Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Best comment - this is the year the old BCS would've worked
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 347

Best comment - this is the year the old BCS would've worked

Dec 2, 2018, 1:07 PM

Two teams clearly separated themselves.

Yup.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They would’ve put ND in over us for tv ratings.***

Dec 2, 2018, 1:09 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good point***

Dec 2, 2018, 1:12 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They wouldn't have.

Dec 18, 2023, 8:33 AM [ in reply to They would’ve put ND in over us for tv ratings.*** ]

But this would've been the year the BCS would've hated because it would've begged for a Play-Off

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

You've forgotten the power ESPN has to control the votes.

Dec 2, 2018, 3:42 PM

The BCS computer was dominated by AP and Coaching votes. Had there been no Playoff Clemson would never have sniffed a NC game during any of the years previous because we didn't blow teams away all season. Only a few years ago was the 'ACC weak schedule,' line abandoned which would have killed us on the wheel of metrics with which ESPiN hyped the SEC.

The Playoff and the Playoff alone, is why we are included, imo. The only difference now is that four teams are selected and following the final game the POC produces a poll which has great influence on the following preseason polls. Those two factors are the only redemption of fairness in the system.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's completely incorrect.

Dec 2, 2018, 4:30 PM

The BCS comprised of three separate things, 1/3 was Coaches Poll (we are #2 in that by the way), 1/3 was Harris Poll (which is now defunct), 1/3 was an aggregate of 6 different computer models (we are #2 in that by the way).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I lost all trust in the BCS when they put LSU v Bama in 2012 chamionship.***

Dec 2, 2018, 4:33 PM

I'm thinking most people abandoned all hopes of a...

Dec 2, 2018, 4:59 PM

good NC game when ND played Alabama. A handful of AP voters voted worth teams down into the 20s to get ND that spot. The BCS was a system which put the SEC winner and a chump team up to serve asz and prove the SEC was the best conference again and again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The AP Poll had nothing to do with the BCS***

Dec 3, 2018, 9:38 AM

You are misguided and nearly forgetful.

Dec 2, 2018, 4:56 PM [ in reply to That's completely incorrect. ]

I said the PO polls released after the final game had a bearing on the preseason polls of the following year. AP and coaches are influenced by ESPN every day throughout the offseason.

Of course we're #2 right now. That started when the POC released their first post season poll. For decades everything was based on the preseason polls. Now, after the top 16 or so teams are matched postseason the committee's influence has a great bearing those preseason polls.

ESPiN still pumps the SEC teams in the early season because the SEC plays so few out of conference power five teams. It's nothing to have four SEC teams in the top 10 right before the final weeks and we're still seeing two SEC teams show up in the top 4 during those last few weeks of the polls.

Brother, when the PO began I had high hopes for the system. It's better now but ESPiN still has great influence on the PO polls.

This is borderline "tinfoil hat" stuff.

Dec 3, 2018, 10:20 AM [ in reply to You've forgotten the power ESPN has to control the votes. ]

I LIKE IT!

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe we should adapt a choice of post season

Dec 3, 2018, 9:43 AM

structures to how the year went. This year the BCS, last yr the playoffs, another year would be AP poll voters etc.

Replies: 11
| visibility 347
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic