Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Southern Living's Best BBQ Joint in the South
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 998

Southern Living's Best BBQ Joint in the South

Mar 20, 2018, 2:33 PM

https://www.southernliving.com/souths-best/bbq-restaurants-verdict

Here, I'll spoil it for you.

The South is blessed with hundreds of exceptional barbecue joints, and they vary greatly in technique and style, making it almost impossible to declare any particular one the very best. Fittingly, the voting for the South’s Best Barbecue Joints ended in a dead heat with the winner of last year’s contest, Southern Soul Barbeque of St. Simons Island, Georgia, and the North Carolina icon Lexington Barbecue receiving the exact same number of votes. Which one should be crowned this year’s winner?

Now, allow myself to remind you that Griff Buffkin (Southern Soul proprietor and pitmaster) and Mark Hanna (Southern Soul pitmaster), along with Rodney Scott, were judges in the CBWS BBQ in December. They ate my brisket, and it won, which basically means that I'm better than all of you. My smoked crabcakes won the Sea category too, which means I'm so goddamned good at what I do, I can just make stuff up almost on the spot and it's still the best thing going.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't wanna poop on your gloating....

Mar 20, 2018, 2:37 PM

but all of this is tarnished by the fact that they chose Lexington BBQ, which is one of the greatest BBQ build-ups and let downs that I have had the misfortune of experiencing in my 43 years on this rock. They might as well have said Sonny's Real Pit BBQ.

This now makes me question your brisket---guilt by association and whatnot.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Never had Lexington BBQ, but are you sure you're not

Mar 20, 2018, 2:43 PM

mistaking this joint (in eastern NC) with one outside of Columbia? Because that would be nothing more than mustard-based slop, if I had to guess.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

naw mane, Lexington is in central NC. Only about an

Mar 20, 2018, 2:55 PM

hour north of Charlotte, if that. Drove up there once just to get this crap and it crushed my spirit that I could have just stayed home, had Bill Spoon's, and gotten 100x better food.

It's crazy overrated....I truly have no idea how they made that list---super-dry Q.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And virtually tasteless.***

Mar 20, 2018, 3:04 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes. it is. I don't understand the draw.***

Mar 20, 2018, 4:06 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me either.

Mar 20, 2018, 4:24 PM

If you want it to taste like something you have to load it up massively with their table sauces which are also crap.

I throw Texas Pete on it. It's from Winston so I call it

Mar 20, 2018, 4:35 PM

Camel-Q

Now if you haven't been to camel city BBQ in Winston, you may want to give it a try. I didn't eat the pig, but maybe I should have. The rest of their meat was pretty good and good sauces.

Gather around all you n00bs and learn

Mar 20, 2018, 3:22 PM [ in reply to naw mane, Lexington is in central NC. Only about an ]

from a master troller who is arguing with himself ITT.

Learn from 19B®/Obed

Although this is doctorate-level trolling

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, I'm real. Sadly, Obed is really just that stupid***

Mar 20, 2018, 3:26 PM

@#$@#$ wrong login.***

Mar 20, 2018, 3:26 PM

No, I'm real. Sadly, Obed is really just that stupid***

Mar 20, 2018, 3:29 PM [ in reply to Gather around all you n00bs and learn ]

####, can't edit posts with other handle.***

Mar 20, 2018, 3:30 PM

Re: Never had Lexington BBQ, but are you sure you're not

Mar 20, 2018, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Never had Lexington BBQ, but are you sure you're not ]

I've been to the NC BBQ joint.

Its bad. Unbelievably bad. Dry as a bone, overcooked ends, no seasoning, straight vinegar taste in the sauce. Over priced too.

Now, Maurice's in Columbia? That is world class BBQ.

Mar 20, 2018, 4:15 PM

ROH

Mar 21, 2018, 5:41 PM [ in reply to Never had Lexington BBQ, but are you sure you're not ]

its all chopped and not pulled pork. they don't know what hash is either.

ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto

Mar 20, 2018, 2:48 PM [ in reply to I don't wanna poop on your gloating.... ]

ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto ditto

My wife is from Lexington NC and i laugh anytime they bring that place up.

There's some dammmnnn good BBQ place in Lexington

Mar 20, 2018, 4:27 PM [ in reply to I don't wanna poop on your gloating.... ]

Just not Lexington BBQ.

BTW 19B, this means your Crab Cakes are on par with Hyman's.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

anytime you use a tray for a plate has got to be good***

Mar 20, 2018, 2:37 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Smokin' Pig or GTFO

Mar 20, 2018, 2:39 PM

unless it's mine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

Is the one in Charleston as good as the original?*****

Mar 20, 2018, 2:51 PM

Charleston?***

Mar 20, 2018, 3:03 PM

Oops...that was supposed to be on the next post down.*****

Mar 20, 2018, 3:33 PM

You been to Little Pigs in Anderson yet?

Mar 20, 2018, 5:05 PM [ in reply to Smokin' Pig or GTFO ]

That's the go to BBQ if in town for me. Smokin' Pig has dropped off somewhat from what it used to be. Still good though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Meh...they don't sell beer.***

Mar 21, 2018, 3:51 PM [ in reply to Smokin' Pig or GTFO ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is not Scott's BBQ

Mar 20, 2018, 2:45 PM

So this is bull ####

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Is the one in Charleston as good as the original?*****

Mar 20, 2018, 3:33 PM

The Q itself is as good, and there are more things on the

Mar 20, 2018, 3:51 PM

menu. But the experience isn't as authentic. In Hemingway, there ain't nothin' for miles around that little intersection besides a few burned out barns and open fields. There's a group of old black men sitting on the bench outside--probably there every day. Whole hogs are cooked in cinder block pits with real burn barrels. It's country af, which is part of the experience.

The one in Chas. is sanitized and sterile, with fancy welded high-grade steel pits with mechanical lifts, and bigass wood stoves to burn the red oak down. But Rodney and his crew are still shoveling coals under the hogs by hand. Prices are probably 40-50% more in Charleston, too, but rent in that district is moderately higher than Hemingway, SC.

And, it's just south of Johnsonville.

Mar 20, 2018, 4:16 PM

In case you're craving brats, I mean.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

there is a liquor store behind it

Mar 20, 2018, 4:27 PM [ in reply to The Q itself is as good, and there are more things on the ]

that's something

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I was trying to figure out where the one in Hemingway was...

Mar 20, 2018, 4:41 PM [ in reply to The Q itself is as good, and there are more things on the ]

a long time ago, but somehow I got lost on the way and gave up. There was an article about it in National Geographic Traveler. That said, I am driving from Florida through Charleston and then on 17 to Wilmington in a couple months and want to go there. Thanks for the insight.

Let me know next time you try to go

Mar 21, 2018, 1:13 PM

I'll hook you up.

And we'll get some BBQ too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

This is a cottam survey of old farts

Mar 20, 2018, 2:49 PM

who drive up and down the highways and byways in their Chrysler K-cars after reading the latest issue of Southern Living....

Lexington Barbecue

Mar 20, 2018, 3:02 PM

is absolutely s h I t .

Re: Lexington Barbecue I beg your pardon

Mar 20, 2018, 3:55 PM

Lexington RULES BBQ

Pfffft.

Mar 20, 2018, 4:12 PM

Lexington barbecues their barbecue on the barbecue.

MASSIVE FAIL!!!!***

Mar 20, 2018, 4:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Lexington Barbecue I beg your pardon ]

There are only 3 BBQ places I can think of in Hemingway, SC

Mar 20, 2018, 4:13 PM [ in reply to Lexington Barbecue ]

Scott's, Kenny's, Big D's.

Any one of those will beat any of this "BBQ" in central NC tagged Lexington BBQ. And that red slaw???? PUKE! I have found a few good brisket plates at the wood burning "lexington BBQ" places. I usually get that or chicken. Chicken cooked Lex BBQ style taint bad attall!

The first few years I lived here, I'd make my on BBQ. But I've learned I can make some sauce or steal some from back home and throw it in some "Lex BBQ" in the iron skillet and BOOM! Not terrible.

Preach, my brother. The wisdom, you has it.***

Mar 20, 2018, 4:23 PM

Hang on now...you gonna go too far dissing red slaw.

Mar 20, 2018, 4:31 PM [ in reply to There are only 3 BBQ places I can think of in Hemingway, SC ]

Try Red Bridges in Shelby, NC sometime. The BBQ is good (if not great) but the red slaw and hush puppies are worth getting throat punched for.

Re: Hang on now...you gonna go too far dissing red slaw.

Mar 20, 2018, 4:37 PM

That shat is horrible...as in Barkley HOR A BULL. Sorry, my pallet can't accept it. Have you had the one with Cherry Wine? BLAK!!

Hushpuppies: I would agree that these folks know something about a ball of cornbread dough.

I'm going to let you off with a warning this time.

Mar 21, 2018, 3:38 PM

Let's BBQ safe in the future though, OK?

You can give my red slaw to tiger.***

Mar 21, 2018, 6:07 PM

If you start a restaurant, then I can guarantee that my band

Mar 20, 2018, 3:06 PM

will play at your joint at least once a month. I mean, you'll be the only place in town that has an all-tuba punk rock band, which almost guarantees your success.

TOTE1 is ALL IN for an all-tuba banned***

Mar 20, 2018, 3:20 PM

I ALREADY KNOWED YOU WUZ ALLIN.***

Mar 20, 2018, 4:11 PM

Friendly reminder, friend.

Mar 20, 2018, 3:22 PM

Like you, I consider myself a brisket connoisseur---in my day I've had horrible brisket, and I've had brisket that makes you weep with joy, as if you've just seen the face of God.

This brisket though? Best I've ever had, by a factor of 10. I know you still have some Phoenix connections---it's worth going here even if you have a long layover at Sky Harbor.

https://www.littlemissbbq.com/

Will check it out. Haven't been out there since the

Mar 20, 2018, 3:28 PM

natty game.

You need to go to Lockhart, Texas.

Mar 20, 2018, 4:10 PM [ in reply to Friendly reminder, friend. ]

For serious. Mothra said on the 7th day "Let there be brisket" and Lockhart sprang forth from the earth.

Also, Mothra is more energetic than your typical god, because Mothra didn't take the 7th day off from work.

I'm about to try cooking one on the Akorn

Mar 20, 2018, 4:38 PM [ in reply to Friendly reminder, friend. ]

Preach to me. How do i do it?

How much mayonnaise do you have?***

Mar 21, 2018, 3:40 PM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

say wha?***

Mar 21, 2018, 6:08 PM

Call me when Garden and Gun cares.***

Mar 20, 2018, 4:36 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i grew up on St. Simons

Mar 21, 2018, 3:05 PM

get at me

Replies: 53
| visibility 998
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic