Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Furman, Francis Marion - poorly located in their area
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Furman, Francis Marion - poorly located in their area

May 28, 2020, 2:08 PM

In my opinion any urban university is best nestled near the city's central business district. Not necessarily in downtown, but an adjacent neighborhood. The 5 miles between Furman and Greenville may as well be 50. I think Wofford is much better placed. Others schools, like Francis Marion, seem out of place to me. What do you think?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Francis Marion always seems out of place***

May 28, 2020, 2:14 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

quite possibly...

May 28, 2020, 4:28 PM

poty

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

I think he is rewording a little. Did he mean Francis Marion

May 28, 2020, 5:49 PM

has some places that seem poorly located?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Francis Marion is DEFINITELY not just poorly located.

May 28, 2020, 2:18 PM

But lots of him are DISlocated.

Re: Francis Marion is DEFINITELY not just poorly located.

May 28, 2020, 11:25 PM

Whoa - we talking sex change here? I missed that memo.

Western Carolina is kind of out of place.***

May 28, 2020, 2:20 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: Western Carolina is kind of out of place.***

May 28, 2020, 4:28 PM

But very beautiful

Re: Furman, Francis Marion - poorly located in their area

May 28, 2020, 2:25 PM

Florence is just sprawl. Glad FM is where it is. Traffic is bad enough.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2020, 2:36 PM

I think they all need to be outside of any city limits to prevent being landlocked. See USuC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No personal attacks. Final warning.***

May 28, 2020, 2:49 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: No personal attacks. Final warning.***

May 28, 2020, 2:50 PM

????

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

You said that last time jackwagon***

May 28, 2020, 3:02 PM [ in reply to No personal attacks. Final warning.*** ]

The last person I said that to was....

May 28, 2020, 3:44 PM

RenegadeTiger®, and no one’s heard from him for months.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Also...

May 28, 2020, 3:47 PM [ in reply to You said that last time jackwagon*** ]

@ Crump
@ B-Meist

This is the guy we discussed earlier today. Time to take out the garbage.

Re: Also...

May 28, 2020, 4:30 PM

guy?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

No personal attacks***

May 28, 2020, 5:02 PM [ in reply to Also... ]

where exactly are you located??

May 28, 2020, 4:29 PM [ in reply to No personal attacks. Final warning.*** ]

asking for bob

May 28, 2020, 4:18 PM

I'm not sure I agree with you.

Some city center schools make it work, but the ones that come to my mind don't. South Carolina is in the middle of Columbia. Ga Tech is in the middle of Atlanta and there isn't much I like about the GT campus or location. Tennessee is in the middle of Knoxville and I don't like that campus at all.

Furman was once in downtown Greenville and moved to their new campus in the late 50s or early 60s. Their campus looks terrific to me, has an adjacent golf course and fews like a nice enclave to me.

I'm really glad Clemson is not in Greenville or Anderson.

On the other hand, Texas works well in downtown Austin.

UNC Charlotte is out on the edge of town and has had plenty of room to grow in the last 50 years. These days they also have a light rail that gives every student a free ride to downtown and Southend of
Charlotte.

So I see both positive and negative opportunities.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 28, 2020, 4:25 PM

Didn’t Furman used to be downtown, then moved to where it is.

May 28, 2020, 4:56 PM

Furman was near downtown Greenville. Greenville High School now plays at Sirrine Stadium was was used by Furman before they moved to the new Paladin Stadium.

May 28, 2020, 6:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Furman, Francis Marion - poorly located in their area ]

The original Furman campus was across August St from G'ville High School. G'ville county offices now occupy a large part of the old campus. The current street names University St and Furman College Way signify what was once there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

May 28, 2020, 6:15 PM

Furman was downtown until their new campus was built in the 1950s.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They should have foreseen that 194 years ago

May 28, 2020, 7:07 PM

Gville was surely bustling in 1826. Idiots... Better late than never. They should go ahead and move. Of course, Traveler's Rest is pretty up and coming lately.
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/34.9256814,-82.4331416/34.8564575,-82.396599/@34.8571171,-82.399559,15.75z/data=!4m2!4m1!3e0

May 28, 2020, 11:28 PM

I grew up close enough to Furman to ride my bicycle there and use their gym equipment. We did that often and I always loved the Furman campus. That was in the 50's and early 60's though. I wanted to attend Furman and live at home, but the tuition was so high, I could only afford CLEMSON. I guess I got lucky being poor.

May 29, 2020, 9:38 AM

I’ve heard for more than a decade usc is trash for being in downtown Columbia.

But I agree with you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Furman is in a great location.

May 29, 2020, 10:39 AM

Travelers Rest is a great town, and right next to Furman's campus. Downtown Greenville is only 10 minutes or so away. Plus you have the Swamp Rabbit Trail running right through Furman's campus.

I'm curious to hear your thoughts on Clemson, since it's a quintessential college town. It used to be considered rural, and is now classified as suburban, but it still 20 minutes to Anderson and 45 minutes to Greenville.

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

May 29, 2020, 10:51 AM

Furman and urban don't belong in the same sentence. That beautiful campus helps them maintain their aloofness!

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic