Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Honest assessment of last night's officiating
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Honest assessment of last night's officiating

Nov 5, 2017, 12:48 PM

I thought we got the short end of the stick on some calls, but nothing glaring like the "shadow" penalties that we got from the coot ref in last year's Pitt game.

Did I miss something or just being biased toward my team? I don't understand what Doeren and the fans are complaining about? Besides they are just trying to come up with excuses of why they lost, did anyone see/notice bad calls against NC State or missed calls against Clemson?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's absolutely no reason why NC State fans or coaches

Nov 5, 2017, 12:51 PM

should be mad.

Re: Honest assessment of last night's officiating

Nov 5, 2017, 12:52 PM

not great but ok. Some missed each way. never saw the chop block that was called but we overcame it

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was a judgement call and could have been ignored.

Nov 5, 2017, 12:55 PM

Somebody made a mistake. The defender backed off the block just in time to save being flat footed when our guy dived at his knees. Either the guy diving or the guy blocking was out of order. The ref's call was legitimate and a rule to protect players. I couldn't argue with it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It was a judgement call and could have been ignored.

Nov 5, 2017, 12:58 PM

After watching GT’s LG intentionally make that block on an engaged man (most often 90) last week, it pissed me off tremendously

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2017, 12:56 PM

There were some missed calls on both sides, but the lack of PI calls and holding calls in our favor when they were blatantly obvious even to the casual football fan were bad enough to make me want to throw my TV out the window.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2017, 1:06 PM

The call that the "fans" (please excuse misusing the word) were irate about was the Illegal Shift (two men in motion when the ball was snapped). It was definitely the proper call. Even Doeren said, "we were shifting, two men were moving, and somehow the ball got snapped." If Dirty Dave didn't deny it, well then...

There were questionable calls and no-calls on both teams, but when it comes to ACC officiating, that's certainly nothing new. And properly spotting the ball continues to be something that they just aren't capable of.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

State made a decision to grab and hold our receivers

Nov 5, 2017, 1:02 PM

throughout the game, which they got away with in large part. We need to continue to get Higgins and Overton more involved in the passing game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2017, 1:12 PM

Refs missed a number of obvious PI calls early, from grabs to total muggings. Somehow the woofies thought getting away with it was the state of nature and when the refs called a few, they started booing. The bobbled pass on sideline reversal really set them off so that they booed the players even coming out second half. Got to the point they booed every time CU broke up a pass, close or not. I boo when refs are clearly bone headed or one sided, but try to recognize some calls can go either way. One the way out many of the student fans were bitching about the refs and an ACC conspiracy to protect a playoff team. How about that, anACC conspiracy in favor of Clemson!

The Chop Block Call We Got Was 100% Trash***

Nov 5, 2017, 1:15 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Chop Block Call We Got Was 100% Trash***

Nov 5, 2017, 1:33 PM

Apparently now you can't even get tripped over anymore haha

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

State got the benefit of almost every call in the first half

Nov 5, 2017, 1:17 PM

too:

- "False start" on Ray Ray while Chubb was standing in our backfield--that should've been an automatic first down but we had to punt on that drive.

- At least 2 no-call pass interference penalties

- A TERRIBLE spot on Cain's diving catch on the sideline on 3rd down that forced us to go for it on 4th

That's just off the top of my head.

The officiating got better in the second half. Granted, with my orange-colored glassed, I don't remember any flags in the second half against State that were questionable.

They seemed mostly upset about the illegal motion play but that was absolutely the right call. They had two WRs who weren't set and so our DBs weren't expecting the snap--it might've made the difference in completing the pass and not.

From Chubb's school-yard bully shenanigans to the classless behavior of the fans after the game and the bush-league whining by Doeren in his post-game presser, that whole program is trash right now.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 5, 2017, 1:28 PM

The officiating was awful both ways. It was in NC State's favor in the 1Q but shifted to being heavily in our favor after that. Offsides called as illegal motion the other way, phantom clipping, phantom chop block, PI called or not called, they really ran the tables of bad officiating. I would say NC State has good reason to be upset, but homer bias makes it seem far worse than it really is.

Objectively, it almost felt like they were trying to keep the game close. I really hope someone monitors the finances of officials to prevent gambling influence.

Nov 5, 2017, 2:01 PM

Some people don't like it, but I posted a similar comment during the game about officiating being used to help keep the game close. With so much money at stake, there is no way things are left purely up to chance IMO. I am not saying it happened in the game yesterday, but to think that it does not or cannot happen is naive in my view.

https://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=22494623#22494623

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

They didn't show any bias

Nov 5, 2017, 1:32 PM

The officiating was terrible on both sides. That chop block call on us was terrible!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They didn't show any bias

Nov 5, 2017, 1:40 PM

Ironically, the call their fans were the most mad about is probably the least arguable one of the night - an obvious illegal shift. It was brought on by their rush to make up for awful clock management earlier when they let 35 seconds of the last ~2:10 tick away before kicking the FG.

I going to have to say as a former CB..

Nov 5, 2017, 2:11 PM

I had some sympathy with NC State's DBs. Early in a game as a DB you push the envelope sometimes on physical coverage to see what a referee will call, some are tight on the rules, some are lax, but you want consistency, ("Let me know what I can get away with") from the refs. Last night the refs allowed a lot of downfield contact early in the game, then totally changed and began calling it very close. It didn't effect Clemson much, we were playing a lot of zone and one with Carter playing man(very experienced corner), and our less experienced guys in zone. NC State was playing tight man and their backs never adjusted to the tighter calls and got burned. I felt sorry for them, but after a couple of calls they should have adjusted and didn't seem to, so their bad.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic