma this yr) in bowl games that beat Alabama (Oklahoma last yr & Ohio State this year) in bowl games.

Last year Clemson beat Ohio State's 1st string QB....Alabama lost to Ohio State's 3rd string QB.

Alabama is a real talented team (#1 recruiting class how many years in a row?) who is not coached up to their recruiting potential. Nick Sabin isn't the coach that everyone thinks that he is.

I appreciate the analogy as much as anyone

Jan 2, 2015, 9:49 PM

but I'm not so sure Miller is better. Patterson played like a stud. I think our game vs OSU and Alabama's was very similar in that it was a gutsy, hard fought instant classic. Out of both games, Clemson had the most physical and dominant defense. But last night OSU played just hard enough to beat down Bama. It was a thing of beauty and I have a hard time not pulling for them against Oregon.

IMHO, Kiffin was too cutsie with that bubble screen

Jan 3, 2015, 8:53 AM

and trying to force more out of Yeldon, when the bigger back appeared unstoppable. Plus, Sims seemed locked in on Cooper. Way too many 3 and outs. Yep, we beat the buckeyes with a killer defensive effort (preview of things to come), and a potent offense. So potent, that Tajh's (2 or 3) miscues were more than compensated for. Is anybody else sick of hearing about the best receiver in college football? OSU isolated him, and the house of Saban fell. They didn't see that coming, or did they buy into Corso's headdress?

Re: Clemson & Bama In Similar Games but Different Outcomes

Jan 4, 2015, 12:03 AM [ in reply to Clemson & Bama In Similar Games but Different Outcomes ]

The fraud starts every year due to the preseason rankings . At least half of the sec are ranked in the top 25 every year therefor they are almost certainly guaranteed a birth in the championship game . Funny how the first year things are done somewhat fairly the sec is shut out of the Big dance .IMO the panel should scrutinize teams before the season begins . I know that is difficult but it can be done .Just my opinion

Re: Clemson & Bama In Similar Games but Different Outcomes

Jan 4, 2015, 3:15 AM

Looking at all of our new Tigers coming in and looking at their bios, one thing kept popping in my head....I was sure happy that all of them have that "SEC size and speed"....dont flame me, it was a joke!

Re: New Story: Dear ESPN: The jig is up

Jan 2, 2015, 7:17 PM

News Flashes:
- ESPN Inc. is a joint venture owned by Disney and Hearst.
- Corporate America is in the business of making money and increasing stock valuation.
- College football is a lucrative subset of the entertainment industry.
- The southern/southeastern United States is the biggest market for college football.
- The SEC has been the most successful conference in college football for the last decade.
- The SEC's success has made it most "visible" to the general public (casual sports fans), ergo if a casual watcher is going to tune-in to a game, it may be to watch a team that has been successful in the past and that the viewer can relate to.
- More viewers (casual or otherwise) = higher advertising revenues = more money = happy stockholders.
- All of the above means CBS and ESPN are going to favor the SEC unless the tide shifts (pun intended).
- If non-SEC conferences want more respect from ESPN Inc., they should win more football games.

Before you call me a "coot" or some other 4-letter word, know that I'm a Clemson '86 grad and love the ACC. I'm just spelling out the facts of corporate America; they don't care about bias or providing equal time -- it's all $$$.

Jan 2, 2015, 7:40 PM

SUCCESS IS SELF PERPETUATING....WHEN YOU GOT THE MONEY, THE MEDIA, AND THE HYPE MACHINE IN YOUR CORNER!

You're correct, it's all about the money.....

Jan 2, 2015, 7:45 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Dear ESPN: The jig is up ]

That's why espn hypes the sec so much. They want people to view their new network and get those advertising $$$.

maybe you saw this?

Jan 2, 2015, 7:55 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Dear ESPN: The jig is up ]

The 2015 Sugar Bowl and Rose Bowl are now the two most watched programs in the history of cable television with OSU-Bama just barely beating out FSU-Oregon. Both games surpass the previous record set by the 2011 BCS National Championship Game of 27.3 million viewers.

http://awfulannouncing.com/2014/new-years-six-scores-espn.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=new-years-six-scores-espn

yeah but we had no choice but to watch those games

Jan 2, 2015, 9:24 PM

on e$pn.

Jan 2, 2015, 8:59 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Dear ESPN: The jig is up ]

Win more games? You mean like 29 games in a row and a national title? FSU won every game they played and still neither they nor the ACC got any respect from ESPN.

Maybe the SEC should start winning more games against

Jan 2, 2015, 9:21 PM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Dear ESPN: The jig is up ]

teams that actually have a PULSE.

Jan 3, 2015, 7:15 AM [ in reply to Re: New Story: Dear ESPN: The jig is up ]

If ESPiN is really "hyping" the SEC to ultimately make more $$, then they are short sighted.....if they truly want to rake in more cash then they would heavily hype conferences who have teams in the Northeast and/or conferences with teams out West.....that's where most of the big money is. They hype the Southeast b/c they think they can minipulate our region the most into more viewership

Jan 3, 2015, 7:22 AM

.....just look at Paul Finebaum...he's made Millions & Millions preying on ignorant rednecks in Alabama to keep them all worked up and tuned in to his radio show! It's comical how much those fools are like putty in his hands.....all the while, Finebaum puts on an act to keep them listening, ignorant to their own ignorance.

Jan 2, 2015, 7:27 PM

I'm wondering what team from the SEC you think would beat TCU. They absolutely destroyed the team that beat Alabama during the regular season this year. I can't think of any SEC teams who would come even remotely close to stopping TCU's offense.

Jan 2, 2015, 7:43 PM

Great analogy,telling it like it is great story

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spelt F U ESPN wrong***

Jan 2, 2015, 7:44 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Missouri and TAM

Jan 2, 2015, 7:53 PM

Mizzu comes in and wins their division twice in three years and TAM is immediately competitive in their division...pretty much tells you all you need to know.

THIS.***

Jan 2, 2015, 9:22 PM

FAT CHANCE

Jan 2, 2015, 8:07 PM

ESPN will NEVER "not be swayed
By the all mighty dollar"... It's the reality folks... Good to see SEC be brought down to Earth. Although BAMA -7.5 would've really helped my parlay. Hahaha

Great article!! Well done!!***

Jan 2, 2015, 8:52 PM

I sincerely regret that I have but one point to give this

Jan 2, 2015, 9:18 PM

literary masterpiece. Where in God's name did you go to journalism school? ;)

Thanks David, well done !!!***

Jan 2, 2015, 9:19 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work Hard, Do Your Best, Keep Your Word, Never Get Too Big For Your Britches, Trust In God, Have no fear and Never Forget a Friend ~ Harry S. Truman

Thank You..... Thank You..... Amen.***

Jan 2, 2015, 9:23 PM

Jan 2, 2015, 10:08 PM

This could just be a rumor but I hear that the mighty ESPN is trying to change to championship over to ABC so ESPN can carry a Kentucky basketball game - just saying!!!

somebody call the Whaaaaaaambulance

Jan 2, 2015, 10:58 PM

I hate the conference comparisons, they have never mattered. ESPN pushes the SEC because they were behind the curve prior to the SEC streak of national title wins/appearances. They loved the Big 10 then switched to the SEC. They steer the conversation and what they think people should care about. We get it. Every news organization does this now.

Re: somebody call the Whaaaaaaambulance

Jan 3, 2015, 9:31 AM

"How 'bout go back to McDonalds and get you a whaaaburger and some french cries! How 'bout a wheineken?"

Jan 2, 2015, 11:54 PM

I will blame ESPN for maybe 30% of the SEC-bias in college football. Every time an Alabama, LSU, or Texas A&M did something interesting, it was because they belonged to the SEC. Add another 20% to the teams that made them look good. In that "streak" of national championships, their other teams won bowl games against more than inferior opponents; thus beefing up their resume. Finally, a whopping 50% to Georgia, Tennessee, the Magnolia state, South Carolina, Kentucky, Vanderbilt, and Arkansas because they thought they have always been apart of the conversation. When you speak to an actual Florida, Auburn, LSU, Alabama, Mizzou, or A&M fan, rarely if ever do they mention the SEC. They will be the first to tell you that they are elite on their own merit and not because of the conference they participate in. However, LSU fans tend to believe the words to the Song "Talkin Out the Side ov ya Neck" features the "SEC" chant; hence the mention of the name of said song....

Jan 3, 2015, 1:30 AM

ESPN/sec bias is provened by the coots preseason ranking. Here's hoping next years preseason and all other rankings are more oblJective.

On another note; we played OSU last year with their no 1 qb and beat them while Bama got dogged by Oklahoma. This year we killed OU while Bama lost to OSU and their 3rd team qb. Hmmmmmm

Shouldnt jig be gig?***

Jan 3, 2015, 7:55 AM

Thank you, that's what I was thinking.***

Jan 3, 2015, 1:13 PM

But apparently, some on here think it's cool to misspell

Jan 3, 2015, 1:15 PM

words or use the wrong word. I think it gets old after a while, but what do I know?

Always heard it as jig personally***

Jan 3, 2015, 2:52 PM [ in reply to Shouldnt jig be gig?*** ]

GO TIGERS

take this as a positive learning experience

Jan 4, 2015, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Shouldnt jig be gig?*** ]

http://www.knowyourphrase.com/phrase-meanings/Jig-Is-Up.html

Jig Is Up

Meaning:

For a ruse or trick to be discovered; to be caught.

Sometimes, a person will see straight through a practical joke before it has finished. In such cases, they might yell the phrase "the jig is up" as a way of letting everyone know they've figured out what's really going on.

Origin:

The phrase's origins apparently come from a time where the word jig was slang for a trick. Additionally, the Facts on File Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins, by Robert Hendrickson, states that this expression was used during Elizabethan times (mid-to-late 16th century), where the word jig became slang for a practical joke or trick. Thus, if "the jig was up," it meant your trick was found out, or exposed.

That era is where the phrase is believed to derive its meaning from.

Reference: The Facts on File Encyclopedia of Word and Phrase Origins
Note: The origins for most idioms and common sayings cannot be said with a certainty. What's provided are theories that may be plausible to how a phrase originated, but not necessarily so.

In addition, quotes that contain a particular phrase may be taken from old newspapers, poems, or books that were written centuries ago, but this by no means confirms that the phrase originates from said newspapers, poems, or books. In all likelihood, if an expression is being used in a newspaper, it's probably already a well known saying and is from an older time.

Jan 3, 2015, 8:54 AM

Great story. The SEC bias exhibited by ESPN has gotten completely out of control. It is so obvious from week to week how they influence the rankings from their bully pulpit. If Bama is in the top 5 and they lose they drop 2 or 3 spots. Anyone outside of the SEC will drop 9-10 spots. And when the perennial SEC powers start losing (LSU, Auburn,Texas AM this year},they are quickly replaced by other SEC schools like Ole Miss and Mississippi ST.This has to stop. Every year i have heard how the ACC gets dominated during rivalry week. This year we go 4-0 against the SEC and there is no mention of it on ESPN. Very hypocritical.But i promise you it won't be any better next year. Alabama will be in the top 5 preseason poll and 5 of the top 10 will be SEC.Until the playoff is expanded to include the conference champ from all 5 power conferences no other conference will get a fair shake.

Jan 3, 2015, 9:07 AM

Best article written this year, hands down. It should be clear to any person of any loyalty that ESPN is completely bias in coverage of the acc , specifically CLEMSON. Must be the money/sec network. I used ESPN for fantasy leagues until now. I challenge all ACC and Clemson fans to "shop" elsewhere.

Jan 3, 2015, 11:18 AM

I am a Clemson alumni and avid Tiger fan. You can't look at half of the facts. The acc did not do well at all in the bowl games. While we do say the sec east is weak the won the majority of there bowl games. I hate when my husband who played for Miami in the 90's says we still have a long way to go as a conference.

Assuming you are being honest...

Jan 4, 2015, 10:01 AM

are an alum, and making your statement as one, I will answer this.

He is not saying the ACC is a better, or even good conference. He is saying there are good teams in EVERY conference.

The fact that you are hung on the conference in that whole HOOD article, leads me to think you may not be who you claim to be....

Jan 3, 2015, 6:00 PM

ESPN really is SECPN. You tagged it, Mr. Hood. They have a monetary stake and use itto promote the SEC throughout the world. Great article.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2015, 10:22 AM

> > width=5> 
> width="478"
> src=http://i1.tigernet.com/stories/14/football/Gameday
> _KevinJairaj_700.jpg>
> size=2>
> cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0>
> href=/story/football/Dear-ESPN-The-jig-13413
> class="newstitle">Dear ESPN: The jig is up
>

Dear ESPN: No
> longer can you mislead and misdirect the populace at
> large and convince them that teams in the SEC are the
> most dominant force in the land, that players who don
> the jerseys of schools within that storied conference
> are somehow faster, stronger and smarter. > style="font-size:.7em">Photo by Kevin Jairaj /
> USATODAY
> href=/story/football/Dear-ESPN-The-gig-13413>> class=fullstory>Full Story
> »

Jan 4, 2015, 1:55 PM

Good article David. ESPN has the SEC in their back pocket for marketing reasons and do so for this reason. It is a proven fact on network surveys that 70% of the viewers that watch College Football live in the south. ESPN figures that the SEC is a good representation of the Southern football fan. I have totally disagreed with this for years. As proven in the last several years, the SEC has been beat soundly by teams from other Conferences on a regular basis. Their bias toward the other Conferences is a way to protect the SEC INVESTMENT. They seem to not realize that parity has arrived in all Conferences, and sooner or later it will bite them in the pocketbook. Unfortunately, most of our (CLEMSON) games are carried by ESPN/ABC, and we cannot boycott them if you want to watch away games. Home games, I am at Death Valley in my seat watching. Sooner or later, ESPN will realize their bias ( I hope ) and start showing equal respect to all the Conferences, but I won't hold my breath on it. Until they do, let's do our part as CLEMSON TIGERS, to support our Players and Coaches and beat our opponents and get into the playoffs and make it to the big game and win it all. Maybe, after an SEC shutout 2 or 3 years in a row, they will wake up and realize the term ESECPN does not describe College Football and stop with the bias crap. GO TIGERS !!!!

Replies: 87
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic