Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
There is a true Clemson legend that perhaps we don’t talk
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 32
| visibility 1

There is a true Clemson legend that perhaps we don’t talk

Oct 30, 2017, 9:02 PM

About or honor enough. Long before I came down with the incurable Clemson Fever that I have had for almost sixty years there was a wonderful gentleman closely associated with the Tigers who few of you know a lot about and probably even fewer ever met. Times were so very different when I entered Clemson in the fall of 1961 that it is unbelievable for me to think that the university is where it is today when I compare it in my mind to those great times.
Yet, in other ways, it has changed very little. That “home/family” atmosphere that we hear so much today existed in the ‘ole days as well. A little different because the enrollment was probably 98% male
A lot of problems exist today that were never thought of in my early years at Clemson. One of the proudest things I can recall from those years just prior to the Vietnam war when unrest was very prominent on many campuses was the fact that a chapter of SDS failed at Clemson. I’m sure that our military heritage had a lot to do with that. Also during that time Harvey Grant enrolled at Clemson. I could write for hours about that event but the bottom line is ... no one cared!
We were all in this together and graduating was the number one priority. It was expected by everyone, the press in particular, that redneck Clemson would be another Alabama or Mississippi etc happening.. .. Not even close my friends. Clemson weathered all those storms. The Wars, the social unrest, integration...... and even co-.eds! I’m proud and I hope that you are.
We are still faced with protests regarding a lot of these early issues but things will work out for our Tigers.

As I thought about my early and wonderful years at Clemson I though of the man I mentioned in the beginning.
While a Clemson student I got to know an Afro-American gentleman who served and loved the Tigers as no other.
What a wonderful and understanding man he was and I am disappointed that he hasn’t been honored as much as he has. I fear the newer generation doesn’t know what an asset it was to have Herman McGee on our side during these years of growth and awakening.

I know there are tnetters out there who will say AMEN to my lengthy post. Please excuse

GO TIGERS

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is a true Clemson legend that perhaps we don’t talk

Oct 30, 2017, 9:04 PM

Gant

Met Herman McGee & watched Harvey Gantt enroll from afar..

Oct 30, 2017, 9:10 PM

and both fantastic men & Clemson Gentlemen!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Met Herman McGee & watched Harvey Gantt enroll from afar..

Oct 31, 2017, 11:26 AM

Amen!

Me Too!

Oct 30, 2017, 9:23 PM [ in reply to Re: There is a true Clemson legend that perhaps we don’t talk ]

............arrived at Clemson in the Fall of 1964.

They gave me a $2 hair cut, a Rat Hat and a rifle. Beat that!!!

Social? War? Economic Issues? .....NONE!

Yes! They gave us all a Draft number for an opportunity to defend this country!

...and that my Friends is "WHY" the Blue Ridge Yawns is Greatness!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2017, 11:51 AM [ in reply to Re: There is a true Clemson legend that perhaps we don’t talk ]

any kin to Elmo?

Oct 30, 2017, 9:10 PM

Amen to everything you said. I was there when Herman was there. Just tell me where to send a check for a bronze statue of Herman ...... He deserves one!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2017, 9:12 PM

Couldn’t agree more and I have had that same thought.

Always talk about renaming Tillman Hall and here is a great opportunity to really make amends.

Oct 30, 2017, 9:12 PM

Amen, from a 1971 grad (and 1973 Masters'). Thanks, Herman.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ok how about some background info on Herman McGee***

Oct 30, 2017, 9:14 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ok how about some background info on Herman McGee***

Oct 30, 2017, 9:22 PM

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=209600610

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thanks***

Oct 30, 2017, 9:23 PM

Re: thanks***

Oct 30, 2017, 6:27 PM

Thanks for posting that. That story is only the beginning of what Herman meant to clemson men

Somewhere in my vast display of Clemson “things” I have a picture of Herman’s orange, silk tigerpaw casket!
What a guy.

Oct 30, 2017, 10:47 PM [ in reply to Re: ok how about some background info on Herman McGee*** ]

That is an awsome story. I’m sure he carried many secrets and tales with him

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Oct 30, 2017, 10:51 PM [ in reply to Re: ok how about some background info on Herman McGee*** ]

http://www.clemsontigers.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=210934647

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Oct 30, 2017, 9:22 PM [ in reply to ok how about some background info on Herman McGee*** ]

I can tell you a lot but try google. He’s got to be there.

Early trainer for coach Howard. He once taped a badly sprained ankle for me while I was waiting in the infirmary for attention. I could have played the next day ....... if I hadn’t been 5’6” and 130 pounds!!!

Oct 30, 2017, 9:27 PM [ in reply to ok how about some background info on Herman McGee*** ]

I can tell you a lot but try google. He’s got to be there.

Early trainer for coach Howard. He once taped a badly sprained ankle for me while I was waiting in the infirmary for attention. I could have played the next day ....... if I hadn’t been 5’6” and 130 pounds!!!

Proud of Herman and Harvey, I rode my bicycle to watch Gant

Oct 30, 2017, 9:18 PM

being enrolled, wanting to see all the famous newscasters there. They thought there would be a riot like there was in Mississippi, when Meredith enrolled exactly a year before. This was the first integration since Meredith, however it could not have been more peaceful, and look at Harvey's awesome accomplishments since Clemson! Gotta be proud of them both TIGER LEGENDS!

Thanks for the reminder. You never know

Oct 30, 2017, 9:33 PM

whose life you may impact by simply being available to listen.
Let's try to be a little more like Herman tomorrow.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2017, 9:45 PM

I don't remember for sure but believe the lining in Herman's casket was Orange. He was inducted into the Clemson Athletic Hall of Fame, I believe, in 1976. Truly a Clemson legend.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2017, 10:19 PM

The street address of Tillman Hall is Harvey Gantt Circle.

Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it. George Santayana

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Yes, " The street address of Tillman Hall is Harvey Gantt C"

Oct 30, 2017, 10:49 PM

The street address of Tillman Hall is Harvey Gantt Circle.

Herman and Lucia McGee were two of the finest people

Oct 30, 2017, 10:37 PM

who ever lived....and Herman was as devoted to Clemson College as one man could be.Both loved kids and were very religious.

Just ask any of the players from that era. Herman more or less WAS the athletic dept.

I agree, more should be done to honor Herman and Lucia

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember when I first met Herman, probably February 1971

Oct 30, 2017, 11:01 PM

I had badly sprained my knee, playing intramural basketball. About a week later, I thought maybe a could play if I get it taped up. At the time, the athletic training/weight room was nothing more than a room off the back side of Fike(quite a change from then to now, eh?). I decided to see if I could get someone to tape my knee before our intramural game.
I stick my head in the door and the first person I see was Herman McGee. I asked him if someone could possibly tape my knee, fully expecting, if I got it taped at all, he would pass me of to some grad assistant. To my surprise, Mr. McGee says, "Sure, get over here on this bench."

Man, I had never seen a pair of hands move so fast, taping a knee. Seems like he had it fully taped in about 20 seconds. I thanked him profusely and went out and played on it, without any trouble. He was truly a wonderful man.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2017, 12:00 AM

Thanks for posting. I never had the chance to meet him, although I remember him being well regarded by all. Thanks for the link, I learned a lot.

since others have brought it up, most of the smooth integration of Clemson is due to the efforts of President RC Edwards and the integrity of Harvey Gantt. Three legendary Clemson men.

Oct 31, 2017, 1:10 AM

My Father and Uncle played Football during 1947-1954.
They could tell almost as many Herman stories as they could Coach Howard.
He certainly took care of the athletes and coaches' needs for so many years.
I agree that he deserves recognition and be honored in some way.
Name the Locker room after him and put him in HOF/Ring of Honor.
He touched more lives than any of the coaches through the years.

Oct 31, 2017, 8:45 AM

If the present staff doesnt tell the players about him and his impact they are missing a great teaching opportunity. He embodied so much of what we aspire too. Dr Edwards shook thousands of hands at graduation but Herman had life impact on thousands

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2017, 11:45 AM [ in reply to Re: There is a true Clemson legend that perhaps we don’t talk ]

The training room in the West End Zone is named The Herman McGee Training Room.

Oct 31, 2017, 9:05 AM

great story!

"The one who thinks we can and the one who thinks we can't are both right! Which one are you, son? Which one are you, son?"

Oct 31, 2017, 11:43 AM

I came in as a football manager in 1962 so I witnessed everything you mentioned, and if you played football, took care of you. Herman was one of the first persons I met that August when no one was on campus but the football team. One of the next was General Bob Jones who was my brother's (class of '42) CO in WWII. Then in Military Science, I met Lt. Col. Rick Robbins.

I learned more valuable lessons from Herman and Col. Robbins than in any class I attended at Clemson. When i got the issue of the Orange & White that said Herman had died, I cried like a baby. It was like losing a family member.

Oct 31, 2017, 11:50 AM

One more thing - while I was there, Herman was inducted into Tiger Brotherhood.

Oct 31, 2017, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Re: There is a true Clemson legend that perhaps we don’t talk ]

Football manager - did you happen to know a guy named John “ hoss “ Hostetler who played football around 1964?

Although I totally agree about Herman and Lucia McGee..

Oct 31, 2017, 11:51 AM

(two of the nicest people I've ever met) and Harvey Gantt(not Grant) who was a truly beautiful man inside and out, I must admit some curiosity about your remark about " that a chapter of SDS failed at Clemson", having known both Ligi and Norton.

Replies: 32
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic