Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Have we ever learned who the coot is in the front office of
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

Have we ever learned who the coot is in the front office of

Apr 29, 2019, 12:30 PM

the Carolina Panthers? ITS BEEN 25 YEARS!!! 175 ROUNDS of the NFL DRAFT!!!! A coincedentally it just has never worked out to take ONE Clemson player.....There is no way in this world that this is the only team in the NFL that has never drafted a Clemson player and there not be something to it. Regionally it makes no sense, practically makes no sense, yet every year just about they draft a coot (no name nobody this year.)

I mean im not saying a Clemson player would be the cure for all ills or anything but they draft captain munnerlyn, jasper brinkly, eric norwood, this OT i've never heard of.. i mean... seriously?!?!?... WE cant get one dude IN 25 FREAKING YEARS to be drafted? Ever?

I mean Clemson is an elite program now and still?? no one. IN 7 rounds. No Clemson player is worth a sniff. I mean it makes sense regionally to bring in fan support. It makes sense becasue we have great players nowadays, it makes sense to on so many levels but its either coot players or nc school players that have made their draft board...

Theres something to this..i thought it was the previous ownership but now that JR is gone its still stinking of something in those personnel offices and i've tried and tried but i'm probably completely done with caring. I'll be a Texans fan through and through now. Screw you Carolina. You want to play games and continue to suk then have at it.

https://247sports.com/nfl/carolina-panthers/Article/Carolina-Panthers-never-drafted-Clemson-player-127473796/

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Have we ever learned who the coot is in the front office of

Apr 29, 2019, 12:43 PM

Not that it makes much difference now, but there was a lot of talk about Clelin to the Panthers this year. He just wasn't on the board anymore when it got to their pick.

Definitely wish they had taken Mitch in the late rounds, but whatever reasons they have, it's their call not mine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so, you have a pick... your last pick of the draft

Apr 29, 2019, 1:03 PM

and these are the combine results:

player 1: 20 bench reps, 103 broad jump, 7.95 3 cone, 4.92 20 yd shutlle, 26.0 vert
no post season awards, 1st started 11 games, 2nd year full time starter
player 2: 28 bench reps, 102 broad jump, 7.72 3 cone, 4.52 20 yd shuttle, 25.5 vert
consensus 1st team all conference, 2nd team All American, 4 year starter

which one of these guys will you take for a value pick in the 6th round?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s all about vert!

Apr 29, 2019, 2:15 PM

That 0.5 inches could be the difference in a blocked kick or not... which doesn’t make much sense since he’s not a d-lineman but DON’T EVER QUESTION THE HURNEY!!!

~JKB

Funny!! and I'm guessing that you recognized that

Apr 29, 2019, 4:50 PM

player 1 is Dennis Daley and player 2 is Mitch Hyatt... I would think that strength (bench), explosiveness (broad jump) and short area quickness (shuttle and cone drills) would be most important for OLineman... given the on-field performance and measurables, Hyatt should have been that value pick because he was available...

I'm no cowboys fan but I hope Hyatt does well for them and the Steelers can pick him off the waiver wire, or in a trade...

I have no idea if this is 25 years of coincidence or

Apr 29, 2019, 12:50 PM

a lifetime conspiracy, but there is NO WAY that Mitch Hyatt (an All American) goes undrafted and they take Dennis Daley (NOT EVEN all conference) even in the 6th round...

that really is a head-scratching situation... and it really puts fuel on the fire that there is a problem with them drafting Clemson players...

They've had other opportunities

Apr 29, 2019, 1:00 PM

In 2016, they passed on Mackenzie Alexander and drafted
3 other corner backs after Josh Norman left for Washington.
Now Mack hasn't exactly lit up the NFL, but he may have
developed sooner with more opportunities and less veterans
ahead of him. He got a lot of playing time this past season
including 6 starts and had some decent numbers. I was hoping
he would be a Panther.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they've had opportunities practically every year

Apr 29, 2019, 1:08 PM

to draft a player from Clemson, definitely more years than not but ownership can dictate a lot of things including draft picks if they are that involved, but I would not think that the Richardson's would have an issue with Clemson considering that we opened our stadium to them in that 1st year of play when the coots wouldn't and Mark Richardson is a CU grad...

also, I wouldn't think that player personnel staff would be the same given that they have had a number of coaching staffs over the years. It really is baffling...

Re: They've had other opportunities

Apr 29, 2019, 2:26 PM [ in reply to They've had other opportunities ]

Well they only had one pick in the 2016 draft before Alexander was picked, and they used that pick to draft a DL.

The Panthers suck.***

Apr 29, 2019, 10:14 PM [ in reply to I have no idea if this is 25 years of coincidence or ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Apr 29, 2019, 12:59 PM

Macht's Nichts

Why does it matter? The Panther's are a business. Not a fan club.

yeah, and Clemson fans dont care anything about

Apr 29, 2019, 1:50 PM

former Tigers in the NFL. Were you there the when Deshaun came through town, were you there when Boulware played his final Preseason game with them? Were you around when they drafted Armanti Edwards? He was selected solely for local PR. How many scrub SC players are they going to take? And you can't take One scrub Clemson player in 26 years?

If anything it would only improve their Business. How would it hurt business to bring in a couple local guys and the lower tier levels of the draft? Thats the whole point. As a fan i'd like to see a Clemson player one day at Carolina. But it hasn't happened and I can't say that about ANY other team in the NFL. And it makes no sense business wise.

Apr 29, 2019, 1:07 PM

As someone who grew up and still works in the shadow of BOA, thank god they’ve never drafted a Clemson player. They aren’t good anyways. Glad I don’t have to pull for them lol

Apr 29, 2019, 1:09 PM

They sold 100% of their tickets this past year, and 99% of them the year before so they aren't exactly in a position of needing to draft certain players to sell tickets.

I'm not sure why they haven't drafted any Clemson players, but I highly doubt it's because they are purposely avoiding them.

which game was full last year? That place looks about about

Apr 29, 2019, 2:02 PM

50-65% full in the upper decks. I guess businesses are buying them and not using them.

And again, i'm not saying they need to draft Clemson players to make them better or sell more tickets. I'm just asking WHY it has happened this way for 30 years and no other team has this phobia. And the part that makes no sense is their a locally viable team that would help build a more unified fan base. Clemson fans make up a ton of people in the area.

Its just suspicious. you can't argue with the talent we produce in the last 10-12 years can you? They've picked more players from Louisiana Monroe than Clemson in 25 years. Call it however you want to call it but it makes zero sense from a business or logical standpoint.

Re: which game was full last year? That place looks about about

Apr 29, 2019, 2:18 PM

Certainly some open seats, but they are selling them somehow. I also question how many Clemson fans would attend games based on them drafting 1-2 guys. Maybe if it were a QB like Watson or something, but I doubt drafting an OL or DL from Clemson would have Clemson fans coming out in large numbers for 8 games per year. Maybe some would find their way to a game or two, but the Falcons have 2 of our guys starting on their defense and I don't think our fans are going out of their way to make it there even though the distance is similar for many of our fans.

It's also not as if they've never signed any former Clemson players or anything. I don't think it's likely they have some sort of "don't draft any Clemson players" policy, but deem it acceptable to sign them in free agency.

i wish i had the picture of the locker room NFL Helmet mural

Apr 29, 2019, 2:41 PM

that was in the old football rec room at death valley. It has all the helmets of the NFL teams and all the Clemson players that have played for each of those teams over the years. I'll tell you this..theres one outlier in the group of the 32 and i'll let you take a guess which team was the leanest. And its by a long margin. Maybe its coincidental. If so its staggering.

And also i guess i'd be in the minority of attending an NFL game for the sole purpose of seeing a Clemson grad play. Its seriously the only reason i watch out of market NFL games. Its used to be either panther game, playoff/super bowl games, but majority would be for Clemson players to see how they fare. For years and years... i thought all Clemson fans did this...?

Take Beasley and Grady off of ATL's defensive line and why would i watch? Its NFL, who cares other than clemson affiliations or local teams like Carolina but i might be done with that . the product isn't any good, they're adding kneelers, and have always been intolerant of Clemson players.

Re: i wish i had the picture of the locker room NFL Helmet mural

Apr 29, 2019, 6:01 PM

You also have to take into account that the Panthers have only been around since 1995 compared to much longer for most of the other teams. I'm not saying they've had a ton of Clemson players during that time, and I'm sure several teams have had more Clemson players during that time period, but I'd be interested in seeing the numbers compared to other teams since 95.

I understand what you're saying about more interest due to former players. I pulled for the Cowboys as a kid, and I'd probably name them as my favorite if someone pressed me for an answer, but I honestly don't care that much whether they win or lose the way I did as a kid. I care more about how my fantasy team does on Sunday than I do about the outcome of any game, so really I don't have a favorite team. So I'll also find myself checking to see how our former players did in games, and will try and watch a game if it's being televised with any of our guys. I just don't think that's going to motivate me to buy tickets and go out of my way to attend one though.

It's just a coincidence

Apr 29, 2019, 2:06 PM

that Clemson has had so many amazing players over the years and NFL like to draft players that want live in their city and they have never drafted a Clemson player.

Just like all of these were "coincidences."

https://bestlifeonline.com/true-conspiracy-theories/

Curtis Whitley

Apr 29, 2019, 2:07 PM

A center.. I think that was his name...didnt they draft him many moons ago?

I actually think he may be deceased now?

unfortunately no... (link)

Apr 29, 2019, 2:16 PM

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/car/draft.htm

They've had some trades to get Clemson players in the past but only a handful. Most notable was Buckner, Rod Gardner, and almost Baushad Breeland but...not alot of orange in that locker room over the past quarter century.

Thanks for that info, and you're right

Apr 29, 2019, 5:22 PM

Their bizarre anti-Clemson stance is a reason they will will never win the big one ??

panthers might be jealous

Apr 29, 2019, 2:27 PM

I think Clemson has won more postseason games in BoA Stadium that Carolina has.

Apr 29, 2019, 3:17 PM

If it makes you feel any better...

The Baltimore Ravens haven't from Clemson either...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, sort of. The Baltimore Ravens organization was the

Apr 29, 2019, 3:38 PM

the Cleveland Browns before they left Cleveland for Baltimore in 1996. We had Clemson draftees on the original Browns team many times before they moved to Baltimore. Clemson has also had players drafted by the new Browns organization that came along after the original Browns left Cleveland. Cities have changed for a lot of teams over the decades, the Rams, Raiders, Patriots, Browns, etc but the organizations have not disappeared.

Again, the Panthers organization started brand new in1994, and they are the only active original organization to never draft a Clemson player.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they just must not want to win since they don't go with the

Apr 29, 2019, 3:19 PM

winners

Apr 29, 2019, 3:30 PM

Didn’t the panthers pick up a Clemson. Player in the free agency ?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

I have often railed about this as well. Perhaps something

Apr 29, 2019, 5:03 PM

went on during that initial season that they played in Clemson that permanently turned them against us. I have never heard such, but there has to be something. To quote Leroy Jethro Gibbs, "There are no coincidences."

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I have often railed about this as well. Perhaps something

Apr 29, 2019, 6:07 PM

Yeah, but why would they go out of their way to avoid Clemson players in the draft, but sign a few in free agency over the years?

I'd also say if the Panthers had some sort of policy about not drafting Clemson players then some former scout, coach, or office employee would've spilled the beans by now. That's especially if it's someone who was fired for not winning enough, or for not making the right moves. No way would someone in that position not come out and say they were told to ignore players they may have thought could help them from Clemson while taking the blame for not doing their jobs well enough.

Pretty hard to explain why they would draft the nobody OL

Apr 29, 2019, 10:27 PM

from Usuc, instead of Hyatt!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 29, 2019, 10:06 PM

It's ok, we're all friends here. You can tell us what you really think.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic