Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If you're looking to buy Intel at 6...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 568

If you're looking to buy Intel at 6...

Nov 19, 2019, 11:56 AM

...then this may be your chance.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/11/19/business/heliogen-solar-energy-bill-gates/index.html

The key name there is "Bill Gates". If he's really cracked this problem - we'll see - and can use what amounts to free power for industrial processes, you probably cannot buy enough Heliogen stock fast enough.

There are moments in tech history that are what are called "paradigm shifts"...keep an eye on Heliogen; if they've really got what they claim this is one of those shifts. This could have the same kind of sweeping effect that, say, replacing steam engines with diesel had.

I've said it before - anybody who believes that climate change is a myth is an idiot, but the bigger idiocy is buying into the almost fatalistic subtext that always accompanies that assertion, which is: "we're doomed anyhow, nothing can be done"...bull. There are some very bright folks out there who aren't wasting time arguing or politicizing the problems, they're out solving them and the time is rapidly approaching when the oil companies simply look around and discover the world has moved on around them and they're simply...irrelevant.

And at the end of the day the biggest thing renewable power has going for isn't that it's eco-friendly, it's that it's (potentially!) cheap, and that pushes everything else forward. People seem to get a lot more interested in saving the planet when you can also make money doing it.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting

Nov 19, 2019, 12:07 PM

They’ve had solar furnaces before. This takes it to a new level. There are probably a lot of floundering technologies out there that could be made cost effective with the right AI or other computer control assistance.

They’ve had one in France since the 70’s that can hit 3500degC but I don’t think they’ve been able to scale it up to industrial capacities. If this new system will run large capacity smelters etc that will be great.

Heliogen isn’t listed on Robinhood yet. Poot

Re: Interesting

Nov 19, 2019, 12:23 PM

That's what makes it interesting to me. The big bugaboo with solar has always been efficiency; with AI calibration all of a sudden that has the same sort of effect the invention of PLC's had in automation.

All sorts of things get possible then.

Soon-Shiong did seem to indicate the big proof-of-concept - probably a large-scale smelter - was coming and then the company was probably going public. Methinks there's going to be a big first day and then an even bigger first few month as the general public catches on, and if you can be one of those Day 1 guys you can probably make a killing.

If this thing is the real deal. I'm going to poke about and see what the tech geeks are saying.

So you take 1,000 mirrors. Mount each one on a moving

Nov 19, 2019, 12:18 PM

pedestal, with moving parts, then use computer software to align them to focus on a single point, and you get 1,000C?

OR, you can use a $36 ton of coal. Moreover, you can burn coal at night.

This sells about as well as the guy who tried to get me to join his internet grocery shopping startup in 2000. But hey, people pay $1.29 for a bottle of freaking tap water, and $6 for a cup of coffee, so why not.

Wonder if Bill Gates has figured out his renewable toilet yet.

Hey, at least he's tossing his billions around.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Get with it dude renewable toilets have been around for

Nov 19, 2019, 12:26 PM

years.

Had one at our cabin where we couldn’t put a septic tank in. Worked great. Hated I couldn’t buy the place when the rest of the relatives sold it to settle Granpa’s estate.

https://www.pickatoilet.com/best-composting-toilet-reviews/

Doesn't work in a city with 1 million + people in a third

Nov 19, 2019, 12:34 PM

world country who have no running water or sewers. They take their #### and dump it in a nearby ditch to be washed downhill to someone even less lucky, and then pollutes the drinking water and carries diseases. Can't do septic tanks in that kind of urban environment either. Logistically, they can't build sewer lines, and they can't afford it, or a sewer treatment plant. Millions die yearly from waterborne diseases we've never heard of in the US.

Still, don't know how he's doing on this mission:

https://www.gatesfoundation.org/what-we-do/global-growth-and-opportunity/water-sanitation-and-hygiene/reinvent-the-toilet-challenge-and-expo

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There was a time when market based solutions...

Nov 19, 2019, 12:33 PM

Were advanced by the Republican Party in terms of tax policy, research investment, technology development, government procurement etc. Somehow climate change denial and protecting out dated industries / technologies became conservative doctrine. That’s regretful.

Yes technology advances combined with capitalistic opportunity will create solutions, wealth and benefit society.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If you're looking to buy Intel at 6...

Nov 19, 2019, 2:33 PM

Yes, I believe the climate changes. The earths ecosystem is never static or unchanging.

I'd be worried if it didn't change.***

Nov 19, 2019, 4:52 PM

So we don't need the Green New Deal now?

Nov 19, 2019, 6:31 PM

Great. I'm all about putting trash in the trash can and used oil where it can be recycled and I'm delighted in hope that solar will replace fossil fuels for homes and manufacturing. I'm just not about to take sides with anyone who risk our economic health over a carbon dioxide molecule.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My son built a cool solar array for science fair

Nov 19, 2019, 9:31 PM
hotcarrot.jpg(205.9 K)

"Parabolic Death Ray" was the name of the experiment. It was hot, but not quite 1000 C.

Re: My son built a cool solar array for science fair

Nov 20, 2019, 2:59 PM

Is that actually real?

If so...cool.

#1) Is anyone else amused at the idea of combating global warming

Nov 19, 2019, 10:13 PM

by creating about a thousand points on the planet that are 1/4 the temperature of the surface of the sun?

#2). CEMENT gives us 7% of the CO2 we produce!?! ONE INDUSTRY!?! How am I just learning about this? Any other industries we should know about? Because I’m pretty sure the left has been telling me it’s me for warming up the car for two minutes in the winter.

#3) If this technology is this great and knocks 7% of CO2 emissions, surely the governments will pay for the bulk of these improvements for the cement industry? Surely do-gooders like Gates will sell it at cost? I mean...we only have 12 years. This will buy us a couple more.

null

Replies: 12
| visibility 568
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic