Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Directv vs Comcast
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Directv vs Comcast

Dec 26, 2017, 12:43 AM

I am a Comcast Xfinity customer and wondering why so many in here like directv.
I get all HD channels in 4 rooms, voice remote control, recordable cable boxes, tons on free movies on demand , Stars, Cinemax, Internet, one phone line all for less than $200 per month.
We can play pandora, YouTube and honestly things I don’t even know about yet on any tv in the house.

What does directv do that my Comcast cannot do? And what is your price?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Directv vs Comcast

Dec 26, 2017, 12:53 AM

Get fire tv for 60$ one tone and never pay again

Dec 27, 2017, 6:17 AM

You still need to pay for internet service with a fire stick.

I have Comcast, my parents have DirectTV. I think we are

Dec 26, 2017, 1:16 AM

each satisfied with our own product. The main difference is price I think. I am pretty sure they get a much better price than I do. For that reason I have come close to switching, but I haven't. I know the commercials say that DirectTv will have all kinds of issues with weather, etc. but honestly my parents have no issues along those lines.

I have Comcast and I have five tvs, three with DVRs and two with digital adapters. I also have internet wifi. I am paying $231 per month for that service. My parents have three tvs with all of them having DVR and internet with someone else. Not sure what they pay, but my dad says he would never pay what I pay for cable and internet.

So I think they are both pretty good with price being the main difference.

DirectTV offers great initial rates, then keeps raising it.

Dec 26, 2017, 1:56 AM

You have to constantly play chicken with them saying you'll switch if they raise the rate, etc. It's a hassle. Same with SiriusXM radio.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Thanks, I figured that was probably the case with

Dec 26, 2017, 10:35 PM

DirectTV. As for Sirius, I have that in both cars and am going to have to keep an eye on the credit card bill to see if they are doing that to me. I haven't noticed so far and so far I feel like it is a good deal and some radio I don't want to be without. But if they start playing that game, I will cut them. Thanks for the heads up.

I live in the boonies

Dec 26, 2017, 5:45 AM

been with Directv for over 20yrs.....it's a love hate like Tswimmer said, but I have little choice. Plus I can help a friend out from time to time......ask Jean Cooper

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

monter le cheval de fer
A coot will usually blink when hit in the head with a ball-peen hammer

DirectTV is like a coot fan...

Dec 26, 2017, 5:48 AM

Comcast is like a coot fan on steroids...they all suck...get rid of TV...go outside and do something productive

They are both a HUGE ripoff!!! I am planning to dump

Dec 26, 2017, 8:04 AM

Comcast and try internet TV. I got to give it a shot. I am paying over $240 a month for a brunch of nothing. I just brought a Smart TV and I thought I see if internet TV will work well. I haven't completely dump Comcast just yet but I will in late January. What I have heard it is not that bad. We will see.

That is what I have done (see my post on this thread)***

Dec 26, 2017, 8:05 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's exactly the way I feel and am paying similar, but I

Dec 26, 2017, 10:37 PM [ in reply to They are both a HUGE ripoff!!! I am planning to dump ]

have not worked up the nerve to cut it and try alternative ways. Probably my age having something to do with my not making myself go for it.

For TV, cut the cord and satellite

Dec 26, 2017, 8:04 AM

Just buy high speed internet connection (costs me ~$40/month) and then...

1) install and HD antenna (one time $100 cost) and get the clearest HD feed of regular channels you can get for FREE (ABC, CBS, FOX, NBC, et al).

2) on demand stream everything else without buying one of those all inclusive TV packages - I use Sling TV (sling.com). You can just pay for watch just what you care to watch and let the other nonsense go by the wayside. I use this to watch all the ESPN channels, HGTV, and Food Network, along with a few other channels from time to time.

This costs me ~$30/month more on top of my internet service.

3) for movies or TV series, use Hulu and/or Netflix. You can even go to HBO direct now.

For streaming, if you don’t have a “smart” TV, you may need to buy a streaming appliance like Roku or Apple TV (I prefer Roku). This is another one-time cost of maybe $100-$200 depending on which model you opt to buy.)

BTW, I had friends here north of Atlanta lose TV completely via their dish due to the snow piling up inside of it. Now granted, that is a very rare situation, but just an example of weather affecting the dish. Don’t get me wrong, a power outage will affect my set-up so nothing is fool proof.

HTH ??

And if you really want to get an in game experience at home

Dec 26, 2017, 8:23 AM

With your big screen TV, look into adding a Sonos wireless surround sound system to your set up. UNBELIEVABLE!

A few years ago, I stumbled on Sonos wireless speakers. Think of that all-in-one Bose speaker with that vivid sound, but wireless so you can stream music over your WiFi network and move it anywhere you want.

You can stream local radio stations as well as distant radio stations all around the country. It plays stations like Pandora and Slacker too. Also has a lin-in port if you want to direct feed music from another device instead of streaming it over your WiFi network. But I digress...

The only thing to caution you about is that Sonos is not cheap. My setup has the sound bar, subwoofer, and two Play 5 speakers (which I move around and use for music throughout the house when there isn’t a game on that I really want full surround sound for).

Soundbar = $600
Sub-woofer = $500
Play 5 speaker = $600 ($1200 for two)

So all in, you are looking at ~$2,300. But it is sweet! ??

I bought from Crutchfield to avoid sales taxes. You can get some Sonos speakers at Target too or Best Buy.

GO TIGERS! BEAT BAMA (again)! ??????

Message was edited by: hufferbilly®

Re: For TV, cut the cord and satellite

Dec 26, 2017, 8:27 AM [ in reply to For TV, cut the cord and satellite ]

Where can I get high speed internet for $40 a month? TIA and a TU for you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 26, 2017, 8:57 AM

I haggled with ATT U-verse. Had Xfinity and kept getting solicited by ATT, so called them up and started the process. It took some back and fort and I told them I watch zero live TV except for sports, so I don’t want all that TV package nonsense.

Now to be fair, I have been working for at least 4 years to get in a position to have the leverage on ATT like this. Up until a little over a year ago, I was held captive by ATT for internet. No other option available. Then Xfinity kept sending me promotions and I would call and then they would say “sorry, but we don’t service your house”or one time they came and said if I would pay them $350, they would run a cable from the street to my house and then I could buy service from them and I just laughed. (It takes over 100 yards to get to my house from the street)

Then one day a little over a year ago, Xfinity said they could service my address and showed up, only to find they needed to run wire. So they scheduled the wire install, free of charge. ?? Then I switched for almost 1 year from ATT to Xfinity, then started negotiations with ATT to have them get my business back. ??

Ahhhh... leverage... I LOVE IT!

We need the local governments to break up the communications oligopoly big time by allowing any and all service providers to compete using a single, fiber pipe to our homes like electricity. This is easily solved via local and state govt. It doesn’t require the Fed govt at all.

Dec 27, 2017, 6:35 AM

What bandwidth do they give you for $40? On the website it shows 50 Mbps for that price, but that bandwidth is not great if it's being used to stream to multiple TVs simultaneously. For the people who said they have 5 TVs they would easily need double that if they use all their TVs at once.

Do not let the marketing fool ya

Dec 27, 2017, 8:00 AM

They cannot really regulate it

Dec 27, 2017, 7:04 AM

The main difference between directv and Comcast is the image quality. Comcast has less video bandwidth than Directv, so they compress the video stream to use a lower bitrate. While yes, all your Comcast channels are technically HD, there is a lot more image compression artifacts (small distortion the size of a person), which are usually noticeable during sports (football, nascar, the olympics), EG: anything where the camera moves quickly.

Directv doesn’t use as much compression, so their HD quality is better. You get a crisp picture without any of the image artifacts. Directv still uses some compression, so while it’s much better than Comcast, it’s still not as good as an uncompressed video feed.

Of course, an over-the-air broadcast has no compression, and if you get a good signal, it will have the best image quality for the same program (EG: the same football game) when compared to Directv or Comcast.

So as to why people like Directv over Comcast, the image quality is the main reason I switched from Cable to Directv. I also wanted to watch more NFL, and at the time there wasn’t an option to just buy Sunday Ticket by itself (now you can get those out of market games without a full Directv subscription).

I’ve since cancelled Directv and use SlingTV and an Over the Air antenna (I get a good signal), mostly for cost reasons.

Looking for a solution in Greenville SC

Dec 27, 2017, 8:14 AM

ABC comes out of Asheville and OTA is spotty at best. Have tried everything except outside antenna at the top of the house. Anybody having any luck with ABC in Greenville? If so, please send a tmail and these posts get lost.

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic