Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Studies Keep Pilling On... (Sub-Concussions)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 39
| visibility 1

The Studies Keep Pilling On... (Sub-Concussions)

Aug 7, 2019, 4:46 PM

https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-08/aaft-fhh080519.php

Future of tackle football doesn't look good.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Studies Keep Pilling On... (Sub-Concussions)

Aug 7, 2019, 4:53 PM

i'm sure there are studies showing that just being around "toxic masculinity" injures the brain.
being masculine will need to be banned, for everyone's sake.
and then, utopia.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Dude, there are 62 genders. What will the loss of one

Aug 7, 2019, 6:51 PM

actually mean?

Does that mean Bruce Jenner

Aug 7, 2019, 7:10 PM [ in reply to Re: The Studies Keep Pilling On... (Sub-Concussions) ]

Will be studied? That should be...riveting......

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does that mean Bruce Jenner

Aug 8, 2019, 1:10 AM

Groce

A completely rational response to a scientific study.***

Aug 7, 2019, 8:00 PM [ in reply to Re: The Studies Keep Pilling On... (Sub-Concussions) ]

Re: A completely rational response to a scientific study.***

Aug 8, 2019, 7:43 AM

aren't trump supporters fun?

Re: A completely rational response to a scientific study.***

Aug 11, 2019, 10:42 AM

^^^ this guy doesn’t know how to use a urinal because he pees sitting down.

watching left wing media damages the brain***

Aug 7, 2019, 8:34 PM [ in reply to Re: The Studies Keep Pilling On... (Sub-Concussions) ]

Aug 7, 2019, 5:01 PM

Its a dangerous game, people have the option to not play as they always have.

There is a demand for it, the minority who want to see it go away aren't fans to begin with they are just pushing an agenda. Now its a movement to enact great change. Maybe they will kill the NCAA and NFL, but another league will sprout up given the demand is there to play and to spectate IN SPITE of the dangers. Well, that is if we are still a free people.

Aug 7, 2019, 5:05 PM

I think the NFL will survive the longest - a private organization. But the NCAA is going to have its hands full with lawsuits and ethical dilemmas in the future. No way middle schools, high schools and colleges (institutions that are created to developed brains/minds) will be able to continue providing the sport for much longer in the future. It is a free country, but we still have to wear seat-belts and can't smoke cigarettes on public grounds.

Aug 7, 2019, 7:06 PM

You technically "don't have to"! You have to if you don't want to be fined.

The thing is: as stated above - you don't have to watch football if you think it's too dangerous. You don't have to play football if you think it's too dangerous!
People who hate football for whatever reason - are basically on a high horse using "PLAYER SAFETY AS THE TROJAN HORSE"!
Nobody is falling for it.
How long have we known if you take a job in a mine - you may have cave-ins? Since mining began!
How long have the dangers of cigarette smoking been out? Before I was born in the 70's.
How long have the stats been out about not wearing seat belts? Yet, people choose to not wear them everyday.
Drugs? Been a danger to human bodies and known danger since the beginning. Yet, people choose to abuse them.

**People want what they want and are willing to: "put themselves through whatever to get it"!
People who talk football doomsday - need to see prohibition memoirs. Those people thought: "i am saving people from themselves"!
Guess what happened? People said, " explicit you! I don't need no dang saving, now leave me alone"! To the point they were willing to suffer prison time. They were willing to drink a substance made in some who knows how sanitary still for it.

People who hate the game will push for it - they had just better be ready for people to push back!

***As a Marine - everytime I read these talks about the future of football; I can't help but say! "Why aren't people doing studies and trying to kill the idea of war"! You don't think any of them ( I did) knew the dangers of joining? They did. If you don't; when you are 18, 19, 20, etc. and you are filling out a last will and testament and power-of-attorneys for when you die - it sobers you up real fast! That's what these studies need to be focused on; not a game!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and motor cycle helmets, and seatbelts, and

Aug 7, 2019, 7:18 PM

cockfights, and cocaine, and....

and everything else you didn't have to do if you didn't want to until the government said... nope.. now you cant even if you want to.

political scientists have been trying to stop war for years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Aug 8, 2019, 2:32 AM [ in reply to Re: The Studies Keep Pilling On... (Sub-Concussions) ]

Never gonna happen .

One reason is the magnitude of the sport . Another is the history of the game . The third and probably tightest lock on longevity of college football is the absolutely perverse amount of money generated by it's existence .

They'll do their studies , file things and cause court hearings ...maybe even congressional hearings .
End game will be a polite dismissal ... and just in time for Sportscenter .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Yep, i think it's just a matter of time before middle and

Aug 8, 2019, 8:17 AM [ in reply to Re: The Studies Keep Pilling On... (Sub-Concussions) ]

and high schools really start dropping football.

There is no doubt that the days are numbered

Aug 7, 2019, 6:54 PM

For tackle football. Will flag take the place. Tackle football won’t exist in 25 years.

Tell that to boxing and mma.***

Aug 8, 2019, 7:59 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

and

Aug 8, 2019, 8:05 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: and

Aug 9, 2019, 4:37 PM

Exactly. Soccer is the one I still can't understand. The 2 things that sports has learned needs to change from the last 3 decades: 1) number of hits to head and 2) hydration is critical. So what does soccer do?? "You really need to smack this over-inflated ball around with your head EVERY opportunity you get! Water??? Ummm no, no water. Not until halftime. Or after the game. For no one."

I can say this because my daughter played club and school soccer and was one concussion away from getting the neuro mandated retirement.

We should outlaw cars too

Aug 7, 2019, 7:07 PM

cars cause injury and even death

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We should outlaw cars too

Aug 7, 2019, 8:09 PM

Much more than football

Re: We should outlaw cars too

Aug 7, 2019, 8:35 PM

Silvanus - isn't that the truth.

They aren't trying to "save people" from their cars! I promise when whoever has the time/money to pull the numbers - the data will tell - cars have killed far more humans than football!

But, nobody is trying to go there!
Add the following to the list too!
Cigarettes
Drugs
Alcohol
Doing Police or Fire Fighter work
Coal Mining
Boxing - amazing nobody goes after this sport with the same zeal as they attack football. Why? Less big sponsors. Less popular with novice fans. Less of a splash and statement. B/C those people don't have genuine concern for the safety of players: "just an agenda"!

Aug 8, 2019, 2:24 AM

Voluntary violence is protected under the constitution .

It's there , I don't know which clause or whatever ...but it's a thing .

Ask Bob.

DB23

I don't get the purpose of these studies. It's like global

Aug 8, 2019, 7:55 AM

Warming.. it's a thing.. it's true. There is nothing to prove.

As for the future of football... boxers have been around for centuries. The nfl is safe.

The little leagues are in threat.. but to be fair.. people are making this decision., mor the government.

Flag rec ball seems to be growing while tackle football is shrinking. Parents, not ther government, will kill youth takle football.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

There's just going to be a big domino effect

Aug 8, 2019, 8:22 AM

Middle and high schools at some point are going to either eliminate football programs entirely or form flag football leagues. The major universities will resist change because of the demand for the sport and the obscene amounts of money they make from it, but their player pool to recruit from will shrink dramatically and media pressure (and possibly lawsuits) will really begin to mount once the high schools start shuttering their programs. Smaller colleges that already operate in the red for football will much more willingly give it up.

Re: There's just going to be a big domino effect

Aug 9, 2019, 4:06 PM

I agree with you. What's interesting is that there are colleges just now opening football programs. Football has never been more popular (in terms of number of college teams). If I were on the board of directors, I would advise against building a stadiums/adding major stadium amenities.

I have to respectfully disagree with some of the other posters...once one lawsuit goes through and sets a precedent at the youth/college level... the sport at the lower levels could quickly evaporate. I think the NFL will be protected (albeit, watered down) for a long time. Football has been a cultural phenomenon for the past 50 years but once some of the lower leagues vanish, the attraction will not be as strong to the upper level.

Unfortunately, the loss of Clemson football would be devastating to the local economy as it would be in Norman, Oklahoma and other small towns where football is the only show in town.

JMO

Football Drives The Bus!

Aug 9, 2019, 6:16 PM

What everyone is saying - understand - I don't exactly disagree with. I agree 100% parents b/c of all the talk of concussions are choosing to put their kids in other sports. So, that could kill the game. But, not as fast as some of the predictions I am seeing!

Little Leagues and High Schools - mostly High School regarding the following - DEPEND ON TACKLE FOOTBALL TO COVER "NON-REVENUE" SPORTS BUDGET"!
Look at athletic departments budgets and what % of it's income is generated by tackle football. It's absolutely critical to get those football gate$$$$$$. It's how you generate money for cross country team, golf, volleyball, etc. All of which need uniforms, have to travel, have coaches they have to pay.
Even a bad football team can get people in the stands. People love football; even if their team is just average. The good programs are far better off.
You can put a lot more people in the average H.S. football stadium than you can a gym. And people don't attend many of the other events like that; unless they are family or a fan of that sport.
In short, there is more at play than just not wanting to pay higher insurance rates!
I'll say this though - I tried to find(failed) a link to a similar thread on a H.S. Football thread someone started 12 years ago! 12 years ago! Twelve!

With the improvement of the rules and equipment - and something no one has mentioned I don't think - the game has never been safer! I still like this version of football. And am willing to pay for it. I mean, "concussion protocol" what was that 12 years ago or longer? A coach has no say in whether a player can be taken out the game today!
These rules plus the rule changes in the game and better understanding of concussions and better equipment - I would allow my son to play football! I've seen and observed enough over the years by watching/reading - I feel I could diagnose any signs of a concussion.

What about Rugby? Australian rules football?

Aug 9, 2019, 6:25 PM

Horse racing? https://www.nationalgeographic.com/animals/2019/05/horse-racing-risks-deaths-sport/

When will it end?

Unless you run out of people willing to risk it - It's hard for me to see it coming to an end anytime soon. Same as racing cars - a sport in which you can lose your life in an instant. Same as X-games - oh yeah, those guys who pull off the gnarly tricks were not always good. And even the good ones bang their heads, break bones, have accidents! Down hill sking.

All the high profile studies are only on football - BECAUSE OF THE MONEY it generates! Which is the reason it will endure. Start digging into some other sports and you will see their ugly secrets too.

You all think Rodeo's will be around? You know how many cowboys get concussions every year? https://www.wyomingnews.com/news/local_news/concussions-a-major-issue-in-the-rodeo-world/article_5d8c6ed8-7421-11e7-85c1-ab63c04ee4d4.html

But, because there isn't as much "ATTENTION" to the rodeo. Or as much money - you don't hear or see threads about the future of that and other sports.

Re: What about Rugby? Australian rules football?

Aug 11, 2019, 10:45 AM

Well I think the major difference is that there aren't rodeo's being performed or encouraged by state officials/state employees on state grounds. For example, the sport of football was never included in Thomas Green Clemson's vision for the University. It was just something that took off an represents a great recruiting tool for prospective students.

Aug 11, 2019, 12:13 PM

Philo_tiger - l think you are right to a degree. The lower level leagues are in Jeopardy. But, you are missing badly on the demand for the sport.
No study needed to be performed to know football is potentially life altering dangerous. Yet, people play it every year.
See you in 10 God willing to discuss this same thing. Told someone the same thing 12 years ago and football has "gained" popularity since.
***Waivers and limited liability clauses will become huge for lower levels of football. Unless a player proves he was never informed proper way to hit or not provided proper equipment or was never informed of the danger of the sport - the opponents of tackle football have a steep up hill battle to get around. Practice and introduction to football will be recorded and filed away. If someone tries it, the video is entered into evidence. Waiver read in court, etc. No guarantee - but most people are not going to award someone some sick amount of money given those items were presented to the person trying to sue. And to protect themselves, schools need to document like crazy. Officially putting it out there that, "football can harm your mind and body" up front.
People already know that - people still sign up
And will continue to sign up.

Aug 11, 2019, 1:16 PM

HillRockTiger

You could be on to something. I think the term is "informed consent." At the same time, we have to wait until our youngsters are 18 before they can sign the dotted line before entering the military. I think this brain injury issue will dominate the media spotlight for the future. Even if the sport somehow continues for the next 50-100 years, it will not be without a black cloud surrounding it.

As always, good discussion...

Re: There's just going to be a big domino effect

Aug 11, 2019, 10:21 AM [ in reply to There's just going to be a big domino effect ]

I think you hit the nail on the head.

There is already a movement in certain states to ban tackle football until the age of 14. That would eliminate the sport until high school. But, the way our country operates it will likely get pushed to the age of 18 (Bennett Omalu - lead brain pathologist is already suggesting this) in the next few decades. Think of how that will influence recruiting for college tackle football. If the sport of tackle still exist, recruiters will be making decisions on players who have never strapped on pads.

The real question is - at what rate will people still watch flag football? 10%? 25%? 50%? That's a lot of unfulfilled TV contracts and a lot of empty stadiums. This will economically influence a host of things, as football represents the keystone species for all other sports at the major D1 level.

As I am writing this reply, another former Ohio State player completed a suicide... he is requesting that his brain be studied for CTE.

More to come...

U don't have to be a Dr. To figure that out***

Aug 8, 2019, 8:19 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: U don't have to be a Dr. To figure that out***

Aug 9, 2019, 4:16 PM

I understand that the LSMFT people voted out tackle football in favor of tickle football.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Football now being indicted over past failures!

Aug 10, 2019, 2:57 PM

OP - if you and other people are correct!

I just wonder what will happen to the: Band members, Cheerleaders, vendors who depend on the income from parking spots to t-shirts, jersey makers, vending opportunities for various groups?
We don't like to think of it and we act like it isn't but it is: "but it is a business" for a bunch of people who will never play! Flag football would never gain enough traction as in my opinion accidental head butts in that game would be the next scapegoat cause someone champions! And, again, not saying it won't or that the concerns are not valid; just that people choose to do dangerous stuff all the time. I just don't see it changing enough anytime soon given all the information we know about concussions/CTE and rules changes and new helmet technology.
The game now is incorrectly being charged with yesterday's blunders and bad judgement! Some of it was just ignorance and some was neglect! I think if you look back 10 years from today people would see the data where the up-tick in knowledge caused less concussions.

I remember the kid from The Citadel - Marc Buoniconti - was paralyzed on the football field. It horrified the nation! Some people called for the barbaric game to be dis-banned. Some mom's said, "I will never let my child play"! Rule changes came and we see less and less incidents. knowledge is spread and more and more people are there to correct bad behavior. See you in 10 years God Willing and let's all check the data about the original topic!

Re: Football now being indicted over past failures!

Aug 10, 2019, 3:14 PM

What will we do with these huge stadiums if high school and colleges abandon their football programs?

The Democrat and Republican politicians are always at each others throats. why not invite (force) them to come to the stadiums and settle their differences on the field by current football rules. I bet they could find solutions to our countries problems real quick if this was an option.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football now being indicted over past failures!

Aug 11, 2019, 2:33 PM

I don't know.

Many programs around the country are still investing heavily in their infrastructure:

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/news/2018/09/20/design-firm-tapped-for-175m-expansion-of-ut.html

From my data, Texas brings in ~130 million a year from football...so maybe 175 million isn't as big a figure as it seems.

Dis-banned? Is that a word? :)***

Aug 10, 2019, 4:04 PM [ in reply to Football now being indicted over past failures! ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dis-banned? Is that a word? :)***

Aug 10, 2019, 4:31 PM

Sorry professor!

Aug 11, 2019, 10:43 AM

Everybody Chill!!!! If pro bull riding is still around, football ain’t going anywhere!

Replies: 39
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic