Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Thinking about the championship game
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1,054

Thinking about the championship game

Feb 2, 2020, 3:42 PM

Announcers and draft prognosticators talked all season about how Isaiah Simmons can line up all over the field and make an impact. Linebacker, defensive end, can cover in the secondary ... he can do it all. And at various points in the season we've seen it all.

I just have to wonder aloud: could he have covered Ja'Marr Chase one-on-one? Kendrick and Terrell and whoever else was unlucky enough to draw that assignment couldn't. But could Simmons?

I realize that it changes the way we play defense if we make this switch, and perhaps LSU cuts us some other way if we make that assignment. But if he is our best defender, has length, has speed, etc. ... couldn't we have at least tried? Put our #1 on their #1 ... is that too simplistic?

I don't expect him to *shut down* Chase. But the guy burnt us for 221 yards on nine catches with two TDs and set them up inside the five for another one. That's 21 points. Take half of that away. If we get our defense off the field a little earlier, and give our offense a few more plays, I think we could have won that game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No idea..but

Feb 2, 2020, 3:56 PM

uncharacteristically our O didn’t get but 1 of 11 3rd down plays and theirs did.

If we’d gotten, say 4 more 3rd downs, then D would have gotten more rest..and LSU would have been on field less.

Lots of if’s but bottom line is LSU was the 2019 team that Clemson was in 2018..15 & 0 winners.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Our problem in that game

Feb 2, 2020, 4:56 PM

was that LSU adjusted to what we were doing on defense and we didn't adjust to their adjustment. They found the holes in our 3-1-7 with slants and seam routes.

and.....

We were getting good pressure up the A and B gaps early, but they tightened things up a lot. We knew JB would flush up and out and we set traps for him, but they figured that out and we didn't change.

and....

As others have said, JB put the ball where it had to be.

We had a good plan on defense and it worked early - we just didn't adjust to their adjustment...... too stubborn, I guess.

Then there's offensive play-calling........ man-o-man!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Our problem in that game

Feb 2, 2020, 5:45 PM

The problem in that game was the offense period.

If the offense had done more, the defense would have been on the field less and there would have been more pressure on LSU and the defense could have taken more chances to get pressure on LSU.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1,054
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic