Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
This 40+ yr fan and Clemson Grad weighs in on our dark times
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 2,007

This 40+ yr fan and Clemson Grad weighs in on our dark times

Sep 20, 2019, 8:02 PM

Since we are getting nostalgic and more importantly, appreciative for what we have now - I'd like to weigh in on when the dark winds of mediocracy first darkened the door of the Clemson Football Program.

It was the day the music died, January 1st 1992, Ken Hatfield's second year. I remember attending a the opposing team pep rally the day before. They chanted that the score would be the number of Nobel Prize winners they have to ours - 20 to nothing. I am not sure the number. I don't care. It was Cal Berkley. Ha. You wait, I thought.

Our pep rally moments later, one of our best defensive players shouted obscenities and got excused from the first half.

As the tail-gate waned the day of the game and the ball about to be kicked....clouds literally rolled in. Clemson offense had three interceptions and Russel White for Cal had 100 rushing yards by half-time. This was unheard of from Clemson defenses through 10 years before. Crazy.

Yeah, we were mashed by Cal. Didn't get any better as we went on to lose but 2 of the next 8 bowl games. Included in the two victories as a 1 point win to Kentucky on a fluke last minute play and another win against Louisiana State in the Humanitarian Bowl. Yes, Humanitarian bowl. Don't ask.

Love these times folks. Love them.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: This 40+ yr fan and Clemson Grad weighs in on our dark times

Sep 20, 2019, 8:06 PM

You shoulda been around in 72....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2019, 8:44 AM

No thank you. This was bad enough.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

go to hell, Cal***

Sep 20, 2019, 8:07 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: go to hell, Cal***

Sep 20, 2019, 8:13 PM

Cal has pretty much sucked since that game.

Re: go to hell, Cal***

Sep 21, 2019, 12:56 AM

I was at that pep rally with my wife, young son and one of his buddies. Our guy yelled "Cal ain't $hit!" We were appalled. Never have ever seen such poor behavior. We were never in that game.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When I say Cal you say "aint _________"

Sep 21, 2019, 8:49 AM

Turns out that they were and we were the ones not worth a ________. Cringe worthy stuff man.

Sep 20, 2019, 8:12 PM

I am 51 and have been going with season tickets since I was an infant. Those were indeed dark times.

Sep 20, 2019, 8:15 PM

LOL! You had BOWL GAMES and called it dark times? Get off my football lawn! :) :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 20, 2019, 10:12 PM

69' through 73' no picnic.

Sep 21, 2019, 8:22 AM

Yeah, but we turned things around the next year and we printed bumper stickers that read
7 AND 4 in '74. Good times to win 7 games.

Thanks.

Sep 21, 2019, 12:35 AM

I've been trying to forget that game for decades.

Re: Thanks.

Sep 21, 2019, 8:45 AM

No way dude. If I have to remember then you do too!!

Then after Hatfield it got much, much worse...

Sep 21, 2019, 7:43 AM

The Tommy West years made the Hatfield days look like sunshine and rainbows.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2019, 7:54 AM

I was sitting in the stadium as a kid , not knowing any better at the time, watching us get plowed by just about everyone. Yet, I was a kid and the term”ignorance is bliss” was spot on. I remember looking at the crowds and hoping that it would be big but it was mediocre but still loud. I remember after the prayer some man, every single game would shout”and God Bless the Tigers!” Yes, these were the real dark times but in those dark times many, many passionate Tiger fans were forged. If, and only if, you have lived to get excited about beating....well, anybody, you get it. It makes where we are now, as both a program and a University, unbelievable! Funny, I wouldn’t trade those “dark days” for anything because if we loved our Tigers then, we can handle anything even our 4th, 5th or 6th National Championship ?? Go Tigers!

I remember that man yelling after

Sep 21, 2019, 7:58 AM

every prayer too. Good times.

I was in high school. Unfortunately for me the first time we lived close enough and

Sep 21, 2019, 8:32 AM [ in reply to Re: This 40+ yr fan and Clemson Grad weighs in on our dark times ]

Were in financial position to get season tickets. I remember how quiet I thought the stadium had gotten. The orange and white cheer seemed unemotional. Don’t remember the year but we did go to a bowl game against Kentucky, I guess it was the peach bc Atlanta. I’ll never forget being down til the very end at ky fans being so confident and talking crap and then we pulled it out and won. That was at least a bright spot.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was in high school. Unfortunately for me the first time we lived close enough and

Sep 21, 2019, 9:04 AM

That was the bowl after this one. Good golly we sucked then.

Re: I was in high school. Unfortunately for me the first time we lived close enough and

Sep 21, 2019, 9:16 AM

I was 9 in 81 watching my dad get all excited about the Tigers and him yelling. Been a Tigers fan ever since. But, after that game for years as you said, some lean times rolled in. Often when you could see we had more talent on the field - we would still lose. It was very frustrating and nearly unbearable.

I couldn't agree more that everyone should really enjoy the status Clemson football has climbed to and soak it in. It hasn't always been and who knows how long it will be like this! Enjoy every second!

****on another note: this is the very reason I sometimes wonder why some posters talk about our attitudes and not getting ahead of ourselves. Which I agree with if that is what it was. But saying, our Tigers will win isn't being cocky. I was saying that in 91, 92 even if we weren't. It's okay in other words to acknowledge we currently have set the standard in college football!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 21, 2019, 8:46 AM [ in reply to Re: This 40+ yr fan and Clemson Grad weighs in on our dark times ]

Can't taste the sugar without the salt.

Exactly. Older fans know why we celebrated the 1974

Sep 21, 2019, 8:49 AM [ in reply to Re: This 40+ yr fan and Clemson Grad weighs in on our dark times ]

"Undefeated Home Season" with a commemorative Pepsi bottle, even though the overall record was only 7-4. When you are drowning, you will gladly grab any life preserver you can!

Re: Exactly. Older fans know why we celebrated the 1974

Sep 21, 2019, 9:13 AM

Yep, thats why the Coots got a ring for winning their division. LOL

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Exactly. Older fans know why we celebrated the 1974

Sep 21, 2019, 9:18 AM [ in reply to Exactly. Older fans know why we celebrated the 1974 ]

Excitement Galore 74'

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 2,007
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic