Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
There are a lot of commercials I don't get...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 576

There are a lot of commercials I don't get...

Dec 12, 2019, 9:24 AM

but one that definitely doesn't make sense to me are the Idaho potato commercials. I have never noticed the option to choose where my potatoes are from. Why even have those commercials?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's just like the commercials for prescription drugs

Dec 12, 2019, 9:34 AM

Only your doctor can write a prescription. But with the commercials, people ask and pressure their doctor to try the drug they saw on TV. Same with the potatoes. If 100,000 people start asking or demanding that McDonald's only use Idaho potatoes and not Mexican ones, or whatever, that's the point.

Other thing is there's a potato shortage coming.

https://www.kmvt.com/content/news/Idaho-potatoes-rumor-cleared-566003391.html

So they want to make people aware the potatoes are fine, even though prices will likely be climbing.

It's one or both of these I'd wager.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's just like the commercials for prescription drugs

Dec 12, 2019, 9:44 AM

Makes sense. How about commercials like those BDO commercials? What % of the public use BDO?

A higher percentage than at any time in American history.

Dec 12, 2019, 9:59 AM

There are 11 million millionaires in the US.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A higher percentage than at any time in American history.

Dec 12, 2019, 11:03 AM

I qualify. Thats not saying much now a days. I still don't ever have a need for BDO.

yeah,watching TV these days makes one realize that

Dec 12, 2019, 9:45 AM [ in reply to It's just like the commercials for prescription drugs ]

there's some people walking around these days with some effed up issues. The intestinal stuff, the erectile problems, ROMAN, or whatever that outfit is....are there THAT many people afflicted with stuff like this? Is this because of meth and abusive substances? People really need to take better care of themselves.

The one where you have to be within eyesight of a bathroom at all times because of uncontrollable bowels -- dang, that's gotta be hellonearth.

And the list of the possible repercussions for taking these drugs to CURE these maladies are worse than anything I would ever want to have.

Makes me feel all that much more blessed to be healthy.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you see a lot of pharma commercials it's prolly because

Dec 12, 2019, 9:52 AM

you're watching old person programming.

football games

Dec 12, 2019, 9:55 AM

and concerts/music documentaries is pretty much all I watch.

This all started in the 1980's with the Summer's Eve

Dec 12, 2019, 10:09 AM [ in reply to yeah,watching TV these days makes one realize that ]

commercials. They were a riot back then.....like people went ballistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jkmczxipcps

Then you had tampon commercials shortly thereafter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wjUNfC6Pz0

Really Summer's Eve blazed an advertising trail. I mean every woman needs to do that sometime. And then tampons, every woman uses then, why not market your brand?

As for erectile dysfunction, it's very common evidently. Got this from Google:

About 5 percent of men that are 40 years old have complete erectile dysfunction, and that number increases to about 15 percent of men at age 70. Mild and moderate erectile dysfunction affects approximately 10 percent of men per decade of life (i.e., 50 percent of men in their 50s, 60 percent of men in their 60s).

That's a huge market for the little blue pill and all.

Heck, I ha(d) IBS. Ended up being Gerd though. And that's treated by a pill I see every now and then on commercials.

W-w-wait... how does IBS end up being GERD?***

Dec 12, 2019, 10:11 AM

I used to have the shitz like 3-4+ times a week.

Dec 12, 2019, 10:23 AM

Sometimes with horrible cramps, etc. Went to the doc, and he said I had IBS. Sent me to a gastroenterologist.

First up (at age 30) was a colonoscopy (up the butt to the small intestine). Nothing there, everything was fine. Wasn't IBS. Then they did an endoscopy (down the throat to the small intestine). There they found damage to the esophagus consistent with GERD, gastro-esophageal reflux disease (heartburn). I told the doc I hardly EVER have heartburn. I might take an antacid once or twice a YEAR. Doc told me that actually I hardly ever DIDN'T have heartburn. He explained to me that you can have acid reflux that doesn't come up high enough in the throat to be noticeable. That extra acid then goes DOWN instead, through the intestines and causes diarrhea and upset stomach symptoms, which I had. It was almost like giving birth at times, and would come in waves. Horrible squirts.

Doc told me to take omeprezole, one pill every morning. Cured. Hardly ever have upset stomach or squirts anymore. Didn't know how bad off I was until I was well. Had it my whole life really. Even as a kid. By age 30 I was taking Pepto 2-3 times a week. The omeprezole box says don't take it more than 2 weeks or whatever. He told me to take it forever. 10+ years now and no problems anymore. If I stop taking it a few days, I will know.

Many people are also huge hypochondriacs

Dec 12, 2019, 10:19 AM [ in reply to yeah,watching TV these days makes one realize that ]

Seems like it's not only become socially acceptable to have various ailments, some people actually think it elevates their social status. Like they're somehow more moral or righteous because they have a bunch of #### wrong with them. Bizarre trend IMO.

I bet 85% of chicks under 30 would tell you they have some varying degree of anxiety, depression, digestion issues, etc.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm not suggesting anxiety or depression aren't real

Dec 12, 2019, 10:27 AM

. I am suggesting folks, even my age use it for attention and excuses to not do stuff. This goes more so for anxiety than depression.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely. Everyone apparently has crippling anxiety now***

Dec 12, 2019, 10:50 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Poorly designed parking lots set me off.

Dec 12, 2019, 10:53 AM

There are places I simply will not go due to the parking situation. I'm not sure I can ever to back to Taco Casa, actually.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A lot of the commercials are also

Dec 12, 2019, 9:58 AM

aimed at investors or wanna be investors.

Replies: 15
| visibility 576
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic