Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thinking how an exciting feeling it Was to see Tigers play 3 of last 4 Natties & where I watched!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1,889

Thinking how an exciting feeling it Was to see Tigers play 3 of last 4 Natties & where I watched!

Mar 18, 2019, 8:03 PM

1st time was with my #1 GF at a super football loving couple’s home but with 10 minutes b/4 game time the door bell rang & a couple they’d know for 30 yrs that I’d never met popped by and were invited to watch game, to my chargrin..and just minutes into game Alabama caught a long pass and the female guest jumped up & screamed with glea, not realizing that all my ten yards of Orange clothing meant I was for Clemson! We lost!

So, for the 2nd Natty I decided to stay at home all by myself with $65 worth of food (couple chilled beers, BBQ, Brunswick Stew, hush puppies, baked beans, potato salad & banana pudding)..and enjoyed it 110% better. We won!

Then, this year I drove from SAV Ga 50 miles NE to Hilton Head Island to watch game with the Beaufort Clemson Club at a Bar-Restaurant called Cheap Seats on Main St and encountered a slew of nice & spirited Tiger Fans..sat at bar to eat pizza, fries & beers but had two college age Coot fans next to me. We got along & even shared pizza slices while I asked why they would show up at this important game amongst us & they wouldn’t really give a good answer but I figured they were there to giggle when Tide rolled us. Anyway, we won handily & No Roll Tide was heard!

Comparing all three viewing venues, I take #2 at Home!

PS: I was at 1st Natty in 1981-2 with Family at Orange Bowl & thoroughly liked my guests & venue.

How bout you Tiger, what were your experiences?

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thinking how an exciting feeling it Was to see Tigers play in 3 of last 4 Natties

Mar 18, 2019, 8:06 PM

Prestigious for sure

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Home

Mar 18, 2019, 8:15 PM

I live in Silicon Valley so this year the National Championship game was local. From a logistical standpoint it would have been quite easy to get there and back - less than 15 miles away and I can walk to mass transit too.

BUT - tickets are a lot of money. I can afford it, but that doesn't mean I put that same value on it. We had a very rainy winter and the forecast that week was a lot of rain.

So an uncomfortable evening in a rainy stadium in a seat that probably cost me $1,000 +. Or I can make some great food (I am a great cook - and yes, I'm bragging), plenty to drink of whatever I want, and the comfort of my sofa.

The deciding factor for me - if I went to the trouble and expense of going and we lost ... OUCH. Well I'm glad we won, and I was warm, dry, well fed, drinking well, and no hassles whatsoever. Then I just walk down University Avenue in Palo Alto to the Old Pro sports bar and join in the fun there without having to spend 4 hours prior with those sweaty, unclean, heathens.

I'm happy with my choice.

The party is just getting started LBB.....

Mar 18, 2019, 8:21 PM

We got a good chance of being in 3 of the next 4 as well.....as long as Trevor stays healthy and DJ decides to come on down to Tigertown I think this would be a pretty safe bet....... gonna be fun to watch.......Go Tigers!!!!!

Awesome. Where were you at the first national championship

Mar 18, 2019, 9:30 PM

win? I was 18 and sitting in the upper deck of the horseshoe part of the old Orange Bowl. The last three natty games, I was at home. I can't do sports bars or Clemson Clubs for the big games, I'm just way too nervous. But I would do Clemson Club gathering or all Clemson gathering before sports bar. Your experience with the guest showing up at the house, pulling for Bama, is why I never put myself in a possible situation like that.

Agree 81to85 .... only watch with immediate family so I ....

Mar 19, 2019, 1:55 AM

.... don’t do anything that would be embarrassing for rest of life!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

reply to lightbulb bill's post

Mar 18, 2019, 9:37 PM

watched all 4 games with my son in the comfort of my kitchen which is where I watch all of our games.superstition dictates(first and only time I watched a game on the flatscreen in the den was the west va orange bowl).fridge with plenty of liquids available and bathroom a few feet away.one of my good friends up here is a Tuscaloosa native,both he and his wife,but friendship ends when the ball is spotted.he or someone else once suggested that we should watch the games together.squashed that immediately.normally fairly calm,but turn into mr. hyde during our games.it's not pretty.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Interesting LBB ... thanks for ....

Mar 19, 2019, 1:57 AM

....posting !!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Sorry for long post - tried to make it interesting

Mar 19, 2019, 5:45 AM

Sorry for long story but 82 game was a nightmare and wild crazy story. Tried to make it fun to read.

Was experiencing first real job living in Chicago out of grad school when Jan 82 hit. Had been in the Windy City about six months.

My gf (now wife) lived in ATL, parents/family all in Gville area so had spent most of ?? / vacation time (what little I had) on ?? between Chi and Atl - but was determined to go to Miami for game.

Game was on Friday (holiday) - just needed to find a way to get off on Thursday. Real pain in butt boss refused to give me day off! - no idea how important it was!

WED AFTERNOON - fake ?? convenient headache/upset stomach and had to leave work early ( ?? to Atl)

WED LATE - wife picked me up and ?? to Gville in order to borrow parents car (wife’s car wouldn’t survive a trip to ?? )

WED MIDNIGHT - in Gville, very little ??

THUR EARLY - left parent’s for ?? after ?? to boss from parents saying couldn’t come in to work - pretty sure he knew I wasn’t even in town! — Back then you couldn’t kind of tell a LD call!— needless to say, that was first and last Chicago ?? - hated the freezing ?? anyways!).

Wife and I both had family members making the trip (everyone in both families all ?? - been fortunate over the years). She was staying with her sister/bro in law - me with Uncle/Aunt/cousins — no extra money for hotel (and of course we couldn’t stay in same room ?? lol)

MIDNIGHT NEW YEARS EVE - Remember hitting Miami at midnight when New Year struck. Had to drop her at hotel, me go to my hotel, both already dead tired ??

FRIDAY MORNING - Tried to ?? Fri before ?? but families and excitement etc - no way. Headed to game, ?????? afterwards like it was 2017/2019 lol). Exhausted by time in bed.

SAT EARLY - Had to get up and make ?? back to Gville - HAD to be back in Chicago Monday morning early for work!
On road as early as possible but traffic and heat was terrible. Busted radiator hose, traffic and rain storms ... (anyone else get stuck in Tiger Traffic on toll roads ???????)

MIDNIGHT SAT - arrive in Gville - had Sunday noon ?? from Atl to catch.

EARLY SUNDAY - Overslept / hit road to ATL / missed flight / had to scramble to get Red Eye ?? to Chicago.

2am MONDAY MORNING- back in apt in Chicago.

8am MON MORNING - ???? ?? into work and boy did I look ??!

The whole ordeal was awful (but I was young and had to see the Tigers play!) was worth it but could NEVER do that now!!????

But may have never gotten over it - didn’t make it to any of the recent games- spent 2016 at sports bar with family in ATL worried myself almost into heart attack.

2017 home with family going outside at midnight all yelling.

2018 home watching tv getting ready for open heart surgery the next week - I swear games over the years did it to me lol I’m actually glad this wasn’t a repeat of 17. I would have not been able to watch!

This year Hudson’s in Sandy Spring with wife hoping it wasn’t a close game. Didn’t want to test the heart. Was worried that first quarter but what a relief. Get way to excited!

Sorry for long post!

Quite the ordeal OrangeATL .... Glad Tigers ........

Mar 19, 2019, 7:38 PM

.... won!!

My Natty Game stories

Mar 19, 2019, 6:07 AM

Jan 1982 I was 18 months old... My dad tells me that we watched the game. He was a UNC grad who grew up in Greenville so he cheered for Clemson.

2016 game flew to Vegas for the weekend. Rented a car and drove to Phoenix. The Game was officiated by a PAC 12 crew. My friend is a PAC 12 official (but wasn’t assigned to that game). He got me a ticket and we sat with the game officials family members. It was difficult not screaming at the officials for an entire game.

2017 game was great. I live in Tampa and a friend gave me a free ticket in the lower bowl. I was sitting in the corner opposite from the Renfrow TD. Unbeknownst to me my friend recorded the last play on his cell phone and got my reaction. Literally the happiest moment of my life caught on camera.

2018 Sugar Bowl- travelled to New Orleans for New Years. Same PAC 12 official friend was a referee for that game. Had dinner with the crew 2 nights prior. I’ve decided that I will not longer speak to my friend in the lead up to a Clemson CFP game that the PAC 12 is working. LOL

2019 game decided to stay in Tampa and watch at my house. Watched with a couple friends including the guy who hooked me up with the free ticket for the 2017 game. Once again, unbeknownst to me, my friend was recording me the entire game. He put together a highlight video of me yelling at the tv and basically losing my mind. It’s uncomfortable to watch but still great.

I’m thinking I’ll got to the 2020 game to watch the Tigers with our 3rd in 4 years.

Re: My Natty Game stories

Mar 19, 2019, 6:49 AM

Unless I can attend the game (which living in the UK is difficult), then I'd always choose to watch the game, at home, sitting in my armchair, either alone or with my son.

If I watch with anyone else, they're always likely to distract me in some way, whether with stupid conversation, or questions, or asking for food and drink.

I want to be fully focused on the game, and only my son seems to understand this, and share this view.

Re: My Natty Game stories

Mar 19, 2019, 7:24 AM

Completely agree with you... i typically watch the games by myself at home so that I can yell at the tv without being judged. If someone really wants to come watch at my house they know the rules. Cheer for Clemson, and don’t bother me.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1,889
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic