Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
McCaffery decision ... Clemson fans, how would you have felt
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 2,544

McCaffery decision ... Clemson fans, how would you have felt

Dec 19, 2016, 10:46 AM

How would you have felt as a Clemson fan, if Nuk Hopkins and Tajh Boyd had decided to skip that "meaningless" Chik-fil-a Bowl in 2012?

Just curious.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That wasn't Boyd's last game, right? Came back next year.

Dec 19, 2016, 10:50 AM

So it's a little different.

That said, the players should do whatever they want to do, whatever is best for them, personally. If that's to play, then play on. If it's to say goodbye, then godspeed. Those are interesting shoes they're in, and I'll never know what it's like to be in them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That wasn't Boyd's last game, right? Came back next year.

Dec 19, 2016, 10:51 AM

Same thing with Fournette. Both decisions were simply selfish.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are other perspectives...

Dec 19, 2016, 10:52 AM

What about future (or current) children of these athletes? With one signature in April, they can have their future and education taken care of. But I want to play in one last game, even though it may jeopardize that!!! Who's being selfish now...?

It's a personal decision, and every one is different.

Forget the team. It's all about me. Spurrier to a T.

Dec 19, 2016, 11:24 AM

So his decision to quit on the team is quite understandable, and commendable really. Thanks for the U of Suck perspective.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

You know you are having trouble in a debate...

Dec 19, 2016, 11:29 AM

When you randomly bring up Steve Spurrier. LOL.

The only people who can say anything about "quitting on the team" is the team. His coach is supporting his decision. I would bet the most supporting group of all on this would be his Stanford teammates. They, more than any of us, would understand the situation he is in.

Question was for Clemson fans, but ...

Dec 19, 2016, 10:56 AM [ in reply to That wasn't Boyd's last game, right? Came back next year. ]

But since you bring it up, Boyd was draft eligible same as Nuk. Both could have declined to play. Boyd was widely rumored to be entering the draft after his junior year.

If both declined to participate in that "meaningless" bowl game then it's quite possible that we are seeing a different Clemson program today.

Many believe that the outcome of that bowl game was the turning point in Clemson's fortunes under Dabo Swinney.

GREAT answer Prod!***

Dec 19, 2016, 10:58 AM [ in reply to That wasn't Boyd's last game, right? Came back next year. ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Need update on McCaff...

Dec 19, 2016, 10:51 AM

Has the 2015 #1 Heisman Runner-up declined to play in Chick?!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Crying shame if this becomes the new normal...

Dec 19, 2016, 10:54 AM

...first Fournette, now McCaffery. I get the "why", but it's a bad look bailing on your teammates that don't have the multi-million dollar payday to look forward to. Just my opinion.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

i think we see more of this in the future

the ND linebacker lost a lot of money falling out of the 1st round bc of his injury in the bowl game last year.

Fournette isn't playing in his Bowl game either.

If it starts becoming a problem and more high profile players do this...I wonder if we go away from Bowl games and begin focusing on a true 8 team playoff?

Re: i think we see more of this in the future

Dec 19, 2016, 11:05 AM

And yet, these kids still play in these totally meaningless all-star high school games like the Shrine Bowl, Under Armour, and Army ... most of the time after they've already got a scholarship in place with injury a possibility and and nothing to prove.

A serious injury in those games would almost certainly jeopardize both their college and pro careers.

Why do they go ahead and play then, but now start to blow off their final game as a college player?

Re: McCaffery decision ... Clemson fans, how would you have felt

This isn't about my feelings or yours.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Well, we just disagree, then.***

Dec 19, 2016, 10:57 AM

Re: McCaffery decision ... Clemson fans, how would you have felt***

Dec 19, 2016, 11:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: McCaffery decision ... Clemson fans, how would you have felt***

Dec 19, 2016, 11:16 AM

not when you just got tipped off that Santa is bringing you the first 4 seasons of Big Bang Theory on VHS for Christmas, NO WAY.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wouldn't have been upset. I would want them to play..

Dec 19, 2016, 11:16 AM

but I wouldn't have cared too much in the big picture. As of the way things are today though, I wouldn't care even slightly if anyone decided to not play in any of the other bowls that aren't the playoff. None of those bowls matter much, especially whatever bowl Stanford is playing. He is making a great call.

Whats better???

Dec 19, 2016, 11:33 AM

Playing a bowl game missing players that are injured ??? Players that got a walking boot to
wear on the sidelines so people wouldn't criticize him .

OR players that are dreaming of the NFL during the bowl game and missing the tackles , dropping
passes , fumbling ???

I would rather a player borrow a boot and say his ankle is twisted than watch a bowl game
where players are going through the motions but , you know they can play better .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True. I wuld rather just play some redshirts or some...

Dec 19, 2016, 11:36 AM

players that will be returnig the following year. Get them some practice. I agree with you though in theory. I think Fournette and Mcaffrey are making great calls, considering the scrub bowls they would be playing in.

It's selfish and pathetic, I would roast any Clemson player

Dec 19, 2016, 11:19 AM

that would do that.

Team commitment means nothing to so many players these days. If you're going to play with a fear of injury, don't do anything, sit on your couch and never risk it. Also it's selfish because they would playing if they deemed the bowl worth it. Why didn't they just hang it up after their team lost 2 games?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

I assume you find it selfish and pathetic

Dec 19, 2016, 11:22 AM

When a coach moves to a new school prior to the bowl game?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It depends on the circumstance, but mostly, yes.***

Dec 19, 2016, 11:23 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What circumstances would make it OK?

Dec 19, 2016, 11:25 AM

I mean, the coach is bailing on his team, and is being selfish by looking out for his own interests above those of his team.

That seems to be the same argument being levied against Mcaffree

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Few things

Dec 19, 2016, 11:31 AM

A coach bears the responsibility of the team, his successes and failures are weighed on him. He can be fired for losing games, and it is a job for him. A player has the privileged to play for their team, given a scholarship and expected a commitment. So in my opinion they are apples and oranges off the bat.

In circumstances such as a promotional leap from an assistant coach to head coach at a school that needs a coach for the bowl game. If the head coach is unliked or ousted - if the writing is on the wall but the school is clearly waiting until post bowl game.

But like I said, mostly it is a selfish move on a coach to abandon a team before the bowl game, which would conclude the season.

I don't agree with it but I do understand it.***

Dec 19, 2016, 11:23 AM [ in reply to It's selfish and pathetic, I would roast any Clemson player ]

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Yeah, I can understand why McCaffrey is doing it.

Dec 19, 2016, 11:25 AM

But I believe it is very selfish on his part. Or are you disagreeing with me that it is selfish?

At this point, if he is actually worried about injury, get an insurance on this one game.

As a former student-athlete....

Dec 19, 2016, 11:36 AM

I am a firm believer that a player has an obligation to be there and play for his teammates and coaches.

That said, I'm not in his position and it's not my decision.

I don't agree with the decision, but I do understand why he's doing it.

I appreciate your insight.

Dec 19, 2016, 11:38 AM

I know you're a former player, and still waiting on that match quality soccer ball... =P

You know what...

Dec 19, 2016, 11:40 AM

now that you mention it, that dude never did call me back.

Would either of them been rehabbing injuries?

Dec 19, 2016, 11:28 AM

McCaffery and Fournette have both been hurt and missed significant time this year. Thats a pretty big factor in their decisions.

If that's the case then I would expect them to practice with

Dec 19, 2016, 11:33 AM

the team as much as possible, and be on the sideline with them during the game. Then I don't have a problem with it.

Re: Would either of them been rehabbing injuries?

Dec 19, 2016, 11:34 AM [ in reply to Would either of them been rehabbing injuries? ]

Would y'all be respecting Watson, WIlliams and Gallman if they all decided to sit out the bowl games to prepare for the draft? No, neither would I.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Watson had surgery before the Russell Athletic Bowl

Dec 19, 2016, 12:12 PM

to get a jump start on rehabbing. We know based on the South Carolina game that he could have played in the bowl game. I don't remember too many folks questioning his decision.

Now if a guy just up and quits so that he can start studying for his Wonderlic test it would be a different response.

This is a reasonable argument I suppose ...

Dec 19, 2016, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Would either of them been rehabbing injuries? ]

If they're injured, then they should not play based on the fact that they're still injured.

Are they still injured?

I know Fournette completely missed their last game

Dec 19, 2016, 12:22 PM

and he's been pretty much a non-factor since he got hurt mid-season and missed 3 or 4 in a row. THis just may have been an admission that he's not going to be at a level that helps the team and could actually risk his future. He took himself from "Doubtful" to "Out."

McCaffrey missed a couple of weeks in October. From what I remember though, he's been pretty effective since he's come back. But I don't know if its been one of those things where they've been rehabbing him through the week just so he could play on Saturday. I can't say I'm all that educated on his injury other than to know he's been dinged up.

Re: McCaffery decision ... Clemson fans, how would you have felt

Dec 19, 2016, 11:35 AM

I'm still ticked that McCaffery was not selected as a Heisman finalist ahead of those two OU players. He's more critical than either of those two. Teams had to prepare their D to stop HIM, and Stanford didn't have other weapons to win games, so teams were able to do that. He was #2 in 2015 and not even selected in 2016? Really? That show how ignorant those clowns are.

For me - it hurts your team's chances when this occurs, but where huge amounts of money is involved, it changes everything. I think all of best Alabama and Washington and OSU players need to skip the playoffs - :). JK - not really. I want NO EXCUSES from any of them.

follow the money..it's, sadly, sensible financially.

Dec 19, 2016, 11:57 AM

but make no mistake, our lack of kids who'd make the same decision as fournette or mccaffery is a direct result of dabo and the kind of kid he goes after..iirc,tajh was one of the "dandy dozen", dabo's first recruiting class..he was "all in" from day one.

conversely, if i'm the parent or agent of a top ten draft pick (particularly a rb), and his team is not playing for any serious hardware, i'd at least consider the risk..plus, against louisville, fournette might get stabbed in a pileup.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

I would care... I believe in commitment...

Dec 19, 2016, 12:23 PM

The school gave them that opportunity by giving them the stage to display their talent. The owe it to the school to complete their commitment, JMO.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 37
| visibility 2,544
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic