Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I hate that expectations for Clemson Football will be so
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

I hate that expectations for Clemson Football will be so

Mar 7, 2013, 9:52 PM

high this year. Around the country I mean.

I always have high expectations .

I just do not like the pressure national attention puts on the team.

would prefer to come roaring out of the unknown .

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I hate that expectations for Clemson Football will be so

Mar 7, 2013, 9:56 PM

Thrive off the pressure. Don't let it consume you and relax.

True that

Mar 7, 2013, 9:58 PM

and congratulations on you recent news

Mar 7, 2013, 11:51 PM [ in reply to Re: I hate that expectations for Clemson Football will be so ]

These sky-high expectations scare me to death. We have a ton of questions with this team, both on offense and defense. We could easily lose 4 games; hope I'm wrong.

Mar 8, 2013, 12:14 AM

By that logic, any team can easily lose 4 games.

yeah... no

Mar 8, 2013, 2:05 AM [ in reply to Re: I hate that expectations for Clemson Football will be so ]

We have very few questions. Really, the only one is whether or DBs will provide quality depth. The only position where somebody will be playing that we don't know about is at saftery opposite Blanks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree..hopefully the difference this year is that.....

Mar 7, 2013, 9:58 PM

..those high expectations are warranted...

Re: FSU, USC, and UGA All Have High Expectations

Mar 7, 2013, 11:41 PM

Agree, but a mumber of teams on the schedule have high expectations and were ranked higher than CU at the end of the season.

Do not hate! Be proud and LOVE Clemson football

Mar 7, 2013, 9:59 PM

And our increasing National stature! Be enthusiastically All IN! Hatred is a toxic emotion!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

aint hatin bro

Mar 7, 2013, 10:02 PM

Just nervous as a certain lady in church

I am so far "all in" I can hardly breath !

Re: Hear Hear.***

Mar 7, 2013, 11:43 PM [ in reply to Do not hate! Be proud and LOVE Clemson football ]

Re: Do not hate! Be proud and LOVE Clemson football

Mar 7, 2013, 11:55 PM [ in reply to Do not hate! Be proud and LOVE Clemson football ]

Hello! Objective comment is not "hate." Invest in a dictionary. Give it a break!

Mar 7, 2013, 10:16 PM

Biggest problem we have is not the pressure. Our problem is coaches and players get lazy when they think they are good. After they see that being lazy didn't cut it,all will say that they just weren't ready and there's no one to blame but themselves. We need to be working like we are a 7 and 5 team.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Amen, that has been a problem in the past

Mar 7, 2013, 10:24 PM

They read all the hype and do no do what it takes to be there in the end.

They need to be hungry from the start.

I'll not excuse that behavior in our coach.

Mar 7, 2013, 11:30 PM

Dabo had trouble instilling confidence in Tajh. I met Tajh's cousin a couple of years ago in an auto parts parking lot.

I saw his well worn cap and the sun faded PAW and struck up a conversation. It turned out that he played lineman for us in 2002 or thereabouts.

He told me Tajh was a bag of nerves when things didn't go his way. I think Dabo knew this and considering the average age of our players as Dabo tried to handle Tajh's problem he the pendulum swung too far toward confidence.

That's not excusing Dabo. He just didn't have the experience managing the team's emotions. Our kids went from "We can't lose," to "We can't win," in a matter of one or two games.

As Dabo has learned to handle the kids they have learned to handle themselves. That is exactly what they are talking about when the say "We are playing against ourselves."

I think anyone who watches the LSU game can understand how much they've grown emotionally.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll not excuse that behavior in our coach.

Mar 8, 2013, 12:00 AM

Did you notice how physically they prepared for that game? Should we not have that "warrior" mentality all
year?

They will now

Mar 8, 2013, 12:20 AM

Coaches can preach and push and everything, but until each player realizes and feels exactly what it takes to beat a top physical team, its hard to prepare to that "abstract" level day in and day out. Now that they have, and succeeded...different ball game.

Mar 7, 2013, 11:57 PM [ in reply to Re: I hate that expectations for Clemson Football will be so ]

Great. Some objectivity at last.

I remember expectations for 1981...

Mar 7, 2013, 10:26 PM

season were good but not sky high as they are for this season. It was not until after Georgia win that expectations for that season jumped high (since Dawgs were #1 in '80). Who knows...expectations could be warranted if they beat the Dawgs this year. Make no mistake...in all likelihood, Tigers will probably need someone to upset another team enabling us to claim the Nat. championship outright(i.e. Penn St. whipping Pitt enabling us to be #1 that season). In any event....GOOOO Tigers and win them all in '13!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good point, and then there was that shaky start with Wofford

Mar 7, 2013, 10:30 PM

tis what makes college football the very best

There were close games that season...

Mar 7, 2013, 10:41 PM

Tulane, Kentucky, NCS, & UNC were undecided until near the end. Tigers will need good play for entire games...and some good luck to win them all.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I remember expectations for 1981...

Mar 8, 2013, 12:05 AM [ in reply to I remember expectations for 1981... ]

In 1981, we were not even ranked in the top 20 at the beginning of the season. And, were coming off a very mediocre season. As Frank Howard said, he'd rather start at the back of the room and move to the front rather than vice versa. I agree. We could easily lose 4 games this year.

I just want to beat the coots this year.

Mar 7, 2013, 11:03 PM

It seems beneath me as a Clemson fan to admit this, but I am really, really sick of them. It would be nice to win 11 games this year, but I would rather crush them in that dump they call a stadium

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I just want to beat the coots this year.

Mar 8, 2013, 12:07 AM

I agree. No matter how you spin it, if we don't beat Carolina, there is a stain on our season----it's not the same.

Lets just spot the ball!!

Mar 7, 2013, 11:12 PM

Lets play some football!!!

Mar 7, 2013, 11:20 PM

You know, back in the day almost any undefeated team could play for the NC. That was before ESPiN took up the SEC mantle. Couple that with the BCS computer model which has one factor called preseason polls and it's almost impossible to come roaring out of no where and seize the crown.

Coming from no where just won't happen until the BCS era ends. Perhaps the playoff system will give relief to the teams that deserve a spot.

If it's anything like the NCAA tourney selection process I believe it will be better than what we have now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 7, 2013, 11:56 PM

The SEC and BCS pre-season poll was exposed like the man behind the curtain in the Wizard of Oz this bowl season. Alabama has gotten the benefit of the doubt as the best team for wins they had several years ago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWyCCJ6B2WE

how do you propose they sort the teams out, then?

Mar 8, 2013, 2:09 AM

You pretty much have to have preseason polls based on past seasons, or on something other than just the games played in the current season, because otherwise you'd never be able to sort the teams out. You can't just treat every season like a blank slate, otherwise you'd have absurd situations where clearly inferior teams were "ranked" as highly as the best teams in the country.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: how do you propose they sort the teams out, then?

Mar 8, 2013, 3:01 AM

I just enjoy pointing out the flaws in the system without offering any solutions. With that being said, the Preseason strength of schedule is another faulty ranking methodology based on past performance. How do you know if a team is good in August?

Mar 8, 2013, 12:10 AM [ in reply to Re: I hate that expectations for Clemson Football will be so ]

You are right, but until we start beating the top teams, none of that matters.

has nothing to do with the BCS

Mar 8, 2013, 2:04 AM [ in reply to Re: I hate that expectations for Clemson Football will be so ]

and everything to do with pre-season rankings favoring teams who had good seasons the year before and who return a lot of players. Plus, you make it sound like just any team, no matter the schedule or pre-season rank, could've gotten into a national championship in the past. Surely that's an exaggeration.

Either way, I think we can all agree that, now and in the past, it's better to start the season off ranked highly than it is to have to work your way up and hope some other teams lose. This stuff about hating high expecations is just superstition.

Mar 7, 2013, 11:47 PM

I totally agree with you. All this talk scares me to death. There a ton of question marks regarding our team. Honestly, I can see us losing to UGA, So. Carolina, and posssibly to Maryland and/or NC. State. Right now we have no impact running backs. Is our offensive line really elite. Defense? Questions marks everywhere. Especially regarding linebacker and the secondary. Potentially, we lose 4 games. Hope I'm wrong.

Tell 'em coot

Mar 8, 2013, 12:22 AM

so you think USCheat will lose 4 games ?

"Potentially, we lose 4 games. Hope I'm wrong."

Mar 8, 2013, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: I hate that expectations for Clemson Football will be so ]

I'll bet you 100 bucks right now we don't lose to maryland put up or shut up?????????????

Don't worry about expectations

Mar 8, 2013, 12:46 AM

Because nobody outside your fanbase has high expectations for Clemson.I love reading this stuff it's pure comedy

I'm sure that's why some people are picking us pre-season #5

Mar 8, 2013, 2:00 AM

moron.

no way to get into the MNC if you have your way

Mar 8, 2013, 1:58 AM

eventually, to be a really great team, you're just going to have to deal with other people expecting us to be good. What you're saying sounds like something a fan of a very middle of the pack team would say.

The most important shift in thinking to me has been the

Mar 8, 2013, 6:01 AM

fact that we will approach games EXPECTING to win...rather than HOPING, which was our mindset for so many years beginning with the Danny Ford era. Equally important is a necessity to temper those expectations with the reality that great teams do lose on occasions so that we avoid the arrogance of believing we are "unsinkable." That makes each game important and eagerly awaited...and that, my Friends, is precisely what Dabo has preached.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

with talent and results comes expectations***

Mar 8, 2013, 6:47 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree...we're getting set up by the media...

Mar 8, 2013, 10:00 AM

...if and when a 1st loss hits the Tigers, they will drag out the "pullin' a Clemson" that we will be hearing until the last second of the bowl game.

I'd much rather be sitting in around 19 in the polls to keep some level heads on the team until about mid-season when they could be sitting at 10 and ready to make that final run.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

J. Marc Edwards
Cary, NC

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic