Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Old Goal Posts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Old Goal Posts

Sep 6, 2015, 8:59 PM

Since the injury to Mike Williams has seemingly been the result of him colliding with that large square base we should try to resolve that problem. It occurs to me that without taking a poll the vast majority of Tigernet members would agree that the old traditional round goal posts, well padded, would be much safer than the present system. The feature that lowers the goal post to the ground at the end of the game has outlived it's usefulness. If enough Tigernet members agree with me, we could test the collective power of the forum to see if we could cause the "powers that be" to revert to the "Old Goal Posts" and prevent these devastating injuries.

I would propose that someone that knows their way around the forum take this project or "cause" and petition the right people to get the ball rolling. I don't know anyone personally, but I would think "Hartins" would do a great job. We just need to get the attention of the right people.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They should be underground and only come up in kicking situations. ***

Sep 6, 2015, 9:05 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

My God, that is a brilliant idea***

Sep 6, 2015, 9:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They should be underground and only come up in kicking situations. ***

Sep 6, 2015, 9:16 PM [ in reply to They should be underground and only come up in kicking situations. *** ]

^^^^this!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great idea - but the NCAA would probably have to approve

Sep 6, 2015, 10:05 PM [ in reply to They should be underground and only come up in kicking situations. *** ]

and that would take some bureaucratic time. For a quick fix, triple the padding and ROUND it off. It will be much easier to slide off a round "edge" than a square one.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They should be underground and only come up in kicking situations. ***

Sep 6, 2015, 10:28 PM [ in reply to They should be underground and only come up in kicking situations. *** ]

There should be bars that extend off the top of the uprights and attach to the upper deck. That way the uprights are floating without the center bar.

Re: Old Goal Posts

Sep 6, 2015, 9:38 PM

When they put in the collapsible goal post, didn't someone get seriously injured from tearing down the fixed post? It was at Clemson or some where else, I don't really remember.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Back in the day they were on the front goal line. What was

Sep 6, 2015, 9:48 PM

it like then.

Re: Back in the day they were on the front goal line. What was

Sep 6, 2015, 10:10 PM

NFL only? They moved them back for safety?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

According to Adam Sandler...

Sep 7, 2015, 9:31 AM [ in reply to Back in the day they were on the front goal line. What was ]

In 1974, the uprights were right on the goal line
But some of the players were running into them
And getting hurt
So screw the kicker
Who cares about the kicker?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhvLjE8ZWl8

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

How about ejecting the Wofford player that pushed him in to it?***

Sep 6, 2015, 10:08 PM

Re: How about ejecting the Wofford player that pushed him in to it?***

Sep 6, 2015, 10:19 PM

The kid was trying to make a play!Don't think it was intentional!I
have heard that argument ,but I don't buy it!

Eject him for what? Kid did what any other DB would do.***

Sep 6, 2015, 10:50 PM [ in reply to How about ejecting the Wofford player that pushed him in to it?*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

Re: Eject him for what? Kid did what any other DB would do.***

Sep 6, 2015, 11:16 PM

This goal post injury, reminded me how insanely dangerous arena football is. I mean the whole darn field is padded barriers waiting for an akward landing or mistimed tackle that causes a crushing spinal injury.

Are we gonna overlook that the ball was overthrown...

Sep 6, 2015, 10:20 PM

Mike did an incredible job of fielding that ball that was too high and too far back on the goal line. Had Deshaun put that ball several yards in front of the goal post and in front of Mike, he would have harmlessly ran right past the goal post.

I feel horrible for Mike who is being punished for making a great play, but I'm glad he is okay.

I don't think we should blame the goalpost. It is easiest to blame the Wofford pusher but Deshaun also deserves part of the blame... he threw an unnecessarily high ball for that far back in the endzone.

Bottom Line... this was a freak injury that will probably NEVER happen again regardless of field goal post changes....

Let's just hope Mike gets back healthy and this doesn't set his promising career back.

Are you being serious?***

Sep 6, 2015, 10:28 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Are we gonna overlook that the ball was overthrown...

Sep 6, 2015, 10:40 PM [ in reply to Are we gonna overlook that the ball was overthrown... ]

djosie13, You have completely missed the point. No one can control what the players do or don't do. We can only try to make the environment safer.

I don't think I missed the point....

Sep 6, 2015, 10:43 PM

I just think this incident was so isolated and "freakish" in nature that it will never happen again. Why should we change the field goal posts because of it. I think sometimes when people get hurt, we look to blame everything around the incident instead of accepting that the incident happened and moving on.

I just don't think the field goal posts contributed to the injury anymore than the push or the throw...

That's my opinion... disagree if you may

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic