Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Remember when the NCAA banned putting bible verse numbers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Remember when the NCAA banned putting bible verse numbers

Aug 4, 2020, 2:04 PM

on the eye black patches?

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/346014-tim-tebow-rule-the-ncaa-bans-eye-black-messages

Why did the NCAA not want messages by players then but now have allowed it?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

They're bowing to the mob

Aug 4, 2020, 2:14 PM

They think that's where their main supporters will come from.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They're bowing to the mob- and that is my issue

Aug 4, 2020, 2:21 PM

why start this. who decides what is acceptable? And even when they do that the mob can turn on players just because of a patch. Just seems there is enough stuff that really needs to be done. This seems like a diversion down a road we dont need to take.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They're bowing to the mob

Aug 4, 2020, 2:23 PM [ in reply to They're bowing to the mob ]

Some of that mob they are bowing to are the same ones wanting 50% of the revenue.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remeber when the NCAA banned putting bible verse numbers

Aug 4, 2020, 2:19 PM

Tommy Bowden almost got Tebow to come to Clemson .
But Urban Meyer being so devout and so godly ... we were always gonna be second there ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 4, 2020, 2:24 PM

Yep ole Saint Urb. I just love watching him dejectedly eat his pizza after 31-0. I think he is as big a fraud as Booby Bowden

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2020, 2:26 PM

Bobby is ok to a point.

Urban is just a less successful Woody. Woody only lost to us once and at least put up a fight.

I hated FSU in the 90s but I always felt Bobby was sincere..

Aug 4, 2020, 2:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Remeber when the NCAA banned putting bible verse numbers ]

I know he liked to keep kids on the team despite infractions but I think his heart was in the right place...I've read his books and his sincerity in them comes off as genuine.

Re: I hated FSU in the 90s but I always felt Bobby was sincere..

Aug 4, 2020, 5:07 PM

Bobby Bowden’s philosophy was if you cut a player lose then you had little to no influence on that player. Bobby felt if you kept the player on the team then the Christian coaches had a much better chance to have a positive influence a bad boy player.

Tommy And Terry used that same philosophy during their coaching career. It’s the same philosophy Dabo and staff used the same approach now. Dabo is more vocal and I think that is why he is so successful as a HC an example of young me.

IMO we were fortunate to have Tommy Bowden who was able to build a foundation to have Dabo as our current HC. A coach with confidence and vision to build Clemson into an elite program. Who has a coaching staff with the same character, integrity and love for those kids they recruit. Recruits who come to Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

LOL at Booby Bowden!

Aug 4, 2020, 3:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Remeber when the NCAA banned putting bible verse numbers ]

That was a typo in one of Mickey Plyler's blogs if I remember correctly.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Did he really...

Aug 4, 2020, 3:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Remeber when the NCAA banned putting bible verse numbers ]

I've never heard much about Tebow coming to Clemson. I know he grew up a huge Gator fan and thought he was a day one lock for them.

Re: Did he really...

Aug 4, 2020, 3:26 PM

He did though . Some young reciever coach was his principal recruiter , and he had a lot of love for CU and Bowden .

DB23

Supposedly Dabo had him ready to commit to Clemson

Aug 4, 2020, 3:33 PM [ in reply to Did he really... ]

but we would not extend a scholly because of our pursuit of Willy Korn.

Now, Tebow has said in different interviews that he was about ready to commit to 3 or 4 different schools at one point or another, and he also has said he always knew he was going to UF, so who knows the full truth.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: Supposedly Dabo had him ready to commit to Clemson

Aug 4, 2020, 4:35 PM

This is my understanding as well. I grew up a Gator fan and follow them almost as much as I do with Flemson.

Clemson made serious inroads with Tebow and Clemson might have even been a #2 for him (though a far distant #2). Him going to UF was about as close to a sure thing as there is these (or those) days.

In the end, hard to argue with his decision based on outcomes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Remember when the NCAA banned putting bible verse numbers

Aug 4, 2020, 3:45 PM

They did not ban bible messages. They banned all messages as while Tebows was specific to religious and the most high profile case, other examples like area codes and other messages were creeping in. For once the NCAA actually pulled their heads out of the sand to realize there was a gap. Basically,you would have had a lot of BLM in the last few seasons or other messages. Imagine if #hashtags and directed advertising were growing more popular and this rule was not in place. It was a gap in their rules, they closed it.

Now the NCAA is changing course. Fine but don't push it as some conspiracy.

B/c theres no threat of crazy people coming to burn down

Aug 4, 2020, 4:25 PM

your house or ruin your business/career if you don't let them.

Worried about getting woked up side the head...............***

Aug 4, 2020, 4:40 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well it is because

Aug 4, 2020, 5:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Welcome to The New Normal: Prayer in public schools not

Aug 4, 2020, 5:16 PM

allowed, but riots and burnings of public buildings? Just fine.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic