Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Penn State winning Big10 is committees worst nighmare.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 1

Penn State winning Big10 is committees worst nighmare.

Nov 28, 2016, 9:12 AM

Bama wins or loses. In
Clemson wins in
Washington Wins in
Penn State wins, how do you justify taking OSU ahead of Penn State when Penn State won head to head. Would OSU without conference championship beat out a PAC 10 champ UW? Will be interesting to see how that is handled.

Message was edited by: revmarkg®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They very well may leave Washington out

Nov 28, 2016, 9:13 AM

Imagine the uproar if that happens.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Penn State winning Big10 is committees worst nighmare.

Nov 28, 2016, 9:14 AM

1 vs 2 loss negates head to head, mentioned on last weeks show. There has to been consequences for losing 2 games.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2016, 9:20 AM

Head to head win plus conference champion will be hard to justify.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Playing extra gm evens out the 1 vs 2 losses thing IMO.***

Nov 28, 2016, 9:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Penn State winning Big10 is committees worst nighmare. ]

Correct

Nov 28, 2016, 9:20 AM

At this point, two tickets are punched. Bama and Ohio State are in.

That leaves 3 teams for 2 spots. Clemson, Washington, and B1G champ.

B1G champ will have 2 losses, but if it's Penn St, they will have beaten OSU and own the B1G title, both things the committee has shown to value. Thus they almost have to take Penn State if they take Ohio State (which they are based on them having the best resume of wins).

In that Scenario, its Clemson vs Washington and hopefully our non-conf schedule and the FSU, Auburn, L'ville wins are enough to trump the Wash State, Utah, Colorado wins that Washington would have if they beat Colorado in the Pac 12 title game. I think we are in over Washington, but they are playing a much better opponent this week than we are.

Also we need to hope VT jumps into the top 25 this week just have another win over a ranked team.

I'll see your Penn State winning...

Nov 28, 2016, 9:21 AM

...and raise you: Florida beats Bama in SECCG!

How about THAT for a turd sammich?!

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Eh, that won't change anything

Nov 28, 2016, 9:23 AM

Bama is in, win or lose Saturday.

Now, interestingly Bama losing makes it harder for the committee to leave out Ohio State because it removes the "but you didn't win your conference" argument.

But Bama is in, period.

Florida isn't getting in no matter.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't believe this will happen but lets not forget that

Nov 28, 2016, 9:25 AM

the committee makes crazy decisions. If they truly value the Penn State win over Ohio State and the conference championship so highly then they very well could drop Ohio State on that last week.
Remember that TCU was ranked 3rd and then proceed to win by 50 points only to drop out of the top four because they didn't have a conference championship.

That is entirely possible IMO***

Nov 28, 2016, 9:50 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Am I the only one who feels this way?

Nov 28, 2016, 9:54 AM

I don't think Alabama deserves to be in the playoffs if they lose to Florida in the SEC Championship Game.

Think about it. Losing to an average 8-3 Florida team. And it's not like it's early in the season or a regular football game, but it's a championship game and the last game of the regular season. Pretty much a playoff to me.

Should they lose, they're out!

A loss to Florida drops Bama to 3 or 4 at worst.***

Nov 28, 2016, 9:55 AM

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Analytics currently have this Bama team rated as one

Nov 28, 2016, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Am I the only one who feels this way? ]

of the best teams of all time. 1 loss isn't going to knock them out of the playoff. They would still get in over anyone else competing for that spot.

Re: Analytics currently have this Bama team rated as one

Nov 28, 2016, 10:17 AM

Analytics? Is that accounting for being down multiple scores to an ole miss team who won't make a bowl? They came back but I mean come on.

What about no score vs LSU until near the end, and needed some help from refs vs a team that's one dimensional.

Analytics will go out the window when Bama plays us, we are their worst nightmare.

Big10 will get exposed this bowl season. Like sec the first year of the playoff.

Yes, they account for all of that.***

Nov 28, 2016, 10:49 AM

Best team of all time because...

Nov 28, 2016, 10:36 AM [ in reply to Analytics currently have this Bama team rated as one ]

They beat an LSU team that fired their coach mid-season and an Auburn team that doesn't have a quarterback capable of distinguishing himself by game 12? Best team of all time? That's horse shyatt.

Although it goes against the ESPN big-money broadcast model, the fact is that THE REST OF THE SEC STINKS. East, west, ALL OF THEM. In my opinion, bama's only quality win came in week 1, against a team that they wouldn't want to face now. Their next best win? Kentucky. Selah.

They are a very good team, but how good? Who knows? Let's see what happens when they face a team with a real quarterback! Does anyone remember last season when everyone was talking about how great bama's defense was, perhaps the greatest college defense of all time? Yeah, right. And Hillary was going to win in a landslide.

If bama gets us again in the playoff, they better pray for another kickoff return for a touchdown and recovering another onside kick.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So our 2nd or 3rd best win isn't a quality win?

Nov 28, 2016, 10:51 AM

That doesn't say a great deal about our schedule either.

Is anyone saying we're the best team of all time?

Nov 28, 2016, 10:57 AM

Do you really think this bama team is the best college football team of all time?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not really, but it's very difficult to evaluate that kind of

Nov 28, 2016, 12:58 PM

thing. How do you value dominant blowouts over good, but not elite teams? Is it more impressive to beat a couple of 11-1 or 10-2 type teams or destroy some 8-4 type teams?

The one thing that i would take into consideration with regards to Bama that computer models will not is that USC wasn't nearly the same team back when Bama destroyed them. They are getting credit for beating a top 10 team 52-6, but the USC team they beat was anything but a top 10 team at the time.

So no i wouldn't put them up there with a team like 95 Nebraska, but the fact remains that they are in the 99.8th percentile in S&P+ right now and Bill Connolly (the creator of that metric) said that would be the highest % finish of any team since the 1950s.

Either way, they aren't falling out of the top 4 with a loss, and there's a decent chance they would still be #1 or #2.

If it's that way...

Nov 28, 2016, 10:47 AM [ in reply to Analytics currently have this Bama team rated as one ]

maybe if Alabama stays unbeaten after the SECCG, but they lose the playoff, just put them in the final because they're the best team in the nation with only one loss.

If you get what I mean, this is not the time that you're allowed to have a loss. It doesn't matter if it's Alabama or Clemson.

They Might Then "TCU" the Buckeyes

Nov 28, 2016, 9:56 AM

The Bucks might just be a nice placeholder until conf championships resolve themselves. Assuming Bama, Clemson, Washington and Penn State win you could see the committee truly declare that conf champs matter or they could take OSU over PSU because of 2 - Losses.

PSU, assuming a win, has a unique case over OSU for 3 reasons: Head to Head, Division Winner, Conference Winner. Be fun to watch.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 28, 2016, 9:59 AM

It would indeed. There is going to be contreversy any way you look at it concerning the BIG. Colorado can beat Washington. We will beat VT. Would 2 big teams get in over Oklahoma or Colorado if that happens? Hmmm?

Everyone is putting a lot of stock in these BIG teams, I just don't see what the fuss is about although I have only seen a handful of their games. Would we play Penn State/Wisc if Washington loses? Would be a crazy scenario. OSU gets in no higher than 4 so they will likely play Bama. We will play one of the other conference champs between BIG, PAC, and Big12

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so because Pitt beat PSU H2H, Pitt gets in, right ?

Nov 28, 2016, 10:20 AM

and.... that's what happens when you put H2H over ALL the other schedule.

PSU has 2 losses - they aren't in the discussion if Washington and Clemson win out.

Wisconsin win is not much better...

Nov 28, 2016, 10:53 AM

Ohio State needs to accept that they are out because THEY LOST to PSU.

Replies: 23
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic