Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB: We basically have 5 James Davis/Terry Allen level RB's..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

FB: We basically have 5 James Davis/Terry Allen level RB's..

Feb 17, 2015, 10:59 AM

in Gallman, Choice, Fuller, Brooks and Dye with Spiller/Stephen Davis on the way in Feaster. WE'S RiCH!!!!!! Can't wait.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

maybe you do,,,

Feb 17, 2015, 11:09 AM

but Davis and Allen were excellent backs. Would be rare for a team to have 5 that great.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well stated. I hope it's true, but only time will tell.*****

Feb 17, 2015, 11:19 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB: We basically have 5 James Davis/Terry Allen level RB's..

Feb 17, 2015, 11:14 AM

Sorry maybe it's because I was only about 10 but the way I remember it terry Allen was a superstar. He probably would have gone higher in the draft if not for blowing out his knee against the #####. He could have been a heisman contender if the administration hadn't forced Danny out, and Allen left his jafter his junior year.

We do not have any James Davis/Terry Allen level rb's.......

Feb 17, 2015, 11:21 AM

Those two were among our greatest backs and we've had MANY. Feaster has never taken a college snap and the others are nowhere near that level. Could they be.....hopefully so, but you can usually identify the special ones early. Personally, I don't see that. Anyway, I'm happy with what we have but you are talking rarefied air and they are not yet in that discussion!

Feb 17, 2015, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Re: FB: We basically have 5 James Davis/Terry Allen level RB's.. ]

Before you put guys in the same class as Terry Allen, Kenny flowers, Kevin Mack, Chris Lancaster, Kenny Callicutt, Bill Mathis, Buddy Gore, Marvin Sims, et al, they need to prove something first...you might be right and hope you are, but these guys in their place in time were great backs for us back in the day....

Re: FB: Ok, ok... a qualifying statement....

Feb 17, 2015, 11:46 AM

Most of those "great" backs at Clemson between 85-97 were in an era of featured backs with no one pushing them. James Davis was a 4 star (not that I care so much about stars considering Terry Allen was a safety when he came to Clemson) but these RB's are all 4 stars and could start at other schools with running offenses and rack up the yardage.

BUT- I humble myself and my statements considering they have not played at all or not enough at Clemson to know for sure. We just have never had this level of talent "potential" all at once. I do recognize the rarity of a Terry Allen(I was a student at Clemson when he played his last year) and James Davis- and let's not forget Ronald Williams of out 96, SC( I was a student at Clemson when he played)....

I am simply excited that we should not be without a back that could go for a 100 on any day with good blocking.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Son. Danny signed the best RB in 3 states in the same class

Feb 17, 2015, 11:52 AM

more than once...And most of these boys would be changing positions

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He lead the NFL in TD's***

Feb 17, 2015, 11:49 AM [ in reply to Re: FB: We basically have 5 James Davis/Terry Allen level RB's.. ]

James Davis wasn't in Terry's league and I don't see anybody

Feb 17, 2015, 11:48 AM

on the team right now show more than a flash of JD yet...Pump the brakes

Feb 17, 2015, 11:50 AM

> in Gallman, Choice, Fuller, Brooks and Dye with
> Spiller/Stephen Davis on the way in Feaster. WE'S
> RiCH!!!!!! Can't wait.

Gotta disagree.

If you look at the Rivals.com ratings, a 4-star correlates to a 5.8, 5.9, or 6.0 rating. Those are the guys who should - if they got it right - get drafted in Rounds 2-7 of the NFL.

A 6.1 - five-star - is CJ Spiller. If Rivals got it right, a 5-star should be drafted in the first round and have an immense, usually immediate, impact at the college level. Obviously Rivals got it right in Spiller's case - he was a 6.1 5-star, he got drafted in the first round. They had James Davis as a 6.0 - a high-end 4-star. I'd say they got that right too. He was a big-time college back, got drafted into the NFL.

Choice and Dye were 5.9's, Brooks was a 5.8, and Gallman was a 5.7 - a high-end 3-star. So far Choice and Dye have been injured and shown very little. If they're NFL prospects I have yet to see it. Brooks has never really lived up to his rating, performing at maybe a 5.5 - low-end 3-star - level to date, and he's had injury concerns of his own. CJ Davidson probably has 4-star tools but his ball security renders that moot; if he can't hold onto the ball he won't ever see the field.

Only Gallman has performed as billed. He has thus far played almost spot-on to the level of that 5.7 rating he received. He's been a solid college back. You certainly won't confuse him with Nick Chubb or Samaje Perine as a freshman, and he won't make the NFL unless he gets quite a bit bigger and stronger and learns to run north-south behind his pads instead of bouncing it east-west like a Wing T back all the time, but he's been pretty good.

As far as what we have with Fuller, who knows. Coachspeak is nice; I'll reserve judgment that he'll contribute until after we get a look at him in Spring. I personally doubt he's a contributor, ever.

So we aren't "rich" at RB. Quite the opposite. We're loaded at WR, mind, and have arguably the best collection of WR's in college football (we're getting used to that), but honestly I'd rate us barely above average, probably no more than middle-of-the-pack even in the ACC at running back. FSU, Pitt, Duke, NC State, and probably GT all have better RB's than we do.

Feb 17, 2015, 1:51 PM

Dem sum fancy numbers you got there

There's only one Terry Allen and he ain't on this team

Feb 17, 2015, 12:00 PM

We've got some solid young talent, but if #21 was carrying the rock last year we would probably be talking about a repeat of our ACC championship for next year, and maybe a return to the CFP. Yes he was that good.

Re: FB: So "we's normal" with other elite Power 5 teams then...

Feb 17, 2015, 12:10 PM

I overshot a little bit. I did mention some of the most talented backs in Clemson history: Allen, Davis, Spiller, Williams.... I digress. Must be too much orange colored caffeine this morning!! Go Tigers!!

Re: FB: So "we's normal" with other elite Power 5 teams then...

Feb 17, 2015, 1:30 PM

By "normal" with other elite Power 5 teams you mean slightly above average in the ACC, sure.

We've got elite wide receivers. We've got an elite QB.

Our OL is distinctly not elite. Our RB's haven't been anything close to elite. Gallman's pretty good. Other than that we've got potential and not much proven production. At all.

Re: We have 5 James Davis/Terry Allen level RB's..OL

Feb 17, 2015, 1:40 PM

hopefully we've addressed that to the point any RB we have can get some lanes to run through. That is sorely needed

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree about Allen vs Rb's now..and "Quozell" is sharp & smart, ain't he!

Feb 17, 2015, 1:45 PM

LOL..and GoTiGERS, get better & win Men!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Slow it down....Terry Allen was the best pure RB I have ever

Feb 17, 2015, 1:58 PM

seen at Clemson. CJ isn't the pure RB Allen was. Marvin Sims was the best FB I ever saw at Clemson as well. JD, as much as I love the guy, wasn't in Allen's class. Allen ran between the tackles comparable to Emmitt Smith before the knee injury. After the knee injury he had a very solid pro career as well. Let the kids show something over several year before we start putting them in Allen's class. JD never was in Allen's class so the youngsters have a long way to go.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Slow it down....Terry Allen was the best pure RB I have ever

Feb 17, 2015, 2:21 PM

Best pure RB's imo, pure RB's, not most talented, since I've been watching/going to games. I'm 38

1. Terry Allen
2. Andre Ellington
3. Raymond Priester

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

I'll second that....AE, for being small, had great vision

Feb 17, 2015, 2:27 PM

My list would be for HB:
Allen
Cliff Austin
Ellington

FB:
Marvin Sims
Kevin Mack
Priester (since he really was a FB)

CJ would be an all purpose back for me, used in the passing game and running game.

Allen had vision, speed, instincts, toughness like nobody I have seen at Clemson.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How can you name FBs at Clemson and NOT mention

Feb 17, 2015, 4:18 PM

Tracy Johnson, Emory Smith or Jeff McCall? NO WAY Mack was a better FB than McCall

I believe he just did

Feb 17, 2015, 4:19 PM

soooooo that's how...

glad to be of assistance

If you want to help, why don't you give us your list?***

Feb 17, 2015, 4:23 PM

I don't want to help...HTH....dohhhhhh!!!!!!***

Feb 17, 2015, 4:54 PM

Oh but you do Mr. Helper, otherwise you wouldn't have

Feb 17, 2015, 5:03 PM

replied....d'oh indeed

Feb 17, 2015, 3:04 PM

Not sure what you've been smoking, but you need to lay off it a bit...There's not a single Terry Allen or James Davis on our roster period...No where near it...Just bunch of average backs is all we got. Three of which (Brooks, Dye & Choice) are injury prone...

The way I see it, we've got 5 Chevys parked in the yard and three are on blocks all the time. If that makes us rich, then so is every coot across SC.

James Davis was a threat to score everytime he touched

Feb 17, 2015, 3:16 PM

the ball. We don't have that yet. Feaster will fill that void.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

No not even close to it.....He was a threat to get 15-20

Feb 17, 2015, 4:19 PM

yards everytime he touched it, but he CERTAINLY wasn't the home run threat TA, CJ or AE were at Clemson

Re: UPDATE!!!- I was on the orange caffeine when I wrote...

Feb 17, 2015, 3:22 PM

I got a little excited after reading the article on RB's and mixed a little too much orange tilted hope with reality.

Let's lead the ACC in rushing for at least the next 5 years, even if by RB by committee (hopefully that's more realistic). GO TIGERS!!!

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic