Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Some gosh dang American truth right here:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 75
| visibility 1

Some gosh dang American truth right here:

Jul 3, 2019, 12:57 PM

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-womens-world-cup/story/3892059/rapinoe-i-think-im-extremely-american?src=com

"I think for the detractors, I would have them look hard into what I'm actually saying and the actions that I'm doing," Rapinoe said. "Maybe you don't agree with every single way that I do it, and that can be discussed. I know that I'm not perfect.

"But I think I stand for honesty, for truth and for wanting to have the conversation. And for looking at the country honestly and saying, yes, we are a great country and there are many things that are so amazing -- and I feel very fortunate to be in this country. I'd never be able to do this in a lot of other places.

"But also, that doesn't mean that we can't get better. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't always strive to be better. I think that this country was founded on a lot of great ideals, but it was also founded on slavery. And I think we just need to be really honest about that and be really open in talking about that, so we can reconcile that and hopefully move forward and make this country better for everyone."

Preach.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Some gosh dang American truth right here:

Jul 3, 2019, 1:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

Jul 5, 2019, 10:18 AM

Is that pandering?

Yes, the world was founded on slavery that knew no color...

Jul 3, 2019, 1:12 PM

every race, creed, color, ethnicity, religion has known its chains.

As soon as one man could pick up a bigger rock or stick than the next, to the winner the spoils, since record time...

No one has a monopoly, though some would like you to believe that's the case.

boo hoo

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes, the world was founded on slavery that knew no color...

Jul 3, 2019, 1:54 PM

No real problems with what she said...do not agree with her lifestyle. The biggest problem is the word "reconcile" in terms of slavery...if she is talking about reparations, then this is what I always say to that:

I will gladly give reparations to the slave descendants in America for their 200 plus years of slavery, with a compensation for inflation....AFTER the Africans give the people of God (which includes Christians today) for reparations for the 430 documented years that God's people were slaves in Egypt, also adjusted for inflation. That amount would be a much higher amount with that amount paid first. Then the reparations for American slavery would be about one fourth of the amount already paid.

Well, that is what they are talking about, right? It sounds ridiculous, but no more so than what the reparations talk is now!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the US has no jurisdiction in Egypt, so, that demand is moot

Jul 3, 2019, 4:21 PM

also, the Almighty is the judge who sentenced HIS people to be taken into bondage, not only in Egypt, but also in Babylon. There is no quibbling about what sentence the Almighty decreed, nor is there any human responsible for that action.

as for the US, it has already set the precedent for reparations by paying reparations to descendants of Japanese-American citizens, to the Aleuts of Alaska for their detainment during WWII, and to the survivors and offspring of the Tuskegee experiments. So, this isn't something new to the US gov't, and I personally could care less if reparations are given or not. But more importantly, that the honest acknowledgement of the brutality of slavery and its tolerance in the shadow of "...all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.". When in fact, all men were not treated as equal, that they were stripped of their unalienable rights endowed by our Creator, and forbidden and forced to NOT strive for life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness even unto death if those men dared to stand up for themselves or others...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh...yea!

Jul 3, 2019, 4:55 PM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: the US has no jurisdiction in Egypt, so, that demand is moot

Jul 3, 2019, 5:03 PM [ in reply to the US has no jurisdiction in Egypt, so, that demand is moot ]

Agree. But once we go that route, then the USA (which was following the common laws of the time) did not exist until 1776, and American slavery ended in December 1865, so we are talking 89 years. England should be responsible for before that?

And since God is in full control, as you agreed, then that argument can also be applied to the American slavery, which included all colors of people, but mostly Blacks and Irish.

We can all agree slavery was an abomination, but your already paid reparations were for mistreatment by the government to people that were wronged by the government, not individuals like slave owners.

I am not making a race based argument, just a common sense argument. If you allow any people to look into the past to determine what wrongs were committed to a group of people, and then pay them for that wrong, where does it stop? The Jews definitely should be paid by the Germans for the Holocaust!?! The Incans, the Aztecs, all those defeated by Alexander the Great and enslaved afterwards? And maybe the worst case of all, the American Indians?

I don't believe in statue of limitations...

Jul 3, 2019, 6:19 PM

but neither did I make a case for or against reparations to the descendants of slaves. I only pointed out that the US gov't has already set that precedent. The loss of human life, human dignity and economic opportunity of the slaves in the US are no less deserving of the same penance as the Japanese-Americans, the Aleuts or the victims of the Tuskegee experiments. All of their sufferings and loss are atrocious, abhorrent and equal, so, the real discussion here is how long ago these actions occurred and that because X amount of time has passed without resolution, a discussion and resolution is not appropriate at this time. But IF you believe that the loss of opportunity, family and life of American slaves is LESS deserving of a penance than those who suffered similarly during WWII, just let me know, please explain why you believe this and I will understand...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't believe in statue of limitations...

Jul 3, 2019, 7:49 PM

I will not turn this into a racist topic. What you are trying to do is make me say something racist, and I will not. And, again, the reparations that the USA has already paid are for crimes of the government, not individuals, so no precedent has been set for paying retribution for individual horrors, such as slavery. The North made all of the money in the slave trade, while they both utilized the slaves for labor. So both sides are equally responsible, but not the government of either side. The government was the instrument of despair for the American Indians, so a precedent has been set for paying them.

you're wrong about the gov't being complicit

Jul 4, 2019, 11:17 PM

the US gov't declared negroes to be only 3/5s of a human being, and did not outlaw slavery until the 1800s. The constitution of the confederate states, expressly allowed slavery and only referred to any negro as property and as subhuman...

as for making you say something racist, that is certainly not my intent and absolutely did not even cross my mind... but please know that only thinking or just feeling it is no less racist than saying it...

LOL... just messing with you... LOL

What is a family whose American experience

Jul 4, 2019, 5:37 AM [ in reply to Re: the US has no jurisdiction in Egypt, so, that demand is moot ]

started in 1901 owe in reparations? My family didn't arrive in America
until then. We never had any slaves. So are we exempt?

I think this reparations idea is impossible to figure out equitably.

But having typed that, I will gladly give my share if
the racism card is never again played in this country.

the racism card will end when racism ends...

Jul 4, 2019, 11:04 PM

it's really just that simple... and at this point, reparations to the families of former slaves is difficult to equitably resolve; but only if the US gov't had upheld its promise of 40 acres and a mule, this discussion would not be relevant today...

Re: the racism card will end when racism ends...

Aug 12, 2019, 4:09 PM

Let’s say the 40 acres and a mule law passed, would racism exist today? I have a feeling that it still wouldn’t be enough.

Nope, nope, no...

Jul 4, 2019, 6:34 AM [ in reply to the US has no jurisdiction in Egypt, so, that demand is moot ]

Africa should make these demands to Egypt, like to-freakin-day, prior to asking some (mostly) Caucasian "Americans" to not have an issue with any other person due to their race or color.

;)

were you intending to respond to me?

Jul 4, 2019, 11:27 PM

it's off kilter as a response to my response... ??

like, it appears that you assert that Caucasian americans need not apologize for having discriminated racially until, say, Egypt or Ethiopia or South Africa apologize first...

did I get that rite??

That right there is true, but I think we should be

Jul 4, 2019, 6:30 AM [ in reply to Re: Yes, the world was founded on slavery that knew no color... ]

cognizant of the way we say it. Meaning, let's not sound somewhat agitated towards Africans who, today, have that misconstrued sense of ongoing oppression.

Re: Yes, the world was founded on slavery that knew no color...

Jul 4, 2019, 11:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Yes, the world was founded on slavery that knew no color... ]

it's not a "lifestyle," you moron, anymore than being black is a lifestyle.

Were you being serious when you typed this?

Jul 4, 2019, 6:27 AM [ in reply to Yes, the world was founded on slavery that knew no color... ]

Because, you reckon the good ol' U.S.ofA. seemed to prefer a certain race and color, from a continent named Africa?

He's an idiot.***

Jul 3, 2019, 1:12 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2019, 1:20 PM

Is she representing the United States of America? Or is she only representing the Democratic Party of the United States of America? I think she's made it pretty clear where her allegiances lie. She basically saying if you don't believe what she believes then she doesn't believe in America. I found her to be the true deplorable.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Jul 3, 2019, 3:23 PM

Heck no!!!!! She is representing herself and her lesbian partner. She wants to get paid like a guy is her biggest thing. That won’t happen until they put a better product on the field that is on par with men’s teams.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well the mens team sucks

Jul 3, 2019, 3:53 PM

I watch the women's team bc they are good and run through most teams. They should be paid more than the US Men by a long shot. If the men don't like it, then put a better team on the field.

its less competative and doesnt draw

Jul 3, 2019, 4:18 PM

any where near the revenue the mens game generates..this womens team is like uconn only a few actually can challenge them every year

Re: its less competative and doesnt draw

Jul 3, 2019, 10:11 PM

Thank you for explaining it. It’s all about the revenue brought in. Plus the womens teams are horrible. I’m sorry but I’ll be ###### if I play a sport professionally and lose to children!!!! ??
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/soccer/news/a-dallas-fc-under-15-boys-squad-beat-the-u-s-womens-national-team-in-a-scrimmage/amp/

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

right on***

Jul 3, 2019, 4:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Some gosh dang American truth right here: ]

Jul 4, 2019, 10:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Some gosh dang American truth right here: ]

Is she representing the United States of America? Or is she only representing the Democratic Party of the United States of America? I think she's made it pretty clear where her allegiances lie. She basically saying if you don't believe what she believes then she doesn't believe in America. I found her to be the true deplorable.

It is fundamentally American to love our country while at the same time being honest with ourselves about it's flaws and work to fix them. We recognized the inherent wrong in preventing women from voting and we fixed that. Those who recognized that wrong and worked to correct it were patriots, although many criticized them. We recognized the inherent wrong in African Americans fighting in WW1 and WW2 who gave as much as any, only to come home as veterans and be hung from a tree merely because they were black. Those who recognized the wrong and worked to fix it were patriots. We have a history of examining ourselves so that we could work to fulfill the promise of the Constitution. Patriots marched on Washington to secure civil rights for our oppressed brothers and Patriots marched on Washington to get us out of the tragedy that was Vietnam. Challenging our flaws is merely challenging what is historically human nature. We have dragged ourselves out of human flaws in an effort to be better people, a better society and a better country.

We as American's believe in self examination. We don't fear it, we embrace it. The Constitution is a brilliant, historically miraculous document that is a map to a better humanity. We lead the world in it's promises and we don't cower and rest in the status quo. We improve ourselves in every way we can. It can be painful and ugly, but we strive for a more perfect union and society.

No, we are an enlightened people, instructed by the Constitution. Those who condemn our fellow citizens, who risk holding a mirror up to our country, are by stumbling blocks to a better country and a better humanity. Freedom of speech is a uniquely American right. We should encourage it rather than condemn it.

She believes in trying to make the country better.

Aug 12, 2019, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Some gosh dang American truth right here: ]

How is that different than any other American?

Jeez, man--be careful. Somebody could read your comment and surmise that you think slavery was totally cool and had no bearing on how successful it made a certain portion of the country's population. Which would make you an idiot. And we both know you're not an idiot, right?

Anyway, it doesn't matter much for you anyway. You'll soon be replaced by an immigrant who's smarter and who will work harder than you. Sorry. Them's the breaks.

Jul 3, 2019, 1:22 PM

I prefer athletes to athlete. Not preach, lecture, etc.
But we have ESPN now. #angrywokelesbian
So much better now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

she does "athlete" by scoring goals. She backs it up

Jul 3, 2019, 1:40 PM

Not as if she plays like crap while saying these things.

Also I don't know where the idea that espn invented mixing politics and sports came from. It's always been the case. We boycotted an entire Olympics in 1980 for political reasons. Several athletes were vocal about issues in the past and today. I even saw something that said as far back as Babe Ruth who used to support Woodrow Wilson in presidential campaign newspaper ads.
And it's not all one sided either, there's some UFC guy who wears MAGA stuff and mentions the greatness of trump any time he can.

I prefer people to stand up for their beliefs, no matter

Aug 12, 2019, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Some gosh dang American truth right here: ]

their profession. Sorry you disagree with one of the founding principles of this great nation. Perhaps if you don't love all this country has to offer, you should simply leave.

Wow, she seems like she really understands

Jul 3, 2019, 1:23 PM

What her Agent explained in terms of post World Cup marketability. Good for her...pocketbook.

null

Jul 3, 2019, 1:27 PM

I guess "reconciliation" is difficult in the F****** White House.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 3, 2019, 1:39 PM

Amen.

The White House represents the people of this country. Not the man in it.

Jul 3, 2019, 1:33 PM

So our country was "founded on slavery", and all my life I was taught it was founded on independence. So what's next, the civil war was about state's rights?

Jul 3, 2019, 1:37 PM

The Civil War was about not allowing Rayon to gain a foothold in the factories of the north .

#winning

DB23

How many harmless Rayons died in the makings of your post?***

Jul 3, 2019, 1:53 PM

That slum lord Lincoln said it was about his buildings.

Jul 3, 2019, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Some gosh dang American truth right here: ]

Happy Independence Day eve e'ryones!

Jul 3, 2019, 3:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Some gosh dang American truth right here: ]

true there was slavery in place when it was founded but it was not founded on that as a principle and not many years later the push to abolish slavery began leading to it ultimately being outlawed. these revisionists make me sick. learn from past wrongs and up your game. eradicating things and making believe they shouldnt have existed doesnt do that. it is burying your head in the sand.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It pretty much was!!***

Jul 3, 2019, 10:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Some gosh dang American truth right here: ]

Jul 3, 2019, 1:35 PM

I believe being the gay is wrong and as an American I can believe that. Luckily, we for the most part do not throw them off buildings in the U.S

I may be wrong, may be right. Either way, she's welcome to keep diving in the grass all she wants, but I'll never say she isnt in the wrong for it or agree with her lifestyle choice

Re: the dead period sure does suck

Jul 3, 2019, 1:45 PM

be nice to talk about football on the football board.

Re: Is she

Jul 3, 2019, 2:13 PM

going thru the changes from being a woman to a hairy man? Those kind get testy while metamorphosing.

Well, she's a slot reciver that doesn't like a pounding

Jul 3, 2019, 3:25 PM [ in reply to Re: the dead period sure does suck ]

it between the tsackles.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

I don't even know who that Rapinoe fella is that is

Jul 3, 2019, 3:14 PM

quoted in the copy and paste and I'm too lazy to click the link to figure out why I should care about what he says.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Is Rapinoe, Native American; maybe you 2 has the relations?***

Jul 3, 2019, 3:18 PM

No, I think you're thinking of the Arapaho Indians

Jul 3, 2019, 3:50 PM

Although I can understand the confusion

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Yes, possibly, but definitely not off the boat Pakistani...

Jul 3, 2019, 3:55 PM

or Asian Indian.

Incorrect statement from lead poster..imho

Jul 3, 2019, 3:57 PM

America was NOT "Founded" on Slavery!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At one point reportedly ~70% of the population of the Colonies...

Jul 3, 2019, 4:01 PM

was indentured Europeans, fathers that sold themselves, their wives & children into slavery because they could not afford the passage to the New World and all the opportunity that existed.

You are right Bill, we're mutts, we kicked ### & founded these United States on Independence.

<###### width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/#####/ckGmv3Xrg1E" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen>

My earliest American ancester arrived here in the late 1600s

Jul 4, 2019, 1:04 AM

as an indentured servant.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Jul 3, 2019, 4:00 PM

Met her once at a USSF coaching conference up in Virginia about 8-9 years ago. My sense in the (very brief) conversation I had with her was that she was the original Teflon Lesbian and doesn't give a sweet crap what you or I or anybody thinks of her. Friendly enough, but obviously marches very much to her own beat, and was definitely not looking for validation from anybody.

I will say that the woman has scored some of the best goals for Team USA any player male or female has ever scored, and she tends to do it in key moments when the team absolutely has to have them...and she's got skill that, say, Abby Wambach never had. Rapinoe is just a magician on the ball, absolutely terrifies opponents because nobody has the slightest clue what she's going to pull next, actually reminds me more than a little of Clint Dempsey. She just...tries stuff, and often as not it works, even when it has no right to. She's been the Alpha personality on that team for awhile now - which is saying something, when you consider the stature of some of the players on that team, few of whom are exactly shrinking violets. All of England is kinda mad at Alex Morgan right now because she did that tea-sipping celebration after heading in the game winner against the English girls yesterday, and breaking England's collective hearts yet again...which you'd think the Limeys would be used to by now, but which they suffer through every men's World Cup and are now keeping that tradition up with the women as well. Which was more than a little cheeky of Morgan, actually. But even Morgan defers to Rapinoe.

Hate all you want, those girls don't care much. Which is actually...kinda cool.

Jul 3, 2019, 11:27 PM

So who is the best player on the team? At scoring goals I guess? SB Nation had a article about a player not starting that should have (horculs?), the author hinted that she was the best; just wondering.

Jul 4, 2019, 6:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Some gosh dang American truth right here: ]

quozzel ........... Most of England aren't mad at Alex Morgan's celebration because (a) we don't really care about women's football, evidenced by the fact that games in the top league of England, had an average attendance of 830 people last season, (b) many of us believe she was mimicking smoking a joint not sipping tea, and (c) either way, it's a pretty lame and dull celebration.

after they win the tallest midget tournament

Jul 3, 2019, 4:06 PM

she will be irrelevant for another 4 years

USA was founded on slavery?

Jul 3, 2019, 8:05 PM

Hmm, I thought the Brits brought that do the USA.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: USA was founded on slavery?

Jul 3, 2019, 10:16 PM

and it's still hard to get good hep!

Jul 3, 2019, 10:52 PM

Oh God, another athlete to be regarded as an authority of any subject they speak about publicly. We should muse and discuss her profound words of intellect and of course her political aspirations. The question posed to her that started this was prearranged, Ingraham had it right "Shut up & dribble"-

Or You Could Just Play Soccer And Keep Your Mouth Shut

Jul 3, 2019, 11:06 PM

By the way purple hair is really for people 18 and under

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Okay, let's talk about it.

Jul 3, 2019, 11:22 PM

Slavery was wrong ... way wrong. America allowed it and participated in it, and was wrong for it. Then America ended it, for all practical purposes, over 150 years ago, to the tune of 620,000 lives. Time to move on you stupid, self-absorbed mutherfokers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

If we're going to talk reparations - can't leave out

Jul 4, 2019, 8:00 AM

England, France & other European countries that wanted all the cheap cotton & textiles we could sell them. By the Civil War, of all U.S. exports - 60% was cotton - from 750,000 bales in 1830 to 5-million bales in 1860. AND - the British went from paying 30 shillings a bale to ONE shilling per bale.

Also, if you want to point to sinister motives, Britain stayed out of the Civil War so that our cheap, plentiful wheat would keep coming; and even worse, the cotton they had warehoused (U.S. cotton) would skyrocket in price - which it did. That's also "PROFITEERING" on the backs slaves.

So if WE pay reparations - Europe had better pony up too and stop lecturing US on the evils of slavery.

Agreed. The entire world was racist, tribalistic, and

Jul 4, 2019, 11:31 AM

xenophobic at least until the mid/late 20th century, for the most part. Much of the "civilized" world benefitted from and/or participated in slavery. By no means does that make it right, or any less evil. The point is, America is not unique in that regard, not by a long shot. We all know it happened. Slavery and Jim Crowe and discrimination and civil rights have been taught and discussed in schools since I was a kid; we don't hide it or downplay it. Refusing to stand for the anthem, honor the flag, and other attention seeking behavior is nothing but petulant, narcicisstic virtue signaling.

- H. L. Mencken

1968 Olympics

Jul 4, 2019, 2:11 PM

Patriots Tommie Smith and John Carlos say hi.

Welcome to 2019.

Jul 4, 2019, 3:03 PM

I was around in 1968, and trust me, we've come a loooooooooong way since then. If you're not happy and honored to represent your country, then don't.

- H. L. Mencken

This country wasn't founded on slavery.

Jul 5, 2019, 7:30 AM [ in reply to Okay, let's talk about it. ]

This country was founded on a recognition of God given rights to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness. People want to act like America wouldn't have happened had it not been for slaves. Sure, slaves enriched people back then but not everyone. Heck, the men who escaped the reign of the king and came to America were looking for freedom. I'm not talking about the founders but the men who fought beside them. The Kings and Queens called us the 'commoners.'

People now days seem to think that colonist only came here so they could enslave Africans. They act like that wasn't happening in Europe. People talk about being oppressed in America now. English people didn't own the land, it all belonged to the Kings and Queens. They didn't have a say in how much they paid in taxes.

People who fight against slavery in America today are fighting against air. No one justifies owning another human in America today. This is a fight against history, against people who have been dead for 200 years. No one is offering an excuse for them so those of you who think there's a war to wage need to find someone to fight against.

You'll never be satisfied with more victory than we already have against slavery. Slavery was abolished from existence long ago. The people who owned slaves are just as dead as the slaves they owned. No one defends them and nothing you can do or say will make me feel guilt for something I had nothing to do with slavery, never promoted slavery and have no intent on promoting or defending slavery today.

In the complete frustration that none will fight with you, you attack what? You're miserable but your misery I refuse to share because I played no part in your misery. Burn the Flag instead of unfurling it, kneel when they play the Star Spangled Banner instead of standing, remove icons of those who gave blood and gold to see that flag fly above a free American and rejoiced when that song was played. I refuse to join you in misery and more so, I'm still a commoner and refuse to fight. When you find an enemy let me know and I'll kneel with you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This country wasn't founded on slavery.

Jul 5, 2019, 9:23 AM

Slavery was abolished in the 1860's. But African American's weren't guaranteed civil rights and the right to vote until the 1960's. That 100 years needs to be recognized as well.

Consider it recognized.***

Jul 5, 2019, 11:52 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This country wasn't founded on slavery.

Jul 5, 2019, 10:37 AM [ in reply to This country wasn't founded on slavery. ]

"This country was founded on a recognition of God given rights to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness."

No it wasn't. Those were just words.

The constitution is just words too.

Jul 5, 2019, 11:55 AM

What bothers you about that?

I wouldn't say it was founded on slavery

Jul 5, 2019, 1:41 PM [ in reply to This country wasn't founded on slavery. ]

But it's hard to establish a country on the following premise when you have people who own other people.

"This country was founded on a recognition of God given rights to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness."

Which is why MLK saw the civil rights movement as the fulfillment of that premise.

"In a sense we have come to our nation's capital to cash a check. When the architects of our republic wrote the magnificent words of the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence, they were signing a promissory note to which every American was to fall heir. This note was a promise that all men, yes, black men as well as white men, would be guaranteed the unalienable rights of life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked 'insufficient funds.'"

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wouldn't say it was founded on slavery

Jul 5, 2019, 3:17 PM

"It is obvious today that America has defaulted on this promissory note insofar as her citizens of color are concerned. Instead of honoring this sacred obligation, America has given the Negro people a bad check, a check which has come back marked 'insufficient funds.'"

The lingering interest on that check is reading. Slave owners refuse to allow slaves to read. The repercussions of that linger in the black community today. I resent being charged with crimes committed by those in the past.

America has covered that check which was returned and works every day to try and settle the issue but if we have a real failing to cover that check it is that we've failed to teach everyone in this country to read at a functional level. Few argue with expansion of our educational system yet for all the money we put into our system the ROI is not nearly high enough. Of all communities we've failed, black communities are suffering the most.

I resent being charged with crime against those who are long dead too. Nothing can be done to restore them to what they might have been had they not been enslaved. There is no way to retroactively set them free or compensate them for their labor.

What can we possibly do other than what we are doing now? I refuse to feel guilty about something I didn't do to people no one ever enslaved.

I'm not really for reparations...

Jul 5, 2019, 3:39 PM

but as long as there are people saddled with failures traceable to slavery (and enhanced by failures that continue to this day - See: e.g. - corridor of shame in SC) the folks not so burdened can't cry too much about unfairness.

I agree, education is a key, but we are still failing to educate a lot of a people.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You can't split the head and pour understanding in it.

Aug 12, 2019, 8:15 PM

Say as you want but opportunity for education is all America can offer to correct the reading issue. We have kids starting school at 4 yrs old and laws which force them to attend the following 13 years. No amount of money is going to make them read, study or think. None.

Teaching someone isn't the same as learning them. A father can learn you but it's against the law for a teacher to take those measure. We've dumbed down our public education to try and 'allow,' minorities most hopeless to keep up.

Our efforts to try and restore the damages from the injustices of the past have destroyed public education. That, imo, is the main reason the economic gap is widening and the lower economic class is growing unfettered.

There's no fixing it. The percentage of kids who can't read with any comprehension is going to only get worse. The schools will continue to dumb down standards to accommodate those dragging behind. The gap will continue to grow and the lower economic class will too.

Technology will magnify the problem. What's the chance someone who can't read gets a blue collar job in a factor full of technical machinery?

End the massive earned income credit tax breaks. Put tighter limits on social benefits, force recipients to attend classes to teach them what they should have learned in school and reward two parent households with the money saved from earned income tax refunds. Don't let anyone enter the country who can't pass a GED test.

Re: You can't split the head and pour understanding in it.

Aug 12, 2019, 8:27 PM

You're just an overall bad human being and you get worse as time goes on. You believe in prayers. You need someone to pray for you since you believe in that junk.

Zackly what's wrong with what I wrote in that post?

Aug 12, 2019, 8:52 PM

You touchy/feely people have destroyed our schools and destined so many poor people to perpetual poverty. As if you care as long as you get the good feels from doing what you 'feel,' is right. The results are in on liberal education and you get an F.

Re: I'm not really for reparations...

Aug 13, 2019, 6:08 PM [ in reply to I'm not really for reparations... ]

but as long as there are people saddled with failures traceable to slavery (and enhanced by failures that continue to this day - See: e.g. - corridor of shame in SC) the folks not so burdened can't cry too much about unfairness.

I agree, education is a key, but we are still failing to educate a lot of a people.

Everyone arrives at the start line at the same time when it comes to education . Name one instance where slavery has impacted education levels of today.

Replies: 75
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic