Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
And here we go
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 564

And here we go

Jun 17, 2020, 8:14 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good for them. ghana let the country know what a POS

Jun 17, 2020, 8:21 PM

buttons is

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Imo, they are making a mistake.

Jun 17, 2020, 8:31 PM

This is the perfect time for the PD to shine by holding their heads up, doing their jobs as assigned and protecting the innocent people of ATL of all colors.

I'm just as sick as them about the horrid, overblown charges but the innocent poor folks will suffer. I fear all the active PD will be assigned to the higher income communities where crime is limited and the high crime areas will become killing fields.

I Want to see the mayor and DA punished too but this won't bother him the tiniest bit.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Imo, they are making a mistake.

Jun 17, 2020, 8:38 PM

FYI NYPD won’t quit because of pension.***

Jun 17, 2020, 8:55 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Imo, they are making a mistake.

Jun 17, 2020, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Imo, they are making a mistake. ]

Would YOU walk a mile in their shoes right now? Seriously...would you?

They're being treated just like the military was on their return from Nam in the 60's. It was enough those poor men suffered PTSD from their time overseas...then suffer again at home.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nope, I'm done. eff them all. do not work for those racist

Jun 17, 2020, 8:40 PM [ in reply to Imo, they are making a mistake. ]

pieces of idiot dog manure.

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

they can't do their jobs...

Jun 17, 2020, 9:43 PM [ in reply to Imo, they are making a mistake. ]

hard to shine

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a bit of a stretch. If "not being allowed to shoot

Jun 17, 2020, 10:06 PM

unarmed (yeah, yeah, taser) people in the back as they run away" is not being allowed to do your job, then we need to reread or rewrite what a police officer's job description actually is.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It’s crazy how many more threads we’ve had on this

Jun 17, 2020, 10:10 PM

than Breonna Taylor. Posters coming out of months long sabbaticals to chime in.

Haven’t seen any officers resigning in protest of the lack of charges there.

interesting connection***

Jun 17, 2020, 10:11 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't we pretty much all agree on that one?

Jun 17, 2020, 10:12 PM [ in reply to It’s crazy how many more threads we’ve had on this ]

The fact that we’re arguing over which police killing is

Jun 17, 2020, 10:13 PM

kind of the whole point.

IKR

Jun 17, 2020, 10:16 PM

In a country where hundreds of thousands of arrests have been made this year, we have threes and fours of these type cases to discuss. They should get their own board there are so many

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A little disingenuous as we’re talking about the subset of

Jun 17, 2020, 10:18 PM

shootings or killings caught on camera. Officers listed no injuries in Breonna Taylor’s report. They’re still walking.

What do you think is happening when the cameras are off?

I'm gonna guess the sample results hold steady to ones

Jun 17, 2020, 10:21 PM

that are on-camera. So maybe three or four more.

No need to rehash the whole debate we've all been having, but let's just say I am a long, long ways away from considering cop murders, of any race suspect, to be an epidemic.

Cops abusing their power in general in non-lethal fashion? Let's talk and we'll probably end up high-fiving.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

3 or 4? Out of thousands?

Jun 17, 2020, 10:26 PM

But I agree with you on the second point. Much like language saying “Defund” it’s meant to be in your face. To get a bit of a reaction. Most protest is.

We have an issue with overzealous aswhole cops in this country. Much like priests, they get whispered about and moved from town to town. That on its own is worth a discussion about changing the whole paradigm around law enforcement.

Couple that with the racism that it’s disingenuous to deny and it’s a big problem.

The killings are the top of the iceberg.

Much like in bad neighborhoods, snitches get stitches in law enforcement.

OP seems to be about APD reaction to the Brooks incident...

Jun 17, 2020, 10:23 PM [ in reply to A little disingenuous as we’re talking about the subset of ]

and the DA press conference today. I don't recall cops waking off the job over George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, or the Arbery case.

I suppose we can start a new thread though.

Re: The fact that we’re arguing over which police killing is

Jun 17, 2020, 10:16 PM [ in reply to The fact that we’re arguing over which police killing is ]

Do you understand why the Arbery case is so problematic?

Jun 17, 2020, 10:19 PM

Without that video, those guys walk.

Floyd was undoubtedly cut and dried.

Jun 17, 2020, 10:13 PM [ in reply to That's a bit of a stretch. If "not being allowed to shoot ]

Second-guessing their actions in this one though is 100% Monday morning quarterbacking, and you know that too, especially as it pertains to a murder charge.

I'm not one to put cops up on a pedestal, I've run into some rotten ones too in my life, but I'm guessing 95% of us would have done the same in a split second scenario like that.

I'm pretty sure they overcharged in this case, cop will

be acquitted, protests and riots will happen (next year or whenever). Rinse, Repeat. The problem in many of these cases is when a suspect resists, or worse, strikes an officer, they take it as a personal affront and immediately move to max reaction, i.e., deadly force. Yeah, easy to QB from here, but if half these guys are bloodlusty cowboys going into the force, and don't have the temperament to diffuse situations. If reflexes take over, and those reflexes dictate that you must stop an unarmed suspect from escaping by all means possible, then you're probably not fit to be a non-murdering cop. And, like my thread earlier, I'm positing all of this independent of race, but mix that in and it's just jet fuel on an already burning building.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

its always easy to judge from the couch. Those arent nerf

Jun 17, 2020, 11:11 PM

bullets that are bing shot around. Pretty sure when some fears for his life he’ll try and protect it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's a bit of a stretch. If "not being allowed to shoot

Jun 17, 2020, 10:42 PM [ in reply to That's a bit of a stretch. If "not being allowed to shoot ]

"not being allowed to shoot unarmed (yeah, yeah, taser) people in the back as they run away" seems to be tainted by personal opinion.

I am troubled Brooks was shot in the back. But Brooks is no longer running away once he decided to turn and fire the taser at the officer. Yeah, yeah taser...the same taser that got police officers fired a week before because it's use was considered deadly force when they used it on college students.

The officer in this incidence followed his training. Whether that is right or wrong is certainly debatable. Law enforcement will certainly be forced to re-evaluate their training in the days ahead. I have no expertise in this area so I'll let the experts determine how to do this.

As far as my stretch of a statement about not being able to do their job, if I'm a cop and know that I cannot defend myself against a black perpetrator (which I would conclude at the complete overblown reaction to Brooks and the ridiculous charges brought against these officers), I would think really hard about going in.

They are being asked to put themselves in a position where

Jun 17, 2020, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Imo, they are making a mistake. ]

they are looking at serious jail time if they follow their training and procedures. They are being vilified by politicians for political gain. I would have walked away for far less.

Imagine having a family to feed and heading out for your shift in that environment. No way.

null

Again...training and procedures say to shoot a person in the

Jun 17, 2020, 10:13 PM

back as they're running away? Oh, wait, he has a taser! A non-lethal weapon that is immediately out of range as the suspect retreats...until you pursue and put yourself back in range of said non-lethal "weapon", which didn't work, and would not work again (after two deployments), so THEN your training tells you to shoot the man in the back?

Then we need to reevaluate the training manuals, and retrain LEO. They had his car and his license.

Let's ponder this for a sec....guy fighting you. clearly

doesn't want to be taken in. On substances known and unknown.

That guy turns and points something at you, and your brain (I don't care how well trained) can say in a millisecond "nope taser, out of shots, out of range, hold fire). That's robocop level processing.

I get that. I do. But if there are no other firearms in the

Jun 17, 2020, 10:25 PM

engagement besides your own police issued piece, which is still in your possession, actually discharging the weapon should be so rare that it's national news when it happens. It's ridiculously common though, and the ones that result in deaths (the ones caught on camera, anyway) are the ones that make national headlines. Police training needs to be overhauled, and the makeup of LEOs needs to be overhauled, too.

I'm not an expert on psychology or LEO training, but I

Jun 17, 2020, 10:29 PM

cannot imagine training a mind that valued self-preservation to make the decision you just described correctly more than 50% of the time in a case like this.

If I'm right, and I don't think I'm far off, do you want to work in a job where the difference between you getting a commendation or a murder charge is a coin toss?

One other question........I haven't watched the entire

Jun 17, 2020, 10:34 PM [ in reply to I get that. I do. But if there are no other firearms in the ]

arrest process on video....just saw the initial contact and final breakaway.

Had they already patted him down to know he had no gun? Maybe they had but I thought that usually occurred post-cuffing.

Re: One other question........I haven't watched the entire

Jun 17, 2020, 10:40 PM

Yes that’s right.

Jun 17, 2020, 10:23 PM [ in reply to Again...training and procedures say to shoot a person in the ]

And I agree with you. If that’s unacceptable, change the training and the policies. By, say, day 7 of the academy, make sure they know that if you are attacked by someone, and they get a taser and point it at you...you take that tasing. You sit on the street incapacitated. Chances are he will keep running so just lie there until you can move again. Or we will lock you up.

I’m all for transparency. Should work out fine.

null

That's just dumb.

Jun 17, 2020, 10:30 PM

The guy was fleeing. You're trying to justify killing him with the ridiculous binary assertion that the only other option to shooting him in the back is to "just lie there and take the tasing". I'm sure his partner would have stood by and explained to the suspect how to use the taser.

During his flee he turned and fired at the cop.***

Jun 17, 2020, 11:14 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Fired" a non-lethal "weapon", AND, he missed, and

Jun 17, 2020, 11:50 PM

the "weapon" couldn't be "fired" again, and he subsequently got shot. And yes, we've reviewed that all of this happened in seconds and would be difficult to process for most humans.

The partner wouldn’t have to explain how to use a taser

Jun 18, 2020, 12:02 AM [ in reply to That's just dumb. ]

Since the guy had already used it on him.

That according to his lawyer:
https://mobile.twitter.com/DavidBegnaud/status/1273434574094086145

You like my binary way of thinking? I like your Hollywood sensibilities. Why didn’t the cop just blind him by reflecting the light from a nearby streetlight into his eyes? Why didn’t he just time a perfect jump out of the way when the guy fired? Has he ever even seen Dodgeball? Why didn’t he just say the perfect thing to confuse the guy, throw his badge at his hand to knock the taser out of it and say “Now that’s why I call shocking!”?

The other officer claims to have been tased, was limping and disoriented.

null

Seattle has taught us that you don't need the police

Jun 17, 2020, 8:44 PM

just turn the station into a community center and use the money that was funding the police to fund things like housing and food

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They don’t need police. Just an armed group that protects

Jun 17, 2020, 9:14 PM

CHAZ, keeps order, maintains the border, and is constantly on the look out for white supremacists, and other unsavory groups (profiling).

But no, they don’t need police.

LOL.

Replies: 37
| visibility 564
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic