Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So, does the country NEED college football this fall...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

So, does the country NEED college football this fall...

Apr 3, 2020, 8:15 AM

...the same way that we NEEDED to resume baseball after 9-11?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So, does the country NEED college football this fall...

Apr 3, 2020, 8:19 AM

They didn't have a virus then. There was no reason to cancel baseball then. My life would be way more fulfilled if I could watch football this fall. I think football, if not a health hazzard, would be great for the psyche of the nation.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2020, 8:25 AM

I think you NAILED it. It is an emotional part of who we are that would help cement a return to "normalcy", if only until the return of the next ChiCom flu...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A need is something defined as a requirement to survive.

Apr 3, 2020, 8:27 AM

So, no.

You want it badly and that's OK.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, a need is something required, not necessarily for life.

Apr 3, 2020, 10:57 AM

e.g. "I need Clemson football to be happy."

So, yes [for many.]

That's your shortcoming, not mine.***

Apr 3, 2020, 10:59 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are varying degrees of needs

Apr 3, 2020, 11:12 AM [ in reply to A need is something defined as a requirement to survive. ]

One of which is economic. Many lives will be impacted across the country if there is not a football season and I don't just mean by "wanting to watch football."
I'm not going to go through all of the jobs that would be impacted because I'm sure it's been mentioned on here numerous times but to all of those people, football and sports in general is a need.

No it's not, and in this case it would be a decision...

Apr 3, 2020, 11:16 AM

of life & death that would prevent it from happening.

Sports can go away for ever & that's a really long time; people can & will make other choices in work, enjoyment, pass times et al.

There's no need there.

It's very easy to make these type of statements in a vacuum

Apr 3, 2020, 1:14 PM

Just state than an entire industry would go away and suddenly find other jobs. If we went with your simple definition of a need as being something being a requirement to survive, then what would remain?That's a slippery slope to determine what is essential to survive. We don't technically need computers, vehicles, restaurants, etc. to survive either.

It's easy because it's true.***

Apr 3, 2020, 1:20 PM

Wants & desires would remain and the reason it was included in my initial response.

Life will continue just fine without sports.

It's a fun debate

Apr 3, 2020, 1:31 PM

And one that could go for hours. I see where you're coming from and hopefully you see where I'm coming from.

Honestly, nothing personal, but no, you seem to come from

Apr 3, 2020, 1:38 PM

the position of the addict, that has convinced themselves they need another fix in order to live.

You want and desire football, sports et al of all kinds and that's OK, but it's not remotely a need.

Not sure why you're going to die on those breastworks, you don't have to do so, just say you'd rather have it, sports, than not.

Me, I stopped watching most professional sports long ago. Life went on long before college football, life will go on long after.

I get that many people are hoping Clemson football happens come fall. Nothing wrong with that.

This is one of the reasons I rarely engage on message boards

Apr 3, 2020, 2:11 PM

It's far too easy for people to make blanket statements and judgments from behind a keyboard. I'd much rather have a face to face discussion with someone.

I love Clemson football but that is not where the basis of my position comes from. I've worked in the sports, travel, and tourism industry for over 16 years. I'm not coming from a position of "addict." I'm not just saying we need college football back either. We need all of sports back when the time is right.

Again, there are many things we can sit back and say are not needed. It's all relative. Easy for you to sit back behind a keyboard and just say that they aren't. For people that work in a certain industry, I'm pretty sure they view their job as needed.

We say they are not needed because they are not.

Apr 3, 2020, 2:22 PM

Life happened for millions of years without many things on your list of needs. You're off, and whether my name is Mike or not, which it is, doesn't make you remotely correct.

Your creature comforts, desires, wants and what you're considering "must haves", are not needs. The ability to adapt is far more a need than sports and you seem intelligent enough that you will adapt without.

The notion you're dependent to something is addictive in nature. I get some people put a lot of their happiness in that realm, but if it goes away, you'll find something else. You chose a direction because something existed, you'll choose another when it doesn't and life will continue without.

It's simply not a need, and it's funny how natural selection has been stayed by modern convenience. Many seemingly would not survive in your world, but they will and you may surprise even yourselves.

I'm sure of it.

Right, and there is an endless list of other things as well

Apr 3, 2020, 3:48 PM

If you want to get down to the extreme basics of what is needed to survive, it's food and shelter. As you stated, life happened for a long time without many things. Everything else has come about from wants, desires, convenience, etc. From there it starts turning into a rabbit hole of what is truly needed versus what has become wants, convenience, innovation, culture, and more.

I have no doubt in my ability to adapt. I just think it's a slippery slope to simply make a blanket statement that "X is not needed" because where do you stop? The dominoes start to fall and very quickly.

Yes, there is and those are not needs either.

Apr 3, 2020, 4:25 PM

At worst you and others will be "inconvenienced".

And good, I'm glad I was right about you, but it's not a slippery slope, it's a word with real meaning & consequence.

Nothing wrong with the truth of it, nothing wrong with putting things & the world in proper order.

Apr 3, 2020, 11:09 AM

I don't need college football to be happy and could easily adjust to life without it this fall. This pandemic has been like a perspective check that hit me in the face like a brick.

That said, it would be a great sign of progress if events of this kind are deemed safe for the public by summer. I have doubts.

Right now, our nation is facing a challenge like no other. We must pull together and won this battle. Once that happens, Go Tigers!

I don't think we can have it with fans in the stadiums

Apr 3, 2020, 11:25 AM

But if the quick virus tests become readily available and are reliable, they could test everybody that needs to be at a game.

I just don't know how long before we are comfortable with the reliability. I've seen some reporting that the current US tests could be giving 30% false negatives, based on patients that have all the symptoms and are negative for flu also.

Re: I don't think we can have it with fans in the stadiums

Apr 3, 2020, 1:34 PM

I agree with this. I think best case scenario, realistically, is that we're able to have rapid testing available for teams, coaches and personnel, so that we can still have fully functioning games without the fans.

It really won't be that bad, it'll just be like watching a December bowl game every weekend

Re: I don't think we can have it with fans in the stadiums

Apr 3, 2020, 2:10 PM [ in reply to I don't think we can have it with fans in the stadiums ]

Archie,

I'm with you. I don't see how we get ready for crowds of 80 - 100 thousand without just begging for the virus to come back hard.

But if the 15 minute tests can become reliable, we could play the games relatively safely and put them on TV. I think this is the best we can hope for and i sure would like to see it.

If Coaches and ADs are not considering how to do this, they are dropping the ball.

For many, sports are NEEDED

Apr 3, 2020, 4:18 PM

I, for instance, am an Athletic Director for a governmental Rec Dept. With no sports...well, I don’t know about a job

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic