Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
So this will seem callous to the plight of the furloughed
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 61
| visibility 960

So this will seem callous to the plight of the furloughed

Jan 22, 2019, 3:34 PM

Workers....it’s not, but I’ll proactively accept the criticism.

Anyways, five weeks of a massive government shutdown, and the impact on me has been zilch. Zero. Nada. In fairness, I haven’t been flying since the shutdown or anything like that, but still....

This astounds me. It reminds me of the guy in the office who gets on a conf call and thanks everyone for covering for him while he was out for three weeks, and it hits you that you had no idea he was out. It also makes me wonder how much we could pare down the size of the federal govt if we actually gave a flying crap about things like effiency, and the budget, and national debt.

Anyways, just musing out loud.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Total agreement...as to the plight of the furloughed

Jan 22, 2019, 3:38 PM

not getting paid? If these folks can miss a check or two, they are living beyond their means.
Are we gonna see Pelosi and Schumer march summa them in front of cameras to tell their sob stories?
Of course not - those elites dont want to rub shoulders with the UDP's!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CAN'T miss.......***

Jan 22, 2019, 3:39 PM

Re: Total agreement...as to the plight of the furloughed

Jan 22, 2019, 4:01 PM [ in reply to Total agreement...as to the plight of the furloughed ]

SOme people don't make much, so maybe they are just paycheck to paycheck and not in a position to save? Some areas are expensive to live in too, even if one is frugal.

What if those working without pay quit showing up?

Jan 22, 2019, 3:38 PM

Then you might notice an effect. Not sure what percent are still going to work every day.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What if those working without pay quit showing up?

Jan 22, 2019, 3:43 PM

They should! If TSA formed a walkout, it would be game over. It would lock up the country.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree.

Jan 22, 2019, 3:48 PM

They could have ended the shutdown a few days in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You would have seen Reagan vs Air Traffic Control part 2***

Jan 22, 2019, 3:54 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't they pretty routinely fail every test administered

Jan 22, 2019, 3:48 PM [ in reply to Re: What if those working without pay quit showing up? ]

when it comes to detecting prohibited items?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They made me dump out a bottle of water, once.

Jan 22, 2019, 3:53 PM

So there's that.

Why didn't you drink it?***

Jan 22, 2019, 3:55 PM

I just filled it up on the other side of security

Jan 22, 2019, 4:12 PM

the guy DID tell me "Over 3oz (or whatever) of water isn't allowed...but if you freeze it, it ain't liquid anymore, is it?"

Every other time I fly, I am pulled aside and made to go in

Jan 22, 2019, 4:01 PM [ in reply to They made me dump out a bottle of water, once. ]

the little cube for further inspection. They've taken my phone before, swiped my hands for what I assume to be gun residue, or I get a little more intrusive pat down.

I try to be nice, but it's never seemed to make a difference.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My mother gets the same thing, every time.

Jan 22, 2019, 4:06 PM

80+ year old white woman that leaves her city once every 2-3 years: America's next terrorist.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You think they want to stop an actual terrorist?

Jan 22, 2019, 4:10 PM

Those people are dangerous, too dangerous to take on for government pay. Stick to the old ladies and white dudes.

Re: Every other time I fly, I am pulled aside and made to go in

Jan 22, 2019, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Every other time I fly, I am pulled aside and made to go in ]

I imagine you wear you lack for respect of authority like a badge.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Every other time I fly, I am pulled aside and made to go in

Jan 23, 2019, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Every other time I fly, I am pulled aside and made to go in ]

I've noticed that if you travel with kids you get to simply walk through the metal detector. No kids=body scanner.

Also, some of the TSA agents are ### holes who don't communicate very well, and then act abrasive when you don't follow whatever procedure they've imagined at the moment.

i accidentally flew back from Clemson curb stomping Bama

Jan 23, 2019, 9:49 AM [ in reply to Don't they pretty routinely fail every test administered ]

with a liquid in my dopp kit in my carry on

Molestations would drop a lot.***

Jan 22, 2019, 6:01 PM [ in reply to Re: What if those working without pay quit showing up? ]

I'm all for it. Then the airports

Jan 23, 2019, 10:43 AM [ in reply to Re: What if those working without pay quit showing up? ]

could hire private firms who do a much better job at more competitive pricing. Cancels out another federal bureaucracy. Win win

GO TIGERS!!

I’m not saying just can everyone who is furloughed

Jan 22, 2019, 3:43 PM [ in reply to What if those working without pay quit showing up? ]

I may be stupid, but I’m not dumb.

I’m just saying this seems like a pretty clear signal that we have a lot of excess capacity and overhead that could easily withstand a world-class right-sizing.

I don't disagree.

Jan 22, 2019, 3:46 PM

I just don't know what percentage of these employees we might just be missing.

Who knows, maybe the Coast Guard is just wasteful government spending?

Re: I don't disagree.

Jan 22, 2019, 4:03 PM

It's hurting the tourist industry too.

It was 30 degrees here this morning.

Jan 22, 2019, 4:07 PM

What tourist industry?

Re: It was 30 degrees here this morning.

Jan 22, 2019, 4:12 PM

National parks and museums and the surrounding businesses that profit from the tourists visiting.

Then they should be fired

Jan 22, 2019, 4:21 PM [ in reply to What if those working without pay quit showing up? ]

They're going to be paid for working.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not sure why you'd be surprised***

Jan 22, 2019, 4:21 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Suprised that the govt is too big? no

Jan 22, 2019, 4:32 PM

surprised that after 5 weeks of govt shutdown, I haven't had so much as the first minor inconvenience, delay, or annoyance? Yes

Seems like that means you overestimated its impact/

Jan 22, 2019, 4:58 PM

how often you interact with the federal government. The federal government could definitely be shrunk, but sometimes people blow it out of proportion either to argue that it's too large or to argue about how essential its services are. You're much more likely to be affected by things that your local and state government do.

Another thing to keep in mind is this is only a partial shutdown.

I say I'm surprised that the shutdown didn't affect me,

Jan 22, 2019, 5:05 PM

you say that means I overestimated its impact.

Next you're going to tell me that if I burn my tongue with a sip of coffee, it means I underestimated its temperature.

The impact of the federal government, not the shut down

Jan 22, 2019, 5:09 PM

It'd be like thinking you were going to nearly die if you burned your tongue with a sip of coffee because people were telling you how dangerous hot coffee was.

Right, that's what I was saying.

Jan 22, 2019, 5:13 PM

I agree completely with you, primarily because you're taking what I'm saying, running it through a thesaurus, and restating it.

mainly because the things effected in the short term...

Jan 22, 2019, 4:49 PM

are things like the national parks and museums with the one biggie being the FDA and EPA not having the resources to do food/hazard inspections.

One big factor that will likely allow the shut down to continue is the IRS giving refunds during the shut down which apparently they weren't allowed to do during previous shut downs.

Found this from the WSJ...

Jan 22, 2019, 5:01 PM

https://www.wsj.com/articles/shutdown-hits-industries-nationwide-11548075600

thanks...read that this am.***

Jan 22, 2019, 5:06 PM

Re: So this will seem callous to the plight of the furloughed

Jan 22, 2019, 5:05 PM

I have been waiting 2 months now for the FAA to conduct a background check. I guess I should not be surprised that this has not moved forward.

any of you expecting a tax return any time soon should be worried.

I imagine I'll have to pay my additional taxes on time***

Jan 22, 2019, 5:41 PM

Jan 23, 2019, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Re: So this will seem callous to the plight of the furloughed ]

FAA has no business existing. FAA isn't legally authorized under the 10th. Find another gig.

If you rely on your tax return to bolster your finances, you have poor financial skills. Increase your allowances and learn how to properly manage your finances. Start by cutting costs.

The size and scope of the government is morbidly obese...

Jan 22, 2019, 6:04 PM

but the shutdown is a partial shutdown. And most of the people involved in the partial shutdown are still working.

We are too addicted to huge gubmit for a real shutdown.

Re: The size and scope of the government is morbidly obese...

Jan 22, 2019, 6:41 PM

think about the hit to the economy if half the non essential government got fired, and entitlements like food stamps and Medicaid were suddenly defunded. It would rock the boat enough to send us into a pretty bad recession, and it could lead us to the streets. So addicted, you better believe it.

Yes, we can't just rip the stitches out. That would bring

Jan 22, 2019, 10:44 PM

the disaster immediately upon us. But we are playing nuclear Jenga by not doing something severe to reduce spending quickly. It's going to be absolutely horrible when the clock runs out on the debt roulette we are playing.

I've been saying this for years.

Jan 23, 2019, 11:16 AM

When the funding stops, and it will, the whole world is going to be on its edge--literally a walking dead scenario.

And people will say you are unrealistic or radical....

Jan 23, 2019, 1:18 PM

but it's simple math. Something that is mathematically unsustainable and also primarily responsible for the well-being of hundreds of millions of people is sort of a big deal.

And when the hint of the US being bankrupt starts

Jan 23, 2019, 3:28 PM

it will be a whisper at first..then it will be a loud roar, and it will have started, and there will be nothing the US will be able to do to stop the onslaught. Markets will fail, industries will collapse, and then hyperinflation and regional wars over resources will start it. From there..it will just spread and get worse.

I just hope we can cobble it together for about another 30 years or so.

Re: The size and scope of the government is morbidly obese...

Jan 23, 2019, 10:15 AM [ in reply to Re: The size and scope of the government is morbidly obese... ]

The economy would actually improve.

Its called "Dead Weight Loss", when you increase the size of the government, the government requires more funding. The government then takes more in taxes. Government programs also produce economic revenue, profit, there is no P&L, nothing. Once money is taxed and sucked up by the government and put into one of their bureaucratic programs, its gone. The % of that money taken out of the economy is called "dead weight loss" and it cannot be recouped. It is gone, unless you reduce the size and scope of the government programs taking that money. As such, Dead Weight Loss affects the economy as a major loss. It is a financial burden for the economy, and increases all costs of goods and impacts demand. Meaning, more government and higher taxes means a less efficient economy, slower wage growth, stagnation, and less prosperity for all.

Trimming the fact and removing these government programs that are totally unnecessary will free up significant sectors and funding within our economy. We will see more economic growth by reducing the size of government.

Taxes and increasing government programs are the cholesterol that clog the fiscal arteries of a nation's economy, slowing it down and damaging the country over time.

I've been all for defunding the entitlements.

Jan 23, 2019, 10:28 AM [ in reply to Re: The size and scope of the government is morbidly obese... ]

What's your problem with cutting out the handouts and making bums go earn a living?

-Doc

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

Had to fly out today. Made sure I was super polite to the

Jan 22, 2019, 7:23 PM

TSA agents while going through security. Talk about some depressed, DGAF individuals...I felt bad for them.

Side note, it’s not just the gubmint employees getting screwed. Everyone talks about govt is too big, contract it out and privatize!! Well, when the agency handing out those contracts is shut down, those businesses aren’t getting paid either. I’ve got two friends looking at a lay-off if this ish doesn’t end soon.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Had to fly out today. Made sure I was super polite to the

Jan 23, 2019, 9:01 AM

And there are TNet posters getting screwed or about to get screwed unfortunately

https://www.tigernet.com/forum/thread/Shutdown-will-likely-cost-me-my-job--I-blame-Democrats-1880069?tstart=60

Jan 23, 2019, 7:39 AM

Typical conservative who doesn't care about anything unless it affects them personally.

Jan 23, 2019, 9:26 AM

typical liberal who oversimplifies discussions into emotion-laced soundbites.

Jan 23, 2019, 1:15 PM

There's nothing emotional in my post. The fact is that I've heard a lot of conservatives say they don't care about the shutdown until it affects them in some way. Like not being able to go on vacation because the TSA stops showing up for work.

No, your post was emotional. And simple. And

Jan 23, 2019, 1:36 PM

pretty much devoid of any real substance.

You took "Hey I'm seeing little fallout personally from the shutdown---makes me wonder if we could trim down the size of the bureaucracy a little" and transferred it to "You don't care about anyone but yourself!"

It's a child's argument.

my DEA friend

Jan 23, 2019, 9:48 AM

is feeling the financial burden.

he is still out there working and not getting paid.

good for him for still chasing bad guys during the shutdown.

No doubt, and that's a completely fair point.

Jan 23, 2019, 9:51 AM

I am grateful for those who continue to do their job and do it well despite the furlough.

I cannot honestly say for certain that I would be completely engaged in my work if I were working for free, even if it was a temporary scenario.

i do think the point you made is

Jan 23, 2019, 9:57 AM

valid as well.

I like you am not personally feeling the pinch, but I don't know how long it will be until the $h!t slides down hill

Re: my DEA friend

Jan 23, 2019, 10:17 AM [ in reply to my DEA friend ]

DEA has absolutely no Constitutional authority to exist. Suck's he isn't making a paycheck, but his job shouldn't exist and he needs to realize that. He needs to find work elsewhere.

so who do you propose to help with keeping the cartels

Jan 23, 2019, 11:01 AM

from flooding our country with more H and fentanyl to keep us ODing at record paces?

Any other out of the plethora of law enforcement agencies that

Jan 23, 2019, 12:18 PM

currently exist.

Re: so who do you propose to help with keeping the cartels

Jan 23, 2019, 1:16 PM [ in reply to so who do you propose to help with keeping the cartels ]

They want to build the wall, remember? The wall is a magical barrier that stops drugs and brown people from coming into the US.

Jan 23, 2019, 3:21 PM

When I have outright supported that?

You're just a troll at this point, you provide nothing by hyperbole, ad hominem, hearsay, and strawman accusations with zero sources.

Mods, please take out the trash.

Jan 23, 2019, 3:17 PM [ in reply to so who do you propose to help with keeping the cartels ]

The military. Its literally in their job description. It's also under the duty of the President in Article II.

Furthermore, Amendment 10 clearly says that issues not delegated to the Federal government's jurisdiction are left to the states.

So:

1. The military ia responsible for protecting our borders under the Constitution

2. The Constitution prohibits the Feds from "drug enforcement". Everything the Feds do related to illegal narcotics is none of their business. Therefore, it is the duty of individual States to enforce drug laws. If border states dont want drugs being smuggled in, its their job to stop it.

Article 1, Article II, and the 10th Amendment are all very clear on this.

You had me at...

Jan 23, 2019, 3:16 PM

"...and the impact on me has been zilch."

Replies: 61
| visibility 960
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic