Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
When did everything become about conference?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,029

When did everything become about conference?

Feb 22, 2020, 2:27 PM

I’m turn on ESPN and see Michigan at Purdue on TV.

The announcers invite recent Purdue great Robbie Hummel on the air with them as he’s getting honored this weekend there.

The very first thing he says as he’s invited on? “Nothing better than Big Ten basketball. Can’t beat it”.
Not about Purdue but about the conference. I just find it odd how that’s such a focus these days.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: When did everything become about conference?

Feb 22, 2020, 2:35 PM

Around 2008 when Florida won the national title in football giving the SEC 3 in a row is when i feel like it really ramped up.

In the state of South Carolina....

Feb 22, 2020, 2:39 PM

It ramped up in 1992 and those idiots haven’t let up since.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

Re: In the state of South Carolina....

Feb 22, 2020, 3:49 PM

Yep peaked when SCAR won the SEC East in football that one year and then burst when they got curb stomped by Auburn in the worse loss in SECCG history.

Re: When did everything become about conference?

Feb 22, 2020, 2:50 PM

When they started televising garbage teams like the coots and vandy, the only way to advertise it was to gloat about how great the conference they are in is.

Think about it this way

Feb 22, 2020, 4:05 PM

If you have a really good team that is beating everyone they face, are you going to say -

"Ya know, we're winning a lot of games but, let's face it, we're doing it because we play a bunch of creampuffs and will probably have problems when we face real teams in the playoffs"?

or would you rather say -

"Man, it just doesn't get any better than (insert your conference here) (and your sport here)! Any team can win any game at any time."?

You get to compliment the opponents that you play year in and year out without have to remind the interviewer that you're beating the hell out of all of them.

It also works well when your team sucks. You can claim that if you didn't have to play all world competition every week that you would really be a good team.

Kind of like gamecock football has used what they learned from playing in a tough conference so that they dominate when they play outside of it. If you don't believe me, look it up. There's an App for that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,029
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic