Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So the ESPN folks agreed on 2 things that can’t both be true
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 30
| visibility 1

So the ESPN folks agreed on 2 things that can’t both be true

Nov 6, 2018, 9:57 PM

They said:
1) All of the top 5 control their own destiny
-and-
2) Alabama is in even if they lose the SECCG to UGA

I don’t think they understand that only 4 teams can go, because those things can’t both be true.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good thing they don’t write code***

Nov 6, 2018, 9:59 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They are stuck in a do-nothing loop***

Nov 7, 2018, 7:34 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NO Way! Tradition Rich $$$$$

Nov 7, 2018, 9:59 PM

Notre Dame and Michigan would in no way shape or form be left out if they win the rest of their games. Clemson would in no way shape or form be left out "WHEN" we win the rest of our games!

Too much power and influence would be "agitated and peeved"! Last year was solely b/c Wisconsin lost late! Also, for this arguments sake remember that! You had what appeared the best team in the Big 10 up until that game lose in the CG; you didn't allow them in. The Big 10 has a Huge - HUGE TV market! What's the TV market for Alabama outside the state of Alabama? Growing b/c of the bandwagon fans; but nothing like Michigan or Notre Dame!

I could see them leaving out UGA <------- yeah, I said Georgia! Why HRT? B/C they would have had the worse loss to a team ranked farther back(LSU) and b/c they got Curb Stomped in losing!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NO Way! Tradition Rich $$$$$

Nov 7, 2018, 10:50 PM

Sorry, I said this a few days ago.
If UGA beats Bama in the SECCG. And everyone else wins out. Michigan will be left out. Or they could possibly leave out ND. They're reasoning for that could be. ND doesn't play in a CCG. But Clemson, UGA, & Bama are in. No exceptions....I don't care about any TV market. They have said from the beginning, the 4 best teams are in. End of story. Only way Bama gets left out, is if UGA curb stomps them in the SECCG. I don't like it either, and I don't agree with it. But they've always said the same thing.

Go Tigers

Re: NO Way! Tradition Rich $$$$$

Nov 7, 2018, 11:11 PM

Michigan will not get left out. You are dreaming

Re: Good thing they don’t write code***

Nov 7, 2018, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Good thing they don’t write code*** ]

Bama must have a GOTO the top four every other statement!

CFP committee uses fast computers

Nov 7, 2018, 9:22 PM [ in reply to Good thing they don’t write code*** ]

Can do an infinite loop in 3 minutes

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

The thought the Bama could be left out is inconceivable

Nov 6, 2018, 10:01 PM

Not that they need to worry because UGA will not beat them and Either Mich or ND will slip up before it's all said and done

if Michigan and ND don’t slip up and Ugay beats

Nov 6, 2018, 10:05 PM

Bama, can you imagine the fallout?

Last year I can forgive since Oh St got walloped. But a 1 loss Michigan who’s only loss is first game of season to an undefeated Notre Dame.

Would be epic to see the fallout.

They corrected Pollack. They are absolutely right. 5 teams control their own destiny

Nov 6, 2018, 10:02 PM

If Clemson, ND, and Michigan win out, they are in.

The winner of 'Bama vs Georgia is in. The loser is out, if the other three teams win out.

The bottom line is these teams have the best resume so far, and all of them have ranked teams left on their schedule to bolster their resume.

I agree with you

Nov 6, 2018, 10:09 PM

But pollack was actually the one coming closest to pointing out their error. Herbie and company kept repeating those two things I mentioned, and they are logically impossible to reconcile. If Bama is in even losing against UGA then at least one of the other 4 teams doesn’t control its destiny.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So the ESPN folks agreed on 2 things that can’t both be true

Nov 6, 2018, 10:03 PM

Nobody knows what they're talking about...not even the committee. For heaven's sake, the chairman of the committee couldn't even get the Notre Dame QB's name right in his interview. This whole charade is a waste of time. Just win, baby.

When the committee put Bama in last year

Nov 6, 2018, 10:09 PM

They lost all credibility.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

They have never had mine.

Nov 6, 2018, 10:21 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: When the committee put Bama in last year

Nov 6, 2018, 11:00 PM [ in reply to When the committee put Bama in last year ]

I believe over half the committee members who made that decision rotated off.

This year's committee will establish their own interpretation of "the best four teams in college football".

In other words, this year's committee is free to chart their own incomprehensible course, free of obligations to last year's capricious debacle.

Nov 6, 2018, 11:54 PM [ in reply to When the committee put Bama in last year ]

But Bama beat us. Bama was one loss. We were one loss.

Nov 7, 2018, 1:53 AM [ in reply to When the committee put Bama in last year ]

That makes no sense because Bama won the title. How can you say they lost credibility by putting in a team that clearly was o e of the 4 best teams in the country since that team won? The goal is to get the 4 best teams into the playoffs, plain and simple. Mission accomplished.

Nov 7, 2018, 6:59 AM

It actually makes sense to me. Bama had an unfair advantage. They had an extra week to heal and to rest, and they had an extra game from their opponent to scout and study. While Clemson was playing a championship game they were sitting back relaxing and figuring out Clemson's weaknesses.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So true.... and if ND gets in

Nov 7, 2018, 7:19 AM

They will have the same unfair advantage. Get to rest and prepare.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Shhhh... You'll upset the Bama sycophants....***

Nov 7, 2018, 7:19 AM [ in reply to Re: When the committee put Bama in last year ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2018, 11:18 AM [ in reply to Re: When the committee put Bama in last year ]

Both teams had a month+ to heal. That extra week doesn’t matter. And one additional game doesn’t matter. I’m just saying I understand the committee’s thought process.

Now, if they put in a team like UCF and then UCF gets smoked 60-0 in the first round, then they’ve lost credibility because that was a stupid decision.

Nov 7, 2018, 9:02 PM

We all understand their thought process.

That doesn't make it the best one.

Sure, they look like geniuses in hindsight, but if either Auburn or WIS had won their CCGs Bama would have been left out in spite of everyone believing they were one of the top 4 teams, because they hadn't proved it when it mattered.

But when Auburn and Wis both lost and DQed themselves, there were only 3 eligible teams left for a 4-team playoff. So they had to reevaluate which DQed team was most deserving of reconsideration. That's the only reason an at-large team made it. No at-large team has ever been taken above a one-loss power 5 champion, but the talkers are trying to set that up this year just in case.

I think Auburn is more pissed at last year's outcome than anybody. Not for getting left out, but because their victory in the Iron Bowl should have kept Bama home.

As we agree, Bama took advantage of their handout. But the only reason they were invited to participate is that you need 4 teams. Only 3 met the previous conditions of acceptance.

Nov 7, 2018, 9:39 PM

All teams are ‘at large’. There are not automatic qualifiers in this system.

Nov 8, 2018, 7:23 AM

True.

But if the committee is free to disregard the established guidelines--the written ones, not just the prior 3 years eorth of tradition--than we traded a flawed system for a very flawed system.

For years 62 voters chose the National Champion. Now, if there are no established guidelines, 15 voters get to choose the 4 participants in a playoff. If the voters consider non-champions over deserving champions or worthy undefeated teams (Power 5), they are taking a major step toward dismantling their own system.

Does anyone want a seven game season? Let game #8 begin the playoffs. If you lose, you're done. That's the ultimate path we're headed for, if we can't trust a selection committee to make responsible and judicious selection decisions.

If it's going to perpetually become the Bama invitational regardless of their losses, just call it that.

Nov 6, 2018, 10:25 PM

Even if UGA beats Bama it would be a fluke and Bama would still be a top 4 team.
But it would be BS like last year for them to get in coming off a loss.

Nov 6, 2018, 11:55 PM

Why does it matter what week the loss was in?

Later games are generally more accurate than earlier ones.***

Nov 7, 2018, 7:22 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2018, 8:18 AM

The Committee is and has always been in ESecPN’s pocket...

...”yes sir, Reese. Thank you very much Mr. Reese.” “We’ll get right on it.”

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like they need to run for office.***

Nov 7, 2018, 9:06 PM

They don't consider THUGA in the top five...

Nov 7, 2018, 9:56 PM

Put Ohio State at #5 and both statements are true.

Replies: 30
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic