Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A Few Thoughts. On the ACC, Tajh and Nuk, etc.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

A Few Thoughts. On the ACC, Tajh and Nuk, etc.

Jan 3, 2013, 2:08 PM

This will be a disorganized rant post about some things I keep hearing thrown around, etc.

1. ND isn't an ACC School in FB at this point. With an NC run this year, they are that much farther from needing to join a conference and until they absolutely have to, they won't be joining a conference.

2. Louisville is a great school. Charlie Strong has done an impressive job there the last few years. However, if he leaves in another few years, I have serious questions about continued success from them. It's a significant statement for him to turn down the Tennessee job, but I don't know if that is long-term loyalty to the Louisville program, or just not liking the UT job. They have potential, but they're definitely not guaranteed to be a consistently good FB program over the next ten years.

3. Primarily, the ACC has three problems. 1) Stumbling powers. 2) Swofford. 3) ESPN. Beginning with #1, basically, GT, VT, and Miami need to get their s--t together. These programs should be consistent top 15 teams. They're not, right now. It would also help the ACC if FSU would be consistent. 2) Swofford has done a horrible job negotiating good contracts for the ACC and he's single-handedly devaluing the conference, not to mention the fact that we should have snatched up WVU when they were still available on the conference realignment carousel. 3) Precipitated by #2, but, it'd be great if taking a p--s on the ACC wasn't a favorite pastime for ESPN.

4. It'd be nice if a number of the consistent fair-to-middling performers--UNC, NCSU, BC, Pitt--could really start being consistently good teams.

5. Heather Dinich got it right, for once! Here's an article about FSU and their inability to achieve on the level with their talent. A loss at State, barely beating a sucky VT, struggling against Miami, scoreless in the second half against a 7-7 GT, and letting NIU (who?) hang around with them for WAY too long. http://espn.go.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/50721/fsu-wins-in-unconvincing-fashion

6. Tajh returning is key for 2013. I think he most likely will, but assuming he does, we appear to be set for something special in 2013. Nuk returning would be good, but other receivers would be able to carry the load. I just don't see another one of our QBs ready to take over and run the O.

7. Since this is the place, if ever, to say this, his name is Tajh! I see people everywhere spelling it Tahj. Annoys me probably wayy too much.

8. Tajh Boyd for Heisman 2013. He has a great shot and I hope he can deliver. But, his campaign clearly hinges on Clemson being a legit, title contender. If Tajh is going to win the Heisman, he's got to perform a bit better than this year and Clemson needs to run the table. If that happens, his chances are very good.

9. I. So. Can't. Wait. To. Play. Georgia. Considering that this would mean a lot for our SOS, it'd be nice for Aaron Murray to return to make UGA a top 10 team. So that we can look good when we (hopefully) beat them.

10. Clemson has beaten the defending SEC champion two years in a row. :D Now, if we can start beating the current SEC Champion.

11. I'm talking pretty big. I realize that. But if Tajh comes back, and we can play with the physicality we did earlier this week, I there's not a team we can't beat. Especially, if we win the turnover battle.

13. I've heard some be disappointed in Rod McDowell, but I see a great runner with clearly the potential to accompany Tajh in the backfield. I've really liked what I've seen out of him this year as both an up the middle runner, as well as end-around runner. Throw in Boyd, Howard, Dye, and Gallman, and I think we are set for our running game in 2013.

14. Biggest question for me for 2013, other than Boyd's return, is our secondary with like all our starters at safety leaving. I know Travis Blanks will step up, the question is: who else will? Also, I'm curious to see how our D-line recruiting class turns out.

15. Best article about the game this week.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20130101/clemson-beats-lsu-chickfila-bowl/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

some good points...

Jan 3, 2013, 2:17 PM

I don't see GT as a consistent top 15 team. Too much to overcome recruiting to that type of offense.

Don't forget Zac Brooks in the backfield.

Also don't forget Martin Jenkins, Breeland return to the secondary. We may finally see Cortez Davis flip the switch.

What exactly are the recruting problems for that offense?

Jan 3, 2013, 2:44 PM

You can tell running backs that they are going to get a boat load of carries, regardless of whether they play the A or B positions, and they don't even have to be All-American talents to excel in that system, they only have to be tough and willing to hit.

You aren't going after elite quarterbacks or receivers, so you can tell kids that have no other shot at first tier D-1 football that they can come to GT, compete at a high level, and get a heck of an education while they're there. If you are a good receiver, you are guaranteed develop blocking skills that are likely to pay more dividends on draft day and in rookie camps than above average statistics accumulated at other places.

You don't need NFL prototype offensive linemen, but rather kids that are quick and smaller and play with a chip on their shoulder.

So what exactly are the obstacles to recruiting in that system? By my lights, there are none, unless you have an administration that refuses to make exceptions for athletes, which I believe is part of the problem in Atlanta.

This. In addition, recruiting for defense has to be easier.

Jan 3, 2013, 2:46 PM

"Hey kid, we're going to chew up time and give you all the rest in the world, so when it's time for you to go play D, just go balls to the wall because you know you'll get another 5 minutes to take a breather when you're done."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...not really....

Jan 3, 2013, 3:42 PM

"Hey kid, during spring practice and 2-a-days, our OL is going to be diving at your knees over and over...."....

because you do not get the kids who want to get to

Jan 3, 2013, 2:46 PM [ in reply to What exactly are the recruting problems for that offense? ]

the NFL. That does not mean they CAN'T it just means you limit yourself. I don't think if you went across the country and had 5 schools to choos from GT ranks high on any list.

You assume they only want to recruit elite prospects

Jan 3, 2013, 2:51 PM

however, there are any number of sources that explain that CJP doesn't necessarily evaluate recruits based on NFL ability. Instead he goes after exactly what fits his system, not necessarily what the NFL or the recruiting services highly value.

Just because GT doesn't go after prototypical NFL prospects doesn't mean they can't have prolonged success.

I didn't say "no success" I just don't think annually

Jan 3, 2013, 2:53 PM

top 15. Occasionally yes.

Annual top 15 is a pretty ambitious goal

Jan 3, 2013, 3:03 PM

Becuase all but the very elite teams can achieve that standard year after year. Heck, even the likes of Texas, Southern Cal and Michigan (and as recently as a couple of years ago Notre Dame and Florida State and many other traditional powers) have had trouble remaining in the top 15 annually.

But GT could easily be a top 25 team, which is probably their realistic standard. And they could do that with their option attack.

I agree with that.***

Jan 3, 2013, 3:10 PM

and to be clear...

Jan 3, 2013, 3:12 PM

I don't dislike the option at ALL. I for one am glad it is still being used and think it is one of the facets that makes College football MUCH MUCH more interesting than pro football.

There you have it

Jan 3, 2013, 3:16 PM

We definitely agree there. I love the option, always have, and I'm glad there are folks like Paul Johnson that continue to keep it alive and are unapologetic about it.

The pro game is boring to me because other than a few teams they all run a variation of the same offense. I know why they do it, but I prefer variety. You want to see some real variety? Go watch some high school ball - that's where some of the the real innovation occurs...

point. agree with that 100%***

Jan 3, 2013, 3:24 PM

So what? you don't have to. You get the athletes who would

Jan 3, 2013, 2:52 PM [ in reply to because you do not get the kids who want to get to ]

otherwise be overlooked. You get NFL talent on defense and you get NFL runningbacks. You don't need NFL WRs or QBs. You need a glorified RB at QB, which is what 50% of high schools in the country have.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is a reason Nebraska stopped using that offense

Jan 3, 2013, 2:55 PM

and they did it better than anyone.

Yeah, stupidity.***

Jan 3, 2013, 2:59 PM

Becuase Tom Osborne retired.

Jan 3, 2013, 3:00 PM [ in reply to There is a reason Nebraska stopped using that offense ]

and they hired a guy that had a different approach. And he sucked out loud...

No. Solich took over. They fired him (inexplicably)

Jan 3, 2013, 3:06 PM

at 9-3. Then they brought in Callahan who did suck.

Still, that answers the question you asked -

Jan 3, 2013, 3:12 PM

They didn't abandon the option becuase it was no longer successful, but instead becuase of a coaching change that brough a different philosophy. They could easily go back to it, and in fact incorporate many of the same concepts in their current offense, but they pass they ball more...

And 9-3 will get you fired at Nebraska. They're nice folks, but they demand the highest level of excellence, as they should. And 9-3 isn't quite their standard... Same here, hence the firings of Ken Hatfield and Tommy Bowden.

That coaching change was done with the purpose of

Jan 3, 2013, 3:23 PM

going to a more pass oriented offense. I am not arguing that it can't be done. I remember vividly (much like it happened here) that Nebraska wanted to change the offensive philosophy to a pro style approach. I'm, again, not saying it is what they SHOULD have done (I still think the 95 Nebraska team may have been the best all time).
In the same realm of how ESPN spews everything SEC coaches constantly sell kids on getting to the next level. It is just what they do. Kids very often pick schools based on what offense they run as well as what defense. That was my whole point of why I don't think GT could not be consistent top 15.

1995 Nebraska and 2001 Miami

Jan 3, 2013, 3:27 PM

are the two best college teams in my lifetime, hands down. Anything earlier than about 1980 and I'm relying more on legend than my own perception.

That '95 Nebraska team was just jaw dropping. Both offensively and defensively.

We're on the same page

Jan 3, 2013, 2:59 PM [ in reply to So what? you don't have to. You get the athletes who would ]

I've never understood this line of criticism of the option attack, because raw physical talent is important but not nearly the most important criteria when evaluating prospects for an option attack. Now, there are plenty of legitimate criticisms of the offense, like if a team has additional time to prepare and a dominant front 7 or 8, or has lock down corners that don't need safety support, then the offense can struggle due to the numbers game.

But the beauty of the flexbone - or any option-based system - is that it doesn't require elite talent to be very successful, and instead forces defensive coordinators and players to make decisions and take risks that put them at a numerical and alignment disadvantage.

Yep. People who attack the TO annoy me.***

Jan 3, 2013, 3:07 PM

I appreciate your views on CPJ's offense...

Jan 3, 2013, 3:40 PM [ in reply to We're on the same page ]

It's very clear that CPJ's system is something that some schools who have a recruiting disadvantage can use. When your admin is not committed to bringing in the best players, going to a guy like CPJ can help keep you competitive. But there's a breaking point when we face teams that out-talent us. Our level of talent is so far below UGA, that they're now blowing us out. And though we've historically been on an even-par with Clemson, that's now no longer the case in talent. Under Dabo, I think Clemson will now just out-talent us to win, just like UGA. We have the same issue when we play talented bowl teams and teams like Miami/FSU.

I guess what I'm saying is that CPJ's offense allows us to be competitive with less talent. But it reinforces the "less talent" part of it, and we still end up on the short end of the stick against better programs.

I'd prefer to go all-in on recruiting, and not to rely on a scheme to help us maximize results with a bunch of 2-star recruits.

You're right about Georgia Tech...

Jan 3, 2013, 2:29 PM

However, for us to fix the program and reach our potential, there needs to be buy-in from our administration particularly with loosening up on who we can recruit. Currently, there isn't a buy-in. So, we're not going to be a factor at this point.

It's strange to be sitting in Atlanta, the largest city of one of the most talent-laden states in the nation, and to try to compete with one hand behind our back. But that's what we do.

Anyway, I appreciate the fact that someone of another fanbase realizes the potential that Tech has.

Oh please.***

Jan 3, 2013, 2:33 PM

Care to elaborate?*

Jan 3, 2013, 2:47 PM

Everybody has recruiting excuses, I don't buy them.

Jan 3, 2013, 2:53 PM

I think your next QB should have been this year's QB. I think PJ's system lends itself well to capitalizing on the "leftover" athletes who aren't pursued by the pro-style offensive teams. GT has plenty of advantages with PJ as the coach, and should capitalize on them instead of making excuses.

No, everybody DOESN'T have recruiting excuses...

Jan 3, 2013, 2:58 PM

Some schools have an administration that gives the football coaches all the facilities, academics support and recruiting leeway that they NEED to compete. Others don't. If you can't see that there are differences, then you're delusional.

facilities are an excuse for losers

Jan 3, 2013, 3:00 PM

I said that when Tammy Bowden was using the excuse, and I say it now

So then, we're all on an even playing field, eh?...

Jan 3, 2013, 3:30 PM

Do you really believe that?

Is Duke's admin trying as hard to win in football as FSU? Is Vanderbilt allowed to go after the same athletes that Alabama can?

look, just because you have a few smart Asian students

Jan 3, 2013, 3:48 PM

doesn't make your school something special, alright? Stop making excuses.

Now, you're veering off-topic (and getting racial)...

Jan 3, 2013, 3:51 PM

If we follow what you say to its logical conclusion, then everyone is on the same even playing-field, and no one has a right to say that their admin is getting in the way of competing. If that's what you truly believe, then you simply have no idea what you're talking about.

I'm just kidding around since I realize that you're never

Jan 3, 2013, 4:00 PM

going to agree with me and I'm never going to agree with you (especially as you invent an inaccurate argument for me then argue against it) so I figured why waste time with a serious discussion?

I didn't invent anything and you know it.*

Jan 3, 2013, 4:14 PM

I kinda have to agree with Tom here

Jan 3, 2013, 3:09 PM [ in reply to No, everybody DOESN'T have recruiting excuses... ]

GT's woes this year weren't due to recruiting. Although I do recognize that GT has some of the disadvantages you point out.

In my amateurish analysis, GT's problems this year were (1) youth at QB, but that will be an advantage next year and (2) a DC that is past his prime and didn't evolve quickly enough. Groh was a fine coach that has forgotten more football than most of us will ever know combined, but he never figured out how to consistently keep up with modern offensive attacks. If he'd faced a pro-set every week, GT would have been fine, but that's not the ACC any more.

I think GT is going to be a tough tough out next year, for sure. Especially with the young QB continuing to mature...

That guy is the real deal. Extremely quick and seems to

Jan 3, 2013, 3:27 PM

be able to throw the ball. Only question mark is can he make the reads. I couldn't tell if PJ was calling the dive or if he was handing the ball off in his playing time during their bowl game.

same here

Jan 3, 2013, 3:29 PM

Couldn't tell what was going on.

I am not looking forward to that game next year, even if everyone returns. Have to believe CPJ will him teach the reads this spring and summer and that their defense will be much improved.

Re: No, everybody DOESN'T have recruiting excuses...

Jan 3, 2013, 3:43 PM [ in reply to No, everybody DOESN'T have recruiting excuses... ]

U are absolutely correct.. if U think guys that get in So car and Bama and Auburn can get in Clemson and Tech U have your head in the sand!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You're right about Georgia Tech...

Jan 3, 2013, 2:34 PM [ in reply to You're right about Georgia Tech... ]

Congrats on whipping the real USC.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thanks.*

Jan 3, 2013, 2:43 PM

Re: A Few Thoughts. On the ACC, Tajh and Nuk, etc.

Jan 3, 2013, 3:11 PM

Re: A Few Thoughts. On the ACC, Tajh and Nuk, etc.

Jan 3, 2013, 3:52 PM

I agree with a lot of stuff you said, I don't really like to talk about all the ACC contracts and stuff because I really don't know much about it. But as far as players go, you don't think chad Kelly could come in and tear it up if Tajh chose to leave? I'm not arguing with you on anything you're saying, just wondering what your thoughts on Kelly are. I am 100% behind Tajh whatever he chooses to do, and I hope he returns, but if he doesn't I really think chad would show out. Also to add to your running back mix, Zach brooks, just needs to learn to keep his feet under him and how to put that hand down and make a good controlled cut. He's been getting a lot of time on special teams this year, and I think he's going to help. I also think Hopper can make some explosive plays out of the backfield and he can be a handful when he gets going. I believe Gallman will end up red shirting, but I think Dye can have an impact. I believe with our wide receivers, and an experienced o-line (I believe from left to right it will be Battle, Beasley, Norton, Shatley, Thomas), we can be deadly. Nuk (hopefully), Watkins, peake, Humphries, Bryant, hopper, and maybe mike Williams if he doesn't redshirt. That's a scary group to cover, especially with chad Morris telling them what to do. Tight ends will also be good with Cooper, Seckinger and McCullough. Seckinger and McCullough are just as athletic as wide receivers IMO. Hope Seckinger can get a little bigger and stay in to block as well, but McCullough is the one I'm really excited about. and you're dead on about Georgia, can't wait! Hell I can't wait for the spring game. Your secondary concern, I believe Robert smith can step up. If you watched him on the sidelines this year, he would be right on the edge of the field just waiting for someone to need a breather. Don't remember exactly which game it was, but Meeks came out for a few plays at home, smith was running on the field before a coach could even look for him. I love that. He's a hard worker also, so I think he can be a nice replacement. Martin Jenkins will be back, which adds more depth to that secondary. Anxious to see how Breeland, Robinson, and peters work in the off season. Hopefully they are fueled by competition because those spots on the depth chart are anything but sure things IMO. I'm excited about dj reader, and also excited to see him on the baseball field. He's a very smart kid and I think he will be a huge help. Grady, Deshawn, and Corey all need to continue to get better, maybe even enough to redshirt some of those freshman coming in. But if Adams decides to come, i believe he doesnt redshirt and he contributes from day 1. Vic Beasley! So excited about this guy! When it all clicks, I expect him to take over. He's a monster in the weight room, great kid with a good head on his shoulders. I think his name will be called a lot next year. Carlos Watkins also a guy to watch. Played a little, but I think a summer in the weight room could help him tons. My biggest question is linebacker. I hope Anthony, shuey, and steward all get out there together. Q. Christian also returns, hopefully he can be consistent with some of the flashes he has shown. Sorry that just kept going on, but I'm really excited about this team. I think every offensive position will produce and I think that defense is going to fly around next year! Go tigers baby!

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic