Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This grinds my gears
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,389

This grinds my gears

Mar 26, 2017, 10:28 AM

http://www.espn.com/espnw/sports/article/19004695/usa-hockey-reaches-d-iii-players-rec-league-players-potential-replacements?addata=espn:frontpage

Wanting more money for " equal work as men" yet don't even create a fraction of the income the men's team does

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nothing to do with football but

Mar 26, 2017, 11:28 AM

You should expand your horizon and look at the "other"

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) - The U.S. Women's National Hockey Team and USA Hockey are locked in sensitive negotiations over pay and benefits, and the clock is ticking.

The International Ice Hockey Federation World Championship games begin on March 31. The women say they will sit out the tournament unless progress is made. USA Hockey has said that if it comes to it, it will put a team on the ice without the protesting players.

The two sides seemed to be nearing an agreement, according to the women. However, on Thursday they were informed that USA Hockey was contacting alternate players -- a bad sign for the negotiations.

But the players say their case is about more than money. They want better job benefits for IIHF games -- equal to those given to their male counterparts.

The women want to be able to bring guests to competitions, fly in business class and get disability insurance.

USA Hockey declined repeated requests for comment for this article.

But USA Hockey player handbooks for the 2013 and 2014 IIHF competitions, obtained by CNNMoney, detail some of the perks the men's team received.

Based on the player handbooks, the men were allowed to bring along a guest while competing in the world championship games. USA Hockey paid for their guests' transportation costs, and the guests were permitted to stay in the player's hotel room.

The guests were allowed to stay until the end of the championships and also received breakfast, game tickets and an apparel package.

Not only were the women not permitted a guest, they were forced to share a room with a teammate.

The men traveled to the IIHF games in business class while the women traveled in coach. On the return trip, the men could choose to travel with their guests in economy.

Another key difference?

USA Hockey paid for the disability insurance of players on the men's team but not for players on the women's team, according to the handbooks.

The discrepancies between the benefits that the men and women got were confirmed by current members of the women's national team who played in 2013, as well as an industry agent, Brant Feldman.

The protest by the women's team comes after months of failed negotiations between the two sides.

The women's hockey fight for fair pay is just the latest in a series of public battles for gender parity in sports.

You must not have a daughter playing sports.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nothing to do with football but

Mar 26, 2017, 12:41 PM

It's not that. I think women should obviously get the same opportunity as men. The issue is that you can't give equal pay for something that doesn't generate equal money and revenue. Simple business

I agree with everything you just said.***

Mar 26, 2017, 12:47 PM

I agree.. Not Football, but since this is stuck here..

Mar 26, 2017, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Nothing to do with football but ]

It is simple economics. If this sport ever starts to make money, rather than lose it, then by all means the compensation should ad hopefully will become greater. However if they give all the same benefits now, they will simply put themselves out of business, then the social justice crew can be happy they've won, and the athletes can go back to their rec leagues with 25 people watching. It's just like Title IX. Football and maybe mens basketball have to pay for all the stuff that loses money, all in the interest of being "fair". Sometimes being fair dosn't equal being fiscally smart however.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I agree.. Not Football, but since this is stuck here..

Mar 26, 2017, 12:50 PM

Stop being logical!!!!!!!! It's not fair to one Liberal on this thread! "You must not have a daughter that plays sports".

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,389
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic