Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Peach war gets juicy: Georgia, SC spar over which is better
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 4,073

Peach war gets juicy: Georgia, SC spar over which is better

Jul 5, 2018, 8:03 PM

http://www.timesheraldonline.com/business/20180705/peach-war-gets-juicy-georgia-sc-spar-over-which-is-better

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Peach war gets juicy: Georgia, SC spar over which is better

Jul 5, 2018, 8:18 PM

Yep, SC does produce more peaches than GA, but CA produces more than GA and SC combined. TX has more Chick-fil-a's, so unfortunately GA can't claim that one either. However, where GA has everyone else beat is the number of Waffle Houses. So they've got that going for themselves and should take pride in taking claim as the Waffle House State.

Jul 5, 2018, 8:35 PM

At one time, Cherokee County in SC grew more peaches that the entire state of Georgia. Not sure if this is still the case after the Caggiano family closed the Sunny Slope Farms operation, but SC definitely is much larger than GA in peach production as well as recent football success. Jeff Stocks, a former Clemson lineman from the early 1970's married into the Caggiano family.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 5, 2018, 8:57 PM

Probably the largest peach orchard in the Southeast is located near Trenton, SC. I don't know the total acreage but I believe they are still expanding. It's on the highway going from Edgefield to Aiken.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2018, 5:14 AM

That large peach orchard in Trenton is Titan farms. Best peaches that are produced there come in August, the big reds. Most of us with family roots in Edgefield don’t start eating peaches until August.

Jul 6, 2018, 9:10 AM

Cooks Peaches are my favorite by far. Grown in the same area.

Jul 8, 2018, 4:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Peach war gets juicy: Georgia, SC spar over which is better ]

Y’all obviously have never ventured into the lower state in Barnwell county. There is a little town called Kline. That’s where the Chappell family has Pat’s Peaches. They are REALLY good.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 5, 2018, 9:04 PM [ in reply to Re: Peach war gets juicy: Georgia, SC spar over which is better ]

Bernett's down in Sumter has some pretty big orchards.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 6, 2018, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Peach war gets juicy: Georgia, SC spar over which is better ]

Several years ago there was a large orchard off I85 below Gaffney that ceased production. Not sure but think it was due to a couple of years when the crop was decimated by freezes. The loss of that farm likely put a large dent in Cherokee County's production status. Used to go to a large farm near York or Clover that I think was owned by a family with Clemson ties but don't recall the name.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

where do they even grow them in Ga? I've seen cotton, soy

Jul 8, 2018, 2:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Peach war gets juicy: Georgia, SC spar over which is better ]

and peanuts, but not many peaches

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 5, 2018, 9:02 PM

The few I've eaten this year has left me feeling that I have been ripped off!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 5, 2018, 9:29 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those subpar peaches must of come from Georgia.

Jul 5, 2018, 11:08 PM

;)

Re: Those subpar peaches must of come from Georgia.

Jul 7, 2018, 8:57 PM

Has to be!!!

Jul 5, 2018, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Peach war gets juicy: Georgia, SC spar over which is better ]

I had some Macs Pride I think that were not sweet at all. Disappointed.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There are no better peaches grown anywhere

Jul 5, 2018, 9:04 PM

Than those huge freestone beauties harvested each August in that 5-6 county section of Upstate SC

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really like Peaches...

Jul 5, 2018, 9:56 PM

as in juicy peachy Wimmens.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There are no better peaches grown anywhere

Jul 8, 2018, 11:42 PM [ in reply to There are no better peaches grown anywhere ]

My experience has.me partial to the peaches local to Johnston, but i frequently drive Hwy 11 between Inman and Chesnee. That orchard is huge!!

Any recommendations there?

Jul 5, 2018, 10:15 PM

Don't care a whit about volume, give me flavor. SC peaches by far, although the Fruita CO area has some amazing peaches. Surprising considering the arid climate.

Jul 6, 2018, 6:37 AM

I kinda like the ABB produce:

https://www.discogs.com/The-Allman-Brothers-Band-Eat-A-Peach/master/17245

No Question Palmetto Peaches are best in world. Proof:

Jul 6, 2018, 9:24 AM

Jul 6, 2018, 1:06 PM

It's according to who gets the best rain at the right time.

Jul 7, 2018, 7:38 PM

I've seen times when either was better than the other due to weather conditions during the development season. I've also seen years where I wouldn't eat either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 4,073
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic