Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Republicans are now praising a muslim King, a military....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 584

Republicans are now praising a muslim King, a military....

Feb 11, 2015, 6:10 PM

dictator, and a borderline dictator.

http://www.salon.com/2015/02/11/jon_stewart_gleefully_mocks_fox_news_desires_for_president_obama/

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FDR praised Stalin.***

Feb 11, 2015, 6:11 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The OP was about the present. FDR and Stalin weren't...

Feb 11, 2015, 6:14 PM

mentioned in the OP or the link in the OP. Stay on topic next time you respond. Didn't post about FDR or Stalin.

Sorry I messed up your tactics.***

Feb 11, 2015, 6:16 PM

FDR Derangement Syndrome? Old school.***

Feb 12, 2015, 12:09 PM [ in reply to FDR praised Stalin.*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

He's the guy who said FDR created the middle class***

Feb 12, 2015, 1:09 PM

You're the guy who said it's a derangement syndrome.***

Feb 12, 2015, 1:35 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it, so that when men come to be undeceived, it is too late; the jest is over, and the tale hath had its effect: like a man, who hath thought of a good repartee when the discourse is changed, or the company parted; or like a physician, who hath found out an infallible medicine, after the patient is dead.
- Jonathan Swift

Wrong. I said Bush Derangement Syndrome to you.***

Feb 13, 2015, 9:37 AM

And you said that because.........***

Feb 13, 2015, 1:53 PM

- Jonathan Swift

Because you keep bringing him up. Pathological.***

Feb 13, 2015, 5:51 PM

Oh neat. Cool term you invented just for that purpose.***

Feb 13, 2015, 10:18 PM

- Jonathan Swift

Stuff like this...

Feb 11, 2015, 6:35 PM

Is going to really make me miss Jon Stewart.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

There is one parallel I can draw between Stewart and Obama.

Feb 12, 2015, 8:55 AM

Both came into their jobs with tremendous promise. Even though I didn't vote for Obama in '08, I understood the draw. I understood what he COULD be and do for the country.

Same thing with Stewart. His early work on the Daily Show was fantastic. Razor-sharp wit aimed at a lot of great targets. Politicians, media, etc. I really thought he was definitely the satirist of our generation. And yes, he was, but not nearly to the level I had hoped or expected.

It wasn't too long into Obama's administration that I realized that he wasn't the man we had hoped for. He just didn't have the acumen. That's not his fault...he is what he is. Maybe if he had the talent, he would have chosen to be a more effective leader.

Stewart was different. At some point...I think it was around Bush's second Presidential election win, he became partisan. He picked a side. And I hate that. He could have done so much more if he had disciplined himself to a nonpartisan, objective observer of the powers-that-be. But he picked a side and allowed himself to be marginalized as a result. Still razor-sharp wit. Still some incredible, brilliant commentary. But when push came to shove, he could be dismissed as a liberal whiner. Which I consider a real shame.

null

Why does a satirist/comedian have to avoid picking a side?

Feb 12, 2015, 12:16 PM

Stewart isn't a journalist and has never claimed to be one. At least he's honest about where he comes from.

He does a great job of lambasting (sorry, landblasting) Obama, Dems, and other news sources as well. His slamming of CNN is some of the best media criticism out there.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Stewart was best on his own late night show years ago

Feb 12, 2015, 1:06 PM

that came on after Arsenio Hall got clipped.

He was pretty funny and got drunk, on set, a lot. I think thats what eventually took him off the air.

He doesn't have to, clearly. He is the most successful

Feb 12, 2015, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Why does a satirist/comedian have to avoid picking a side? ]

satirist of our generation and he clearly picked a side. I'm saying that, by picking a team, he limited his impact. I remember watching him back when Justice Department was tapping reporter's phone lines and the IRS was deciding elections...it was a "Come on, man! We're better than this!" as well as being angry because it made it harder now to just dismiss all those "Conspiracy theorists". If it had been Republicans it would have been weeks of absolute attacks. This is his legacy. He chose to be partisan. It doesn't mean he was ALWAYS bashing Republicans or praising Democrats, but he was partisan enough to undermine his position when holding Republicans accountable and neutering himself when holding Democrats accountable.

null

He's clearly liberal...

Feb 12, 2015, 3:05 PM

But that isn't really surprising given his field.

I don't think he gives Dems much of a free pass, though. He's been pretty pointed towards them in the past.

Agree to disagree!

Feb 12, 2015, 3:35 PM

His approach and demeanor toward the Democrats, in aggregate, is profoundly different to me.

null

Re: He's clearly liberal...

Feb 12, 2015, 4:07 PM [ in reply to He's clearly liberal... ]

in other news, conservatives just launched their own comedy network.

https://sarahpalinchannel.com/

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's comedy, so who cares?....

Feb 12, 2015, 4:47 PM [ in reply to He doesn't have to, clearly. He is the most successful ]

I don't watch his show all that often for whatever reason, but I think it's a great show. Every time I watch I wonder why I don't watch it more.

I care. He's much more than a comedian. He's a major

Feb 12, 2015, 4:50 PM

influencer. So I care from that perspective. I also care because I think he's brilliant and the decision to be partisan undermined a lot of his abilities.

null

Folks that are influenced by a comedian...

Feb 12, 2015, 5:05 PM

are just going to be influenced by something else stupid if that guy isn't there, so I tend not to get worked up about it.

Calling him a Comedian doesn't make it so.

Feb 12, 2015, 5:07 PM

Or, I should say, implying that he is only a comedian doesn't make it so. I'd say that, roughly, 100% of the liberals I know use his show to bolster and validate their political positions.

null

Ok...and? If you want to get worked up about how liberals...

Feb 12, 2015, 5:15 PM

get their "information"...go for it.

Okay, wait. I'm not "worked up". I'm discussing the role

Feb 13, 2015, 9:00 AM

Jon Stewart played in modern politics and society. I have an opinion...it just differs from yours. I'm on a message board discussing it. I'm not throwing things around the room and as far as I can recall, I never said that I didn't like Jon Stewart. I heap praise on him. I'm just saying that I think he made a bad decision, or lacked the discipline to stay neutral on politics, and it undermined the overall impact he COULD have had.

Please don't kid yourself that Jon Stewart solely wanted to make people laugh. Yes, he definitely wanted to be funny, but he wanted to make an impact. Otherwise he wouldn't have gone on shows like Crossfire (or whatever it was called) and lament the format. He wanted to create change. And good for him. Early on, he was the scourge of all politicians and media. Somewhere along the line he became much more partisan.

null

There are plenty of funny conservatives who influence people

Feb 12, 2015, 6:57 PM [ in reply to I care. He's much more than a comedian. He's a major ]

........... well, maybe not.

Of course there is.***

Feb 13, 2015, 9:00 AM

null

Yeah like Dennis Miller, oh wait his career tanked when he..

Feb 13, 2015, 6:47 PM

all of a sudden became a right winger. His short lived show on CNBC had 0.0 rating.

Man, I loved Dennis Miller. One of the most painful things

Feb 16, 2015, 11:35 AM

I have ever seen was when he started appearing on Bill O'Reilly. It was like putting a Ferrari with a Ford Fiesta and telling them to go as fast as possible. The Ferrari is in agony.

null

Re: Why does a satirist/comedian have to avoid picking a side?

Feb 16, 2015, 12:26 PM [ in reply to Why does a satirist/comedian have to avoid picking a side? ]

At least he picked the best side. Plus, he is not, has never been, and I dare say that he will never be a whiner as someone incorrectly posted. The tea party is the party for whiners and unbridled Obama hate for over 6 years now. They will, I predict, whine for many more years if we last long. The world is in a mess and that means we need non-partisanship not whining.

Because of your need to be made to feel superior? Or bc...

Feb 12, 2015, 4:37 PM [ in reply to Stuff like this... ]

"Watch Jon Stewart DESTROY racist homophobic Christian GOP science-denying writer of obscure pamphlets!!"

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder if one day...

Feb 13, 2015, 9:21 AM

The technology will exist to give people a mental evaluation before they are allowed to post to message boards. If it does, it may be a sad day, because we'll no longer have any rambling, non-sequitur posts like yours.

Oh, but to answer your question, I don't need Jon Stewart to feel superior. I just read most of the posts in here for that. ;)

Re: I wonder if one day...

Feb 16, 2015, 1:05 PM

The only person that I am superior is the person who falsely boasts of his superiority. Having posted that, I claim only that I feel, deep within myself, that I have the correct position in politics. I am a booster of Democratic philosophy. My vote is my proof. Regards and Go Tigers.

maybe they'll bring Kilborn back he was much better

Feb 11, 2015, 7:52 PM

jon stewart is just such a wuss. Everything about him says poozie.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: maybe they'll bring Kilborn back he was much better

Feb 11, 2015, 8:07 PM

Who let King in the Lounge?? Who left the ### door open??!!!

Nobody watched the show when Kilborn was on***

Feb 12, 2015, 7:18 PM [ in reply to maybe they'll bring Kilborn back he was much better ]

Think Fox was alluding to....

Feb 12, 2015, 8:02 AM

the fact that Jordan has the BALLS to go after ISIS?

Of course that's what they mean. Again, Stewart knows that

Feb 12, 2015, 1:35 PM

but also knows that he can act like Fox News is insane and his audience will devour it that night and slap each other on the back about it the next day. Again, his decision to be partisan in his approach to the show is in my opinion the biggest shame of his career. Now, he might say that liberalism is the greatest thing since slice bread and who cares about holding everyone accountable if he can get more people to vote Democrat. And that's fine...in that case he's one of the best propagandists of our generation. Something tells me that that title would be a bit of a gut punch to Stewart, though.

null

Stewart is not trying to get "people to vote democrat"

Feb 12, 2015, 3:41 PM

He's trying to get people to see the absurdity in news and politics. Something we all agree on.

Fox, on the other hand, has an agenda that it carries from its news shows through to its commentary shows. They try to influence viewers on issues and create the dialogue. They would be better classified as propagandists, whereas Stewart is the one pointing out the propaganda. That doesn't make him a propagandist.

On this issue, watch the piece again. Fox portrays Obama as both a Muslim dictator/king AND an ineffectual, incompetent leader unlike the King of Jordan (who is a Muslim dictator) or Putin who is "czar" in mindset. They talk so much about freedom (naming their dog "freedom") yet compliment the "leadership" of dictators of the world. Why? Because those leaders aren't Obama(or a lib). At the same time they show a graphic that shows that the US has carried most of the weight against ISIS, they are criticizing Obama for not being like the King of Jordan and going after ISIS. I'm surprised Stewart didn't show Dubya in his flight suit which looks exactly like what King Jordan tried to do with his picture. Those images are propaganda and Fox loves that stuff.

If they aren't a propagandist organization, then they are woefully incompetent at their jobs of knowing and disseminating the news.

MSNBC would be just as bad if anyone actually watched their channel, and Stewart has gone after CNBC (the pinnacle of his career I think) and CNN on a regular basis. It's just that FOX is just so good at how bad they are (and jon skews lib so FOX is seen more absurd) at being a News organization that they almost force Stewart to comment.

TL;DR If Fox meant to say that Jordan has the balls to go after ISIS and not the US, then they are either incredibly stupid or have an agenda they want to portray that is just as stupid. Stewart knows this and rightfully poked fun.

Agree with that---doubt a very high % of his audience

Feb 12, 2015, 4:03 PM

votes anyway...

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

nice***

Feb 12, 2015, 4:19 PM

Re: Stewart is not trying to get "people to vote democrat"

Feb 12, 2015, 10:02 PM [ in reply to Stewart is not trying to get "people to vote democrat" ]

At least, Fox has not been under scrutiny like NYT and NBC for making up news stories.

nah, just being sued for it...***

Feb 12, 2015, 10:41 PM

What's the problem with this clip?

Feb 13, 2015, 9:07 AM [ in reply to Of course that's what they mean. Again, Stewart knows that ]

He takes direct quotes from Fox News pundits praising Abdullah, Fattah el-Sisi, and Putin and desiring for Obama to be more like them.

These men are not good men nor the kind of leaders anyone who claims to love freedom should want as their leaders.

Stewart points out the absurdity, which is blatantly obvious. He also makes an extremely valid point that if Obama were like those men, Fox News would be the first place to shut down.

So what's wrong here? Fox News is insane. He proves it with their own words. A person has serious problems with the principles of America if they want Obama to be like one of those three men.

Re: Think Fox was alluding to....

Feb 12, 2015, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Think Fox was alluding to.... ]

Ohhhh, so Fox just assumes that its viewers know ZERO about the King of Jordan other than the absurd "Clint Eastwood" description they're selling?

Probably a super-safe assumption.

- Jonathan Swift

Replies: 44
| visibility 584
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic