Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
TNET: 2018 Tigers ranked No. 5 in ESPN 150 greatest teams
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

TNET: 2018 Tigers ranked No. 5 in ESPN 150 greatest teams

Sep 10, 2019, 10:54 AM

2018 Tigers ranked No. 5 in ESPN 150 greatest teams

Clemson's 2018 championship rings read 'Best Ever,' as do several banners around the Clemson football facilities. And while they are the only team to ever finis Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nebraska has fallen off the map***

Sep 10, 2019, 11:16 AM

Re: Nebraska has fallen off the map***

Sep 10, 2019, 11:57 PM

My question is this, Had Alabama beaten Clemson last January in the NATTY, and all the talking heads, like Finedumb, saying all season long that Alabama was the "greatest team of all time", Stephen A., "ALABAMA-ALABAMA-ALABAMA-ALABAMA-ALABAMA", and all the other ESPN "SEC" gurus proclaiming BAMA, "the best ever", would the 2018 BAMA not have been named the #1 best of all time? Why then if Clemson was 40ish points better than "the best team ever", are the 2018 TIGERS not the 'BEST TEAM EVER IN BY GOD AMERICA" ?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nebraska has fallen off the map***

Sep 10, 2019, 11:17 AM

Whoa Nellie, I recall 2018 Alabama was the greatest team of

Sep 10, 2019, 11:27 AM

ALL TIME!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Re: Whoa Nellie, I recall 2018 Alabama was the greatest team of

Sep 10, 2019, 11:33 AM

I found them! Alert the media

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

87. 2018 Alabama (14-1)
Titles: None (lost to Clemson in CFP National Championship)
Coach: Nick Saban
Led by: QB Tua Tagovailoa, WR Jerry Jeudy, S Deionte Thompson, OT Jonah Williams, DT Quinnen Williams
What to know: The Tide won its first 12 games by at least 22 points and beat five ranked teams, including a 29-0 road win over No. 4 LSU. Bama beat No. 4 Georgia 35-28 for the SEC title, followed by a 45-31 win over Oklahoma in the College Football Playoff semifinals, before getting crushed by Clemson, 44-16, in the CFP National Championship.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Dude abides

Actually no one ever said that.***

Sep 10, 2019, 2:06 PM [ in reply to Whoa Nellie, I recall 2018 Alabama was the greatest team of ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: TNET: 2018 Tigers ranked No. 5 in ESPN 150 greatest teams

Sep 10, 2019, 11:28 AM

15-0!! Smoked the Best Teams in the playoffs. I like nostalgia but those old teams did not have such a challenge. ESPN is made up of fools.

Come on. Some of those teams would've gone 15-0 as well had

Sep 10, 2019, 2:19 PM

they gotten the opportunity. I watched 1995 Nebraska and that's still the best team I've seen in my lifetime. They steamrolled everyone including multiple highly ranked teams during the regular season and then capped it off with a beat down of #2 Florida that was so bad it made our 44-16 win over Bama look tame.

2004 USC was fantastic too. All of the offensive firepower from the 2005 team but with a better defense.

2004 USC has to be a joke

Sep 10, 2019, 3:30 PM

They had to vacate the last two wins for NCAA violations. Also the whole 2005 season.

The best Clemson team of all-time was the 2015 team...

Sep 10, 2019, 11:50 AM

...and I'll never be convinced otherwise. That team blew everyone out and gave away the national championship game (with the help of some terrible luck and an onside kick). Absolutely dominant.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nah... defense faded down the stretch. I don't know if it was a lack

Sep 10, 2019, 2:21 PM

of depth or lack of focus but that team got into too many shootouts late in the year and couldn't put away a game defensively.

Oklahoma clearly did not want to be there...

Sep 10, 2019, 1:19 PM

They were dehydrated, the only team that day to play in the hot hurricane, and Nebraska ran 50/50 balls (left or right) that were copy cat plays. Nebraska is lucky Oklahoma took their foot off the gas when they were down.

They were not that much better than them, if at all.

Am I doing it right?

Sep 10, 2019, 1:24 PM

Ummm. I'd call this CBV rhetoric. First, it was easy to hold hapless opponents to 7 or fewer on defense in 71. If CBV was stupid and played all starters every game all game, we may have held opponents to less than 3 pts per game. Polls back then were a joke... And I'm sorry 1981 team has to be higher than 87. Look at the teams they beat.

This is a complete farce. No way in haddies 2018 wasn't the best ever. We know it, and recruits know and that's all that matters.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They were arguably the best. A case can be

Sep 10, 2019, 2:05 PM

made for many teams.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know this will cause a lot of butt hurt on here

Sep 10, 2019, 2:08 PM

but #5 is very good.

Actually it's impossible to actually know who the best is.

Re: I know this will cause a lot of butt hurt on here

Sep 10, 2019, 2:34 PM

No butt hurt here. 15-0 and curb stomped what most experts had already annointed as the best ever in Bama... I'd say that says it all no matter what your affiliation is.

All I'm saying is for me it's clear. 2018 is the best, 2nd is 2016, and 3rd is 1981. Put all the other teams against any of those three teams and it's no doubt who would win.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 10, 2019, 5:26 PM [ in reply to I know this will cause a lot of butt hurt on here ]

This is a true statement, these were all phenomenal teams. Really splitting hairs.

Yes, the game has changed significantly. Changes in offense, defense, player's physical abilities, recruiting. Roster sizes, nutrition, equipment, all play a part.

Line them up against each other, and I definitely like out 2018 team to beat any of them.

However, all you can do, and what I think was attempted, is to rate each team against their opponents for that particular year.

Just look how far down the list you have to go to find a one loss team. Think of the NFL talent on some of these rosters.

This is just a fun excessive, and creates a ton of clicks, and conversation.

Too bad they stopped at 150. I wonder how far you would have to go to find a team from UofSC?

Sep 10, 2019, 7:42 PM [ in reply to I know this will cause a lot of butt hurt on here ]

Best ever to play 15 games.

Sep 10, 2019, 4:41 PM

They know we were the best and they know we took their very words about Alabama beat them 44-16(could have been 62-16) Dabo had mercy on them big time. They put this out because it hurts the SEC hype that all football fans knew we were the Best Ever. They do everything they can to try to stop us from being the best ever, but it’s too late the Clemson Dynasty is in full force consistently getting better than every year and their isn’t an end in sight. Period!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Sep 10, 2019, 5:19 PM

My problem with this is we smoked the team that was ranked as the best ever by most of the media. This includes computer rankings and claimed them to be the most dominant team ever.

I think the team that showed up in the playoffs would have beaten any of the teams on the list.

The close gamedneith aTm and Cuse last year is the only negative that can be held against us.

If we blow everyone out and go undefeated and our closes game was a 14 point win against #12 aTm then we probably have a chance of being the best team ever.

It is so hard to compare teams of.different eras though.

Pretty good.

Sep 10, 2019, 5:23 PM

ESPN's only four off.

South Carolina is all over that list

Sep 10, 2019, 5:27 PM

at the end of phrases like "took down #15 South Carolina", "defeated #18 South Carolina " and "crushed #20 South Carolina "

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

None of the others listed ever had to go thru a playoff ...

Sep 10, 2019, 8:22 PM

None of them went 15-0.

None of them dominated two undefeated teams in a row to get to 15-0.

I’d call this list “Blue Blood” bias. It’s based more on the overall tradition of the teams chosen than the actual comparative strength of the specific teams selected.

Lists like this are BS anyway. But, if you’re going to attempt to formulate such a ranking, at least make it appear legitimate and unbiased.

Some of them certainly could have

Sep 10, 2019, 8:32 PM

Look at 1995 Nebraskas wins.

#8 Kansas St by 24
#9 Colorado by 23
#10 Kansas by 38
#2 Florida by 38

Their closest game was 14 points. All other wins were by at least 23. Their lowest point total of the season (35) was still higher than the most points they allowed in any game (28) There was no 2 pt win against A&M or 4 point win against Syracuse. They just annihilated everyone. If that team played a 15 game schedule they just would've blown out 3 more teams.

I think our 2018 team is in the discussion for best ever and I think just being in that discussion is an amazing accomplishment in itself. There's zero reason to be upset with top 5 here.

Re: Some of them certainly could have

Sep 11, 2019, 8:11 AM

Okay, point taken. Just glad we’re not using guys like Lawrence Phillips to win games. He should have been suspended.

I don’t know man. The 3 schools with arguably the best

Sep 10, 2019, 8:54 PM [ in reply to None of the others listed ever had to go thru a playoff ... ]

overall tradition, ND, Michigan, and Bama didn’t crack the list until #8. Like you say, though, Lists like this don’t mean much, but think it’s a great compliment to be chosen #5, ALL TIME! Should we be higher? Arguably.

Re: I don’t know man. The 3 schools with arguably the best

Sep 11, 2019, 8:22 AM

I totally agree that #5 is not bad.

But, I do think that going 15-0 while meeting and demolishing a couple of undefeated teams away from home at the end is an challenge no other team had to face.

Maybe the others would have won three more progressively harder games after they went 12-0. Who knows?

I do know that 2018 Clemson actually did it.

That '71 Nebraska team was sick!

Sep 10, 2019, 9:01 PM [ in reply to None of the others listed ever had to go thru a playoff ... ]

Beat 2, 3, and 4. I remember watching the Nebraska v OU, then the Bama v Auburn games...all four undefeated. Then Nebraska and OU dismantled the SEC reps in their respective bowl games. A complete and total dismantling...which pained me at the time as a die-hard Bama fan. By '73, and a frosh at Clemson...I was over it! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That '71 Nebraska team was sick!

Sep 11, 2019, 8:15 AM

Wasn’t that the loss that pushed Bear Bryant to begin using the triple option? He saw what it would take to be competitive again.

Also, one of the games that convinced him to use

Sep 11, 2019, 9:34 AM

black players.

Sep 11, 2019, 10:21 AM

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic