Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Let's hope we don't face UVa in the ACCCG
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Let's hope we don't face UVa in the ACCCG

Nov 11, 2019, 10:34 PM

I don't want their football team or fans to panic and start a stampede when they hear the cannon fire.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/university-of-virginia-cancels-21-gun-salute-from-veterans-day-ceremony

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are so many things I could say about them

Nov 11, 2019, 10:42 PM

and what they have done in recent years but I'll keep politics off the board.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's hope we don't face UVa in the ACCCG

Nov 11, 2019, 11:32 PM

If they keep the 21-gun salute as part of Memorial Day vigil, I'm personally okay with that...except that Memorial Day comes after school is out, and some of the poor dears will never witness a somber and respectful Memorial Day commemoration.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hate to say it, being a native Virginian with paternal

Nov 12, 2019, 6:12 AM

family members being both VT and UVA alumni, but I might have always liked our VT relatives better.

That is probably due to the wussiness of my UVA folks, even though I'd be reluctant to let them know it. lol.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UVA students are so smart

Nov 12, 2019, 6:20 AM

And at the same time so dumb.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Nov 12, 2019, 8:01 AM

Thanks for posting. Saw that and posted yesterday but it didn't show up. As a veteran I would like for us to present a 21 gun salute at halftime of championship game since it will be on Pearl Harbor Day.

I'll take a 21 point salute at the end of the first quarter.***

Nov 12, 2019, 8:02 AM

Nov 12, 2019, 8:15 AM

I agree with their decision as the 21 gun salute is an optional ... and exercising that option. THAT is the point of being OPTIONAL. They did not cancel the ceremony, so I don't see the issue.

I am sure the Campus Police are thankful they will not get a few hundred calls into dispatch reporting gunfire on campus. But here is the other reality, mass shooting are common enough that a lot of folks default to thinking that gunfire is likely an instance of domestic terrorism. Heck, when I used to work with LE for full-scale drills on campus (I worked on the evacuation/logistics side), we would get *real* calls there was a *real* shooter on campus. Ignore the 100 emails, text messages, etc for those in the area notifying about the full scale drill, we still have folks call in.

I even live near a firing range and it is amazingly common how often my neighbors will get worked up over it. It isn't an issue that it exist but there is no way to know if it is actual gunfire for the range or some idiot nearby.

What the "don't offend me culture" is missing...

Nov 12, 2019, 9:09 AM

Think about this from a vet's perspective (which I'll do my best as I am not one, but others here are)...

Out of all people, who do you think might be "triggered" the most by gunfire? I'll give you a hint - it's not college students who have heard it a few times in their lifetime and associate it with mass shootings. I'm pretty sure it's the vets who have lived through being hyper alert with gunfire time and time again.

Is the 21-gun salute startling? Absolutely. And it should be. It's a startling reminder of what the fallen have been through to give the triggered, don't offend me culture the right to complain about being triggered and offended.

So the next time students want to ban a 21-gun salute... their reaction should instead be "crap... that was startling... reminds me that these people died so I can now go complain about being startled"

Signed,
A Psychiatrist who Has Experience with PTSD Treatment

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What the "don't offend me culture" is missing...

Nov 12, 2019, 9:34 AM

You miss that this is not a "ban" but rather a option being exercised for an optional action at a ceremony. That is the point - why fuss over an entity exercising an option. It was a decision by other the ROTC and the provost. It was a wise decision given the factors they claimed they considered. This wasn't some student demanded ban.

FYI, I am from VA, went to HS with VT victims, attended graduate school at Clemson with former VT students there - (hint he hit the engineering building) and now work closely with LEO. Heck, I get to sit through a ALICE/AS regularly. For me, and the start of a few of those AS items "its just another day". Still, other folks are not as 'everyday' with gunfire nor with EM related thinking.

Don't assume that it is the "trigger" culture at work making demand but rather rational individuals deciding that discretion is the best given the environment. Rather that there are other much more pragmatic items to consider and that firing a weapon - even at a ceremony, can cause significant stain on a campus. Just from a dispatch logistics standpoint, you could have dispatch lines tied up and LEO chasing calls. You can't assume it is just the salute. There is little reason to pursue this option given any of the various alternatives. Memorial Day is different.

When is the last time you had to deal with a lockdown because someone thought an umbrella was a rifle. No joke, that crap is real.

Signed,
Someone who has done regular higher education emergency management, planning and training - normally factored around decision making behavior.

Actually, I would think that a psychiatrist would be more aware of the behavior that falls out from a "triggered" culture. It does not matter if it is "real" or viewed as real, the fallout of the decisions a person or group can make can be very dangerous.

All the Idjits had to do was make a campuswide

Nov 12, 2019, 9:31 AM

announcement just before the volleys began, that it was about to happen. Too much for them to pull off logistically, I guess. I sure hope none of those Snowflakes ever get into an actual military engagement where all Heyall breaks loose and NOBODY knows what is coming next. God save us all if that happens, because they sure won't be able to.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

what a bunch of freaking snowflakes! in the words of the

Nov 12, 2019, 9:37 AM

infamous buford t. justice "what is the world comin to?!"

Re: what a bunch of freaking snowflakes! in the words of the

Nov 12, 2019, 7:48 PM

Most college campuses are nothing like the real world.

Inasmuch as Clemson is, goodonya; but I'm sure many aspects of typical higher education cocooning interfere with real life at Clemson, too.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic