Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
WW2 Decals
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

WW2 Decals

Jul 14, 2017, 4:16 PM

Three years ago I was on an Honor Flight to Washington, DC, to visit the memorials for the various wars. At that time only WW2 veterans were eligible for the Flight. "WW2 --- I SERVED" decals were available and I picked up about 10 - 12. Returning home, I placed them in a safe place so I would not forget about them. My problem is forgetting where I've placed something and that's what happened to the decals. The other day, while searching for something else, I discovered the decals. Not wanting to hoard the decals any longer, I decided to offer them to any WW2 veteran residing here at Clemson Downs.

My daughter is Secretary of the Clemson Downs POA and maintains the email address of all residents on the internet. She sent out a message to all members offering a decal to any WW2 veteran desiring one. Within a few minutes she had a request from three veterans. We delivered the decals earlier this afternoon and were greeted by three spry mid-ninety year old gentlemen who were delighted to receive a decal.

For those of you who know, or, are aware of Col. Ben Skardon's WW2 story, today is his 100th. birthday celebration.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are the flights taking Korean War vets now?***

Jul 14, 2017, 4:18 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are the flights taking Korean War vets now?***

Jul 14, 2017, 4:40 PM

Yes. Korean War veterans are now eligible for the Honor Flight. If any of you know a WW2 or Korean War veteran who has not been on a previous flight, please encourage them to go. There is no cost to the veteran. It's a well organized tip with medical personnel available to assist those if a problem should arise. There are provisions even for those who require a wheel chair. Google "Honor Flight" for more details and nearest location for flight origination and dates, usually twice each year.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Went as a guardian at my expense (about $500)

Jul 14, 2017, 4:49 PM

back in 2012. I was a guardian for my dad and 3 other former sailors. One of the best days of my life. Yes, they have thought of everything that will be needed for these vets. Thanks for reminding me of that day.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They will also take Vietnam Vets if there is

Jul 14, 2017, 6:51 PM [ in reply to Are the flights taking Korean War vets now?*** ]

a special situation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They will also take Vietnam Vets if there is

Jul 15, 2017, 8:04 AM

I'm not special enough to take an older guy's place, but do want to go when Nam vets are the norm if the program lasts that long and hope that is early enough so we are more healthy than my dad was when he went.

Message was edited by: clover65®

Re: WW2 Decals

Jul 14, 2017, 4:42 PM

I have a 95yo uncle who is the oldest surviving Clemson baseball player-- He served on Gen McArthur's staff in the Pacific and retired as a Lt Col. He doesn't live in Clemson Downs, but the sticker would brighten his day.

We took my father in law several years ago. That is a

Jul 15, 2017, 8:19 AM

memorial that was way over due. But, that is just a testimony to that generation. We did our duty, came home, went to work living our lives. My father in law told me when he returned home on ship that he was looking forward to the crowds there to meet them. THERE WERE ABOUT # PEOPLE AT THE DOCKS! No more. 60 years later, he got his recognition.

That is great Joe, thank you so much for your service. Have

Jul 15, 2017, 10:56 AM

you been interviewed for the Veterans History Project for the Library of Congress? That is what I do down here in Charleston area as a volunteer out of the VA. Being a grad. of Clemson 1966, I would love to come up there and interview. It would be better to have a group, so I can interview several on the trip. I would love to get up there for one of the first games, so we could schedule then. This is a video interview, and I have over 30 into the Library of Congress so far. Just last week, I interviewed a 94 y.o. Clemson Alum. from McClenaville, who served in Anzio and St. Tropez d days.
In addition, could you find out from those other Clemson Vets, esp. Col. Skardon, if they are in the Library yet? Wish amazing Col. Skardon a happy belated birthday for me.
My Father was a Marine in Okinawa, and after WW2, when I was 2 in 1946, he went to Clemson on a GI bill, and we lived in a prefab on Cherry St., and he got our bunks from the old brick bldg.(Rotc storage) up the hill.
A uncle, another Clemson alum. was a fighter pilot in WW2. And my brother Barry was a helicopter pilot in Vietnam, unfortunately KIA in 1969.
Again, thanks so much, and if you can help and are interested thanks! If not, thanks anyway. Ron
P.S. I also volunteer with WW2 vets down here living in VA nursing home down here. They like to get out on outings and I like to help them.

Re: That is great Joe, thank you so much for your service. Have

Jul 15, 2017, 12:00 PM

TigerRon ---- Yes. I was interviewed several years ago and the interview is in the Library of Congress files. I was not on the front lines, however, the memories during the interview di produce some tears. It was an amazing experience, mainly, because I could recall some event I had long forgotten and can't even remember now. The mind is an amazing organ, it has its own momentary recall button. I suppose each one of us attempts to erase some event from our memory bank. Some have success and others are not able to do it. There are many veterans who live with their harrows of war and suffer mental and emotional problems. Some events are so ingrained they can never be erased. In spite of the problems many had to face, some of us can look back on these events and discover a bit of humor. Being scared was a normal reaction because we never knew what would happen in the next minute, hour or day. In retrospect, I have tried to focus on the comical aspect and the conditions that existed during that time. Some events I will never tell and I believe most veterans feel the same way.

Please pardon my straying from TigerRon's question.

Re: That is great Joe, thank you so much for your service. Have

Jul 15, 2017, 1:03 PM [ in reply to That is great Joe, thank you so much for your service. Have ]

Your family has certainly had impressive military service including yours with the VA. Sorry to learn you lost a brother in combat. There is not enough compensation for their sacrifice. Had an uncle and two cousins who served in WWII. One cousin from G'ville jumped with the 82nd on D-day, was captured
D-day+2 after landing in the middle of a German regiment and spent nine months as a POW in Dresden. Amazing he was able to survive the fire bombing there. Another cousin from Brevard NC died when his
B-17 caught fire over England while they were forming up with other groups for a bomb run to the Peenemunde rocket factory. He was the only crew member to not make it out of the plane. Was born in '47 so never got to meet him. Find myself thinking about them quite a bit.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic